PDA

View Full Version : Getting Some Friends into DnD

Meed the Mystic
2009-08-02, 11:05 PM
I've been trying to get my friends into DnD for a while, and I wanted to know if anyone here had any suggestions or advice on the matter. One of them is interested, but the others aren't so enthusiastic about it. All of them are into MMO's, so I think they may like the game.

Please help, I don't want to force DnD on them, but I don't want the DnD core rule books a bought a year ago (3.5 edition) to be a waste. Plus, I think they would have fun. Some tips on getting them to try it out would be very much appreciated.

Lycan 01
2009-08-02, 11:16 PM
Unenthusiastic players are some of the worst to work with... :-/

You can go with the "Ork with a pie" intro. Help 'em make characters, and just start out with them in a room, standing near an Ork who has a pie. See where it goes from there. Its an easy way to see if they like the game...

I did the same trick for Star Wars Saga, only it was a Gammorrean with a pie. End result? A trashed bakery, two dead civilians, a trio of bullet riddled stormtroopers, and the revelation that Darth Vader likes pie. I have NO idea how all that happened, either. :smalleek:

I also taught some new Cthulhu players how to play via a "Ghoul with a pie" intro. That one had similar results... somebody snorted broken glass, another guy nearly broke his back, one dude got hit in the face with said pie after shooting the ghoul, and in the end two people somehow died. :smallconfused:

AstralFire
2009-08-02, 11:21 PM
That's rather cute. I'm going to have to remember that one.

Meed the Mystic
2009-08-03, 10:09 PM
Unenthusiastic players are some of the worst to work with... :-/

You can go with the "Ork with a pie" intro. Help 'em make characters, and just start out with them in a room, standing near an Ork who has a pie. See where it goes from there. Its an easy way to see if they like the game...

I did the same trick for Star Wars Saga, only it was a Gammorrean with a pie. End result? A trashed bakery, two dead civilians, a trio of bullet riddled stormtroopers, and the revelation that Darth Vader likes pie. I have NO idea how all that happened, either. :smalleek:

I also taught some new Cthulhu players how to play via a "Ghoul with a pie" intro. That one had similar results... somebody snorted broken glass, another guy nearly broke his back, one dude got hit in the face with said pie after shooting the ghoul, and in the end two people somehow died. :smallconfused:

I rather like this approach. I've just dug up my DnD books, and I even found all my dice. I don't have anything else though, so I'll have to print out some character sheets, and reread the rules as well. If there is anything else I should purchase (beside all the standard dice and the core books.) let me know. Anything under 30$ should be good (I'm not willing to spend much money on something I may not be using again.) I'll probably try to get a game started within a few days.

I think it won't be to hard to convince them to give it a try. We all play WoW, which is similar DnD, in a way.