PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Campaign Journal-Flames from the Furnace

Anonomuss
2009-07-31, 11:54 AM
Yesterday I started my first DnD 4e Campaign as a character, which I think went well, and in the hopes that my experiences might be of some, small, use to others, as an example of some of the possible pit-falls, and the joys of being a DM, I have decided to share with the most benevolent people of the playground our Campaign Journal.

The world of the Campaign (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/flames-from-the-furnace) is one of my own devising, based around the world that is based off the 'Nentir Vale' presented in the back of the DMG, and its creation has been my project for the summer, and has only begun properly recently because of conflicting schedules.

Session 1

Characters
Each player, is a first timer and has started with a 1st level character, based upon their desires at the time:
-Reginald Flambritches: A gnome wizard ejected forcefully from his village, as a result of his propensity for fire magic, and the fact that he tends to cause wildfires while practicing. He has a Book Imp familiar, who disguises itself as a Badger. Reginald thinks it's a cat, and fondly refers to it as 'Francis Snugglekins'
-Bilorn Darkiron: A dwarf Artificer who was found unconscious when young in the wilderness, in the ruins of an ancient building, clutching a black staff that is utterly unremarkable in all ways, but for Bilorn's nature of clutching it at almost all times. He tends to roll 20s outside combat, but never within it.
-Donaar Baneblood: A Dragonborn Paladin of Bahamut who has the habit of turning CE every few minutes, before realising that he's playing a paladin, and taking back what he was doing.
-Lori: An Elven Ranger, who is very silent, but deadly accurate but managed to roll three consecutive 1s on d20s out of combat.

Session Synopsis
The group began the game mid-adventure, as per what I and the players had previously agreed. They were tasked with dealing with the goblin problem that the Barony of the Harkenwood, was having. The details provided by their resident quest-giver, the leader of the mercenary company that they are members of, were vague at best, to meet up with the Town mayor, Old Keller. Upon entry to the group of villages that comprised Harkenwood, the group found their way to the nearest tavern, Aunt Nonnie's Place, with cries of "Ale!"

They met Old Keller at the bar, talking to Nonnie Farwhere. And talked to him about what he required of them. He took them to one side, buying them a round (To more cries of "Ale!", especially from Bilorn), telling them that the town had been plagued by goblin attacks, and that they were located in a ruined monastery to the west of the barony. Bilorn agreed to do it immediately, providing that more ale was forthcoming, his personal dislike of the followers of Gruumsh showing through. Old Keller, agreed, and promised the others 25 gold pieces if they could accomplish the task (Cue cries from the dwarf, when he was reminded that gold could buy many things, ale included). They were also told that the purveyor of the Cliffside Brewery, Godira Halfthewer, had additional tasks that could also be completed for further reward.

So, off they went to the Cliffside Brewery, and witnessed some of the effects of the goblin raids, as the Brewery was under repair. They met the dwarf Godira, brewmistress of the cliffside brewery, and found that she was offering a 2gc reward per pair of Goblin ears they recovered. (This set off a partially in-character, partially out of character, discussion in which the players/characters wondered what kind of weird ear fetish she had, only ended when I mentioned that they might be needed for proof. Mainly to stop the players from trying to excite her by having Lori flash her ears...) She also wanted them to recover five barrels of ale that had been stolen by the Goblins. They tried to negotiate a 'better deal' and managed to get a concession of one barrel of ale, but were then sent on their way. (Cue cries of "To the Monastery!" from Reginald.)

They made their way to the monastery and arrived at the early onset of the evening, as the sun set beyond the monastery. The monastery itself was ruined, with only the main entrance hallway and its outbuildings still standing. The group, seeing the flickering of candlelight beyond the doorway of the monastery, and in one of the outbuildings, which was beyond their reach within the monastery's courtyard, decided to send their elf in to investigate the building. She stalked in stealthily, and noticed three goblins playing cards by candlelight, but almost stepped upon a goblin standing in the corner. Needless to say, her cover was blown, and she moved to leave, firing as she went, severely wounding several of the goblins. The rest of the group moved in, and dealt with the goblins rather summarily, although, as they were all finding their feet, they did have some rather interesting maneuvering errors. (Donaar standing behind Bilorn and Reginald for a large portion of the fight being a particularly large faux pa).

