PDA

View Full Version : A wizard balancing idea: bookcaster

Eldan
2009-08-02, 03:30 PM
The idea here is the following: wizards don't memorize most of their spells, instead casting them directly from their books, but with significantly increased casting time. I'm thinking of something like x5 or x10.
Now, this would make them near useless in combat, of course, especially at lower levels. So, perhaps give them the ability to prepare 1 or 2 spells ahead of time, as combat spells, and cast the rest from their books?

Thatguyoverther
2009-08-02, 03:33 PM
Since the spells are in the book and not memorized, would they have access to an unlimited number of spells per day?

Milskidasith
2009-08-02, 03:33 PM
So Wizards who can cast unlimited spells, but take longer than combat would normally last to even cast them?

They'd be useless except for pre combat buffing and in combat save or die, save or sucks, or "no save you just die/suck" spells. They'd probably still be really strong, but it depends on how many combat spells they get; if they only get one, total, they'd be really weak, but if they got 1-2 for low levels and 0-1 for high levels, they could still be pretty effective... they'd just rest a lot more.

Eldan
2009-08-02, 03:36 PM
Not unlimited spells, of course.

They get the same number of spells per day, but instead of preparing them, they read them from their books.

Now, as for number of combat spells: I'm thinking only a handful. And these should still be limited per day, otherwise, they just rest all the time.

Chrono22
2009-08-02, 03:44 PM
Why not just increase the amount of exp required to take a level in a full casting progression class as opposed to the warrior classes?

AstralFire
2009-08-02, 03:49 PM
I hate to repeat the mantra of the month, but it's not the class, it's the spells. Virtually no linear method of restriction manages to grab both 9th and 1st levle spells.

Lysander
2009-08-02, 03:59 PM
What about giving all spells a longer casting time except for certain "signature" spells that wizards would be able to choose from their spell list. Why does Gandalf only shoot fire in combat? It's his signature spell. Anything else requires time and concentration.

Thatguyoverther
2009-08-02, 04:07 PM
I agree with Lysander. If a wizard casts from a book, eventually the spell they like and use the most will come easier until eventually they could do it from memory.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-02, 05:32 PM
I hate to repeat the mantra of the month, but it's not the class, it's the spells. Virtually no linear method of restriction manages to grab both 9th and 1st levle spells.

Ayup. This guy can still just buff the crap out of himself before combat, polymorph into a war troll and still outshine any fighter type.