PDA

View Full Version : OTHER campaign log! Pokémon Misadventures!

Kuprin
2009-08-01, 12:01 PM
Yup...this one's my infamous Pokémon game that I've mentioned a few times. Car chases, explosions, dead police officers...well, most of THAT part has actually ended now that the character responsible has been kidnapped and inducted into Team Rocket (I'm starting a Team Rocket campaign around this if anyone's interested) but that's another story. The story begins in Coal Town, a small town of a few thousand east of Cerulean City, in the mountains not far from the infamous Rock Tunnel, a hellhole that makes Victory Road cry.

The system: Emlia RPG, very early alpha. The core rules for the wargame can be found at http://www.spirit-plumber.com/emlia/ and the RPG stuff might be lurking on the forum somewhere. I'm not in charge of development on it anymore, I just help out here and there, and since it's still my favourite system, I'll run Pokemon with it.

The characters:
Lena (played by my crazy girlfriend and DM of Uncertainty Lich): a crazy mad-bomber type of terrorist who carries around exploding pokemon (voltorb and koffing) and a portable mortar with all kinds of nasty explosives.

Nero (played by Near's player): Not suitable for children. A rather strange, backstabby, occasionally perverted former Ranger cadet who's just out for adventure, trouble, and riches. Has an Aron and a Paras.

Graff (played by Hextor's player): Gunslinger-for-hire. Not much character development, you'll see why. Has a Cubone and Ponyta.

GIANT ROBOT ATTACK!

The game opens in a hectic, destructive way as the group's van is being chased hardcore down a mountain road by a giant robot pikachu the group was going to hijack and arm, and use to hold the city hostage. Problem is, it went nuts. Note that the above was just backstory, RP starts in the escaping van. Lena's driving, Graff is trying to shoot it, Nero doesn't have a gun so she's just hunkering down trying not to die.

Nero decides she's going to use the golf equipment she found in the van to jump on top of the speeding van and shoot at the robot with golf balls. Ooookay. She blows her acrobatics roll but at least jumps out on the side with the cliff face and only manages to injure herself somewhat. She's pretty much out though.

A loud metallic cry of "PIKA PIKA" echoes through the mountains as Lena whips the van around to go back for Nero and plans to ram the pikachu while Graff jumps out and shoots it. Graff rolls a 1 for Acrobatics as he attempts it UNTRAINED - this sends him screaming over the mountainside and down a sheer cliff! Graff manages to slow down his fall by grabbing some rocks, at this point he won't die on impact. He decides to release his Ponyta at the bottom of the cliff to try to catch him, given how fast he's moving this is a rather stupid thing to do. He misses the throw, then rolls another fumble to land HORRIBLY on top of the Ponyta, causing the poor creature to panic...and flare up. This causes Graff's ammo to cook off, and the first casualty of the campaign.

The lesson? Don't jump out of speeding vans as they go around corners, near cliffs, and don't rely on horses to catch you. Then again if he made the same roll to roll with the impact he would've died anyway, or at least bled out on the bottom.

Back to the ramming attempt...it fails miserably, the van wrecks into the rocks beside the robot, then gets kicked over. Lena gets out with some bruises and cuts, picks up Nero, and they go loot Graff's body - they don't get much, but his Cubone's pokeball is intact, so they rescue the poor critter. Nero then gets her Aron up above the robot, and starts trying to cause a rock slide. A VERY good roll defaulting geology to survival bowls the marauding pikachu over the side of the mountain. She huffs that she didn't manage to also kill Lena (she wants to kill the other players).

They retreat back to the pokemon centre in Coal Town, where they send a coded message to Nero's mysterious patron, and meet Graff's player's new character, a computer tech boy named Len. His pokemon are Magnemite and Porgyon. They eat, sleep, talk to Len and convince him they're pokemon hunters. Fun. :D

That's session one...more coming later, this campaign's been running a little while and I'll have to play catchup here too.

KillianHawkeye
2009-08-01, 12:42 PM
The lesson? Don't jump out of speeding vans as they go around corners, near cliffs, and don't rely on horses to catch you. Then again if he made the same roll to roll with the impact he would've died anyway, or at least bled out on the bottom.

This is why you ALWAYS have at least one Pokemon that can FLY!!

Although, if it happened in the Pokemon cartoon, he would've been okay. It happens to Team Rocket all the time.... :smallamused: