PDA

View Full Version : "I need more dice!"

Zergrusheddie
2009-08-02, 12:08 PM
Stupid question, but I'm sure I have had even dumber ones.

What is the most dice you have ever rolled or seen rolled at 1 time? I think the winner for me is when the TWF Fighting Rogue with his Wand of Divine Power hit 6 times with 2 crits. 56d6 rolled and he only got like 135 damage because he rolled very, very poorly.

Best of luck
-Eddie

Yukitsu
2009-08-02, 12:12 PM
278, from 3 full "Front rank fire, second rank, fire!" imperial guard regiments firing at the last unit of Chaos terminators with their lasguns. (followed by about 120 hits, 20 wounds, and ended with one termi out of 4 still alive. :smallsigh:)

The most I theoretically could have rolled if I wanted to is 6.34(x2^15) d6 when I was blowing up the multiverse.

Frosty
2009-08-02, 12:20 PM
So 278 shots and only 3 deaths? That sounds about right fluff-wise :smallbiggrin:

daggaz
2009-08-02, 12:23 PM
Hey, its laser guns! We've all seen GI Joe..

ChaosDefender24
2009-08-02, 12:28 PM
36d6. cryohydra ftw

Nai_Calus
2009-08-02, 12:34 PM
Surprisingly enough, just seventeen. And I own nearly a thousand.

I've gotta find a way to use that Vengeful Gaze Of God spell in a RL 3.5 game one of these days. And a plastic kiddie swimming pool to dump dice into. I *can* roll 305d6 all at once. >D (341 d6s!)

AstralFire
2009-08-02, 12:37 PM
When I get above 10, I start just taking average, roll 2d6, subtract seven, and multiply by an eighth of the total dice to determine variation.

e.g. 24d6 becomes 84+[(2d6-7)x3], with results from 69 to 99.
40d6 becomes 140+[(2d6-7)x5], with results 115 to 165.

This is all assuming I'm doing dice in person; online, something sums it up for me. :smalltongue:

RTGoodman
2009-08-02, 12:41 PM
Surprisingly enough, just seventeen. And I own nearly a thousand.

Yeah, same here - I don't own nearly that many, but the most I've rolled is somewhere around 16-18. That was in an Axis & Allies: War at Sea game where I was fielding the Yamato, one of the biggest ships in the game, and shooting from point-blank range with my my guns. (I also got a secondary gun attack with like 10 dice and a tertiary gun attack with another handful, but I guess those are all separate).

Of course, in a game that features the Yamato, the Tennessee, and the other giant super-battleships, that's pretty much par for the course.

Meat Shield
2009-08-02, 12:44 PM
Yamato?
http://www.filmbuffonline.com/ReadingRoom/images/StarBlazers1.jpg

For me, it was 22d6 three times in a fight. Ninth level swordsage maneuvers for the win!

AstralFire
2009-08-02, 12:45 PM
You say Yamato, I say hotdog attached to the topside of an inverted steel finger.

Zergrusheddie
2009-08-02, 12:47 PM
I knew that most people would just average it up, which is why I was curious. The Rogue usually did it too if he was rolling that much but considering he had just hit that much, he actually asked if he could roll it all out. Every said yes simply because we wanted him to kill the BBEG. He was off by like 31 and the DMPC Bradley, who were not even supposed to keep, gets the kill as the BBEG runs past him thinking that the AoO will not be that bad. Crit, and rolled very well.

GO BRADLEY!

Zergrusheddie
2009-08-02, 12:49 PM
You say Yamato, I say hotdog attached to the topside of an inverted steel finger.

Hahaha!

*wheez*

I can't breathe....

RTGoodman
2009-08-02, 12:52 PM
Yamato?

Well, more like this:

http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/images/was_gallery/Yamato.jpg

A much more dignified ship compared to the hotdog-and-finger combination above. :smalltongue:. And checking the Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_Yamato), yeah, it appears she WAS, in fact, along with her sister ship the Musashi, the largest battleship ever built.

Tengu_temp
2009-08-02, 12:54 PM
Do rolls as a GM count? In my M&M Nanoha game, one of the players attacked a group of around 30 robots with an area blast. That means ~30d20 for their reflex rolls, and ~30d20 for toughness rolls. Good that it's a PbP game, because I often throw such huge groups at my players.

Meat Shield
2009-08-02, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I knew what you meant (minored in military history in college!) so I figured I would throw out something a little more obscure. And yeah, those were BIG ships. I believe the Musashi, without looking it up so if I am wrong I'm sorry, took something like ten torpedoes and twenty bombs before she went down. All direct hits. The air crews pretty much ignored the rest of the Jap fleet that engagement and kept piling on to take down the big boy. Would have butchered any ship we sent its way. That is what happens when you build a ship specifically to be bigger and tougher than anything else that can fit through the Panama Canal.

Cristo Meyers
2009-08-02, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I knew what you meant (minored in military history in college!) so I figured I would throw out something a little more obscure. And yeah, those were BIG ships. I believe the Musashi, without looking it up so if I am wrong I'm sorry, took something like ten torpedoes and twenty bombs before she went down. All direct hits. The air crews pretty much ignored the rest of the Jap fleet that engagement and kept piling on to take down the big boy. Would have butchered any ship we sent its way. That is what happens when you build a ship specifically to be bigger and tougher than anything else that can fit through the Panama Canal.

They both took an insane amount of punishment before going down. Yamato took around 10 torpedo hits and 7 bomb hits, the Musashi took around 17 bomb and 19 torpedo hits.

The super-carrier, Taiho, however...well, she kinda died an ignoble death from a lucky torpedo hit. Hit the fuel line which went critical later and ripped the thing apart.

I'm sure I've seen more dice thrown at me, but right now the only record I can remember is 65. Imperial Guard, "First rank, FIRE. Second rank, FIRE" on my 4 terminators. Somewhere in the area of 18 wounds, with 2 kills.

This is after some Sisters of Battle hit all four of them with several melta and inferno shots that never managed to kill any of them.

Yukitsu
2009-08-02, 01:16 PM
Wow, uncanny. :smalltongue:

BobVosh
2009-08-02, 01:26 PM
In factory, which is a Spanish game one of my friends brought to play with us, there is a spell that damage is variable number of dice. The variable? How many dice are on the table. Roll them all, and multiple it by 100. Somewhere around 200 or so at the time.

Master_Rahl22
2009-08-02, 01:28 PM
The most I've ever rolled is 60, 30 Boyz with Shootas, although that was only one game since I usually go with smaller squads. More frequently will I roll 30 from 15 Necron Warriors rapid firing, since 15 is about the sweet spot for those squads when I play.

only1doug
2009-08-02, 01:28 PM
I GM'd a game of steel chaos once, I think the players had weapons doing 50-60 d6 / shot....

nice concept for a game, combat rules needed re-working a bit.

AstralFire
2009-08-02, 01:29 PM
In factory, which is a Spanish game one of my friends brought to play with us, there is a spell that damage is variable number of dice. The variable? How many dice are on the table. Roll them all, and multiple it by 100. Somewhere around 200 or so at the time.

What.

Alaris
2009-08-02, 01:35 PM
Oddly enough, 20d6. My Monk/Wizard managed to get a hold of an Artifact-level weapon, as one of the "Knights." A Crystal Scythe, which, when activated using a special other item, will deal 20d6 damage to the target in an explosion of light.

Was pretty badass.

Though without custom weapons? I've only dealt 10d6 with a fireball. Blarg.

TheOOB
2009-08-02, 01:53 PM
Only 32d6 for me, but it happened quite a bit. Meteor Swarm deals that much damage if all the meteors hit one target.

Frog Dragon
2009-08-02, 01:54 PM
Ones I can remember? Well I have one that's actually a repeat incident. Happened numerous times. Broodlord and pals (6 upgraded genestealers) assault. Rolling for genestealers seperately thats 24 rolls. then there's those squads of hormagaunts which quickly give me 30 attacks. From one 10 monster squad priced at 100 pts. I love nids.

VirOath
2009-08-02, 05:37 PM
When I get above 10, I start just taking average, roll 2d6, subtract seven, and multiply by an eighth of the total dice to determine variation.

e.g. 24d6 becomes 84+[(2d6-7)x3], with results from 69 to 99.
40d6 becomes 140+[(2d6-7)x5], with results 115 to 165.

This is all assuming I'm doing dice in person; online, something sums it up for me. :smalltongue:

So... (n) is the number of dice rolled. (s) is the size of the dice(max roll). X is n*[(s+1)/2]

Which means... T= X+[(2d's'-{s+1})*(n/8)]

When the DM needs to use Algebra to calculate damage, you know it's going to hurt :smalltongue:

(Edit) Though, for true variation, it should be (n/2) at the end instead of (n/8). That would give you the full range of min rolled to max rolled, at the expense that you would be doing stages of damage that would have a large leap, and that it is skewing chances in favor of the unlikely odds. (n/8) is a good medium, just providing alternatives to people that may wish to adopt this method. (/edit)

But the most I was supposed to roll was 100D10. It was for the damage of a spell that summoned a swarm of bugs that ate the target. Catch? It was all physical damage, delivered one point at a time.

I rolled D%1000 instead.

Skorj
2009-08-02, 06:24 PM
There's a rule from a very old Dragon that calls for rolling all dice in a 10 foot radius. Awesome when someone at the table has those 1000 dice. :biggrin:

AstralFire
2009-08-02, 06:49 PM
So... (n) is the number of dice rolled. (s) is the size of the dice(max roll). X is n*[(s+1)/2]

Which means... T= X+[(2d's'-{s+1})*(n/8)]

When the DM needs to use Algebra to calculate damage, you know it's going to hurt :smalltongue:

It's just easier (especially when averaging die is intuitive) to do that than roll your two monopoly die twenty times.

Cieyrin
2009-08-02, 07:10 PM
Homebrew item that WotC later made called Gnomish Fire, which comes in a variety of die sizes, from the puny d4 to the potentially nuclear d100. Basically you rolled the base die and then you rolled the result in those dice to determine damage and radius. I set off a d100 Gnomish Fire and then Planeshifted to wait out the fallout >_>;; I think it rolled 68d100, which i used percentile dice, so 136d10 @_@

xPANCAKEx
2009-08-02, 07:47 PM
2nd ed warhammer

80 eldar guardians on the table with shuriken catapults
80 sustained fire dice rolls (urg that took a long time)
i think it was something like 140+ attack rolls

that took a LOT of rolling

Delaney Gale
2009-08-02, 08:02 PM
What is the most dice you have ever rolled or seen rolled at 1 time? I think the winner for me is when the TWF Fighting Rogue with his Wand of Divine Power hit 6 times with 2 crits. 56d6 rolled and he only got like 135 damage because he rolled very, very poorly.

I play an epic level archer-type arcane trickster. She's got six arrows per round, and while we were fighting a red dragon, each arrow was:

1d8 for being an arrow
7d6 for sneak attack
2d6 for cold damage
1d6 for sacred damage
2d6 for holy damage
2d6 for magebane damage

16d6 per arrow. All of them hit for 6d8 + 90d6. It converted to 478 damage. Everyone was happy, except the dragon.

Semidi
2009-08-02, 08:27 PM
I once had a nWoD mage character who, with his pistols, had to roll 50 D10s and re-rolled on all 8, 9, and 10s. I had to do this for every attack (when he was buffed for it). It got to the point where the storyteller told me that everything I attacked turned into fine red mist.

Edit: I forgot that I had Fighting Style: combat marksmanship 5, so I could hypothetically roll around 400 dice... (or 50 to four different enemies). Yeah... The cheese.

kjones
2009-08-02, 08:57 PM
I had a homebrew magical item, the Staff of Arcane Might, that could be broken in a retributive strike for 50d10 damage. During the final battle, the villian's henchman stole it, and tried to use it in desperation- when he realized that he couldn't, he broke it, vaporizing himself and catching the Favored Soul in the blast.

The bitch of it is that the Favored Soul survived. I rolled poorly for damage ( < 200, IIRC), he made his saving throw, and he had mucho fire resistance to boot.

FMArthur
2009-08-02, 09:06 PM
Due to the poorly-worded Snatch feat, you don't take falling damage when thrown off a cliff, you just take 1d6 per 10 feet travelled with no cap. There were quite a few times when this was abused to devastating effect in one campaign. The first and largest was a 2000ft drop, requiring 200d6. It was described as being a titanic throw that left a giant crater visible from our elevation.

