PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Character

ondonaflash
2009-07-31, 10:13 PM
This is a place where you can post all of your favorite characters, the ones you've created. Its less focused on specific builds, and more on back stories and personalities. Rule of Cool rules the roost.

Mine is as follows

Tybert Demon-Eyes
Tiefling Rogue
Physical Notes: About 5'5", Tybert has black hair, roughly cut at around neck level, a pale complexion, and eyes that are eerily blue. He has white horns which protrude from his hair no matter how he tries to conceal them.

Story: Tybert was born, along with his twin sister, Rosemary to a wealthy, high-class merchant and his wife. His mother was the one bearing the demon-seed, and died in child-birth, as usually happens with fiend-spawn. He and his sister (who bore only slight fiendish traces in the eyes and hair) were kept secluded and sheltered from the world by their kind and loving father, until the day the wealthy man was murdered. Investors seized his property, holdings, and stock.
They were shocked and revolted by the tiefling children, and left them with nothing. For the two children this was their first exposure to the world, and it left deep scars on both. Tybert became embittered and rage filled, turning to thievery in order to care for his more delicate sister. He became cynical, feeling little sympathy or compassion for the rest of the world, or its people. At 9 years old he was recruited to the thieves guild, he managed enough thefts to support a cheap apartment in a rundown part of the city.

It was at this point he began investigating his father's murder, tracking his estate, and the investors and merchants who stood to gain from the man's death. During this time his keen intelligence began to make itself apparent, he was able to sift through the material with relative ease, and managed to isolate the murderer to a group of merchants. He began investigating their houses directly, but got derailed when he spotted his family's ancestral sword hanging in the house of one Master Garrix. His attempts to steal it resulted in the death of the influential merchant and he and his sister had to leave town. The murder still weighs heavily on Tybert.
As they were establishing themselves in a new town Rosemary got attacked by men in an alley, she was rescued by the Aasimir Paladin, Endinal Ilhune who introduced them to religion, Rosemary became a Priestess of the Goddess of the Earth, but Tybert found the whole concept of religion ludicrous, what good god would want a tiefling worshiper? He believed his damnation was preordained, however, as Endinal was the only person outside of his own family to show him any form of human kindness Tybert latched on to the paladin, identifying him as a father figure, and they began adventuring together. That is where I stopped.

So how about you?

SilverClawShift
2009-07-31, 11:25 PM
I know this will sound kinda shallow in light of what everyone else will likely be posting, but my favorite character is still as follows.

Anita Hellsing
Female Human Rogue/Fighter

The current "Last of her family" in a bloodline notorious for getting trimmed down to a single survivor (more than likely when you're fighting Big Daddy D himself every few generations), Anita Hellsing was the latest in an ancient and sprawling line of monster hunters.
She used a pair of flintlock pistols in a world where those twopistols were the only ones of their kind. She was good with reloading them, but the real power came from the bullets, which she would make out of silver and subject to various blessing rituals of varying power.

Pretty straight forward. But I loved that character.

AstralFire
2009-07-31, 11:35 PM
Eilonwy, Exalted CG Changeling Bard.

Started out as a PC, became an NPC upon my usual 'promotion' to DM.

Very pragmatic. Very efficient. Very Good. I wrote all of her bard songs, and she refused to ever disguise herself due to her strong sense of self, except upon becoming an NPC, where she used the ability to infiltrate a cult trying to kill the party. She'd come by and drop off hints and advice to the party occasionally, until she stopped appearing for an arc.

Party got worried. Party eventually found her; she'd been found out, and tortured to near-death by the cult, especially as they needed someone who knew the words of creation to power an artifact they found. They were out of healing spells when they found her, so she died before them, singing as she passed away, giving them a gift of temporary levels to fight her gaoler who was going to return shortly. The party got mad. In-character and out. They were merciless to that kobold.

Asexual; I refer to her as 'her' because it's how the party did, but Eilonwy was born male and forsook a gender identity upon learning that she was a changeling.

BobVosh
2009-08-01, 01:03 AM
I know this will sound kinda shallow in light of what everyone else will likely be posting, but my favorite character is still as follows.

Anita Hellsing
Female Human Rogue/Fighter

The current "Last of her family" in a bloodline notorious for getting trimmed down to a single survivor (more than likely when you're fighting Big Daddy D himself every few generations), Anita Hellsing was the latest in an ancient and sprawling line of monster hunters.
She used a pair of flintlock pistols in a world where those twopistols were the only ones of their kind. She was good with reloading them, but the real power came from the bullets, which she would make out of silver and subject to various blessing rituals of varying power.

Pretty straight forward. But I loved that character.

Nothing wrong for enjoying a trope.

Mine is a classic trope as well. 1ed character named Mongo. Half orc, double specced bastard sword, 19 str. I rolled basketweaving, and made basket shields. My love interest was a sewing dummy.

Mostly a hack-and-slash game, but so much fun with the random beer & peanuts parts.

TheOOB
2009-08-01, 02:01 AM
It's a hard choice, a near tie between three characters, but here is my pick.

Darius Harbinger
Male Human Fighter/Barbarian/Frenzied Beserker/Ghostwalker

Darius was a response to someone who claimed that all barbarians where stupid Conan characters. I made an intelligent swordsman who defeated a powerful demon who then bound themselves to Darius before they died, giving Darius great power at the cost of his sanity. At first he could tap into this power and still control himself, but later he started losing control(when he took frenzied beserker). Apart from being a progressivly more depressed swordsman who was almost more liability than asset (killed three party members over the course of the campaign, two of them deserved it), he outdamaged all his fellow adventurers and got into the negative triple digits of hp more than once(oh 3.0 heal spell how I love thee).

His crowning moment of awesome was when a monk we where fighting for ages slow falled down a giant tower to escape out party. My character simply jumped down, using his own(insane) fall damage to add to his attack.

Stabby
2009-08-01, 01:28 PM
This is rather easy for me.

My favorite was Errol Flynn. Yes, I made Errol Flynn.

Swashbuckler/Rogue with Daring Outlaw and Telling Blow who darted around and shouted out witty dialogue during combat. Oh and took Craft: Cunning Plan. Yes, it says Craft: Any, so I picked Cunning Plan. My DM gave us hints as to what would or wouldn't work well if we tried it as long as we made it suitably convoluted. He teamed well with my brothers kobold alchemist "sapper".

DeafnotDumb
2009-08-01, 01:49 PM
Ungar, version 2.5. It took a few tries before I got him as he is now, but he's become my favorite character.

A 3.5e Orcish paladin, he was extremely proud of his ancestry and had memorized many legends involving famous and noble orcs and would tell whole bars about them, but since heroes of one race generally tend to have become heroes by slaughtering other races, these did not go down well. He was always quick to point out that although he'd swore vows of loyalty, altruism or mercy, they hadn't included such things as sobriety, politeness and chastity. He liked drinking perhaps too much, and while he never started bar brawls he was sure to end them And despite being the most thoroughly cynical character I've ever played except one, he believed in giving people mercy and chances to prove themselves, and to do the right thing because that was the only way to make the world better. He also gave everyone nicknames (calling a dragon 'petite'), refused to admit his friendship with the human rouge, having only saved his life innumerable times so he could 'kill the bugger himself'.

He'd also had quite a varied past, having joined the army at a young age, deserted, and become in turn a mercenary, private guard to a mayor, drunk and guard before becoming a paladin almost by accident. He'd already fallen from grace once for several years after killing his best friend in a moment of stress, fear and anger, and although he hadn't wanted any kind of forgiveness his god had eventually decreed he'd earned it.

And he also had a pipe, which he'd light up as a victory celebration after difficult battles. He was a fun guy.

Jack_Banzai
2009-08-01, 01:57 PM
Black Rider, d20 Modern Urban Arcana. Smart Hero/Field Scientist/Techno Mage/Archmage/Artificer.

A technical consultant for the FBI, he was forced to leave the River City (fictional city) office for claiming that the racketeer upon whom he had been running surveillance was in fact an otherworldly creature. Forced into a psychiatric hospital for some time but stubbornly refused to change his statement. Became a private investigator for a little while before another fellow agent, Chambers (Dedicated Hero/Acolyte) began to see the same kind of phenomena.

Wore a black leather jacket and black plastic-framed glasses with a silver skull between the eyes (like Charlie Sheen in Major League). Refused to date or have sex (as he was "preserving his life energies" and slept upside down in his closet using a harness. Eventually became the most powerful mortal mage on Earth, defeating the campaign's overarching badguy, Zero (another mage) and his nuclear toxyderm pet through use of a Sphere of Annhilation. Unfortuantely, Black Rider died of radiation poisoning soon after, but was resurrected by his good friend Chambers.

And before you ask - predated Dresden Files by a good two years. Still one of my favorite characters ever. And Black Rider was his real, legal name - an orphan who picked his own name who just happened to be a huge Tolkien fan.

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-01, 03:00 PM
My favorite character originally comes from a novel I've been working on since... forever >< Her background is currently too convoluted though <x.x> Still, I like her despite that >.<

(Yes I am telling you right now that I know the writing on this is not great and that you should read on at your own risk <T_T> I'm just being lazy as frak about fixing it.)

The short version, such as it is >.>

Name: Yumii Northedge

Race: Catperson
Alignment: LG/NG (Depends on campaign; though NG is what I consider 'canon'... I do a lot of alternate universe stuff with this char though)
Height: 4'11"
Weight: 124 lbs
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Orange-Pink
Skin Tone: Medium-Tan (Think "Pacific Islander" kinda)
Ears/Tail color: Orange (White tips)
Class: Varies by campaign - Fighter, Warblade, Monk or OA Samurai have all been used; though OA Samurai and Warblade fit the best.

Default Background (Gets adjusted to each setting, but the themes tend to be similar - also it's kinda long, despite being the condensed version <x_X> this is basically several chapters of novel cut down to a couple pages):

At 5 years old Yumii was accompanying her mother to a new diplomatic post when a storm struck their vessel at sea. Her mother managed to keep Yumii alive during the ensuing chaos; and get both herself and Yumii into a lifeboat; and then to shore.

A pair of the locals (humans from the hardy and dangerous northern reaches of the continent of Aster*) found the pair, half drowned and freezing on the snowy beach north of their village. Unfortunately Yumii's mother was beyond saving at this point - in addition to exposure she'd suffered several injuries in the choppy sea and passed quickly.

