PDA

View Full Version : White Plume Mountain

AKA_Bait
2009-08-01, 07:42 PM
Hey folks,

I'm working on an update of the old classic adventure White Plume Mountain to 4e. The only version of the adventure I can find online is the 3.5 one that wizards released on their website a while back. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20051207a) However, I can see from the comments that they recast a number of the encounters and changed a few of the challenges. I'd like to know what the original ones were, so that I can decide for myself which way to go (original, 3.5, or my own).

For the record, I'm not just being cheap here. I've ordered a copy of the original adventure on ebay but it will not arrive for a while and I'm planning to run this with my group on Wednesday. It's also just easier for me to use an electronic version rather than the original.

So, does anyone know where I could find an electronic copy of the original adventure?

AstralFire
2009-08-01, 08:04 PM
Zuki's all about these kerazy adventures for old people. Let me see what I can do to help you out.

Matthew
2009-08-01, 08:08 PM
Since Wizards of the Coast withdrew their pdf collection it has become difficult (maybe impossible) to find electronic copies of these adventures legally. I have a copy, so I can answer any specific questions you might have if one does not otherwise turn up.

AKA_Bait
2009-08-01, 09:23 PM
Since Wizards of the Coast withdrew their pdf collection it has become difficult (maybe impossible) to find electronic copies of these adventures legally. I have a copy, so I can answer any specific questions you might have if one does not otherwise turn up.

Nuts. I'm mainly curious what the original description and effect of Blackrazor was, what the 'anachronistic turnstile' that Kestrel removed was, what the 'sexy kelpie' encounter was originally supposed to be like and if it was originally an enormous crab at the end of the Wave section.

You don't need to answer those though. I'll keep looking around for a bit before I put you to the trouble. I'll PM you if I need it. Thanks for the offer Matthew.

AstralFire
2009-08-01, 09:24 PM
Speaking of PMs, bait, your inbox is stuffed. Where have you been lately, anyway?

AKA_Bait
2009-08-01, 09:31 PM
Speaking of PMs, bait, your inbox is stuffed. Where have you been lately, anyway?

Well I moved, got married and am starting law school so I've been a bit busy. I'm going to be back a bit more for a little while. I'll need something to do during contracts class after all...

AstralFire
2009-08-01, 09:34 PM
Ah, congratulations on tying the knot! It's good to see you again.

How long have you been in law school? I've seen three family members go through that hell now. :smallsmile:

AKA_Bait
2009-08-01, 09:40 PM
Well I haven't started classes yet actually. My first class is actually on my birthday, Monday the 17th. My wife recently graduated and my whole family is chock full of lawyers (both parents, uncle, father in law) and I worked at a law firm for 3 and a half years as a paralegal before this spring so I think I'll be ok.

AstralFire
2009-08-01, 09:42 PM
I thought I'd seen you associated with legal stuff before now. Yeah, you sound pretty prepared. As a parody I once consumed said,

"Kick ass, my X-men!"

jmbrown
2009-08-01, 10:00 PM
Nuts. I'm mainly curious what the original description and effect of Blackrazor was, what the 'anachronistic turnstile' that Kestrel removed was, what the 'sexy kelpie' encounter was originally supposed to be like and if it was originally an enormous crab at the end of the Wave section.

You don't need to answer those though. I'll keep looking around for a bit before I put you to the trouble. I'll PM you if I need it. Thanks for the offer Matthew.

Blackrazor: chaotic neutral sword +3, intelligence 17, ego 16. Purpose: to suck souls. It is a black sword that shines like a piece of night sky filled with stars, and it is sheathed in a black scabbard decorated with pieces of cut obsidian. On a killing stroke, Blackrazor temporarily adds the number of levels of the dead foe to its bearer's levels (in terms of fighting ability). The bearer also temporarily gains the full hit points of the victim. All subsequent damage to the sword's wielder is removed from the added hit points first. The extra levels and hit points last a number of turns equal to the number of levels received. The souls of all entities killed by Blackrazor are sucked out and devoured; those killed by the black sword cannot be raised.

For every three days the sword remains "unfed", it's ego increases by one point, until it can compel its bearer to kill a human or humanoid being. Upon feeding, its ego returns to 16.

The DM will note that Blackrazor is a negative-energy entity that exists by absorbing positive life energy levels from those it kills. However, if it even strikes a negative-energy being like an undead (except for ghouls and ghasts), it will work in reverse, transferring one level and corresponding hit points from the wielder to the creature attacked. It will do this each time that it strikes. Under these conditions, the wielder can actually die and have his soul sucked out by his own sword. If the wielder survives, he will need a restoration spell or twice the usual number of levels received from positive "kills" to replace the lost levels. Those killed for replacement must be of the the same race as the sword-wielder. Blackrazor (and you, the DM) may very well keep this little drawback a secret until the first time the sword bites into a wight or a vampire. The DM must remember that Blackrazor exists solely to feel power and souls coursing through itself, and sometimes it may not be too picky about where the energy is coming from.

In addition to the above, the sword has the following powers:

Speech and telepathy (common and whatever tongues its wielder knows, which it learns telepathically). Detects living creatures (souls), 60' r. Haste spell (bearer only, 10 rounds) once per day. 100% magic resistance to charm and fear (exact percentage chance of resistance will depend on the level of the opponent casting such a spell).

Description for the boss at the end of Wave

After thirty feet the corridor widens out into a low, dome-shaped area. Here lives the guardian of the treasure, just about the biggest crab (AC: 0, HD: 15, HP: 60; #AT: 2; D:3-18) anyone's ever seen. On one of its "forearms" it wears a rune-covered copper band that protects it from all psionic-related spells (such as charm, fear, confusion, paralysis, magic jar, etc.). It also protects against all psionics. Unfortunately, it is worthless as a treasure, as the magic is keyed specifically to this particular monster.

The crab will intelligently attack any and all intruders, being careful not to bump the waterskin walls. The crab is experienced in fighting in this manner, as is evidenced by the bones scattered about, but your players' characters are not. The DM will have to watch for characters whose actions may rip the waterskin, especially any foolish enough to use two-handed weapons or violent spells like fireball or lightning bolt. Such people are likely to get the whole party boiled.

AKA_Bait
2009-08-01, 10:09 PM
Blackrazor stuff

Thanks! That has a bit of a different feel of it than the legacy weapon version presented in the 3.5 update.

jmbrown
2009-08-01, 10:20 PM
There's only one kelpie encounter in the original book but their description might be what you're looking for.

Kelpie description

Kelpies are a form of intelligent aquatic plant life that, in their own shape, rather resemble a pile of wet seaweed. They are able to shape their bodies into any form they choose, and they will often assume the aspect of a beautiful human woman in order to lure men into deep water. However, though the form may be changed, the substance still resembles green seaweed, and the effect is somewhat grotesque. To counter this, the kelpie can throw one powerful charm spell per day. If the target does not save vs. spells (at -2), he will perceive the kelpie as the most wonderful, perfect and desirable woman, and will willingly leap into the water to join her. The kelpie will wrap itself around the charmed man, and he will attempt to inhale water and sink with the kelpie in an ecstasy of drowning. If left alone, he will happily drown and be dragged off to the kelpie's lair to be consumed. Even if the kelpie cannot physically reach the charmed man, he will still try to swim downward and breathe water. If the charming kelpie is killed, the spell will be immediately broken. Charmed persons attempting to drown themselves will suffer 2-20 hit points of damage per round until they either surface for air or perish.

For some reason, females are immune to the spell of the kelpie. Legend has it that this is so because kelpies were created by the sea-god as punishment for those men rash enough to sail the oceans without paying their lord his proper respect. Women were not involved in these transgressions, and thus did not incur the sea-lord's ill will.

I don't know what this anachronistic turnstile is and I haven't found mention of a kestral in the book (I have a copy sitting right next to me and I'm thumbing through furiously). What part of the adventure is it in? There's a lot of weird stuff in this adventure like a gyrosphinx, a ring with like 30 permenant abilities including wish that loses its powers once removed thus hoping the PCs fight over who gets to wear it permanently. Once you get 2 out of 3 magic items the keeper of the dungeon or whatever asks if you wish to join him and if you do the PCs become the new guardians (of course, two-four djinn appear to "coerce" the players into becoming guardians).

So yeah, some more info on this turnstile would be nice.

Edit: I think you mean Keraptis, not Kestral.

Kaun
2009-08-02, 05:38 AM
there is an oldish DnD novel based on this dungeon floating around. That probably doesn't help you at all but figured i would mention it.

AKA_Bait
2009-08-02, 09:23 AM
There's only one kelpie encounter in the original book but their description might be what you're looking for.

Kelpie description

Wow. Thanks. Those beat the heck out of a hag and a chull. Totally going with that.

I don't know what this anachronistic turnstile is and I haven't found mention of a kestral in the book (I have a copy sitting right next to me and I'm thumbing through furiously). What part of the adventure is it in?

The turnstile is supposedly in the Whelm section of the dungeon right before the pit of boiling mud.

Oh, and I wasn't referring to a character with Kestrel. I was referring to Gwendolyn F.M. Kestrel (http://www.gwendolynkestrel.com/Publications/publications.htm), one of the three game designers who did the 3.5 revamp and according to the website removed the turnstile and replaced it with a mimic.

jmbrown
2009-08-02, 11:40 AM
Ah, I found it. Don't know how I glossed over it because there's a giant picture next to it.

"Here, a flight of stairs leads up to a dry corridor. Just around the corner is a turnstile that allows passage only one way: forward (turns counter-clock wise only see sketch). It will probably have to be destroyed on the way back. A golem could rip it out, or strong characters could try with a chance equal to their percentage for bending bars and lifting gates."

I can understand why they removed that as it's a pretty stupid addition although very "Gygaxian" in design (sprinkling humor and ridiculous traps about). Personally I'd change it to a revolving door that locks on one side when you pass through.

AKA_Bait
2009-08-02, 05:46 PM
Yeah that's kinda... pointless. I think I'll keep the Mimic actually. The crunch shouldn't be that hard to homebrew anyway.