Hida Reju
2009-08-02, 09:24 PM
For me it was Robotech from Paladium during capital ship combat.

20 volleys of 10s missiles each doing 4d6x100 damage.

800D6x100

And yes we rolled them all out in groups of 10 missiles for 40d6 inbetween combat rounds.

We calculated the cost of each round of combat in Dollars for fun at somewhere between 400+ million.

DragoonWraith
2009-08-02, 09:59 PM
Err... 2d6, in Monopoly, Backgammon, and any number of similar games.

Heh, never played D&D IRL.

RTGoodman
2009-08-02, 11:02 PM
Err... 2d6, in Monopoly, Backgammon, and any number of similar games.

What, no 5d6 with Yahtzee?

AstralFire
2009-08-02, 11:08 PM
What, no 5d6 with Yahtzee?

I've never played a game with more than 2 dice in real life except for a small handful of D&D sessions.

My D&D dice set consists primarily of dice I plundered from Monopoly, Clue and Parcheesi.

Fri
2009-08-02, 11:09 PM
For me it was Robotech from Paladium during capital ship combat.

20 volleys of 10s missiles each doing 4d6x100 damage.

800D6x100

And yes we rolled them all out in groups of 10 missiles for 40d6 inbetween combat rounds.

We calculated the cost of each round of combat in Dollars for fun at somewhere between 400+ million.

Ah.. the beauty of macross missile massacre. Fastest way to burn through your planet's defensive budget.

Hida Reju
2009-08-03, 04:08 AM
Ah.. the beauty of macross missile massacre. Fastest way to burn through your planet's defensive budget.

Yeah and we still lost big time. (Stupid main cannon BS) But luring the enemy fleat into the Astroid belt that was really a massive mine field was very tasty. Kept a strong gorrilla war going for a few years.

Eldan
2009-08-03, 04:17 AM
Well, back when I still got to play warhammer fantasy... unit of skaven clan rats with spears, set up to have a very broad front. About 40d6 regularly, if I remember correctly.

Leeham
2009-08-03, 04:19 AM
I once had a nWoD mage character who, with his pistols, had to roll 50 D10s and re-rolled on all 8, 9, and 10s. I had to do this for every attack (when he was buffed for it). It got to the point where the storyteller told me that everything I attacked turned into fine red mist.

Edit: I forgot that I had Fighting Style: combat marksmanship 5, so I could hypothetically roll around 400 dice... (or 50 to four different enemies). Yeah... The cheese.

Wait, what? How?

Deadmeat.GW
2009-08-03, 04:38 AM
Most dice for a single attack...Exalted with a character who was a master artificer with all the stuff for increased damage against something made from not-living materials...

With starting strength of 4 I rolled 48 ten-sided dice for aggravated damage (only on constructs, inanimate objects and such...) as the GM had forgotten I may do only 16 bashing damage against anything living but if it was some kind of construct or inanimated object I could change the damage type and/or put a multiplier and some other bonuses on top.
I added all my crafting skill to my damage also and since he had ruled you needed to buy all the different crafting skills separately for metal, wood, chemical, stone I had 4 dots in each of those skills...( I was going for 10 in crafting skill as the generic skill but he thought that was too cheesy for someone who wanted to be a master crafts man able to create first age level artifacts and I adventured with the rest only so I could go to places to study new artifacts and old artifacts)

Ooops?

His poor first age constructs stood no chance :).

Only time I also was successful in a fight other then as the kid that went and knocked the castle down (in one hit most of the time, against the castle I did not change he damage code of the attack but just went with a couple of extra multipliers...felt more satisfying, the GM refused to let me roll the dice though as he was annoyed when he saw what I could do, that would have been 80 D10 damage and I needed 100 damage to smash the gate completely...) so the rest of the party could get in and destroy the enemy as they were the combatants and I was the person who 'made' the 'door' or repaired/crafted new gear.