The couple who'd found Yumii and her mother took Yumii in and cared for her for over a decade.

Unfortunately the village they lived in was... never quite tolerante of outsiders. They put up with Yumii (who often went by Claire during this time); but weren't particularly happy about having her around. Yumii didn't help perceptions by being sullen and withdrawn - even if the locals had been welcoming it's doubtful she'd have had many friends.

When a fire burned down her foster parent's bakery and crippled her adoptive mother, she was blamed; and though her adoptive father, Jeremiah tried to reason with the other villagers, she was chased out into the cold. (Jerimiah got a nasty knock on the head for his trouble with an axe handle.)

Being as young as she was, it wasn't hard for the villagers to catch Yumii in the high snows.

The wisewoman, who'd been stirring the pot for years, beat her senseless with a switch.

Luck is a strange thing however; and even one with so much ill fortune can at times find themselves blessed with uncanny luck.

A traveller came upon the scene and intervened. The man was Modi; a fearsome bearskin clad warrior standing a full seven foot tall and easily weighing several hundred pounds. The villagers frenzy initially drove them to attack even this imposing mountain of a man; but after the wisewoman's head had been punched through a tree, most took to their heels.

Modi rescued Yumii; and took her to the camp of an adventuring troop he sometimes worked. There her wounds were tended; and then she was to have been shipped off to one of the larger more stable southern cities where friends of Modi's could take her in.

Yumii however changed that plan when she asked to learn to fight. Most of the troops ranking members found this a strange request, all things considered; but Modi believed he understood the motivation.

Having been given virtually no security for much of her early life, he reasoned, it was only natural one would want to be able to make their own security. Though there were objections, eventually she was sent to train with the company's swordmaster, Kenmaru.

Like Yumii, Kenmaru had come to Aster less-than-willingly; though the reasons were far different. He too was a nekojin - a catperson - and though he was at first reluctant to train Yumii; he eventually relented due to their common heritage and her overwhelming eagerness.

Unfortunately she was a poor student at first. Too angry, too aggressive.

She showed some talent with a shortsword and buckler; and with the spear and bow; but she'd always lose patience.

Kenmaru nearly gave up, but hit upon one last thing to try before doing this.

He would teach her in the favorite weapon of their homeland; though it was clear by now that she didn't know much of anything about it beyond a few odd memories. He hoped; and was proved correct; that establishing a more personal bond with her would leave her more willing to accept instruction.

He was leery of teaching the katana though, for his earliest days as a trainer had seen him try this; and repeatedly had freshly trained soldiers killed by overconfidence in their weapon. A fine sword to be sure; but as with all weapons it had it's place and could not be relied on for every situation.

The plan worked however, and she became a competent swordswoman.

<insert campaign specific "This is how I got to X location so I can meet the group" blurb>

Like I said, it's kinda bad. I think conceptually there's some strong points; but I'm not happy with it yet >.< and it seems even worse when it's condensed down like this. <x_x>

Still; I love the core of the character <,< and eventually I'll get the story where I want it if I keep trying. So; not worried. >.>m

*edit*

Deafnotdumb -

Holy crap! Mind-Meld! <O.O>

That's a character who's been rolling around in my head for a couple years; I just haven't ever gotten around to playing him. I mean it's not *exact* - but its so damned close it's scary <o.@> I will say two things about this:

1) Very cool

2) Holy crap that creeps me right the hell out >.>

ondonaflash
2009-08-01, 03:31 PM
Unfortunately she was a poor student at first. Too angry, too aggressive.

Those are good traits to have when you're learning how to hurt somebody... :smallbiggrin::smallyuk:

MightyIgoo
2009-08-01, 05:45 PM
My favorite to play was Hit, a Warforged Monk/Drunken Master. He had two battlefists, with flame decals on each. Plus an artificer friend enchanted them so he could change them to flaming with a key word ("Flame on!"). So, giant tatted-up magical Popeye arms. Hit was a follower of the Laws of BASIC, which apparently was a lawful way of being an @** to the puny flesh-bags he was forced to work with. I think I really pushed the limit of "lawful neutral" with that character.

I guess his build and backstory aren't all that impressive, but it was really, really fun to play a giant metal jerk who punched people's spines out of their chests and used the party's NPC artificer as a talking med-kit. Hit once killed a wyvern with a broken bottle, and fought a calzolem (calzone golem) with his bare hands (not a good idea when the calzolem is still piping hot out of the oven, it turns out). Also, in a night of drunken revelry, he commissioned from the same NPC artificer a grappling gun. A crotch-mounted grappling gun. With reels of tensile cord appropriately placed. (Hit was all classy like that, you see.) After installing the ... well, I probably can't tell you what we called it, but after installing it the NPC asked Hit very nicely to never ask anything of him ever again. That grapple-cannon ended up netting the party cool secret loot by circumventing a wind-trap (but also nearly killed Hit in the process-- never critical miss when firing directly into gale-force winds, is all I'll say).

So yeah, Hit was a jerk. But a powerful jerk.

HamHam
2009-08-01, 06:12 PM
I'm gonna go with my character from a Lord of the Rings game.

He was a Noldor and a vassal of Fingolfin (I think). He swore an oath to not go back into the West until every dark servant of Morgoth and Sauron was dead. Which is why he was still wandering around Middle Earth after The Return of the King.

He also hated the sons of Feanor which made interaction with the other Noldor in the party (who I think was related to them somehow or other) interesting.

His elven blade had a name which I think translated to 'Kinslayer' or something like that and had a faint stain running down the length that wouldn't go away from when he had killed some Noldor defending Doriath during the Second Kinslaying.

He was an expert swordsman with some magical abilities.

The campaign got crazy real fast as not just Sauron but Morgoth himself came back from the dead/exile/whatever and there were orcs and trolls and giants all over the place and so we traveled to Bree to talk to Tom Bombadil and he told us to talk to the Valar so my character basically meditated under the river to contact Ulmo and get the Valar to help.

Ulmo shows up and tells him that they can't do anything yet because... something and they need him to rally the people's of Middle Earth. He told Ulmo to go to hell. :smallbiggrin:

The other elf in the party ended up having to play savior while my character went and did actual productive things. And then things got really crazy when he found the Mirari, made a deal with Yawgmoth, and killed Manwe. And built an Iron Man suit made of mithril powered by Silmarills.

And then we went to the Dark Tower.

DeafnotDumb
2009-08-01, 06:24 PM
1) Very cool

2) Holy crap that creeps me right the hell out >.>

You can't prove a thing.

P.S Wear tinfoil hats in the future.

Bosaxon
2009-08-01, 07:52 PM
I'd have to go with Lefty (real name Admiral Dread Kenesaw Landis), a Dread Necromancer 11//Fighter 9/Occult Slayer 2, with the Dungeoncrasher variant. The game, before it fell apart, was an evil game where the characters all worked from the thieves' guild, but only two where rogues. One was a lawful good/neutral dwarf, and then there was Lefty. It eventually became a quasi-war campaign, with the characters out for profiteering, love of battle, and love of chaos, respectively.

Lefty lacked all subtlety, was sadomasochistic, had a tomb tainted soul(if dread necromancer didn't give that away), and did things like behead paladins on the street, violate their skulls, and had his spectral hand deliver it to their home temples. He broke into guard outposts to steal back his armor and scythe, and tortured another prisoner with giant vermin cast on a spider in a jail cell. Lefty was on the outside of the cell. The other prisoner wasn't. He also flirted with our guild handler, whom despised Lefty.

He played up the embodiment of dead angle, complete with a skeletal horse mount, and other undead minions, and had two goals. One was to establish the starting city as his necropolis, and the second was to find a way to use his skeletal whale warship (how he gave himself the title admiral) as an orbital weapon. I could have done it too if we made it to level 20.

Given the circumstances, I played him a step beyond chaotic evil (tendencies toward stupid on both axises) and I called it psychotic evil. I made the character just do what seemed fun at the time. Needless to say, I won the most evil contest

Dienekes
2009-08-01, 08:28 PM
Nolan, human fighter

I'm essentially the eternal GM so he was never a player character. He was a guard the PCs happened to encounter when a city was under siege in an attempt to protect the ducal family. He was strictly loyal, and about as Lawful Good as they come, with a clear and consistent sense of duty.

While this sounds rather bland, I was playing a low level, low magic campaign where the players were supposed to make gritty decisions. The guard proved useful in that he seemed to always get good rolls, so useful that the other players thought of him as the other member of the party (which, I generally despise when GMs add themselves in to guide the players, and asked the group if they wished if he could be killed off. They surprised me by saying no). The interesting bits with him is that the gritty world I was going for had the party confront with terrible things as they tried to warn their country of the coming invasion. These situations ended up having the character rethink through his morals and try to see how far he could force himself to sink. And what he was willing to do for his duty to protect the (completely worthless) Duchess.

He did eventually leave the party, when they completed that plot point. But I enjoyed playing him as he changed that he undoubtedly gets the spot for my favorite character. Over any actual PC I've played.

Magicus
2009-08-01, 08:39 PM
Father Astroquine Arvinne, TN Cleric of Boccob. Wisdom 18, Int 10. Also known as Stumpy, for reasons which I will shortly explain.
His father was the High Priest of Boccob in one city, and his brother was a powerful Wizard... Astroquine didn't have the intelligence to become a mage, so he went down the road of Cleric instead. He had major daddy issues (his younger brother got all the praise), and he kind of projected those onto his god, whom he was convinced really loved everyone in the universe, especially him. And he set out to spread Boccob's love to as many people as would listen.
That's right, Father Astroquine Arvinne was the world's only evangelist of Boccob the Uncaring.
One member of the party was a very chaotic Warlock named Myra, and Astroquine was one of the few people she actually liked. She's the one who gave him the nickname Stumpy, due to his habit of climbing on top of tree stumps to preach the word of his god.
He was an amazing character to play, especially because his personality was so much at odds with Boccob's apathy. "Isn't your god called the Uncaring?" "Well, yeah... But he loves magic... And there's magic inside of us all!" "That doesn't make any sense." "But... But I can do miracles!"
Sadly, he died around level 7 to a Flind with a lucky crit. The party was forced to abandon his body in the dungeon, and he got turned into a wight by a vampire warlord. :smallfrown: Nonetheless, at the end of the campaign, every remaining member of the party got a wish, and Myra used hers to bring back her pal Stumpy. It was a great climax; I left happy.

