PDA

View Full Version : Slapstick-Haley

jolus
2009-07-31, 07:23 AM
What is it with her now?

Two strips in a row with her double-entending something?
initiative? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0670.html)
dismiss? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0671.html)

I mean, is this going to happen regularly now? I somehow get the feeling the dagger was not the only thing she took from Crystal.

Tass
2009-07-31, 07:29 AM
The "dismisunderstanding" was clearly intentional. So no, the initiative one was a one time gag.

Haley is not turning into Crystal.

Snake-Aes
2009-07-31, 07:30 AM
You sound like you are complaining, citizen.
If you are complaining, then you are not happy, citizen.
Happiness is mandatory, citizen. The computer wants only to make you happy.
If you are not happy, the computer committed a mistake.
The computer does not commit mistakes, citizen.
Denying to be happy is defying the commands of the computer.
Disobeying the computer is an act of treason, citizen. Treason is punished with death <zaps death ray>

Assassin89
2009-07-31, 07:41 AM
There is a difference between comedy and stupidity. One part of Haley's mind wanted to go back to comedy. Crystal, on the other hand, has intelligence as a dump stat.

rxmd
2009-07-31, 07:46 AM
Or the dagger is actually a +4 Dagger of Crystallization.

Kish
2009-07-31, 07:54 AM
It would be amusing if Haley kept getting stupider and stupider in the comic, and then we visited Greysky City again and discovered that Crystal had disposed of Bozzok, was running the Guild brilliantly, and no longer held a grudge against Haley since she was glad to no longer have the dagger.

Amusing, but I don't expect it.

Andore Mordre
2009-07-31, 08:11 AM
It's funny.

That's all we need to know.

:smallbiggrin:

Murdim
2009-07-31, 08:12 AM
It would be amusing if Haley kept getting stupider and stupider in the comic, and then we visited Greysky City again and discovered that Crystal had disposed of Bozzok, was running the Guild brilliantly, and no longer held a grudge against Haley since she was glad to no longer have the dagger.

Amusing, but I don't expect it.That would be... one of the most frightening things I heard about in this crazy forum :smalleek:

I still think that Haley's "dismissal" of Celia was at least half-intentional (and quite true at least about the "doesn't know as much as she thinks she does" part - I'm not a Celia hater, but still). And that the initiative gag was just that ; a gag. Yet, I think I will be worried about it until we got some strips where Haley shows her usual above-average i(I)ntelligence. Damn you, you overanalyzing freaks :smallmad:

Kish
2009-07-31, 08:32 AM
(and quite true at least about the "doesn't know as much as she thinks she does" part - I'm not a Celia hater, but still).
Hm. This seems to be a feature of Rich's writing, actually. Who couldn't accurately be described that way in the comic? Elan, maybe Durkon, O-Chul, the creature in the darkness...But most of the characters could be, certainly including Haley herself as well as Roy, Vaarsuvius, and Belkar.

And of course Haley's insult was entirely intentional. The suggestion that she seriously thought she was supposed to insult Celia to cancel the summoning (and for some reason the summoning didn't get canceled any of the times she insulted Celia before) is just goofy.

Murdim
2009-07-31, 09:16 AM
Hm. This seems to be a feature of Rich's writing, actually. Who couldn't accurately be described that way in the comic?Except Celia is the only character to my knowledge to have this as her main character flaw, and to regularily take it to insufferable levels since her calling. These (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0539.html) kinds of (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0573.html) behavior (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0621.html) set the bar pretty high in terms of "doesn't know as much as she thinks she does"-ness.

Denying that Celia is particularly like that would be like denying that Haley is particularly greedy because the other members of the Order also wanted their part of loot, or that Belkar is particularly bloodthirsty because almost all the other protagonists also spends their lives killing stuff.

That doesn't mean that Celia isn't actually a very decent girl overall and that her hatedom is really deserved. It's just her big flaw, and a flaw who has been very exposed, probably even overexposed, in her latest storyline.

Optimystik
2009-07-31, 09:22 AM
I think the OP needs to reread the definition of "slapstick."

Now what Haley did could be more accurately described as "schtick" - at least it could if, as Kish said, every other character weren't using the same form of humor throughout the strip.

"Up a level, down a level"
"Nowhere, somewhere, anywhere"
"Turn wights"
"I love hexes"
Etc.

Murdim
2009-07-31, 09:24 AM
"Up a level, down a level"
"Nowhere, somewhere, anywhere"
"Turn wights"
"I love hexes"
Etc.Roy's sword must be cursed too !

Snake-Aes
2009-07-31, 09:25 AM
Roy's sword must be cursed too !

Not with all that cleavage.

Haven
2009-07-31, 02:21 PM
I assumed the initiative thing wasn't stupidity, but just paranoia, which has always been a character trait of Haley's. "Yeah, like we'd give her money for doing her job."