Lord Loss
2009-08-03, 04:47 AM
one of my players dealt 16d6 every time he attacked. At level 10.

banthesun
2009-08-03, 05:15 AM
Aw, I thought this was a thread about the unexplainable compusion I have to purchase dice. A compulsion directly proportional to the number of sides. :smallfrown:

Mine was 40k, one unit of twelve pathfinders and another of firewarriors, both standing in a building with ammo stockpile and fuel dump (or whatever it was that gave me rerolls to hit and wound), rapid firing at a single chaos space marine. He survived, and went on to wipeout both units.

Wyvern_55
2009-08-03, 06:40 AM
Well, that would be a quick game of GURPS, using the alternate rules wherein you don't use multipliers for explosive damage, you roll the dice (you get more realistic damage that way.)

For the record, a one megaton thermonuclear explosion does something in the neighborhood of 6d6 X 89442 damage with a follow up of 4d6 X 89442 damage.

Using the alternate rule that works out to 890,420 D6
We wrote a quick script to figure it out.

And that's the story of how I dealt 3 billion damage to my 12HP character.

Hunter Noventa
2009-08-03, 07:11 AM
I don't recall the exact number, but I do know I had to occasionally roll oodles of dice when we were playing Macross. When the damage for a single missile is around 2d4x100 MDC...well you know how the Macross Missile massacre (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MacrossMissileMassacre) looks, you do the math.

Roderick_BR
2009-08-03, 07:49 AM
Only twenty something when DMing Tomb of Horrors for some friends (they died/gave up on the first trap).
I heard tales of dozens of dice being rolled on Shadowrun games, though.

Kobold-Bard
2009-08-03, 08:22 AM
The exact opposite to what his thread's about (I don't have any mega roll stories).

d20 modern, my Strong Hero Hugh Mungus has to jump of a wall to escape the self-destructing military base because the rope just broke. With all of 18HP left rolling 10d6 falling damage has people planning my funeral. I managed to roll just 11 damage and as the DM put it "landed in a crater formed from my own awesomeness" before brushing myself off and shouting at the "rogue" for stealing everything in sight except for more rope.

Good times.

Harperfan7
2009-08-03, 08:34 AM
One shot adventure, 20th level. Saw a guy with 19 rogue levels crit with a disintegration ray he shot from a UMD'd scroll, did a total of 100d6. Ridiculous.

Weezer
2009-08-03, 09:43 AM
My most was when I had 12 Howling banshees charge a unit of 12 fire warriors. I rolled about 40d6, needless to say there were no survivors.
Huzzah for crazed space-elf chicks with electric swords!

Kaiyanwang
2009-08-03, 10:21 AM
Not more that 20d6. After that, you start to, say, take the average of 18d6 and then roll 2d6.

Thespianus
2009-08-03, 05:34 PM
My level 4 character ( Rouge 3/Wiz 1 w. Practiced Spellcaster) made a touch attack with his Shocking Grasp and scored a critical while flanking. 10D6 in total. Funny.

It's not insanely much, but in a very unoptimized party, at level 4, the reaction on everyone's faces when I started picking out D6 for the roll was ... priceless! :smallsmile:

Deth Muncher
2009-08-03, 11:49 PM
I don't remember quite the exact number, but I had a full squad of Khorn Berzerkers charging in one turn, with Kharn at the front. I know I rolled at least one block (36d6) of dice, most likely more.

sofawall
2009-08-04, 02:15 AM
Well, I only play high level guys on forums, so my actual dice would only be 4d20+6d6, really. I never go for high dice, static numbers are much better.

As for spells, if it's getting ridiculous, my Tabletop DM lets me just take average, and since I always roll rubbish, I always take average.

Moqireh
2009-08-04, 06:19 AM
10d6(2x4d6+2d6) by sneak attacking with scorching ray. The target might have been a flesh golem and immune to the sneak attack damage, it burned just fine either way.

oxinabox
2009-08-04, 07:11 AM
For various reasoins a TWF can apply sneak or sudden strike on all hits.
Eg FlatFoot round (and he happened to be next to the enemy during that round) or when enemy is blinded.

one of my players Improved Two weapon fighting Ninja 7/dread pirate 2 (confer's TWF as bonus feat)
from nija lvls can do 5d6 per hit (assuming the denieing of dex coninues)

Since we rolled all the hits -4, and when they all hit rolled all the damages at once:
20d6 +2d8 + 2d6 =22d6+2d8
Not bad for a lvl 9