Once they gathered up the resulting loot, and seeing that the intact hallway continued onwards into a further, intact, part of the building, Reginald sent Snugglekins, his faithful familiar to investigate it, seeing as there was a subtly ominous chanting from beyond a turn in the hallway. While Reginald was instructing his Badger, Bilorn was investigating the room itself. It was much better preserved within these rooms than the exterior would suggest. Every few feet, the structure was propped up with wooden struts. The adjacent rooms were boarded off, but Bilorn and Donaar didn't let it stop them. Bilorn made his way in to one of the two rooms, and discovered an ancient spear before the "ceiling" gave way, and he was forced to leave. Donaar was even less fortunate, he didn't see a thing before he fell through the floor, into what was the foundations of the room. Meanwhile, Snugglekins had made his way back and informed Reginald that there were about 5 goblins, and a lot of vermin in the room, and that one of the goblins was performing some form of ritual. The group realised that because of their method of gaining access to the boarded up rooms (I believe swords were involved), that the goblins were most likely aware of their presence. As such Reginald sent the recently returned Snugglekins to alert them when the goblins were coming.

Snugglekins however, had an unfortunate run in with some giant rats, but as it was still within Reginald's eyesight, they were burnt to cinders, as he shouted "YOU KILLED SNUGGLEKINS, YOU B-", shortly before Snugglekins reappeared on his person. A short while later a tide of goblins, rats and fire beetles swarmed into their room. They made good use of burst powers, and enjoyed their first encounter with minions, but Donaar was brought down to 1 hit point, due to suffering a two critical hits from fire beetles (Who are fully the most dangerous first level creatures, IMO). The goblin hexer leading the group, however, fled back into the next room.

They healed up, and found him hammering on a locked, and very intact door , in a room filled with piles of rubble and a single flaming brazier. They "interviewed" him. He told them his name was Chulg. He had been happily hexer of a small goblin clan in the Windrise forest, before he had been recruited by a prophet of Tiamat two years earlier during Evenfall. His purpose in the Prophet of Tiamat's plan was to prepare a location for a meeting that he had arranged. He told them that it was currently in progress, that there were Human, Orc, Goblin, Kobold and Hobgoblin delegations were present. When pressed for details, he simply said that they were all situated in different rooms, through two sets of doors and down into a hidden, and rather extensive dungeon. He also said that there were four creatures in the next room, two handlers and two mounts. He tried to flee, but was tackled by the dwarf, and knocked unconscious. He was shortly thereafter liberated of his ears. They searched the room and found a gem left in the base of the brazier.

Lori picked the lock of the door leading into the next room, and cautious because of the noise the lock opening, moved away from the door. Nothing emerged from the other door, although the group heard growling coming from the next room. They took up positions as Reginald mage hand-ed the door open, revealing the room, containing a hobgoblin, and a wolf crouching behind a pit, which itself lay in front of a statue. Over to one side Reginald could see a level, and a set of iron bars, behind which something was slavering. The group began to whisper, debating whether to open the cage doors (reasoning that they could hide behind the door as whatever was in the cage savaged it's handler and the other lesser wolf, or to do their best to prevent it from being released. As they were discussing it, the hobgoblin standing inside the door happened to look in their direction, through the mysteriously open doors. He let out a cry, and the group's decision was made for them.

They took the fight to the goblins, the elf dropping her bow to valiantly charge into the room to bar the path of a kobold who had run out from behind the statue to prevent it from pulling the lever. The others closed with their enemies, and although the Hobgoblin caused serious wounds upon Donaar (Scoring yet another crit on the unfortunate Dragonborn). Donaar, and Reginald's Flaming Sphere managed to wear the hobgoblin down. The creatures fell, one by one, as the Dire Wolf gnashed at the cage bars in vain.

The session ended, as the group discovered an Altar to Tiamat (Actually a desecrated, Temple of Bahamut.). As Donaar clered it and re-consecrated it, he and his companions were shrowded in divine light.

