PDA

View Full Version : flcl

reorith
2006-08-22, 01:42 AM
um... i don't get flcl.

whats with the line "nothing amazing ever happens here"

Deckmaster
2006-08-22, 03:56 PM
You've got to watch FLCL at least three times to even remotely understand anything that's going on on the show. Then you have to watch it three more times to be able to explain it to anybody else.

I'm not there yet.

WampaX
2006-08-22, 04:01 PM
You've got to watch FLCL at least three times to even remotely understand anything that's going on on the show. Then you have to watch it three more times to be able to explain it to anybody else.

I'm not there yet.

Or you just need to have swappable brain hemispheres.

I got it in 1 . . . but explaining it to others (especially non-Anime people) is a bear. A big dancing bear that juggles penguins while riding a motorized tricycle to a techno club remix of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonota.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-22, 04:14 PM
Naota's repeated assertion that "Nothing amazing ever happens here" is at times foreshadowing and almost always an ironic statement.

There's a couple of threads in FLCL. On the one hand, it's a coming of age story, and almost everything and everyone in the story represents some aspect of that (pay attention to how good different characters are with a baseball bat, for example, or what kind of curry and soft drinks they like). There are far too many metaphors to get into here, plus many of them are sexual in nature.

There's also an actual plotline - Haruhara Haruko's search for Atomsk and Medical Mechanica's plans for world/galactic domination. Plus the whole soap opera-ish relationships (primarily involving Mamimi, Ninamori, Haruko, Naota, and Kamon).

You really do need to watch it a couple times to get a handle on all the different elements, since it's so short and so fast paced.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2006-08-25, 01:58 AM
It was good... a total mind <fck>, but really cool. I just can't wait for the last episode of Gunbusters to come out.

Tom_Violence
2006-08-25, 03:39 AM
For the less-educated among us, any chance someone could tell me what this is about? It sounds fairly interesting but my Ambiguous Acronym Translator fell in the sink.

Edit: Well, work was slow so I went to Google, and wow, apparently its not actually an acronym. Damn, and there I was all set to get sarcy at people for not bothering to type stuff out. :P

Quirinus_Obsidian
2006-08-25, 08:23 PM
it's pronounced fooly cooly. basically it's an ambiguous term for sexual behaivior or deviancy. Googling that may bring some interesting results. =)

Nice avatar. ;D

Poison_Fish
2006-08-25, 09:20 PM
I just like to look at it as a coming of age story. Of course, it'll have all the sexual tension and what not, that's all part of growing up.

On a note that got me thinking. The whole "Swing the Bat" thing. I did interpret it everyone's favorite way the first time, but on further thought about it, it could just simply mean "Gain Confidence to do something by yourself".

Good stuff overall.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-26, 12:40 AM
it's pronounced fooly cooly. basically it's an ambiguous term for sexual behaivior or deviancy. Googling that may bring some interesting results. =)
Actually, it's basically a non-sense term. "Kuri kuri," on the other hand, is a term associated with sexuality, though not really sexual deviance.

On a note that got me thinking. The whole "Swing the Bat" thing. I did interpret it everyone's favorite way the first time, but on further thought about it, it could just simply mean "Gain Confidence to do something by yourself".
Probably a little of both, and an all-around metaphor for maturity.

The Wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flcl) is pretty solid, but I don't know how much confusion it will actually alleviate.