PDA

View Full Version : Screen resolution/size thing??

Exeson
2009-08-01, 04:22 AM
Right, I just installed a driver update/fixy thing for my graphics card and now everything is very very small. I mean I have a fairly large monitor so I'm guessing that is the default setting. Is there any way I can change that?

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-01, 04:27 AM
Depends on what kind of computer thingy you use.

For windows, usually if you right click on the background, a option screen will pop up, click on properties, then click on the tab all the way to the right, callibrations or something, there you will see in the left bottom corner of the window a (insert number) - (insert number), then just diddle with that till you find one you like.

V'icternus
2009-08-01, 06:16 AM
I personally like either 1024 x 768 or 800 x 600, so maybe try those. (1024 x 768 is good for when you want to see more of a web page, while 800 x 600 is better to see things easier).

Lupy
2009-08-01, 09:14 AM
^ It varies based on your monitor's default resolution.

For a large (how big? 22 inch?) try 1680 x 1050 for starters.

Mando Knight
2009-08-01, 10:27 AM
I personally like either 1024 x 768 or 800 x 600, so maybe try those. (1024 x 768 is good for when you want to see more of a web page, while 800 x 600 is better to see things easier).

...I haven't used that small of a resolution on a computer outside of a game in so long, I don't think I could stand using them at all.

V'icternus
2009-08-01, 12:07 PM
My laptop's default was 800 x 600, so I got used to it. I only change it for certain websites that benefit from other resolutions. The OP also said that everything was too small, so I gave some suggestions for a small resolution which will make things on your screen bigger.

Fiddling really is the best option for finding the resolution that's right for you, of course.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-01, 12:15 PM
See, you agree with me.:smallamused:

V'icternus
2009-08-01, 12:18 PM
I agree with lots of people.

Well, alright, not really, I argue needlessly, so what, wanna fight about it?

Exeson
2009-08-02, 08:46 AM
All sorted, my computer decided to just change the resolution without my permission, which is strange seeing as I'm using vista meaning I need to give it permission to sneeze.

'You are attempting to point out Vista's security faults: Allow or Decline?' :smalltongue:

MethosH
2009-08-02, 03:20 PM
'You are attempting to point out Vista's security faults: Allow or Decline?' :smalltongue:

I find really funny how vista security messages are actually designed to annoy you :smalltongue:
What? No! I'm not joking! I'm serious! They really made it this way just to annoy you! :smallbiggrin:

Trixie
2009-08-07, 11:22 AM
My laptop's default was 800 x 600, so I got used to it. I only change it for certain websites that benefit from other resolutions. The OP also said that everything was too small, so I gave some suggestions for a small resolution which will make things on your screen bigger.

What. :smallsigh:

Are you sure it's default resolution, not a minimal one? Cuz' if it is (ditto for the guy with 1024x768), then this thing has (probably) over 10-15 years and needs to be put down. Now.

Seriously, such old laptops are walking health hazards.

And I'm not joking, laptops with 16:12 screens were out of production for 5+ years, save for a few select models. Nowadays, it's all 16:10, or that new, crappy 16:9 formats.

By the way - you're doing it wrong. With LCD's, the only proper way of operating them is to boost resolution to the max (that is, native resolution), usually something like 1280x800, 1440x900 or 1920x1080, and fiddle with DPI/Size instead - the quality of picture will be much better and screen much sharper, with almost the same size on screen.

I find really funny how vista security messages are actually designed to annoy you :smalltongue:
What? No! I'm not joking! I'm serious! They really made it this way just to annoy you! :smallbiggrin:

And they actually had a very good reason to, which is why disabling security messages or write protections is a Very Bad Idea (tm) :smallsigh:

V'icternus
2009-08-07, 01:59 PM
Yes, this laptop is likely older than I am... I've had it for over six years, and my dad had it before me.

But no, it's no health risk. Well, not enough of one to be worried about. trust me, if the diseases that my immune system isn't immune to don't get me, I'm sure I'll get trademark Aussie Skin cancer, get hit by a vehicle, or (my hopes are for this one) sucked into a jet turbine. I have no delusions about living a long life. Not enough to pay for a new laptop, anyway. Besides, this one's served me well (enough), and is set up the way I like it. New computers are so annoying to get to a useable state... (heck, even downloading IE8 was a big step for me, and I'm still getting used to it's many flaws over it's predesessor {I just know I've spelt that wrong...})

Also, the OP wasn't looking for picture quality, he said things were too small.

Anyway, I'm going back to the Bat-cave now... by which I mean my lurking around the forums.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-07, 02:03 PM
All sorted, my computer decided to just change the resolution without my permission, which is strange seeing as I'm using vista meaning I need to give it permission to sneeze.

The same thing happened to me.

Several times.

Trixie
2009-08-07, 03:36 PM
Yes, this laptop is likely older than I am... I've had it for over six years, and my dad had it before me.

But no, it's no health risk. Well, not enough of one to be worried about. trust me, if the diseases that my immune system isn't immune to don't get me, I'm sure I'll get trademark Aussie Skin cancer, get hit by a vehicle, or (my hopes are for this one) sucked into a jet turbine. I have no delusions about living a long life. Not enough to pay for a new laptop, anyway. Besides, this one's served me well (enough), and is set up the way I like it. New computers are so annoying to get to a useable state... (heck, even downloading IE8 was a big step for me, and I'm still getting used to it's many flaws over it's predesessor {I just know I've spelt that wrong...})

Yes it is. Putting aside the unsafe materials they were using back then, such a small screen is not going to meet any of the modern radiation norms, and even if it were to (somehow), such a small, blurry screen is going to make your eyes tired much faster.

Trust me on this - monitor of your computer is a part that should receive most consideration of them all. You can buy a new laptop; you can't buy new eyes. I'd suggest getting a new one, since a new, much superior laptop can be had for as little as equivalent of 300-500$ (which will be beneficial for other reasons, too) - but you'll have to decide if that is really important for yourself.

Also, the OP wasn't looking for picture quality, he said things were too small.

Um, that was covered by the DPI/ExtraSize part. The crisper the picture, the better off you are and the sooner you can notice potential problems. Nowadays you don't need to trade sharpness for size, as was the norm with antiquated screens back then.

V'icternus
2009-08-07, 04:17 PM
Alrighty then. No arguments here.

I'm sure I'll get a job soon, then I'll see if I can upgrade... (In the loosest sense of the term. I've never had an upgrade that hasn't ticked me off, at least a little.)

Zeful
2009-08-07, 04:39 PM
What. :smallsigh:

Are you sure it's default resolution, not a minimal one? Cuz' if it is (ditto for the guy with 1024x768), then this thing has (probably) over 10-15 years and needs to be put down. Now.My two-five-year-old laptop has 800x600 and 1024x768 (or something) as the only two settings for the monitor.

[...A]nd fiddle with DPI/Size instead - the quality of picture will be much better and screen much sharper, with almost the same size on screen.How would you do this? As I might one day get a more state-of-the-art system.