Thoughts
Reaction
As my first session as DM, I thought it went well, although at times I struggled in the areas that I hadn't fully prepared. The brewmistress' and the Hexer's names was pulled from the depths of my mind, some kind of last resort (I believe I first called the Goblin 'Chuck').
I think it helped that I had a first dungeon prepared that the players could walk into as they learned how to play both their characters and the game. As things go, I spent much less of the game teaching the players than I had expected, as they've all played Rpgs of some sort or another before. I think it helps that the DnD 4e system is quite receptive of new players.

The players all seemed to enjoy it. From talking to them about it, I think that they enjoyed the co-operation of the experience, coming from a mainly table-top wargaming background. And thankfully, they're all willing to continue, so I hope to continue this Journal, as long as people enjoy it.

Bigbrother87
2009-07-31, 01:23 PM
I enjoyed this, please do continue it. It seems like you did have a great first session, both for a campaign and as a DM.

As a player, I can say that having your discussions of tactics cut short and a decision forced on you can be both infernally frustrating, and something that really draws you into the game world. This happened last session in my own game.

I also liked the pair of ears thing. And the fact that they took Chulg's ears, but he's still alive...

AstralFire
2009-07-31, 01:27 PM
-Donaar Baneblood: A Dragonborn Paladin of Bahamut who has the habit of turning CE every few minutes, before realising that he's playing a paladin, and taking back what he was doing.

Sounds like the group's a hoot. :smallbiggrin:

Anonomuss
2009-07-31, 01:58 PM
I enjoyed this, please do continue it. It seems like you did have a great first session, both for a campaign and as a DM.

I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I have enjoyed many campaign journals in the past, and it's reassuring to know that I can provide a similar service. I intend to continue it, and the next session is tentatively on thursday.

I also liked the pair of ears thing. And the fact that they took Chulg's ears, but he's still alive...

Yep, this represents the highly mercenary nature of the group, which they took to heart immediately but also the fact that they generally have a good alignment, so they couldn't bring themselves to just kill him, as he didn't try to kill them, his actions consisting of missing and summoning a dark cloud.

Sounds like the group's a hoot. :smallbiggrin:

It really is, I'm a very lucky DM. :smalltongue:

Sipex
2009-07-31, 02:29 PM
Very nice, I like the addition of the side quests, I constantly forget to add those in myself.

I did notice that your dungeon seems heavily influenced by the dungeon set included in the D&D starter pack. Not that it's a bad thing, I've actually been curious to see how well that would pan out.

Kol Korran
2009-07-31, 03:06 PM
nicely written! well done! i loved the "cue in...." parts, and the player's responses. it seems you're all there to have a relaxed good time, adding much humor to the game.
that makes a very fun read :smallbiggrin:
i'll try to follow up on this, i look forward.

one note though: the room descriptions were a bit hazy, didn't quite catch what was where. but that matters less than the actual experience. just give in the broad details of those.

Kol.

Anonomuss
2009-08-07, 03:45 PM
I did notice that your dungeon seems heavily influenced by the dungeon set included in the D&D starter pack. Not that it's a bad thing, I've actually been curious to see how well that would pan out.

That's true, I started with the first two rooms, almost entirely unchanged (except for the collapsed and boarded rooms off the first room). It worked out well, and the background of Harkenwood itself is solid. It's a very good adventure to begin with starting players. The concept is pretty solid. One question that might arise with your players, and did with my own, is why the town guards don't just take care of it. My response, which perhaps could have been more refined, was that they needed to protect the town against bandits, and were assisting the town in repairing the damage from the goblin attacks.

one note though: the room descriptions were a bit hazy, didn't quite catch what was where. but that matters less than the actual experience. just give in the broad details of those.

