PDA

View Full Version : MoMF as a Base Class

Babale
2009-08-01, 12:22 AM
So I got tired of having to choose between the sucky Shapeshift Druid variant, the straight druid, or the Druid/MoMF combo. I thought, "What if I took away spells and Animal Companions? Could I make a MoMF that wildshapes at level 1?" And so, I came up with this class. Critique please! I feel it's a bit underpowered, personally, but I want to see reviews.

Level 1: Wild Shape (Humanoid, Animal), Wild Empathy
Level 2: Wild Shape (Dire Animal)
Level 3: Improved Wild Shape (Giant, Large) Fast Wild Shape
Level 4: Shifter's Speech, Natural Powers 1/2, Wild Shape (Monstrous Humanoid)
Level 5: Improved Wild Shape (Fey), A Thousand Faces
Level 6: Improved Wild Shape (Tiny)
Level 7: Fast Wild Shape
Level 8: Venom Immunity, Natural Powers (3/4)
Level 9: Improved Wild Shape (Plants)
Level 10: Improved Wild Shape (Abberation, Huge), Evershifting Form
Level 11: Extraordinary Wild Shape
Level 12: Improved Wild Shape (Diminutive)
Level 13: Improved Wild Shape (Elemental)
Level 14: Improved Wild Shape (Ooze) Natural Powers (1/1)
Level 15: Improved Wild Shape (Dragon)
Level 16: Improved Wild Shape (Garangutan)
Level 17: Improved Wild Shape (Fine)
Level 18: Improved Wild Shape (Magical Beast)
Level 19: Improved Wild Shape (Colossal)
Level 20: Improved Wild Shape (Outsider)

# of Wildshapes per day=3/4level +Wis Modifier

Fast Wild Shape: Wild Shape is a Move action

Extraordinary Wildshape: Wild Shape grants Extraordinary abilities

Evershifting Form: Immune to aging and polymorph effects

A Thousand Faces: Can assume any form of the species currently in as a free action.

boomwolf
2009-08-01, 04:00 AM
The idea strikes me with fear. shapeshifting at level 1? risky at best.

At level 10 you got such huge verity in forms that you can never be caught off-guard, and the DM is likely to go nuts.

Shapeshifting is just too powerful to be allowed in such scale.

Draken
2009-08-01, 08:16 AM
I ill have to agree with boomwolf.

One option is a base class cetered around the shapeshift variant. Giving numerous different forms with specific benefits at various levels. Maybe a capstone that works like the ability to create imagnary forms from the Master Transmogrifist... Only better, because that one is rather lackluster.

Strawman
2009-08-01, 09:44 AM
Anyone playing this class is probably going to have five monster manuals open at all times. :smallbiggrin:

Babale
2009-08-01, 10:11 AM
How, may I ask, is Shapeshifting overpowered? At level 5, which you claim is already overpowered, a Wizard could 1 hit kill me with a Scorching Ray.

In adition, it's much LESS powerful then a Druid: Get better shapeshifting, but at what cost? No animal companion, no spells...

Renrik
2009-08-01, 11:53 AM
I'd play it, but as a DM I'm not sure I'd allow my players to.

Tackyhillbillu
2009-08-01, 11:55 AM
Beholder + Shapeshift = Doom!

boomwolf
2009-08-01, 12:24 PM
he won't kill you becasue you shapeshift into something more endurable (and I said level 10, another game entirely.)
Not to metion that morphing into various creatures gives you their abilities, meaning massive verity in attack methods and defense/escape methods.
And that you heal every time you shapeshift.

Also, if at level 5 a S ray kills you in 1 hit, you are doing something wrong.

The point is, every broken druid build is based around abusing shapeshifting, and here you give them 4 levels head-start with it. shapeshifting is simply too abusable. not to mention you add a whole new level of abusing once you add collosal and outsiders and other types and sizes.

I am no munchkin, and no exploit master, but give one this class and you will see a level 12 or so that kicks ass of a level 20 batman wizard.

Its not that the idea is bad, its just that shapeshifting was proven time after time as too powerful for it's own good.

AstralFire
2009-08-01, 01:12 PM
That's not going to happen. This class is too powerful as written for the low to mid levels, but Natural Spell and Spellcasting are what bring the Druid over the top and up to Tier 1. Upon reaching level 5, a druid will overtake this in usefulness and this is going to be a Tier 2 or 3 class at best just from a cursory look.

Babale
2009-08-01, 03:00 PM
Thankyou! I agree!

It's like I always said (since I saw someone else say it): A Dire Bear isn't overpowered. An airwalking Dire Bear with a Rhino Companion is.

AstralFire
2009-08-01, 03:06 PM
I do seriously suggest making the initial forms more like the PHB 2 variant and granting full stat replacement later.

My biggest issue with a class like this is that your base stats are almost completely irrelevant - you'll get similar performance in a Straight 8 game and a 42 PB game.

Babale
2009-08-01, 03:14 PM
That's what Natural Powers does: It grants you a percentage of your stats over 10.

So at NP1/2 and 14 str, you add 2 str to your form.

AstralFire
2009-08-01, 03:22 PM
I'd just give Natural Powers 1/1 at level 1, otherwise, it's just too small of an impact. Honestly still is. Though that beefs up the forms overall... :smallsigh: