PDA

View Full Version : XMenIII: The Last Stand [Spoiler discussion]

LordOfNarf
2006-05-27, 12:39 AM
I know there is a thread on the movie, but this thread is for all of us who have seen it to discuss the plotline, the charachters, and the movie in general.

Am I the only one who cringed at the senseless loss of life every time someone died?

And no Gambit, I am sad :'(

The Prince of Cats
2006-05-27, 04:19 AM
I was disappointed by the finality of it. Too many stupid deaths but I suppose it was just trying to hammer home the 'no more after this' point.

I wish someone had said to wait after the credits, since my friend waited in there while I went off to pee and never even told me there was something at the end. Damn him... (I might go again, just to see it; I have an unlimited pass, so I don't pay to go in...)

Magneto's little moment at the end gave me a little hope but I am no sure whether a sequel is even possible.

LordOfNarf
2006-05-27, 09:53 AM
If you had seen the bit after the crredits, yo would realize that a sequel is not only possible, but pretty much inevitable.
Highlight for Spoilers: The bit after the credits
The man that Prof X was giving the lectures about, the brain dead one, awakes, and the nurese says "Hello Charles"

Beleriphon
2006-05-27, 10:02 AM
So what happens at the end of the credits?

As for the deaths, I understand why, but they still made no sense. I really want to like the movie, but the characterizaton of Xavier and blaming Logan for Jean freaking out and leaving the mansion, that certainly wasn't what I expected from Xavier. For a good portion of the movie, until he dies, I was thinking it was some kind of wonky mind control from Jean.

The Prince of Cats
2006-05-27, 11:41 AM
And no Gambit, I am sad :'(
A rumour said that they approached the actor who plays Sawyer in Lost but he turned down the role, so they cut it. It was only meant to be small cameo but I think Gambit has always been my favourite...

(and while I know about Ian McKellen, did anyone else think the '20 years previously' Magneto was a bit... well... obviously gay?)

The_Werebear
2006-05-27, 11:58 AM
I didn't think so. Twenty years before puts them in the 80's, so that gives them some slack. Anyway, I definately don't think that this is going to be the end for several reasons.

One: There are only three X-Men deaths. Jean, Scott, and Xavier, and Xavier doesn't look like he is staying down based on the extra in the end.

Two: The cure doesn't look as permanent as it was shown to be, based on Magneto begining to be able to work it again. My guess is that Rogue and Iceman will be making out at the begining of the fourth when it kicks back in for her. Also, that leaves a lot of mutants who got shot with cure weapons who will suddenly get better. Or worse. Whatever.

Three: No one said anything about it stopping at a trilogy.

Casualgamer
2006-05-27, 02:16 PM
I can't believe they killed Scott like that. That was ridiculous. I would have expected him to go down fighting or something.

Although, they put in THIS line: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3934651591022114445&q=juggernaut+bitch

"Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, B*TCH!"

That line made the movie. My friends and I stood up and cheered.

LordOfNarf
2006-05-27, 02:45 PM
In response to Wearbear, I agree.

The Mutants aren't diseaased, and their cells are working fine, therfore, the cure would suppress it, but their immune system would fix them back up, and in all probability their power would be strengthened.

Leyonius
2006-05-27, 06:58 PM

Can't say I agree. I like what Shadowcat said in response muuch more.

And then of course is the Line that made the movie for me ,which will join "But why is the rum gone" in my list of favorite movie quote's.

"And that my friend, is why the pawns go first"

I'm wondering a lot why Angel wasn't a bigger part of the movie when they took the timeto do an intro in the beggining and everything.
And I'm personally sad that there isn't a showing of Vulcan or The Living Monolith(Havok).*

And most people are ignoring the fact that Jean can't be dead,since
she is immortal and Pheonix will just be reincarnated later.

And as far as sequels go. I know their making a movie focusing on Wolverine(hopefullywith Wendigo or Sabertooth involved ,those were my two favortite fights with Wolverine in them**)

P.S. anyone else notice that the girl who played Rouge lost some weight since the last movie.

*Cyclops' brothers.

** well I liked the fight with Hulk too.(yes it's canon if you want me to find it in my closet and quote the issue number)

PolskaWaldhorn
2006-05-27, 07:57 PM
I saw the midnight showing too. Very exciting, my sister dressed up as one of the morlocks (and then her character dies).
Overall i really liked the movie, though i agree with many of the rest of you...Angel should have had a bigger part, especially after he showed up at the X Mansion i was really expecting him to have a larger role in the final fight. I didn't like how Professor Xavier got angry with Logan. And I didn't like how so many people just died. However, it's definitely worth the $8. The part with Juggernaut and Kitty was one of my favorites!
I was sad for Rogue and happy for her at the same time...I wish she was in the final fight (I kept thinking her powers were going to come in handy with the Phoenix, though idk how she would have even got close). I was happy when she could touch people again (at least for a short while).
I really liked the ending. It's not the sappy happy ending I was afraid of but it's not a downer either, which is really good. I liked how as the probably final movie, X3 ended with so much potential instead of just making a stop to the series. Like i said earlier, definitely worth the $8.

Baerdog7
2006-05-27, 08:03 PM
Both Juggernaut's and Kitty's lines will join "But why is the rum gone?" I think as well, at least in my gaming group.

I was rather suprised by how fast Cyclops and Professer X got killed off in the movie. Granted, I was kind of happy to see Cyclops die, I've disliked him throughout the entire series, but seeing Professor X die so easily kind of made me go "why?" I am looking forward to the fourth movie though, which looks inevitable, and the Wolverine movie. There was just too much happening at the end of X3 for it to end there, what with Magneto getting his powers back, Charles transferring his conciousness to Comatose Man(tm), and the probablity that the Phoenix Force will reincarnate. Doubtless they will find some way to bring back Cyclops as well, seeing as he's a pretty major character.

Anyway, that's just my 2cp.

-Baerdog7

Mr._Blinky
2006-05-27, 08:58 PM
I can't believe they killed Scott like that. That was ridiculous. I would have expected him to go down fighting or something.

Although, they put in THIS line: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3934651591022114445&q=juggernaut+bitch

I agree with everything in that post. While Scott is probably my least favorite character, it was stupid how they killed him off without him even getting to fight back or something. It's the kind of undignified death you give to a backround character, not major one. I'm one of those who believe that the huge amount deaths was stupidly gratuitous, and several of them didn't need to happen.

And while everyone in the theater laughed at the "I'm the JUGGERNAUT, B*TCH!!!" line, I think I might have been the only person in the theater to actually get the reference. That only made it better. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-05-27, 09:08 PM
The one thing I don't get, was instead of wasting the cure on Magneto, why didn't Logan just use it one Jean. So sad.

Jean: Save me, Logan!

Logan: I love you *stab*. :'(

I cried.

And while everyone in the theater laughed at the "I'm the JUGGERNAUT, B*TCH!!!" line, I think I might have been the only person in the theater to actually get the reference. That only made it better. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Me neither. What's the reference? ??? Plz explain.

Mr._Blinky
2006-05-27, 09:51 PM
The one thing I don't get, was instead of wasting the cure on Magneto, why didn't Logan just use it one Jean. So sad.

Jean: Save me, Logan!

Logan: I love you *stab*. :'(

I cried.

Me neither. What's the reference? ??? Plz explain.

Check the link to the video in the post I guoted.

TheElfLord
2006-05-28, 12:54 AM
I thought it was good action, but the plot suffered.
They tried to do too much in one movie. They should have done more with Angel and the mutants Magnito recroutied.
I loved "thats why the pawns go first"
But I thought they really destroyed Magnito's greatest quality, which was his moral complexity. Maybe that wasn't appealing to most people, but its why I loved the character. They turned him into just a terrorist in this movie. I hated when he left Mystic behind. Considering his views and his past one would think loyalty would be a strong characteristic in him, but the creaters of the movie took away his depth.

Also, all we have to go on for Scott's death is Jean's comment and his absence from the rest of the film. To me that sounds like they are leaving an opening for movie 4, where he was just unconsious in the woods or something.

Over all, good action, bad stratagy, and weak plot. This seem more of a comic book movie than the first 2

Ebonwoulfe
2006-05-28, 01:35 AM
Were there NO murlocks besides those who ran around with Magneto who had any powers to speak of? There were like 50 or 60 of them fighting the five or six X-men, and all they did well was die! Even the "pawns" had a few powers to speak of, but that second wave were the real chumps. I didn't see a single ray blast, explosion, or anything!

And why wasn't Colossus armored up almost all of the time? "Hey, there's bullets wizzing everywhere, but I'd like to forgo my ability to be nigh invincible"

And what was up with that "There are no category 3 mutants in the area, except for you two" or whatever bull****. I mean, if you said something like that in a DnD game, your DM would get on to you for breaking character.

How the hell can she KNOW how powerful someone is? I mean, how can you really tell if Cyclops is more or less powerful than Colossus? That was... well, just silly. Even if that sort of talk is in the comics, that was cheese. How do you compare Kitty Pryde to Iceman on this level?

And why the hell could Charles WALK? I thought he was immobile due to part of his mutation. You know, just like that other great mentalist from X2 was immobile.

I have a lot of steam to blow off about this movie...

Too many cheesy lines. Case in point: "We're a team" "The best offense is a good defense"- I think I threw up a little.

The sheer callousness of Magneto towards Charles and Mystique should have at least been offset by, oh I dunno, Iceman taking the time to save Pyro from the island. I mean, Magneto is a little bit of a soulless bastard, but let's see a good guy doing something good.

Oh and when Magneto dropped the bridge like 20' onto the island, the mutants on the bridge that don't fly were still standing up PERFECTLY WELL and completely unharmed. Magneto just DROPPED them 20 or more feet! "We're good!"

Not to mention the way that Beast can change direction in mid air. *Ring ring* "Hello?" This is a collect call from Physics, will you accept the charges? "No"

For the record, the tasty coma nurse from the video X was playing is in another scene later in the move, I think. Watch for it.

I'm getting sick of Wolvy stories simply because he's too freakin' invincible. I mean, if Phoenix can shut off Scott's powers, surely she could shut off Wolvy's long enough to vaporize him.

Why wasn't there more of a character struggle with Rogue? She's one of the most interesting characters (at least to me), but she had, what... 10 lines? MAX? And if she's danger-room material, how come nobody CARED when she just LEFT?! I mean, Wolveriene stopped her, but apparently he didn't bother to TELL anyone.

Oh and let's not forget "You should go back to school" "You should have stayed in school". That one sent me into dry heaves.

And Colossus gingerly carring a TV down the hall... that seemed out of place. It reminded me of looters in New Orleans. "Hey your professor just died, he's pretty much your team leader, doesn't that suck?" "Yeah... let's go check out my new big screen TV!"

Oh and the kiddo with the paper airplanes... uh, sorry, the Harry Potter movie was cast already, and you're not in it. Next.

LordOfNarf
2006-05-28, 02:01 AM
Collossus wasn't meatal all the time because if he was, the post production would have lasted until 2010.

Prof X cant walk because he got his legs crushed at one point or another, not his mutation, Striker was just plain broken.

Ebonwoulfe
2006-05-28, 02:08 AM
Ah, I didn't realize Charles got his legs crushed. All I knew is that in the cartoon adaptation of the comic, that they go to Muir Island (Uhhh... this can't be the right name) but they go somewhere that supresses mutations and he can walk just fine. I guess it's just one of those things I'm not sure of.

Speaking of the cartoon, was the Rogue/Gambit romance simply an artifact of the cartoons? I have some outstanding bets that I have to resolve...

PerpetualNewb
2006-05-28, 02:55 AM
Ah, I didn't realize Charles got his legs crushed. All I knew is that in the cartoon adaptation of the comic, that they go to Muir Island (Uhhh... this can't be the right name) but they go somewhere that supresses mutations and he can walk just fine. I guess it's just one of those things I'm not sure of.

Speaking of the cartoon, was the Rogue/Gambit romance simply an artifact of the cartoons? I have some outstanding bets that I have to resolve...

Xavier had his spine broken by Mangneto after they went their seperate ways. Paralyised Xavier from the waist down.

No, the Rogue/Gambit thing is not an artifact of the cartoons, they just did something involving the two of them last year in the Ultimate X-Men line.

PerpetualNewb
2006-05-28, 03:05 AM
And what was up with that "There are no category 3 mutants in the area, except for you two" or whatever bull****. I mean, if you said something like that in a DnD game, your DM would get on to you for breaking character.

That's her power. I think she might have had that power in the comics, which was how she could originally find all the Morlocks. She definitely didn't have super speed in any other incarnation, however. That's something that really angered me about the Calypso/Storm fights. Either Calypso should have used some sort of weapon against Storm to take advantage of her speed (if Storm couldn't stop Calypso's initial punches, she's won't be able to be able stop a surprise knifing) or Storm should have flown. Easiest way to fight any ground-bound adversary. Either way, the two of them should not have brawled.

How the hell can she KNOW how powerful someone is? I mean, how can you really tell if Cyclops is more or less powerful than Colossus? That was... well, just silly. Even if that sort of talk is in the comics, that was cheese. How do you compare Kitty Pryde to Iceman on this level?

If you can suspend disbelief about a man controlling metal and a woman flaying people with her mind, being able to sense the power of a mutant isn't so unbelievable. Maybe each mutant has an aura around them and she classified the size of the auras into.. well.. classes for her own benefit. But Colossus.. crap, why couldn't they have given him a Russian accent? They even listed his 'Peter Rasputin' name in the credits...

And why the hell could Charles WALK? I thought he was immobile due to part of his mutation. You know, just like that other great mentalist from X2 was immobile.

Xavier wasn't born crippled. After Magneto and he parted ways, Magneto crippled him.

Not to mention the way that Beast can change direction in mid air. *Ring ring* "Hello?" This is a collect call from Physics, will you accept the charges? "No"

Like I said above, if I can believe in flying metal and mental flayings, a little physics abuse isn't a big deal.

Ebonwoulfe
2006-05-28, 03:35 AM
IIt makes sense that a mutant that can detect other mutants, that's all well and good. I don't see any value or fesability in determining how powerful a mutant is, though.

Guy 1: I can shoot laser beams out of my eyes
Guy 2: My farts smell like flowers

They're both mutants, and the first one is clearly more powerful, but how can you quantify their strength against each other? Basically, how come the aura around a guy who has laser eyes is stronger than the aura around fartflower?

This isn't worth discussing, I don't even think the writer could satisfy me on this one.

So does everyone pretty much think that the "cure" isn't permanant? I dunno, I just think it would be a damn shame to lose Rogue... and to keep Logan...

PerpetualNewb
2006-05-28, 04:18 AM
IIt makes sense that a mutant that can detect other mutants, that's all well and good. I don't see any value or fesability in determining how powerful a mutant is, though.

Guy 1: I can shoot laser beams out of my eyes
Guy 2: My farts smell like flowers

They're both mutants, and the first one is clearly more powerful, but how can you quantify their strength against each other? Basically, how come the aura around a guy who has laser eyes is stronger than the aura around fartflower?

This isn't worth discussing, I don't even think the writer could satisfy me on this one.

So does everyone pretty much think that the "cure" isn't permanant? I dunno, I just think it would be a damn shame to lose Rogue... and to keep Logan...

I think if they make another movie, they'll use a "the cure was temporary!" line to justify it. I can see the movie opening with Rogue kissing Bobby/someone else and starting to suck their life. She freaks out, blah blah blah. Magneto got his powers back and has been building another army. Mystique is still pissed at Magneto and goes to work with the X-Men when her powers come back. Xavier is a grab bag. His powers come from his body's mutation, not his mind or personality. His new body should not have his powers. At the same, however, his new body shouldn't produce a voice that is identical to his old one. I can see them bringing Xavier back in his new body with his powers due to some 'he transfered his powers with him' hand-waving.

Ebonwoulfe
2006-05-28, 04:34 AM
I think if they make another movie, they'll use a "the cure was temporary!" line to justify it. I can see the movie opening with Rogue kissing Bobby/someone else and starting to suck their life. She freaks out, blah blah blah. Magneto got his powers back and has been building another army. Mystique is still pissed at Magneto and goes to work with the X-Men when her powers come back. Xavier is a grab bag. His powers come from his body's mutation, not his mind or personality. His new body should not have his powers. At the same, however, his new body shouldn't produce a voice that is identical to his old one. I can see them bringing Xavier back in his new body with his powers due to some 'he transfered his powers with him' hand-waving.

That's not unreasonable for movie's sake, but I hope they don't do it. There's already speculation that Charles is alive, if they redo all the mutants that were cured, then I think the combined forces of all the deus ex machinas will tear the world apart.

Of course, this IS a comic book movie...

LOTR_Dan
2006-05-28, 05:07 AM
The X-Men die a lot. It's no big deal. They'll be back.

Actually, maybe not. Jean's Pheionx in the movie was quite diffrent than the Phenoix from the comic books. (which in itself was retconed but that's a whole other discussion) The Movie Phenoix seems to be just Jean's "Dark Side" untempered because of the Raw Power that she has because she is a Class 7 or whatever. (It's not hard to just call her an Omega Level like in the comics. ::) )

The movie was enjoyable, but it wasn't perfect. Angel feels like he was tacked on at the last minute. He does nothing important to the plot. The Rouge/Ice Man/Shadowcat Love Triangle was laughable. There must have been another way to show Rouge's plight and desire to fit in. But Juggs and Shadowcat were fun, as was seeing Fraser beat the crap out of people.

People have complained that Xavier is acting out of character. I beg to differ. In the words of Kitty Pryde, "Oh my gosh, Professor Xavier is such a jerk!" He certinally means well, but he has lots of flaws. He, like Magneto, thinks he knows best how to save the world. And he is wrong sometimes. I'll spare you the comic book examples because I doubt many of you care, but trust me.

And in the grand tradition of people wanting mutants to show up in the movie, Where is Emma Frost? Where is Psylocke? Where are, dare I dream, Wanda and Pietro?

PerpetualNewb
2006-05-28, 05:41 AM
People have complained that Xavier is acting out of character. I beg to differ. In the words of Kitty Pryde, "Oh my gosh, Professor Xavier is such a jerk!" He certinally means well, but he has lots of flaws. He, like Magneto, thinks he knows best how to save the world. And he is wrong sometimes. I'll spare you the comic book examples because I doubt many of you care, but trust me.

Actually, I kind of enjoyed Xavier being shown as the hypocrit he was.

And in the grand tradition of people wanting mutants to show up in the movie, Where is Emma Frost? Where is Psylocke? Where are, dare I dream, Wanda and Pietro?

Sadly, if you watch the credits, Psylocke was there. She's the asian girl who appeared to come out of the wall. : (

John_D
2006-05-28, 08:06 AM
Okay, I felt that SPOILER: Scott's death was way too ambiguous. I mean, Wolvy finds his shades, they find Jean, they return to the X-Mansion. After that, we don't know what happened to him - was anyone even out looking for him? - until Logan somehow deduces that Jean killed him. All of this lends credence to my theory that nobody gives a crap about Scott (and the evidence is mounting (http://poppycockcircus.com/index.php?page=907)) but it still seems pretty silly.

Second, Angel. SPOILEROO: With his part in the epilogue and the fact that they linked the closing narrative together with him, I thought he would've played a bigger part in the final battle, but he just saves his dad and that's it. Was there a scene where Angel actually did something else useful? I may have dozed off during it.

Things that plain didn't make sense. SPOILERS AHOY: I really didn't get this. First they make Quicksilver a chick (and able to sense the power levels of other mutants, even though that's not really used much) and then, as though there's some vast set of gender scales that must be kept balanced, Marrow becomes a guy. WHAT??

Edit: Just read that "Quicksilver" was actually a cross between Quick and a Morlock named Callisto. Still RARGH-worthy.

Other things. SPOIL MY BITCH UP: I was pretty dismayed to see Mystique lose her powers. I could've watched a blue-painted Rebecca Romijn-Stamos kick the crap out of everyone with her incredible flexibility for another, ooh, seventeen movies. At least.

With all the times Wolverine pissed Magneto off I was really expecting him to rip the adamantium clean off his bones. Of course then we would've had the whole "haha, my healing powers are a bajillion times better now and also I actually had bone claws all along ner ner" thing so maybe it's for the best.

Seeing Beast do his thing was great. Blue mutants win.

I really liked Juggernaut as well. Obviously with so little time in the film the whole Cyttorak thing as well as him being Xavier's half-brother got cut out entirely, but Vinnie Jones played the part so well that I didn't mind.

I had other things too! Maybe I'll remember them later.

The Prince of Cats
2006-05-28, 08:48 AM
A forum full of roleplayers and nobody can spell rogue...

For the hundredth time (or so it seems) - Rogue is a character class and a member of the X-Men, rouge is the french word for red and the name of a type of make-up.

Baerdog7
2006-05-28, 03:30 PM
Honestly, I liked the movie and thought they did a pretty good job of it. Sure, they could have done more with Angel and I would've liked to have seen Gambit but the movie is made and wishing about it won't make it real. I also like how they created their own continuity in the movies. It allowed them to take liberties that they wouldn't have been able to take if they followed one of the comic book storylines, such as killing Scott, Charles, and Jean. I didn't go into the movie expecting it to be canon to the comics and my knowledge of the X-Men comics is lamentably small, so perhaps that's why I wasn't really disappointed by the movie.

-Baerdog7

Seraph
2006-05-28, 04:39 PM
Actually, I kind of enjoyed Xavier being shown as the hypocrit he was.

Sadly, if you watch the credits, Psylocke was there. She's the asian girl who appeared to come out of the wall. : (

yes. the only thing that really angered me about the movie was the fact that they went to the effort of putting psylocke in but didn't even show her using her psychic lightsaber.

Shea Landford
2006-05-28, 06:27 PM
The ended it kind of like the other ones, making you think there would be another one. I think they are going to make a fourth one. And it was a good movie. Lots of blowing things up. ;D

Archonic Energy
2006-05-28, 08:16 PM
Ok my favroite line was the beast saying
to logan: there comes a point in every mans life where he must.. (kills some random guy)... oh, you get the picture
yes yes i hid it i didn't want to ruin it for everyone! sue me!

LordOfNarf
2006-05-28, 10:44 PM
Ok my favroite line was the beast saying
to logan: there comes a point in every mans life where he must.. (kills some random guy)... oh, you get the picture
yes yes i hid it i didn't want to ruin it for everyone! sue me!

The spoiler disscussion tag signifies that this is for people who have seen the movie already, and want to talk about it withiout ruining it for anyone who hasn't

Archonic Energy
2006-05-29, 06:07 AM
The spoiler disscussion tag signifies that this is for people who have seen the movie already, and want to talk about it withiout ruining it for anyone who hasn't

as i said, Sue me! :P

Tomb_Raven
2006-05-29, 09:51 AM
Personaly my fav Xman was always Colossus and i always feel i get scr*wed over in the movies. In 2 he got 2 mins i got my hopes up that he was going to do more but then nothing, and only like 5 seconds with him metal.

Then in Xmen 3 he gets something like 1 line and throws Wolverine 2. I was hopeing to see him in action more than that and i expected him to face up against juggers.

:(

Lilly
2006-05-30, 01:04 AM
I'm not a comic book fan. I'd seen most of the other two movies, but not enough to actually get the whole plot.

That being said, I liked this movie. Well, it'd definatly be a movie to watch again, at least on DVD. I thought of several good points to snipe at, espically how profoundly Jean Grey seems to blink.

Now were my friends and I the only ones who noticed the sudden time change after the bridge landed? It was noon, and then suddenly night. That just made us go WTF for the next five minutes.

bosssmiley
2006-05-30, 01:27 AM
Silly! The sun was setting *as* the bridge was being hauled about the place. Didn't you see the light getting redder in successive shots?

I was very disappointed with the film as a whole. Gaping plot holes you could ride a warhorse through. All I'll say is:

spoiler
Ah, Logan. I see Jean Grey is an out of control mutant. I see you have some anti-mutant serum and not 1, but *2*, mutant buddies who can cancel the powers of other mutants. I think I can see a way out of this situation that doesn't involve you gutting Jean Grey like a gaffed salmon.

Ah, but I forgot; the laws of Hollywood narrative demand that all wilfull or self-reliant female characters in the film must be placed in traditional 'passive' female roles or killed.
/spoiler

::)

The_Werebear
2006-05-30, 01:52 AM
True, the light was getting redder, but it was like

5:00...5:30...6:00...3:20 AM

Baerdog7
2006-05-30, 01:54 AM
Silly! The sun was setting *as* the bridge was being hauled about the place. Didn't you see the light getting redder in successive shots?

I was very disappointed with the film as a whole. Gaping plot holes you could ride a warhorse through. All I'll say is:

spoiler
Ah, Logan. I see Jean Grey is an out of control mutant. I see you have some anti-mutant serum and not 1, but *2*, mutant buddies who can cancel the powers of other mutants. I think I can see a way out of this situation that doesn't involve you gutting Jean Grey like a gaffed salmon.

Ah, but I forgot; the laws of Hollywood narrative demand that all wilfull or self-reliant female characters in the film must be placed in traditional 'passive' female roles or killed.
/spoiler

::)

Hmm, so one mutant power cancelling buddy would be Leech (aka "Bald Kid"), but I'm not sure who the second one is you are talking about. Is it Xavier? Actually, the first thing that went through my mind when Jean Grey started anhilliating everying at the end of the movie was "Collosus, chuck the bald kid at her!" Then I realized that the bald kid would probably be atomized before he got close enought to Jean to neutralize her. Still though, Logan should have been able to save some of the cure he and Beast used on Magneto for her.

-Baerdog7

Rei_Jin
2006-05-30, 02:00 AM
Now were my friends and I the only ones who noticed the sudden time change after the bridge landed? It was noon, and then suddenly night. That just made us go WTF for the next five minutes.

Actually, they DID goof that up. If you check the Wikipedia site about the movie, it states that they stuffed it up, and never noticed it in post production.

Archonic Energy
2006-05-30, 02:58 AM

no i noticed but i assigned that under the "not important to plot" part of my brain... i put all annoying parts of films there... and only access it when i'm at home.
otherwise my friends would kill me for picking apart every film and disecting it.

Kyle
2006-05-30, 06:52 AM
I saw the film but something keeps on bothering me. What happened to Juggernaut?

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-05-30, 06:57 AM
So all in all it's worth seeing?

Rei_Jin
2006-05-30, 06:57 AM
He fell into a plot hole along with everything and everyone else that was left unresolved.

CelestialStick
2006-05-30, 09:17 AM
I thought it was good action, but the plot suffered.
They tried to do too much in one movie. They should have done more with Angel and the mutants Magnito recroutied.
I loved "thats why the pawns go first"
But I thought they really destroyed Magnito's greatest quality, which was his moral complexity. Maybe that wasn't appealing to most people, but its why I loved the character. They turned him into just a terrorist in this movie. I hated when he left Mystic behind. Considering his views and his past one would think loyalty would be a strong characteristic in him, but the creaters of the movie took away his depth.

Also, all we have to go on for Scott's death is Jean's comment and his absence from the rest of the film. To me that sounds like they are leaving an opening for movie 4, where he was just unconsious in the woods or something.

Over all, good action, bad stratagy, and weak plot. This seem more of a comic book movie than the first 2

I agree with your comments about Magneto. He's a Nazi concentration camp survivor with good reason to worry about being singled out for persecution and death. He's not just some two-dimensional villain. They did at least let him regret Charles' death.

There were plenty of things I could criticize about the movie; one or more of the previous posts have covered them, however, so I won't rehash. I did notice that the movie had no Sabertooth (Sabretooth?), no Toad (no big loss there) and no Nightcrawler. I wonder if they did without Nightcrawler because he could have spent the movie teleporting around and stabbing the Brotherhood with needles full of the cure. He could have teleported behind Jean and stabbed her with it too. Or he could have teleported in with the bald kid and neutralized her powers that way.

I didn't find the combat between Storm and Fast Tatto Girl very satisfying. With her superspeed Fast Tattoo Girl should have kicked Storm's butt in hand to hand, and I don't really see how Storm won. Don't get me wrong, I love Storm; hand-to-hand just doesn't really seem to be her forte, especially not against super-speed girl.

This movie more than the others really pointed out just how weak a mutant Logan really is. I mean, I've always thought Wolverine is cool, and as we saw in this movie he can rip apart most other mutants in hand to hand, but at the same time, there are half a dozen other mutants around who can toss him around like a toy or otherwise completely neutralize him. It must give him a horrible inferiority complex. :D

Ok, having said all that, I must say that I absolutely loved the movie. I just can't recall liking the first two so much, though I did like them. I had to choke back tears twice in this one however: once when Xavier died (and all through his funeral) and then again when Logan killed Jean. Almost the entire rest of the movie was so intense that a couple of times when it had some sort of brief interlude, I found myself sitting back in my chair taking a deep breath, as I'd been unconsciously on the edge of my seat holding my breath. I just can't complain too much about a movie I found that utterly griping.

There's no doubt in my mind that the fact that I don't follow the X-Men comics made the movie much more enjoyable for me.

It seems clear to me that they left open not only the possibility but the likelihood of another movie. As long as they can earn a rate of return on an X-Men movie as good or better than on other movies they make, there's no reason for them not to keep making more.

bosssmiley
2006-05-30, 10:26 AM
Hmm, so one mutant power cancelling buddy would be Leech (aka "Bald Kid"), but I'm not sure who the second one is you are talking about.

I was thinking Rogue, who this latest movie turned from being someone you would happily go for a drink with (per the comics and cartoons) into a self-loathing emo wannabe. ::)

Actually, the first thing that went through my mind when Jean Grey started anhilliating everying at the end of the movie was "Collosus, chuck the bald kid at her!" Then I realized that the bald kid would probably be atomized before he got close enought to Jean to neutralize her.

Yes, expend the creepy little spoon-bending kid. I like your thinking. ;D

Still though, Logan should have been able to save some of the cure he and Beast used on Magneto for her.

True, it's not like there weren't enough of the things scattered about the place. ::)

He (edit: Juggernaut) fell into a plot hole along with everything and everyone else that was left unresolved.

You win the internet. ;D

Kyle
2006-05-30, 10:28 AM
Actualy I'm prety sure that Toad was in it twice, the second time he fell off something.

TheElfLord
2006-05-30, 03:06 PM
Actualy I'm prety sure that Toad was in it twice, the second time he fell off something.

While I'm not absolute on that, I belive the character you are thinking of was called Flea, and that Toad was killed in the first movie.

Finwe
2006-05-30, 05:53 PM
Personally I think that putting both the Pheonix and the mutant cure into one movie was far too much to give each justice. There was far too much going on at once to really give anyone much character development.

I was also very disapointed at how the phoenix plot was resolved. I was hoping that Xavier's "don't let it control you," just before he died, would eventually help Jean retake control. Instead she just ends up almost completely loosing it, and has to be killed.

Overall, the action was good, but the plot was only so-so

Leyonius
2006-05-30, 06:29 PM
May I interject

Prof. X is one of the few mutants who's power is not restricted to his body,as he is an omnipath,not a telapath.

Collossus or Nightcrawler could't have thrown/ported in Leech,because Colossus wouldn't have been stronger enogh,and Nightcrawlers telaportation is a mutation

The juggernaut shouldn't have been able to shrug off Logan, Wolverine can take down The flippin Hulk(Hulk#180*)

They couldn't have hit Pheonix with the cure as it simply would have stopped and/or flayed alive anyone who tried(Wolverine didn't have any handy in the final scene,and It would have looked weird if he just walked away from her to go fetch some) Even if they did,she probably would have been able to telekinetically remove it from her bloodstream before it reached her brain.

*woot for my issue quoting uber-nerdiness

Casualgamer
2006-05-30, 07:30 PM
The juggernaut shouldn't have been able to shrug off Logan, Wolverine can take down The flippin Hulk(Hulk#180*)

Not true. Note this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a2/Jugg_heal.jpg

Even flayed of his flesh, he's still the Juggernaut, and he's invincible.

Dhavaer
2006-05-30, 07:50 PM
Speaking of the Juggernaught, who's the woman with triangular hair in the 'I'm the Juggernaught, bitch' video?

CelestialStick
2006-05-30, 08:19 PM
May I interject

Prof. X is one of the few mutants who's power is not restricted to his body,as he is an omnipath,not a telapath.

Collossus or Nightcrawler could't have thrown/ported in Leech,because Colossus wouldn't have been stronger enogh,and Nightcrawlers telaportation is a mutation

They couldn't have hit Pheonix with the cure as it simply would have stopped and/or flayed alive anyone who tried(Wolverine didn't have any handy in the final scene,and It would have looked weird if he just walked away from her to go fetch some) Even if they did,she probably would have been able to telekinetically remove it from her bloodstream before it reached her brain.

*woot for my issue quoting uber-nerdiness

You're right about teleporting the kid; I just didn't think it through. Nighcrawler still could have telported in with one of the cure darts.

I don't see how Logan could ever defeat the Hulk. The Hulk can toss around tanks; Logan's no stronger than a normal man who works out.

Casualgamer
2006-05-30, 08:27 PM
Speaking of the Juggernaught, who's the woman with triangular hair in the 'I'm the Juggernaught, bitch' video?

She's Lilandra.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilandra

LordOfNarf
2006-05-30, 10:03 PM
You're right about teleporting the kid; I just didn't think it through. Nighcrawler still could have telported in with one of the cure darts.

I don't see how Logan could ever defeat the Hulk. The Hulk can toss around tanks; Logan's no stronger than a normal man who works out.

A man who obsesively works out, is in literaly textbook perfect condition and doesen't have top worry about tearing mucles or anything. Oh, and his bones are invincible, and he recovers from any hit in a few seconds.

Mr._Blinky
2006-05-30, 11:25 PM

Actually, Wolverine is still IIRC, at least according to the comics, incredibly strong. Maybe not tank-tossing strong, but still one of the strongest mutants out there.

LOTR_Dan
2006-05-31, 06:54 AM
Hulk strongest one there is.

The Prince of Cats
2006-05-31, 08:33 AM
Hulk strongest one there is.
Just to prove that I am a geek, I have the table to show that he is not necessarily the strongest.

He is ranked as 100+ tons along with a slew of others but there are still some in the ' Incalculable' category who may out-do him. Onslaught, for instance, is a good deal more scary in my book and possibly as strong...
http://www.marveldatabase.com/wiki/index.php/Strength_Scale

(I know this due to a very long argument about whether Thor or Hulk was stronger; it was decided that Hulk might win but Thor was naturally stronger unless Hulk was very angry)

Tomb_Raven
2006-05-31, 10:46 AM
Of course juggers could shrug off wolverine. Juggernaut when he gets moveing is unstoppable he can walk through anything (unless he looses his powers) not even colossus could slow him down by running against him head to head (not in movie)

Raven
Edit: oh and i think speed chick replaced Quicksilver if so then it is reallllly crappy. Who could be cooler than the super speedy son of magneto

Were-Sandwich
2006-05-31, 01:55 PM
And no Gambit, I am sad

Umm.. What was gambits power again. I remember he used to throw explosive playing cards around, but I don't think that was his mutation, or was t, I don't remember.

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-05-31, 02:00 PM
Umm.. What was gambits power again. I remember he used to throw explosive playing cards around, but I don't think that was his mutation, or was t, I don't remember.

He could cause anything he touched to glow orange and spontaneously combust when thrown. He just used the cards for that alot.

CelestialStick
2006-05-31, 02:13 PM
Actually, Wolverine is still IIRC, at least according to the comics, incredibly strong. Maybe not tank-tossing strong, but still one of the strongest mutants out there.
Not according to the Marvel website. It say that he's merely a strong as a normal human of his size who works out. He doesn't even have super human strength.

Duncan_MacSmasher
2006-05-31, 05:43 PM
I'm fine with all of the comic inaccuracies but two:

1) Collossus said "yes, blahbitty blahbitty blah." Not "Da, [something in a thick Russian accent]," but
"yes, blahbitty blahbitty blah."

2) During the Jean/Logan make out scene, Logan should have been around five inches shorter than her.

The Prince of Cats
2006-06-01, 04:25 AM
2) During the Jean/Logan make out scene, Logan should have been around five inches shorter than her.
Meh... I can deal with the height-problems. Logan being 5'3 but played by a 6'2 actor could just be put down to artistic license. I mean, they are not remaking the comics; they are re-imagining the comics in many ways to appeal to the 'realists' in the audience.*
Why not complain about Cyclops? I mean, they got a short-arse to play a fairly tall x-man.

* Note: If they wanted realism, why not just get the rights to the 'Powerless' story?

AmoDman
2006-06-01, 07:29 PM
He could cause anything he touched to glow orange and spontaneously combust when thrown. He just used the cards for that alot.

Actually Gambit's power is to infuse things with kinetic energy at the atomic level (one of the few mutants that can effect things at that level). Part of his backstory is that he had to get his power toned down by Mr. Sinister to controllable levels as he was destroying any and every thing he touched. His fully undiluted powers have almost insane potential.

p.s. I've been posting about X3 elsewhere. I might give my rundown on it later. Don't have time atm ;).

Duncan_MacSmasher
2006-06-01, 08:10 PM
Meh... I can deal with the height-problems. Logan being 5'3 but played by a 6'2 actor could just be put down to artistic license. I mean, they are not remaking the comics; they are re-imagining the comics in many ways to appeal to the 'realists' in the audience.*
Why not complain about Cyclops? I mean, they got a short-arse to play a fairly tall x-man.

* Note: If they wanted realism, why not just get the rights to the 'Powerless' story?

Yeah, I really didn't care about any comic inaccuracies at all, but Logan having to stand on his tip-toes to kiss her would have been incredibly amusing.

CelestialStick
2006-06-02, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I really didn't care about any comic inaccuracies at all, but Logan having to stand on his tip-toes to kiss her would have been incredibly amusing.

I agree that it would have been amusing, but it would also have detracted from the drama between Logan and Jean.

I actually noticed that from different camera angles it looked like Logan was at a different height relative to her: the same height as her in the ones taken from over his shoulder, but shorter than her in the ones taken over her shoulder. I'd forgotten that Logan is supposed to be only 5'3" and don't even know how tall Jean is supposed to be.

Just out of curiosity, does the Logan of the comic books have feelings for Jane, or is that just an artifact of the movies? I actually thought it was a nice touch in the movies, and I wondered if they invented it for the movies to make them more dramatically compelling or not. Certainly having a Logan who's in love with Jean kill her is more dramatic than having a Logan who's not in love with her do the same thing.

Duncan_MacSmasher
2006-06-02, 06:15 PM
Yes, he does. Pretty much everybody in the X-Men has at some point.

Beleriphon
2006-06-02, 09:55 PM
In terms of strength the three strongest characters, physically, in X3 three are Juggernaut, Colossus and the Sentinel.

What I find particularly entertaining about that list is the Apocalypse is listed twice. Once at 10 tons through telekinesis, and 100+ tones through brute force.

Also, the Hulk by all accounts has near limitless strength, provided that you get him angry enough. I seem to recall him pulling apart mountains and shoving dry docked aircraft carriers about.

As for Logan he's at the peak of physical human performance. So if you want a comparison, take a world class power lifter, Logan could lift more by some small amount. What makes him fun is that his blows are weighted by the admantium laced skeleton, so he has a permanent set of brass knuckles.

The Prince of Cats
2006-06-03, 05:36 AM
Logan is also incapable of breaking a bone by over-exerting himself and heals torn muscle and ligaments without breaking a sweat.

If we go by the idea that Bullseye's adamantium spine gives him increased flexibility and agility, Logan is probably even more so.

Old_el_Paso
2006-06-05, 11:11 AM
Havoc is NOT a goth chick! And neither is Quickwitch/Scarletsilver! Poor Quicksilver... Poor Havoc.... Poor Scarlet Witch..... Why the **** did they dop that to my favorite X-Men characters!? WHY!?

AmoDman
2006-06-06, 04:58 PM
Havoc is NOT a goth chick! And neither is Quickwitch/Scarletsilver! Poor Quicksilver... Poor Havoc.... Poor Scarlet Witch..... Why the **** did they dop that to my favorite X-Men characters!? WHY!?

What the hell are you talking about? Those mis-represented reatards in the movie were "supposed" to be Callisto, Spike, and Psylocke. No, Callisto doesn't have super speed, Yes, Spike shoots bone projectiles rather than being a lame porcuipine, and no, Psylocke does not have the power of pure invisibility, but that's still who those were all listed as.

Sophistemon
2006-06-06, 05:22 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a2/Jugg_heal.jpg

Who's the guy in blue?

Ikkitosen
2006-06-06, 09:40 PM
Re-posted frrom my mis-started thread:

Ok, so I have a couple of hardcore/continuity questions about the film that I was hoping you gals and guys could clear up for me.

1. The Phoenix. I was under the impression that The Phoenix was an alien protector of the Shi'Ar (or maybe their crystal) that used Jean Grey's body as a vessel, and was not her own unlimited powers that Prof. X had locked away. Am I right?

2. Juggernaught. Now, he's not a mutant - his powers come from a magical Shard of Cyttorak or something, so the mutant cure wouldn't have affected him, and he'd still have put Kitty through the wall depsite being in the presence of Little Mr. Mutant Damping FieldTM, right?

These just have me wondering whether I'm remembering right. On a related note I thought the film was great even with these possible discontinuities - I'm' not one to pick over a damn good action movie :). Oh, and Kelsey Grammar as Beast? Genius!

AmoDman
2006-06-07, 10:22 PM
Re-posted frrom my mis-started thread:

Ok, so I have a couple of hardcore/continuity questions about the film that I was hoping you gals and guys could clear up for me.

1. The Phoenix. I was under the impression that The Phoenix was an alien protector of the Shi'Ar (or maybe their crystal) that used Jean Grey's body as a vessel, and was not her own unlimited powers that Prof. X had locked away. Am I right?

2. Juggernaught. Now, he's not a mutant - his powers come from a magical Shard of Cyttorak or something, so the mutant cure wouldn't have affected him, and he'd still have put Kitty through the wall depsite being in the presence of Little Mr. Mutant Damping FieldTM, right?

These just have me wondering whether I'm remembering right. On a related note I thought the film was great even with these possible discontinuities - I'm' not one to pick over a damn good action movie :). Oh, and Kelsey Grammar as Beast? Genius!

Neither of these things (currently) appear to be in the continuity of the movies. The Pheonix, however, it should be noted, was not a protecter of the Shi'Ar, but simply a force of nature. And I don't believe the Pheonix was actually usually Jean's body the first tiem around, either, but rather her "essence," or something of the sort.

CelestialStick
2006-06-08, 06:02 PM
Neither of these things (currently) appear to be in the continuity of the movies. The Pheonix, however, it should be noted, was not a protecter of the Shi'Ar, but simply a force of nature. And I don't believe the Pheonix was actually usually Jean's body the first tiem around, either, but rather her "essence," or something of the sort.

According to Wikipedia, the Phoenix Force took Jean's place while she recuperated in a pod at the bottom of the lake. The Phoenix Force didn't even know it was the Phoenix Force, but thought it was Jean.

The_Loose_Moose
2006-06-30, 03:17 PM
This movie wasn't thought out very well; that bald kid that disables mutant powers could have stopped pheonix after escaping the building. BUT NO!!!! How about we make wolverine run up and stab her. And did you notice that woverines regeneration got alot better? Maybe the worse he gets hurt (like getting all of his flesh ripped off) makes him regen faster.

CelestialStick
2006-06-30, 10:05 PM
This movie wasn't thought out very well; that bald kid that disables mutant powers could have stopped pheonix after escaping the building. BUT NO!!!! How about we make wolverine run up and stab her. And did you notice that woverines regeneration got alot better? Maybe the worse he gets hurt (like getting all of his flesh ripped off) makes him regen faster.
Yes, I mentioned the possibility of the bald kid stopping the Phoenix. Or Logan could have just stabbed her with a couple of the cure darts.

Clay_Cthulhu
2006-08-26, 01:36 PM
never saw it...but If is was like the second one it was probably okay. I didn't think that the world needed another movie if the serum was only temporary!