PDA

View Full Version : SNAKES ON A [] PLANE!!!!

Finwe
2006-08-18, 12:26 AM
I just saw the ten o'clock showing of Snakes on a Plane. I was very surprised at how well it was made. Even without all the hype about Samuel L. Jackson, it still may have been a decent movie. Still, Jackson shouting "[the obviously inappropriate profanity laden sentence that we all know he said]" made the movie :)

Elrosth
2006-08-18, 12:42 AM
Honestly, I didn't know what to think about Snakes on a Plane. First off, I haven't seen it yet. But from what I've heard on the advertisements, it sounds exactly like there were some movie producers hanging out, getting drunk and high, and one of them suggests a movie plot.

"Alright, so we've got all these movies with the planes and stuff, but get this.. I've got it... we put... ready? Snakes. We fill the plane with snakes. That's our movie."

Either that, or somebody lost a bet, or got dared or something.

I've been told by a friend that there are some sites and stuff generating bad publicity, but I hadn't read any of them. My opinion was based purely on the information given to me by the people *trying* to get me to watch it.

So tell us. Is there a deeper plotline than just a plane randomly filled with snakes that makes it better? Did they somehow actually pull off the "random plane w/ snakes" premise really well? How so? I'd like a reason not to think this movie sounds plain silly. :)

Finwe
2006-08-18, 12:57 AM
The plot was actually well done. The movie's about a guy who witnesses a mob boss murdering some guy in Hawaii, and he's flying to L.A. to testify against the mobster. The mobster manages to sneak a crate full of snakes onto the plane, and uses pheromones to make them go crazy.

If you were to go into the movie thinking it was just another action/horror movie, and you're not into all the cult hype, you might find it to be pretty good.

Elrosth
2006-08-18, 01:03 AM
Ah. Alright, well thank you. For the life of me I could not think of one plausible way for a bunch of snakes to get on a plane without it being silly... I might check it out now.

Beleriphon
2006-08-18, 02:09 AM
You don't consider that silly?

I think the whole point is that this will be silly. But in one of those fun ways, that makes you have a good time and buy a giant ass bag of popcorn.

Elrosth
2006-08-18, 02:40 AM
I meant *completely* silly, like no explaination or anything. The snakes just suddenly infested the plane right before takeoff. Someone putting them there for an agenda, as implausible a solution as it may be, would be enough for me to watch the movie and not wonder why the f those snakes are there in the first place.

Also, my main question was whether it was good in a dramatic way, or good in a silly way. Even if it was silly, I could still enjoy it.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-08-18, 04:00 AM
The plot made sense, despite the sheer unlikeliness of the events. The acting and writing was intentionally over the top, and got all the elements of a great R-rated B-movie in there. In short, the perfect film.

For a non-profane catchphrase, how about:
"Great. Snakes on crack."

Archonic Energy
2006-08-18, 05:22 AM
"Great. Snakes on crack."

*Pictures snakes on Crack*...

anyway is it really that good?

ghost_warlock
2006-08-18, 09:54 AM
Personally, I've always hated movies about "animals...but CRAZY!" or oversized animals. It's just so...hokey! And not "good" hokey like Evil Dead. Just annoyingly BAD hokey.

What's next? "Hippos on a Plane?" "Locusts on a Plane?" "Balloon Animals on a Plane?" "Bats on a Plane?" "Batman on a Plane?" And then there's the inevitably worse sequals - "Snakes on a Bus" and "Snakes on a Yacht." And "Charlie's Angels vs. Snakes on a Plane in Space with a Bomb!!!!!" ::)

Zophiel
2006-08-18, 10:27 AM
I'm going to see it tonight with a group of about 30 people or so. First the pub for grub and beer, then Snakes on a Plane!

I think some people are just taking the movie too seriously. Is it far-fetched? Yes. Is it hokey? Yes. But when these things are done intentionally, and the movie doesn't even take itself seriously, it creates something that many people find enjoyable. It's cinematic pulp, B-movie type stuff all the way, and as with so many other things in this world, it just comes down to personal tastes. Some people like campy movies, others don't. It's that simple.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-08-18, 01:44 PM
Personally, I've always hated movies about "animals...but CRAZY!" or oversized animals. It's just so...hokey! And not "good" hokey like Evil Dead. Just annoyingly BAD hokey.

What's next? "Hippos on a Plane?" "Locusts on a Plane?" "Balloon Animals on a Plane?" "Bats on a Plane?" "Batman on a Plane?" And then there's the inevitably worse sequals - "Snakes on a Bus" and "Snakes on a Yacht." And "Charlie's Angels vs. Snakes on a Plane in Space with a Bomb!!!!!" ::)
Weeell, it's not so much "crazy." Just in permanent mating/feeding behavior, which let's face it, is the only way to get snakes to attack people who don't so something else to piss them off.

Some thought went into the movie. Just not very much.

And the sequel will totally be Plane on a Snake. It'll be very short, though.

The snake dies

Jibar
2006-08-18, 01:46 PM
I'm toying with seeing this.
I know it probably won't live up to hype. I know that, knowing me, I'll jump so much. I know that it will be rather basic.
But...Samuel L. Jackson....plus a plane...and snakes...
So...damn...tempting...
Must...resist...Win...du...

bosssmiley
2006-08-19, 12:34 AM
Wasn't this the movie entirely derived from a single photoshopped SLJ image that did the rounds on the Net? Or have I got that backwards? ???

BelkarsDagger
2006-08-19, 12:48 AM
I thought Snakes On A Plane started as a joke/concept/idea on a random Blog, then a friend made it into a movie, and they got Samuel Jackson to play in it, apparently.

Being around snakes all day (my brother keeps around 6), I find this concept kind of... dull.

Spuddly
2006-08-19, 06:17 AM
Seek and ye shall find:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snakes_on_a_plane

Sneak
2006-08-19, 06:33 PM
SLJ:

I'm here tonight to present the award everyone's been waiting for: best movie. Now, this award holds a special place in my heart because next year I'll be winning it for Snakes on a Plane. Now I know, I know that sounds cocky, but I don't give a damn. I am guaranteeing that Snakes on a Plane will win best movie next year. Does not matter what else is coming out. The New James Bond... no snakes in that! Ocean's 13... where my snakes at? Shrek the Third... green, but not a snake. No movie shall triumph over Snakes on a Plane. Unless I happen to feel like making a movie called Mo' (censored) Snakes on Mo' (censored) Planes.

That is the title of the sequel.

Argent
2006-08-19, 07:22 PM
I just got done seeing this, and I have to report... the movie is exactly what it should be. It doesn't take itself too seriously, it's campy and over-the-top and perfect. You can identify who's gonna get snakebit as soon as the ancillary characters start getting introduced -- and with most of the snake kills, there's enough time for the setup for you to think, "OHHHHHHHHHHH NO" in anticipation.

I loved the heck out of it and I'll definitely buy it when it comes out on DVD. Good times.

The Demented One
2006-08-19, 07:28 PM
Anyone heard about the sequel? I hear it's gonna be called:
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8878/snakesontheplanesdg7.jpg

ghost_warlock
2006-08-19, 08:07 PM
^^ Yes! Now THAT I may actually go see! SLJ vs. the hordes of Xoriat!

Appolo
2006-08-20, 01:11 AM
oh god...snakes on the planes...

but serr'sly. this movie = amazing. i saw it the first time it was played in Roseville, MN, and since then have seen it twice more (first time = friends, second time = stepbrother, third time = more friends)

i even made a (very poorly done) t-shirt design!

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m148/tlabresh/SOAP.jpg

Nerd-o-rama
2006-08-23, 01:37 AM
TDO: You officially win the Snakes on a Plane meme.

happyjenn97
2006-08-24, 12:26 AM
What's next? "Hippos on a Plane?" "Locusts on a Plane?" "Balloon Animals on a Plane?" "Bats on a Plane?" "Batman on a Plane?" And then there's the inevitably worse sequals - "Snakes on a Bus" and "Snakes on a Yacht."

Actually, there was a Fark Photoshop contest today about that... http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=2236039

I saw it last night. If you're going to see it, go to a busy show time. It's worth it.

Ganon11
2006-08-24, 05:40 PM
Oh gawd, Snakes on a Plane was amazing. It wasn't made too seriously, so they did a lot of hilarious scenes. Like the man who goes to the bathroom...O.O won't ruin it for those of you who haven't seen it, but the veterans know what I'm talking about. Friggin' owned.

The producers intentionally made this movie to be over-the-top and overdramatic, and they succeeded.

The Demented One
2006-08-31, 07:50 PM
Gentlemen, today I heard one of the single most amazingly stupid things to have been said ever in my presence: "Snakes on a Plane? Isn't that a metaphor?"

Jackal
2006-09-02, 07:55 PM
I dont think people would be making fun of this movie so much if its name wern't "Snakes on a Plane". How creative is that? It's got to be in the top 10 of dumb movie names.

Don Beegles
2006-09-02, 08:05 PM
That may be the point. Thedumb movie name is the reason that the movie has been making such a buzz; it's such a goofy name that you eitehr love it as soon as you hear it, or you hate it just as soon. I doubt that the movie itself will do anything to change its own image in teh mind of the people that go to see it. The don't expect much beyond soe Snakes...on a plane.

Tptmanno1
2006-09-03, 01:45 AM
exactly, the people that don't like this movie, at least in my experince, seem to either to expect some artful masterpiece ro are pre-disposed to hate it, and don't wanna let themselves down.
Go wtih friends, and have a good time... Thats all I did...

storybookknight
2006-09-03, 03:15 AM
From today's Eberron game:

Holy S****! There's. M***.... Yuan-ti on our M***.... Airship!

Jackal
2006-09-03, 05:07 PM
Yep.

MasterofDisaster
2006-09-03, 08:07 PM
Snakes on a Plane is not supposed to be taken seriously. After all one of the reasons Samuel L. Jackson signed up was because of the name, Without seeing a script! I thought it was hilarious and it was good mainly because it was so farfetched ande unbelievable! I think the sequel should be "Pigs in a Blanket!"

Don Beegles
2006-09-03, 08:10 PM
Storybook, that sounds like a great adventure, adn an even better response to it. Did the DM think about the connection before he designed it?