That sounds like a good idea alright, I'll try to make it a bit clearer in my next post (Tomorrow at the latest, as the game took place yesterday, over about 7 hours). Would you like me to edit the first post with a more accurate description of each room

Anonomuss
2009-08-08, 03:10 PM
Session 2

Session Synopsis
As the divine light that surrounded the characters cleared, they felt completely rejuvenated (As per an extended rest). Once they recovered from the, most assuredly divine, experience. The party's attention turned to the dire wolf, present in the room behind a lowered set of iron bars. The party, having heard that said Wolf was used as a mount, wanted to tame it for their own uses. The party tried several times (Most successfully, through clever use of Dragon Breath and Ghost Sound) to intimidate the wolf (Although Bilorn's attempts at imitating a dominant male dire wolf, were unsurprisingly lacking), behind the bars, succeeding in making the wolf notice them as a substantial threat. They let up the bars and the wolf advanced towards Bilorn, who was unwisely positioned before the exit. However, Donaar stepped in and attacked it, snarling as it did so, causing it to step back away from the party once more. Lori ran towards it, and lept atop the wolf. She fashionesd a mussle/collar of sorts for the wolf. And after trying to buck her off unsucessfully, the wolf sunk to its knees and relented.

Once they were finished investigating the room, including two small alcoves to its north side, and a pit dug before a statue of a Priest of Ioun, which was fitted with ropes, which it was clear had been used to try and pull the statue into the pit, the party opened the door to the west which was unopened. The door opened easily to reveal a passage beyond, which sloped downwards into the ground, illuminated by torches held in wall brackets. They followed the passage down its course, but the Dire Wolf was sent outside to wait, as it coudn't fit down the passage. It descended about 15 feet at which point it branched into two seperate paths, perpendicular to the one they were travelling on. The northern path sloped upwards once more, while the southern one continued along, turning eastwards at its end, and a door was clearly visible along its western end. Snugglekins, the book-imp/badger/cat (With its ability to turn invisible as a minor action) was sent ahead to scout out the northern path, as both Reginald and Bilorn could sense old magic radiating from many of the rooms, but were unable to identify it. It returned swiftly, telling Reginald that it heard screaming and shouting coming from a seperate building out in a courtyard. The party deduced that this was the Harkenwood scout who had been missing for nigh upon three days, being tortured by its captors.

They moved back upwards, and back into the moonlight. They heard little as they emerged from the tunnels and set about finding a way into the small building, nestled in the middle of the courtyard, which they had seen earlier. They approached the door, opposite the stable on the northern side of the northern side of the courtyard. They prepared to enter, Donaar in front of one side of the double door, and Lori on the other. They entered simultaneously, Donaar trying to kick down the door and Lori shoulder charging the other. Donaar ended up with his foot through a partially rotten door, while Lori managed to clear it, revealing the room within. A large goblin stood beside the western edge of the reasonably sized (30ft by 30 ft room) room, beside a rack of painful looking whips and barbs. The northern edge of the room was lined with three cells. Two of which held two barbaric goblins, slavering at the mouth and thrashing against the bars of their containment. The third held a male human, who had his back laid open and was sprawled against the far side of the cell. The party moved in to engage the large goblin (A Goblin Underboss), but he danced through their guard over to a control panel in the far corner, taking quite a few healthy attacks in a row, but landing a few in return. As he pulled some switches, the cages containing the two barbaric goblins opened, releasing them upon the party. (The Group asked me at this point asked me if this was truly level appropriate, I think this was mainly due to the fact that it was their first fight with an elite monster.) The party moved towards the exit, before Reginald managed to hit everone in the room, but the party, with Flaming Hands (Incuding the, unconscious, male human). This appeared to be the turning point, as the encounter posed the party little challenge following the attack.

Once they had mopped up the goblins, they managed to decipher the control panel, and narrowly avoided landing the bars of one of the other cells on top of Lori. They also found their first magic item, which was (very) well received (And was to make a large difference later on, a Vicious Fullblade in the hands of a Str 18 Paladin can do a LOT of damage.). They revived the unconscious Human Male. He introduced himself as Xarthain, and confirmed that he was indeed the town scout. Bilorn tended to his wounds with some Restorative Infusions. Lori went to check on the Dire Wolf through the gate, while the rest of the party found four horses in the stables.

The group moved back into the tunnels under the monastery, and descended back down into the tunnels, with Xarthain in tow.

Moving cautiously back down the southern tunnel, Reginald and Bilorn, working in concert managed to identify the purpose of the magic that seemed to permeate the hallway, namely to ensure the silence within and without the rooms along the corridor. The closest room, just before the bend of the corridor that headed east, upon examination was found not to be ensorcelled with the same enchantment as the others, as the sound of falling rubble could clearly be heard on the other side of the door. The party burst through the door, and spotted five hobgoblins scattered around the room amongst piles of rubble, one holding a long 10 foot pole and poking it into the roof of the underground room. Four poles in the center of the room, supported the roof, despite the cavity in its roof. Lori spotted gold coins in amongst the piles of rubble, explaining the excavation. They quickly destroyed three of the pillars, bringing the roof down on the hobgoblins, the moonlight shining down through the newly created sinkhole. Although one remained alive under the rubble, it was quickly dispatched by the party and they collected the gold and went on their way.

The next room they met, was shielded by the ancient magic, and so the party was unable to listen in on the happenings within. Therefore, Reginald let Francis Snugglekins down from his shoulder and let him into the room, shrouded by its Book Imp magic. Francis returned shortly afterwards. He told Reginald that there were two of "him" within, "him" meaning Xarthain. (This led to some questioning of Xarthain about any known identical siblings, before the party remembered Francis' less than precise manner of describing what it saw.) They sent Xarthain in, and he greeted them, inaudible, except to Reginald, who poked his head in beyond the boundry of the room, but still beyond the boundry of the room. The room had three book cases and two (visible) guards and a few chairs and a table. Xarthain tried to convince the humans that he was party to their event, although it was clear that he was about to mess things up. Knowing this, Reginald moved into the room, readying his magic about him. He was just about to fire, when the guard within cried. "Oh, there's another of you. My, you're short aren't you." Reginald promptly informed them that he had been invited to enjoy the candy that was being given out. The guard asked them where their invite was, to which Reginald replied "Chulg took it off us.", while whispering outside the room, using Ghost Sound "Get ready".

The guard nodded, accepting the story completely. "I'll go and get it off him then," he said, and moved outside the door. Outside, the party accosted him, their weapons flashing, and took him out without so much as a whisper, the sound protection within the room providing them no additional protection. (I believe the Paladin hit for about 36/37 damage, which at the time dropped the hapless guard to about -13... Cue much celebrating and high-fiving.) At the same time, Reginald was looking for magical tomes, and discovered another of the human guards lurking amongst the bookshelves. Seeing something shifty about him, Reginald promptly picked another bookshelf. Unbeknownst to him, the guard stalked after him, and was lowering his trousers (I believe Reginald's player uttered a few expletives when he failed his perception roll, but I allowed a re-roll for Francis) when Francis spotted him, and alerted Reginald, who spun around and delivered an unsuspected blow to the guard which laid him out, and spilled out the guard's candy which had been held in an in-trouser pocket. The last guard ignored the event, as it seemed to be a regular occurance. He left the room looking for the third guard, who seemed to be taking a long time, and was promptly set upon and taken out.

They passed across the hallway, after Reginald had picked up an ancient Mage's Tome, which yielded two rituals immediately, Silence and Secret Page, but the remainder of the book seemed to be writen in gibberish. Reginald, however, upon learning the rituals, recognised the gibberish as a form of Secret Page that was beyond his ability to decipher without further prolonged study. Bilorn also noted, that if he held his staff in a certain way, his hands slid into grooves in the haft of his mysterious staff, and the head reshaped into a more deadly tip, and magic began to circulate within it. Across the hallway, they burst into the next closest room, and found themselves within a temple dedicated to Tiamat. Lori's arrows laid two of them low before the rest were even aware of the party's presence. The rest fell to the party's ministrations, and they collected the offering that had been made at the alter to Tiamat, before moving on once more.

They stopped outside the last room on the eastward passageway, they halted for a moment to heal up and ready themselves for the next room. (At this point they hadn't even taken a short rest since the prison room. Although, the temple room was their first "Straight-up fight" since that point, the other's being dealy with cleverly by the players so as to suffer the least damage.) Reginald let Francis in again, but after several seconds he hadn't returned. And so, the door was burst open with a cry of "SNUGGLEKINS!!!". Once the door was open, it was revealed that the room was a rec-room of sorts. Three Orcs stood around a card table, tattered playing cards in their hands, and teeth scattered over the table. Elsewhere in the room, three goblins stood huddled around a small brazier, and two others sat reclined on a fallen masonry pillar. The far corner also held the statue of an elven warrior, and several casks of beer, presumably those stolen from the Cliffside Brewery. The party strode into the room, slaying goblins and orcs (Minions, all but one) with almost impunity, and the last Orc fell to the Paladin's fullblade after suffering several turns of his divine challenge.

Lori examined the statue in the corner, and found that it bore a resemblance to an Elven Hero before the fall of continent wide civilisation, whose tale was told by still by Elven Bards in the halls of her homeland. She looked him over, and touched the stone of its being. It's cloak, however, gave way. She picked up and put it on (It was a Cape of Mountebank), and Bilorn noted its magical properties. The rest of the party gathered the goblin ears from the deceased. Bilorn noticed that there was a pressure plate underneath a bear skin rug, which lay on the ground. He jumped up and down on it, before there was a loud howl from outside, which reverberated through the ceiling, bypassing the magical silence's effects. The party figured that Bilorn had triggered a pit trap outside, which the Dire Wolf fell into.

They went out to check on it, and try to get it out. When they arrived outside, they found Chug holding on the hempen rope leash that Lori ahd used to bind its muzzle, and acted as it's collar, giving the wolf some leverage to get itself out. Bilorn stood in front of Chulg, and he let go of the rope in fright, sending the wolf tumbling into the pit once more. It fell to Reginald to use Tenser's Floating Disc to get the DIre Wolf out.

Once that had been dealt with the party finished moving down the last length of corridor and found themselves in a rather ordinary and bare room, in which four individuals stood: An orc, a goblin, a hobgoblin and a human. The four individuals were chatting amongst themselves. Two discussed the protection of their sects. (Needless to say, they were both against unprotected sects.) The other two were loudly complaining about being required to attend this ceremony, as the same requirement had not been given to their ceremonies. The individuals were stunned as Xarthain walked straight into their midst. The party moved in to make the kill. Bilorn, Reginald and Lori attacked from range, targeting the hobgoblin, who fell under their fire. The human was attacked by Donaar, who missed him, before the Human's head turned to a skull, and Donaar fled from his horrific visage. The human then fled from the room, past the party, who had been incapacitated (Either prone or blind) from the Orc and Goblin's ranged attacks. Reginald and Bilorn stood (From being prone), and attempted to halt the human before he escaped, but their efforts were for naught as he fled beyond their sight. Lori, managed to recover from her blindness, and hearing her friends cries, ran after the human.The rest of the party combated the orc and the goblin. Reginald conjured his Flaming Sphere to to great effect, as it's heat wore their opponents down. Xarthain stabbed the orc with his dagger, and it staggered back, pulling out the dagger derisively, and stepping into the centre of the Flaming Sphere, dying instantly. The Goblin followed soon after, unable to stand up to the might of the dwarf, dragonborn and Gnome combined.

Meanwhile, Lori had almost caught up with the Human. He turned and repeated his Skull Visage trick (Cause Fear), causing Lori to stop momentarily. She drew her bow, and fired after him, her arrow hitting his leg, and causing him to fall. She ran up to him and fired another arrow into his other leg. When she was sure he was going nowhere, she began to question him, trying to pull his cloak away from his face so she could see who he was. She got nothing from him but gibberish, and various praises to Tiamat. Suddenly without warning, the arrows left his legs, and the wounds dissapeared, and he left at speed.

Lori left him go and re-joined the rest of the party. They opened the door that lay at the far end of the room, and followed the passage that lay beyond. They opened the door at its end, and were confronted with the sight of a Kobold prostrate before an altar, which was flanked by two five-headed Dragon statue, and upon which a clutch of eggs was laid. Hearing the intruders, the Kobold turned and launched a bolt of lightning at Reginald. Reginald replied in kind with a bolt of silvery force, before Donaar ran up to the priest and laid his stomach open with his fullblade (Scoring 30-35pts of damage with an encounter power). The kobold stumbled backwards, bleeding profusely. He landed upon the alter, and spewed a wave of lightning upon the eggs, causing them to hatch, with a crack like a peal of thunder.

Two blue dragon wrymlings emerged from their eggs, and immediately set upon the killer of their "mother". Two bursts of lightning from their still dripping gullets burst across the party, knocking Lori and Xarthain unconscious and severly wounding Bilorn. They then propelled themselves towards Donaar, their claws and biting mouths scraping against his armour, but doing little to inconvenience him. The party healed their wounds as best they could and focused their fire upon one of the wrymlings, felling it before it could attack Donaar again. The other fled from the fight, and dissapeared beyond the altar. The party pursued it cautiously, and found that it had disappeared down a hole in the ground. It was clear, once a light had been shone down the hole, that it continued into another series of caverns. Reginald picked up the Kobold's staff, and found that it was able to amplify the spreading power of his magical attacks (Staff of the War Mage).

Anonomuss
2009-08-11, 04:46 PM
Notes
I allowed the party to attempt to tame the Dire Wolf, for the simple reason that it was available as a mount in AV. I ran it as a Skill challenge, with Nature, Intimidate, Bluff, Athletics and Thievery as possible skills. I also added an element of combat to the encounter, as I figured that the wolf would be more intimidated by physical force than other things, and so attributed successes to particularly successful attacks.

The encounter in the prison was simply against a Lvl 4 elite monster, and I intended that opening the cells would simply be a skill challenge, with successes allowing Xarthain out without releasing the Goblin Skullcrushers. However, the party were simply standing back, and I figured that it would be the Goblin's first reaction.

Thoughts
This completed the 'Prelude' section of the campaign, that I had written, and from now on in, the party is free to explore the world as they wish, but they will of course still receive nudges in interesting directions from NPCs.

As our second session, the party had a much greater understanding of their characters, both mechanically and in-character. This led to much quicker decision-making, but also longer in-combat discussion, and more 'rules-lawyer'-like tendancies. (Bilorn's player, for example, began to get far enough into the meta-game, that he told me when he hit or misses, although I still confirmed).

I found that players are very quickly able to detect when you fudge rolls and other oddities in their favour, as Reginald's player mentioned once or twice that I was going too easy on them. I may have been, but it's mainly a gut reaction, due to playing with my friends, and I suppose it's something I will have to learn not to do again in future, but if I find myself doing it again, I hope I can be more tactful about it. :smalltongue:

My players are getting quite clinical about the rooms, and it wasn't until they started to look under the bear skin rug that was meant merely to be a last minute ornamentation, that I kind of snapped with it. I tossed in a pit trap, that served no more purpose than to slow them down, and to keep Chulg in the player's minds. This was also present in the party's use of Francis as a scout, which is quite effective, but I found that the quickest, and most successful encounters were preceded without the supply of such information. In future, I may not allow Francis out of Reginald's sight, although this might seem too severe.

Animals in the play room can disrupt play, as I found both this week and last. It's really unfortunate that the house the session took place in, has two of the cutest cats I have ever seen. Ama and Boo have been one of the biggest distractions with my game. Especially when Boo gets on the table and runs off, batting one of our d20s, or when Ama climbs up behind my DM screen, and play stops as my players grab their cameras. It's an interesting contrast, to some of my player's hack and slash instincts.

The DM role is enjoyable, as It's fun to see my player's engaging with their story, and of course to be in charge of the whole show. However, it does mean you have very little time to take a quick break. While players can eat all the snacks they want, in their "down times", the DM is almost constantly engaged by one player or another. Between the two sessions I've had (Four and Seven hours) respectively, I believe play has stopped fully twice for Pizza. In future, I think I'll insist I take at least 1 15 min break each two hours. Otherwise, I believe that it can take a lot out of you, as towards the end of the last (quite ill-advised) seven hour marathon, I forgot much of my plot exposition, in favour of the "unprotected sects" joke, presented in the previous post.

All in all, I've really enjoyed the games i've played, and my players can't seem to get enough. We've another 3 hour game on thurday, I'll let you all know how I get on.