Civil War Man
2009-08-01, 09:00 PM
I try to make it a point to play rather memorable characters. I can think of two who were memorable to the point of being nearly legendary.

The first is a character I had in a Mage: The Ascension game. He was a rabid gamer, a combination of various quirks and personality traits of everyone in my social circle, with the intensity turned up to 11. He was obsessed with gaming, paranoid to the point of having it as a merit (since everyone was out to get him, he was prepared for it), and had a near crippling addiction to caffeine. He had 3 dots of Arcane (a supernatural ability that is basically a permanent personal Someone Else's Problem field), causing him to frequently appear out of nowhere and disappear just as quickly.

He was extremely smart, knew a lot about science, and could effectively take apart any piece of technology and reassemble it better than its manufacturers could. He basically had no weirdness censor, so he was probably best equipped to mentally cope with what was going on than all of the various Tradition-trained Mages in the party.

He only ever knew three spheres of magic: Mind, Entropy, and Forces. All the magic he did was based off of science fiction or fantasy. He read thoughts through Vulcan mind melds. He manipulated odds with things like dice and cards. He flew by throwing himself at the ground and missing.

If he had an alignment, he would be Chaotic Evil, Chaotic Neutral at best. His awakening consisted of telling a couple bullies to go die in a fire. Turned out their apartment had faulty wiring. He constantly tormented his other companions, the gothy Euthanatos in particular, proving himself to be just useful enough that the Euthanatos couldn't justify killing him just yet. He was Genre Savvy enough to know what he should and shouldn't do, but Genre Blind enough to do it anyway. He was killed by Technocratic agents while attempting to rescue some werewolves, at which point he was made an honorary member of their pack. I believe that convinced the Euthanatos that if there was a higher power, it was not a benevolent one.

Brauron
2009-08-01, 09:18 PM
Khorsal Rho -- LE Human Fighter 5/Thayan Knight 3. I wish I could have used him beyond just that one-shot, but the opportunity never arose.

He had been a commander in the Thayan Army, reduced to bodyguard status for a Red Wizard (a friend's PC) after Thay switched tactics from military to economic domination, and he was very unhappy with that, though he would never betray the Red Wizards.

Much of his general beliefs were lifted from Robert A. Heinlein, particularly the novel Starship Troopers. He believed strongly in personal virtue, integrity, loyalty, patriotism (granted, to Thay) and in adaptability (kind of not in keeping with the Thayan Knight's prereq of Weapon Focus: Longsword, but c'est la vie). I even managed to squeeze in the Jack of All Trades feat since "specialization is for insects."

Fairly charismatic, while fighting two lower-level NPC Paladins at once he kept up a running monologue as to why there was no true difference between them and himself, and almost talked them into betraying their oaths. He later convinced a youngish Black Dragon to enlist in the Thayan Army (in hopes that in doing so he'd convince the Red Wizards that military domination of neighboring states was feasible)

ondonaflash
2009-08-01, 11:05 PM
Khorsal Rho -- LE Human Fighter 5/Thayan Knight 3. I wish I could have used him beyond just that one-shot, but the opportunity never arose.

He had been a commander in the Thayan Army, reduced to bodyguard status for a Red Wizard (a friend's PC) after Thay switched tactics from military to economic domination, and he was very unhappy with that, though he would never betray the Red Wizards.

Much of his general beliefs were lifted from Robert A. Heinlein, particularly the novel Starship Troopers. He believed strongly in personal virtue, integrity, loyalty, patriotism (granted, to Thay) and in adaptability (kind of not in keeping with the Thayan Knight's prereq of Weapon Focus: Longsword, but c'est la vie). I even managed to squeeze in the Jack of All Trades feat since "specialization is for insects."

Fairly charismatic, while fighting two lower-level NPC Paladins at once he kept up a running monologue as to why there was no true difference between them and himself, and almost talked them into betraying their oaths. He later convinced a youngish Black Dragon to enlist in the Thayan Army (in hopes that in doing so he'd convince the Red Wizards that military domination of neighboring states was feasible)

Why does this sound familiar? Have you posted this before?

golentan
2009-08-02, 02:54 AM
Definitely my current Saga Edition character, a droid by the moniker DA-9VT:

DA-9VT is an ancient droid, probably around 120 years or so. During that time, he has come to develop some peculiarities in his behavior, and has been described as "Cheerful, creepily so." Perhaps it's the way he always whistles happy songs if an amputation is required, or how he decided to remove the bracings from the inside of a hyperdrive mid flight to make a sculpture (He insisted they weren't structurally required). The only thing that has saved him from being used as spare parts is the parts he has are worthless (being very few of the originals, which would at least be collectors items due to their age), and he's managed to steer clear of anyone bright enough to suggest melting him down for the metal. He has an obsession with fixing all manner of systems, including the human body, and specializes in mechanics and medicine.

