PDA

View Full Version : Paramount. Star Trek. Bwah?

Beleriphon
2006-09-04, 04:55 AM
Star Trek gets a remix (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=1&id=37772)

New effects, CGI? WTF? Did George Lucas buy Paramount?

I get remastering the show, and cleaning up the sound and colour, but this is Lucasing Star Trek. I'd always hoped this day wouldn't come, but I need to get my phaser and set it on intelligification.

Closet_Skeleton
2006-09-04, 05:13 AM
Funnily enough, I don't really care much about Star Trek.

The only real point I have to say is; why is CGI better?

Models have mass, models have their own shadows, models can be matt.

In what way is replacing them with overly shiney CGI an improvement?

If I made Star Trek today, I'd use models.

That was the good thing about the Lord of the Rings films. The director was prepared to have people build models when they could rather than computer generating everything.

Beleriphon
2006-09-04, 05:25 AM
Funnily enough, I don't really care much about Star Trek.
In what way is replacing them with overly shiney CGI an improvement?

CGI in and of itself isn't "shiney". It only looks that way in movies because they are colour balanced for a movie screen, and often aren't rebalanced for a TV screen. If you note the CGI in most good TV shows it does appear to look very real. Take BSG for example, the CGI looks real, and not "shiney". My issue isn't so much that it is CGI, rather that its been done at all. The charm of the orignal Star Trek was that it looks hokey, it doesn't need fancy effects to function.

JellyPooga
2006-09-04, 08:16 AM
Buh..buh...buh...You can't do that to Star Trek!

That's like...I don't know..sacrilege or something!

If someone wants to make a new series of mega special effects with different actors or whatever, that's fine by me (I just wouldn't watch it)....just don't touch the original!!

The Prince of Cats
2006-09-04, 08:39 AM
I am more interested in the rumour that Kirk and Spock are meant to be in the next ST film. Nimoy and Shatner, if certain leaks are to be believed...

The Black Prince
2006-09-04, 09:38 AM
Actually I like the idea of them upgrading Classic Trek as long as they don't go super crazy about EVERYTHING MUST BE UPGRADED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
P.S. If you want to watch Original Trek/TNG then tune into g4. You can get the info at g4tv.com

JellyPooga
2006-09-04, 09:41 AM
Actually I like the idea of them upgrading Classic Trek as long as they don't go super crazy about EVERYTHING MUST BE UPGRADED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From the sounds of the article that's linked in th OP, that's exacty what they're doing though.

Hungerdog
2006-09-04, 01:26 PM
CGI Star Trek, IMHO, rates right up (down?) there with colorizing classic B&W fims. It may be a bit snobbish, but I think it's just plain WRONG.

It is what it is-leave it the hell alone, and let it be the classic we all know and love.

"If if ain't broke, don't fix it."

Roland St. Jude
2006-09-04, 04:44 PM
I am more interested in the rumour that Kirk and Spock are meant to be in the next ST film. Nimoy and Shatner, if certain leaks are to be believed...

What I heard was...that the next Trek film is going to involve Kirk and Spock in their earlier years and that Nimoy and Shatner have signed contracts with Paramount for approval over who plays "their" characters and possible cameos. I think J.J. Abrams (of recent Lost fame) is set to direct.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-04, 05:59 PM
Heh, actually this looks pretty interesting to me. Then again I was never a big Classic trek fan (was raised on NG), so I'm not particularly troubled if they mess up.

However, I'd watch them all just to see what would happen.

As for the next Trek movie... is it supposed to be the original or next generation? I'd heard they weren't going to make any more next generation ones because they sold so bad, but thats stupid. Just actually make a decent movie and it'd sell fine. Despite the fact I prefer the next generation show, I loved the classic trek movies to death and the NG ones don't hold a candle. Its more about special effects than story.

The next one needs Q in it. If they could turn the books Q-Squared or the Q Continuum into a movie that'd be a dream come true. And I mean they need to hurry before Delancie gets too old, though he can always say he's altering his appearance because the rest of the crew is turning into fogies ;)

Roland St. Jude
2006-09-04, 07:19 PM
Well, the current scuttlebutt is that it'll be a prequel to TOS (The Original StarTrek). The TOS cast is just too old to reprise their roles and Kirk is dead; TNG is getting old and some of them have expressed something ranging from apathy to outright refusal to reappear. (In fact, I think Spiner has said outright he's too old to play the android any more and isn't willing to do so.)

So they seem to be looking prequel. The early meeting of Kirk & Spock seems to be a recurring rumor for the ST XI plot, though it's unclear exactly what that means. There's also some question about who they cast (big star/character actor/unknown).

I'd love to see another TNG film or two. Or a DS9 film for that matter. But the conventional wisdom is that the franchise needs 1) a rest and 2) a fresh perspective. The "Academy Years" idea has been kicking around for 30 years now, but no one's ever been willing to go there. Looks like the next film might.

Of course, this is all rumor and speculation.

Archonic Energy
2006-09-04, 08:27 PM
i think the academy years of picard would be more... intresting. the jack/Jean Luc fight for Bev's attention...

i'd prefer that to someone trying to do a young kirk

Anyone else remember what happened when they "re-mastered" Red Dwarf...

that's one thing i'll never forgive the BBC for.

Aminey
2006-09-06, 05:36 AM
oh no, they can't do that!