PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Running an Assassination

The Neoclassic
2009-08-02, 12:33 PM
The PC is the assassin. They know the name of their target and their address. They are required to kill the victim and take the body with them (they have a magic item which allows them to easily pick up, shrink, and carry the body). However... I don't know how to run a lot of the specifics. I imagine they should have to use Hide, Move Silently, and Listen at various points to sneak in and get about unnoticed. What other obstacles might they run into? What should they be worried about? If the target manages to scream, how many rounds should it take for back-up to arrive? Might they realistically have some system to magically alert authorities or guards of break-ins or panicked screams?

Also, I think I'll need a floor plan of the house? The target is a rich merchant who has at least one body guard, and has several family members living in the house as well. Any good sources for quick floorplans (or even a rough written outline is enough).

This is for the beginning of a solo campaign, which hopefully I'll be starting tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it goes. :smallbiggrin: Any help would be useful. Thanks!

AstralFire
2009-08-02, 12:41 PM
Alarm is a first level spell. Realism of them having the spell depends on the target's wealth and the availability of magic in your setting.

I'd say a scream would give you 1d3+1 rounds to get out of there. Less if the guards are really close, more if they're poorly paid and trained. Police authorities would take more time - 20 rounds at best unless they're next door.

This subsite (http://www.enworld.org/CrookedStaffProductions/page17.html) is currently hanging for me - damn EnWorld - but it packs lots of premade, usable maps.

Tempest Fennac
2009-08-02, 12:44 PM
If buildings need planning permission in your world, the town hall could have archives containing plans for houses, but it's more likely that the merchant would keep the plans in the house rather then wanting them where people could see them. I'd say it would take 1 round for someone in a room which is on the same corridor as the merchant's room to get there in the event of a scream, unless the house is massive (I'd need to see exact plans to say for certain). Neighbours seeing the assasination is another potential hazard, and there is a chance that a town guard will be patrolling the area at the time (I'd roll a dice to dectermine if anyone else is likely to see it; rolling 1d10 and having 1 as a guard coming along, 2-4 could result in a neighbour being in the area and a 5-10 could mean that nobody is around).

Just out of curiosity, what race is the player using, and what class and level are they? Also, which races are common in the town where the game will be happening? (The assasination could lead to tensions which could provide a future plot depending on the demographics for the town).

Astral, Alarm is level 1.

The Neoclassic
2009-08-02, 01:09 PM
Ah, yes, setting and PC details! The PC is level 12 (5 levels are in assassin, 7 in a homebrew class) and an elf. The society is also primarily elven (hence allowing him to use a Bane [humanoid (elf)] dagger to great effect).

Given that it's a lawful, organized society, I think the building plans on hand would be an awesome idea. He could either get them through the town hall or a similar city/government office (via bribery, friends in the right places, sneaking in, or some semi-legal manner). If that doesn't work, if he could find the architect or a disgruntled former servant, that might also work.

Alarm is an excellent idea, perhaps just for around hthe target's bedroom? Audible might be better, since I don't know if a mental one would work while the target is sleeping (my elves do sleep, not just trance though they are still immune to magical sleep spells). However, how might my player be able to deal with all this noise and ruckus? The idea is he's been an assassin for a while now and is just starting to climb into the upper ranks of the organization, so I imagine he'd have some smart way to deal with that? Is there any reliable way to detect or dismantle such an alarm system?

As far as other folks coming running, the timing sounds pretty good. Thanks for the estimates!

I'll check out that site; thanks for the link! Yay for premade maps.

I have a general idea for plot development and such; this first assassination is mostly a practice exercise for the PC and I to get adjusted to the game, how to run assassinations, etc. They will get more political (and quite possibly tied into current intrachurch tensions) and far more interesting from here on out.

evil-frosty
2009-08-02, 01:31 PM
Dogs could be a big problem, they could raise the alarm and/or attack him causing some noise which might draw attention. Also you could have the merchant have a son who is sneaking out of the house and they run into each other. Those are just a couple of ideas off the top of my head.

Revanmal
2009-08-02, 01:35 PM
However, how might my player be able to deal with all this noise and ruckus? The idea is he's been an assassin for a while now and is just starting to climb into the upper ranks of the organization, so I imagine he'd have some smart way to deal with that? Is there any reliable way to detect or dismantle such an alarm system?

If the target has access to a spellcaster of some kind, a few wards, both visible and non, hooked to alarms or traps would probably provide a good deterrent to petty thieves. An assassin with a dispel wand and maybe some detect magic goggles? Minor inconveniences. :smalltongue: Still, it can provide quite a shock if they get careless and end up setting one off or the guards notice the little glowy symbol on the windowsill is gone now.

The Neoclassic
2009-08-02, 01:46 PM
An assassin with a dispel wand and maybe some detect magic goggles? Minor inconveniences. :smalltongue: Still, it can provide quite a shock if they get careless and end up setting one off or the guards notice the little glowy symbol on the windowsill is gone now.

Oooh, I like it. Detect magic goggles are easy to do, but what about dispelling? My assassin sadly can't cast dispell magic nor does he have ranks in Use Magic Device. How about something like this?

Magic-be-Gone Froth: Yes, the name is extremely lame. Can anyone think of a better description or name? Basically, an item that allows the user to dispell magic once, specifially a targeted dispell. It'd work as a 5th level caster (hence +5 to the dispell check). Would there be any not-super-expensive way to make the caster level higher, or would it just have to be +150 per caster level? Cost: 750 gp.

Also, what could the assassin do if this one-time use item failed? Would it be possible for there to be some special cloak or such that he could wear which would fail to set off alarm spells (and only alarm spells)? If so, how much would something like that cost?

Fuzzy_Juan
2009-08-02, 01:49 PM
it takes a good check, but a decent thief can disarm a mystical trap like any other...just tends to be harder. rod of negation may be used, or scrolls of dispellation.

Another way is simply to bypass the wards if you know where they are and how they protect. Keep in mind that contrary to popular fiction, the classical 'ninja' stealing into a guarded location in the dead of night and slaying the target is more myth than fact. Yes it happened every now and then if their guard was low enough or out of necesity such as a fast time table, but more often than not assasins used deciet.

The 'unseen' assasain was usually someone who worked their way quietly into a position to get close to the target...then when the time was right, they carried out the task...if they dissapeared, it was only because their cover was blown, otherwise, they kept cover and just went about their business.

Other times, they would seek to ambush their quarry on the move, or at a different location they they knew better and could prepare for. Habits are the friend of the assassin. Do they go to the same location regularly, take baths at the same time, always throw parties using a service, who delivers goods to their home, any interests? Assassins use these things to try to establish a pattern and use that to lure or anticipate in order to carry out their plans.

Now, in a DnD world, where divinations may just flat out spoil things, well...that can pose an entirely different problem. of course magic can just foil magic, so there you have things covered...you are the DM so it is up to you if the assassin's guild covers the cost of foiling divinations as part of the fee...

If it were me, and I had to do a B&E, I would probably grab a house guard while he was off duty and knock him out quietly. Next steps are the mind rape and an alter self. A good study of his habits and the mind reading should have given enough of an advantage in terms of names, basic security, and layout to further plan the infiltration...it would also allow you to walk armed right into the main house and past the wards. A moment of quiet time with the boss (even if another is around) do a quick 3 round study and then knife them with a quick draw assasin strike...hopefully they die in one hit, else...whatever...hopefully they know if their target is actually a powerful warrior or a high level anything...cause if so, they have a whole other problem... I might have a use activated silence cast on a rock to activate when dropped to the floor and pitch it out before I stabbed him. Then just snag the body and book it to a non warded area and either use a teleport effect, or expiditious retreat to get the hell out.

Best would be to get hired on as help that would be allowed into bed chaimbers alone, like someone who cleans the chaimber pots, or a server...else anyone else who might share ample alone time. Then carry out the deed...could be a good poison, a death spell...i love a reduce effect on a large clump of food and dispelling the effect when they try to swollow...no poison, no residual magic...they just accidentally swollowed something too big and choked...though forcing the taking of the body makes it more difficult.

AstralFire
2009-08-02, 01:50 PM
Oooh, I like it. Detect magic goggles are easy to do, but what about dispelling? My assassin sadly can't cast dispell magic nor does he have ranks in Use Magic Device. How about something like this?

Magic-be-Gone Froth: Yes, the name is extremely lame. Can anyone think of a better description or name? Basically, an item that allows the user to dispell magic once, specifially a targeted dispell. It'd work as a 5th level caster (hence +5 to the dispell check). Would there be any not-super-expensive way to make the caster level higher, or would it just have to be +150 per caster level? Cost: 750 gp.

Also, what could the assassin do if this one-time use item failed? Would it be possible for there to be some special cloak or such that he could wear which would fail to set off alarm spells (and only alarm spells)? If so, how much would something like that cost?

Adam's Anti-Magic Powder. And remember, you as the DM can adhoc any cost you so choose, the Magic Item guidelines more than other parts are suggestions and not rules.

The Neoclassic
2009-08-02, 05:40 PM
Adam's Anti-Magic Powder. And remember, you as the DM can adhoc any cost you so choose, the Magic Item guidelines more than other parts are suggestions and not rules.

Anti-Magic Powder is good... I may go with that for this time and work on the anti-alarm device for later. Could be something the assassins' guild is currently perfecting and will soon distribute to its members. I know the guidelines are just that, but as I suck at balance, I do try to mostly stick with them.

Another way is simply to bypass the wards if you know where they are and how they protect. Keep in mind that contrary to popular fiction, the classical 'ninja' stealing into a guarded location in the dead of night and slaying the target is more myth than fact. Yes it happened every now and then if their guard was low enough or out of necesity such as a fast time table, but more often than not assasins used deciet.

The 'unseen' assasain was usually someone who worked their way quietly into a position to get close to the target...then when the time was right, they carried out the task...if they dissapeared, it was only because their cover was blown, otherwise, they kept cover and just went about their business.

Other times, they would seek to ambush their quarry on the move, or at a different location they they knew better and could prepare for. Habits are the friend of the assassin. Do they go to the same location regularly, take baths at the same time, always throw parties using a service, who delivers goods to their home, any interests? Assassins use these things to try to establish a pattern and use that to lure or anticipate in order to carry out their plans.

... :smallbiggrin:

I entirely neglected to think about day habits where a target might be alone or poorly protected. That's an excellent idea.

Now, in a DnD world, where divinations may just flat out spoil things, well...that can pose an entirely different problem. of course magic can just foil magic, so there you have things covered...you are the DM so it is up to you if the assassin's guild covers the cost of foiling divinations as part of the fee...

Yeah, keeping divination and all other sorts of magic in mind can be difficult for me sometimes. :smallsigh: Good reminder though.

If it were me, and I had to do a B&E, I would probably grab a house guard while he was off duty and knock him out quietly. Next steps are the mind rape and an alter self. A good study of his habits and the mind reading should have given enough of an advantage in terms of names, basic security, and layout to further plan the infiltration...it would also allow you to walk armed right into the main house and past the wards. A moment of quiet time with the boss (even if another is around) do a quick 3 round study and then knife them with a quick draw assasin strike...hopefully they die in one hit, else...whatever...hopefully they know if their target is actually a powerful warrior or a high level anything...cause if so, they have a whole other problem... I might have a use activated silence cast on a rock to activate when dropped to the floor and pitch it out before I stabbed him. Then just snag the body and book it to a non warded area and either use a teleport effect, or expiditious retreat to get the hell out.

Is the spell actually called mind rape? If so, it's not in the SRD. Disguising one's self as a guard is a good idea. Silence is also good, albeit something of which I'd already thought. Expeditious retreat... Hmm, that might be good in some magical boots...

Dervag
2009-08-02, 06:25 PM
it takes a good check, but a decent thief can disarm a mystical trap like any other...just tends to be harder. rod of negation may be used, or scrolls of dispellation.

Another way is simply to bypass the wards if you know where they are and how they protect. Keep in mind that contrary to popular fiction, the classical 'ninja' stealing into a guarded location in the dead of night and slaying the target is more myth than fact. Yes it happened every now and then if their guard was low enough or out of necesity such as a fast time table, but more often than not assasins used deciet.Deceit? Yeah. The black-clad ninjas with the funny weapons were usually just a diversion, designed to get people chasing them. The really effective ninjas were the masters of "social engineering" (to borrow a hacker term).

The 'unseen' assasain was usually someone who worked their way quietly into a position to get close to the target...then when the time was right, they carried out the task...if they dissapeared, it was only because their cover was blown, otherwise, they kept cover and just went about their business.Yup. That worked for the original Middle Eastern order of Assassins, too, though they tended to be suicide knifers rather than worrying about staying in cover afterwards.

holywhippet
2009-08-02, 08:14 PM
If the target manages to scream, make listen checks for anyone nearby. Apply DCs based on the situation. For example if everything is completely quiet then anyone outside the room will have to pass a really low DC. If a loud storm is blowing outside increase the DC. If a loud party is occuring in the house, raise the DC. If the nearest person is on a different floor or several rooms away and the walls are all thick, raise the DC.

Consider various historical anti-intrusion measures. In Japan they used to have nightingale floors which made a distinct noise when stepped upon.

WeeFreeMen
2009-08-02, 08:46 PM
If you want to take a longer route, and the PC is being employed for this assassination.

The PC could be given a job entry of some sort at the targets location, giving him a few In-Game days to plot out a course of action. All you have to do is design the playing field with traps and surprises of all kinds. Slap some patrol's-men in and your done. Let the PC think of things while hes working, sometimes you even get better ideas from the PC's themselves.

"I could use that hallway as an escape route, but I don't know if its trapped or patrolled"

etc, etc.

As for some deterrence.
Glitterdust Trap's, Patrol Men, Hard DC Locks, or my favorite (and this is viable depending on how wealthy your target is) a on-going "Guards and Wards" spell. Its like the Alarm system of DnD, 5 star service :smalltongue: