PDA

View Full Version : Soulknife as variant PsiWarrior

RS14
2009-08-02, 09:00 PM
Consider a Psychic Warrior that loses all bonus feats but gains all the mindblade abilities of the Soulknife. Balanced? Not?

I figure if it works, it's a dead simple fix for anyone who likes the flavor but not the crunch.

AstralFire
2009-08-02, 09:11 PM
It's simple... but yeah, it works. Not that I'm sure I'd take it.

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-02, 09:26 PM
You'd need to be a bit more specific. What qualify as Mindblade abilities? Obviously the Mind Blade ability. But what about psychic strike? Knife to the soul? Throwing? Multi-throwing? Bladewind? Shaping? Weapon Focus/Greater?

Gorgondantess
2009-08-02, 09:29 PM
You'd need to be a bit more specific. What qualify as Mindblade abilities? Obviously the Mind Blade ability. But what about psychic strike? Knife to the soul? Throwing? Multi-throwing? Bladewind? Shaping? Weapon Focus/Greater?

I think all of the above.

AstralFire
Weapon Focus/Greater probably doesn't count. The rest, I'd hope so.

RS14
Everything save Psychic Strike, Wild Talent, Speed of Thought, and Knife to the Soul.

Edit: I'm asking here for people's assessment of balance. Others seem to say that Psychic Strike should be included, so I'll go with that.

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-02, 10:39 PM
Everything save Psychic Strike, Wild Talent, Speed of Thought, and Knife to the Soul.

And thats why we ask.

I assumed Psychic Strike and Knife to the Soul were included.

Without them, it seems a bit weak. With them, I'd still rather have the bonus feats but either one is better than standard soulknife.

AstralFire
2009-08-02, 10:42 PM
Without Psychic Strike and Knife to the Soul, might as well not even bother if you take out all the feats.

I've done this fix before, I just don't like it because it focuses more on the mindblade and less on the knife to the soul, which is conceptually a cool class feature that needs exploring. Still, it's the best and easiest fix of some kind for that poor class.

Person_Man
2009-08-03, 08:57 AM
I think that taking a Psychic Warrior's feats and giving them all of the Soulknife's class abilities except for Wild Talent would be balanced. My only real concern would be Hustle, Vampiric Blade, and/or Expanded Knowledge abuse, but that's an issue for every Psychic Warrior build.

You know, I think there's a Soulknife homebrew at least once a week on this forum. Someone should make a compilation thread. Give me 5 minutes and I'll write something up...

Here you go (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6641362).