DA-9VT first started his career to... whatever he's become as a mechanic's assistant on a tramp freighter. Since that time, he has been sold to Jawas, used as an emergency mechanic for a mechanized infantry platoon, been emergency medic for the same platoon, disassembled, reassembled, survived a starship crash, and stolen at least 10,000 credits worth of supplies simply to keep his parts running. Needless to say, none of the work he has done is what you'd call high profile, but much of it was very exciting. So much so that rather than wait around to get sold off again, DA-9VT has gone off seeking it.

He travels primarily by stowing himself away in starships. During the clone wars, he staunchly avoided taking sides, on the grounds that the CIS would treat him as property and the Republic would probably do the same if he was lucky, or treat him as a spy otherwise. He spent the entirety of the war in a junkyard, trying to see if he could build a working starship using only the parts he found there (the answer was no, but only because he couldn't find working thermocouples). He will side with anyone who looks interesting, and once he develops a sense of loyalty for them will stick with them through thick and thin. He resents the imperial regime for a number of reasons: 1st, they are too by-the-book and orderly. 2nd, the empire is anti-droid following the clone wars. 3rd, they are organized enough that stealing things and stowing away on ships has gotten more difficult.

Yeah. So far IN game, he has tormented a shopkeeper, demanded a 50K upgrade to the engines of the ship, caused at least five of the other characters to begin using elaborate death scenes as calming meditation exercises, used a fire extinguisher to blind stormtroopers, hit on an astromech droid, begun referring to the noble as "Your Nobbiness," managed to make a compelling argument that the protagonist rebel agent he's working with is more evil than the emperor, insulted friendly gamorreans for the lulz, stolen everything of interest from a patient, incapacitated (however temporarily) 6 enemies using junk the DM said he could have free, and doused said prone foes with oil as part of an intimidation attempt with a can of spraypaint. That's just what I remember off the top of my head.

We're only on round 1 of the second encounter.

Brauron
2009-08-02, 08:04 AM
Ondonaflash -- I probably have. I was going through old character sheets and reminiscing yesterday.

thorgrim29
2009-08-02, 09:02 AM
My favorite character would have the be a dwarf with an incredibly clichéd name I'm playing in the boards right now. It's in a partially homebrewed fearun, where a clan of delzoun dwarves have formed an holy order called the patriarchate intent on discovering ancient magical secrets and generally ruining a lot of bad guys' days. My character was originally from Mirabar, and left during the events of "a thousand orcs", because he was bored with his life as a part-time guardsmen/scribe. He eventually joined the patriarchate, where he became a duskblade and one of their most promising historians. After going on a couple of combat missions, he's started realizing that a lot of the rulers of the patriarchate are borderline psychotic, and one in particular is completely insane. But at the same time they are doing a lot of good (currently at war with frost giants), and have the favor of their gods (he asked Dumathoin). So he's still there, trying to temper the bad side of his organization, and he's slowly moving up in ranks. His accomplishments include winning a duel with a high level half demon orc shaman by two handed power attacking+true strike half a dozen times while the shaman was beating him to almost to death with a crazy amount of magical quarterstaff hits each round. Did I mention he is level 7 now?

kladams707
2009-08-02, 09:20 AM
I'd have to say my cosmetic shape-changing, transcendant, clueless, paranoid super spy from gurps. That's right, a spy who could change his transcendant appearance and thought anyone that hit on him was trying to kill him.

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-02, 10:31 AM
Those are good traits to have when you're learning how to hurt somebody... :smallbiggrin::smallyuk:

<^.~> Within limits yes hehe <,< But from personal experience, too much aggro results in a bokken to the face in practice <'x'> and it's a lot worse if it's not practice.

>,>

Xallace
2009-08-02, 11:02 AM
Plenty of concepts I've like, but lesse... I can narrow it down to two.

Walter "Wally" "Bruce" Reed was an entirely randomly-generated character using the d20 Munckin rules. Human, 5'11", 150 lbs, scorching red hair and cobalt blue eyes. Would get really angry if anyone ever stereotyped him as a "short-tempered red head."

Wally came from a village of rowdy vikings, where he was the smallest and weakest (read: average height and 16s in Strength and Con) of the group. And furthering his disadvantages, Wally was mute. He tried to make up for it by learning Drow Sign Language, military hands signs, and outsmarting his opponents rather than beating them to death.

Wally was proficient with, and I quote, "anything that has, will, or could coneivable be used to cause harm to an individual." So for the most part his "outsmarting" of his opponents was beating them with whatever was at hand rather an axe.

Weirdly enough, he was the most sociable of the group and convinced several NPCs to join the group with his wit, charm, and kindness.

Other random facts about Wally: He had some minor sorcerous ability, able to cast prestidigitation, unseen servant, and message a few times per day. Walter was also on his way to becoming the next god of war, although that was far off. He had a good friend in a very goth githyanki, as he was, er, "the only one that ever cared" about her.
Wally was known to sleep with a bastard sword in his bedroll. It caused him no discomfort, and certainly did help once or twice when the party got attacked at night.

Mortimer Ezekiel Black was a young human necromancer, dour and mostly humorless, but with a great love of life and a need to protect innocent souls from untimely death. He could lie with a straight face, make you crap yourself with a glance, and summon the undead legions upon his foes without remorse. He would save a kitten from a tree without hesitation, protect people he'd never even met before, and cultivate flowers and fruits with a loving hand.

Ezekiel was 5'7", pale, kept his black hair in a ponytail, was skinny as a stick never wore black in pubic. He was asexual. He was scared of bees. Other necromancers made him uncomfortable. He loved limes. He would jam to great beats when he thought no-one was looking. He never stole or killed, but he wouldn't bow before authority either. I would love to play him again.

Ravens_cry
2009-08-02, 12:56 PM
Golta, Dragon Slayer, and Defender of Heim.

From the isolated glacier valley kingdom of Heim. A bastard-princess of the queen.Her father, one of the kings bodyguard, was killed by the king in jealousy after it became apparent the child wasn't his. Never beautiful by her nations standards, with unkempt greasy hair and a loutish look, she would have still been quickly married off, thanks to handsome enough dowry, if it hadn't been for a rare travelling merchant.
Intentionally or no, he left behind a plaque that almost decimated the kingdom, one in fifteen died of it. Golta caught it as well, and though she pulled through, it left her face covered in lesions and scars. Now no man dared marry her, though her mother doubled the dowry. Men of Heim are superstitious that way. Instead, she chose to become sword-maiden, patrolling the mountains that enclosed the small land, becoming a dame Knight-Defender for her efforts. She fought trolls and hill giants who tried to encroach on the small kingdom, and even dragons.
Dragons became her speciality, her focus. She doesn't hate them, but a single one can cause much devastation, and she loves the challenge. After 30 years of this life and having trained her successor,(the closest she had to a daughter) a girl named Eana with one side of her face paralysed, she asked for leave to see the world beyond the mountains. This was granted.
Going through the Hold of Belkzen she was attacked several times, but the orcs of that region quickly learned not to mess with 'Old-Hag-With-Big-Sword'. Joining a party of adventurers after being told they would be fighting dragons, she fought her best. Together they were able to slay the dragon champion of a dark diety, a dragon named Kazavon. Wary of the future threat her silver-dragon transformed comrade may place on the kingdom, she used what influence she had to found a small colony near Korvosa to keep a closer eye on the woman. Though her bones ache on the colder nights, she is still ready to champion her kingdom whenever it needs it.

Piedmon_Sama
2009-08-02, 01:26 PM
Finn Connors (or Fion Conchobar) - Human Rogue/Fighter/Assassin/Street-Fighter

Finn was born the son of a poor urban family in the decaying, neglected quarter of a major metropolis. His father was a simple laborer and his mother a lifelong maid, who's union produced only two sons. Finn's older brother Charles (or Karl) was a lout prone to vagrancy, more often getting in trouble with the law than supporting his family. Eventually, Charles' bad gambling habits caught up with him; he owed too much to exactly the wrong sort of people, the people who'd string you up on principle even if they never got their money.

One night they burst into the Connors home, and threatened to kill the whole family, since they couldn't let Charles' outrageous debts blacken the good name of their house of vice any further. Both parents and the older child pleaded on their knees to be spared. Suddenly, Charles toppled over as the younger brother, 10-year old Finn Connors, plunged a kitchen knife into his back. The youngest Connors settled the debt issue by repeatedly stabbing his brother until dead, asking the men if this could repay the loan (and spare his parents). It not only satisfied them, but they suggested a hard and willing killer like 10-year old Finn could find employment in their family.

Finn knew he couldn't bear to face his parents, although he'd acted to save their life. He left with the criminals and never saw them again, growing to manhood in the training hall of the Thieves' Guild. He became first a pickpocket, then an enforcer, and after his share of tough enforcements, graduated to the elite ranks of the Assassins. Although many entered the Thieves' Guild and the Assassins in circumstances similar to Finn, he was far from the ordinary killer for hire: he didn't care so much about the killing as the thrill of being in danger, of fighting for one's life and coming out on top, of proving yourself stronger and quicker just where it counted. Wielding a pair of spring-loaded dagger-gauntlets, Finn honed his martial arts skills rather than safer methods like stealth or poison, preferring to openly challenge his targets than simply kill them from the safety of shadows. His methods aroused the ire of his masters, but not long after being initiated into the Assassins, Finn cut out on his own, becoming a rogue killer with no loyalty to anyone.

Finn values his own freedom above anything, and would gladly die before submitting to anyone---landlord, constable or underboss. He would also rather die than kill someone in a cheap and easy way--he lives to test his skill against worthy opponents; killing the weak, even for money, does nothing for him and even leaves him feeling disgusted. Finn may owe none loyalty, but he always sticks to his word as a mark of pride; any vow he makes he'll fulfill, or die trying.

Micky Pain
2009-08-03, 09:34 PM
Mine is from a custom system some friends of mine created (fantasy world, lots of forgotten realms and rolemaster influences).
Skills are percentile based, with 100 being the worst you can roll (always critical fail) and the closer to 01 the better the roll.
As a note, the system is class and level free, so we are able to play whatever and however we wanted our characters to be.

Tharon
Dark Elf
Magically skilled nomad bard cook fighter rogue

Basically, the first adventure was somewhat like Drizzt's escape from the drow city. I had a few social skills like cooking and playing the lute as well as my magic and fighting skills.
Arriving on the surface, naturally, my character had no money whatsoever, and I was forced to earn some in the first tavern hI came across.
As my music roll failed miserably I attempted to cook in return for some coins. First roll 100, critical fail, but on the "how bad do I fail" roll, I roll 01, which is about as good as it gets - GM decided, I wanted to cook some nice savory but mild stew and ended up creating a super-fiery chili instead.
Long story short, my character invented the Chili in this world, which has since become a stable income for him by cooking it and selling the recipe.

Along the quests in his lifetime, Tharon teamed up with a mage that had a nifty spell handy that could basically suck every molecule of water out of a small area, and combined with my chili recipe, the instant meal was born.

My music skill improved also along my travels, and a few new tunes were born by quite awesome die rolls, leading to another good source of coins when traveling the world.

Before I retired him, my character hooked up with a white elf that was under the protection of a silver dragon, become the king of a small country he helped save and used this new land to legalize Opatus leaves (our fantasy world version of weed) - yet another quite substancial source of income.

I really like this character because despite his considerable combat and magic skills, the most fun I had playing him was with all the sub-talents I had, and how well I could play off the other players - and off course, the GM did his best to make the whole experience enjoyable for everyone.

Tharon, you will be missed....

(He's still alive, elf and all, but probably so baked he won't know what is going on....)

Alysar
2009-08-03, 10:37 PM
Cade Thorngage, Halfling Rogue/Swashbuckler/Shadowdancer.

Ok, so he's the first character I've played since I seriously got back into RPGs after a brief stint in the early 90s, but his story is still special to me.

Character sheet (http://itoh.acalltoduty.com/oracle/view.php?id=87)

Backstory (http://itoh.acalltoduty.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=432)

Journal (http://itoh.acalltoduty.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=376)

Jerthanis
2009-08-04, 02:45 AM
It used to be Matthew, a much-suffered townsguard member who was reluctant to rise to a call to action delivered by a halfling sorceress vagabond who wandered into town. At first, threats popped up within the town, and my character was the only guard who had class levels (and the only one with two braincells to rub together) to stop them. We were joined by a useless Gnome Thief and a human warlock when we left the city to stop a conspiracy to overthrow the kingdom and trigger an invasion by nearby goblin hordes.

At every turn, Matthew tried to relinquish command of the mission and return to his duty, but he slowly discovered that there was no one else (in the party, or out of it) besides him that could save the kingdom. The final battle consisted of the rest of the party getting bogged down or taken out by about 4 level 1 warriors while I went toe-to-toe with the +5 levels fighter BBEG who had a +3 Brilliant Energy weapon, and because of some potions I had been saving, actually pulled out a victory. Once it was over, Matthew realized he had come to like being depended on, so continued being a hero in other lands. It was an awesome character.

But I think now, my favorite character was an Eclipse Caste Solar named Journey. He owned a newspaper operating out of Nexus and searched the world for information and stories to print in his paper, keeping the unknowable secrets to himself. He had a fantastic, nonplussed attitude about everything. He'd discover the true origins of the Abyssal scourge and simply take a sip of tea and say, "Fascinating, tell me more."

He became extremely good friends with a Bronze Faction Sidereal assigned to the city to prevent some terrible destiny, and the Bronze Sidereal knew he needed powerful allies to do it. Knowing the Solar ability to detect duplicity, he was completely honest with Journey, that "I need your help to save the city, and you will need my help to survive the coming danger, but once it has passed, I will kill you mercilessly."... I had the image that one day the two would be peacefully enjoying tea together and in the middle of it, they'd just mutually half-bow and erupt in violence that would tear down the building if not the whole city block. He was also good friends with an Abyssal sworn to Princess Magnificent that he realized he would eventually have to kill. He was apparently really good at developing friendships despite that barrier. He also... well, his Lunar Mate was Chimerafied, and he was like, "Amazing! Tell me all about what it's like to be a Chimera?" and she'd blubber and spit. "Hmm... I'll need to figure out a Linguistics charm for this!"

Basically, he was crazy, and awesome.

sofawall
2009-08-04, 04:35 AM
Ashbound Druid. For a good 4 sessions (most characters had a life expectancy of 2 sessions :D) I was trying to find a way to kill the party arcanist. The party, naturally, wouldn't like this, so only myself and the DM knew I was Ashbound. I convinced the Arcanist to go into the bowels of a ship alone with me, where i proceeded to... get hit by a Baleful Polymorph. The Cleric made his Sense Motive and Knowledge (Religion) checks, and proceeded to tell the rest of the party about me, without me knowing. The party was passing a lot of notes to the DM :D.

Brauron
2009-08-05, 09:31 AM
Another favorite (though short-careered) character was Ottokar, a Human Fighter 4 who was spec'd around using a halberd to hit enemies with as many attacks of opportunity as possible, all while avoiding any chance of getting hit himself.

He was an adventurer because he wanted to provide the best possible life for his wife and daughter, and he didn't feel he could provide the best for them while working as a bodyguard.

After a particularly nasty fight as part of a coup d'etat, he decided that this wasn't the best choice of career -- because if he got killed fighting monsters and ninjas, who would care for his family? He then retired from adventuring, signing on as the new regent's bodyguard, allowing his wife and daughter to live in luxury in the palace.

I gotta say, it's tough picking a favorite character. Most of the characters I've played have things about them that continue to endear them to me.