PDA

View Full Version : The Diamond Mind [4e Feats + Paragon Path + Epic Destiny]

Alteran
2009-08-03, 12:56 AM
I know it's been a very long time since I've put up any homebrew material. In fact, it seems I haven't posted anything new here since February. :smalleek: Wow. That's about 5 months. Well, I'm back, with a bundle of goodies for the Psion, a class that I love that is also lacking support right now. I don't doubt that my balance-sense is a bit off after all this time, so PEACH away. I'm not completely satisfied with all of this (especially some of the fluff text), but this has been sitting around mostly completed for about a week and a half. I knew that if I didn't just get it posted, I would delay even more.

So, without any further delays, I present to you...

The Diamond Mind

http://fc09.deviantart.com/images/large/photography/photomisc/Burning_Soul.jpg

“Mind over matter” is an expression often heard among psions. The Diamond Mind is a philosophy that exemplifies the truth of this statement. Its practitioners see the mind as a higher expression of one’s physical self, and strive to perfect their minds so that they can overcome the difficulties of the physical world. Disciples of the Diamond Mind believe that the best way of injuring an enemy is to bypass their body, and strike directly at their mind. By attacking an opponent’s true self, one can ignore the mundane defenses of their flesh and bone. Similarly, Disciples use their superior command of psionic energies to protect their bodies from damage. They can conjure invisible protective fields, and sometimes demonstrate superhuman speed and agility. Through mastery of the mind, they can keep safe the physical bodies that might otherwise be liabilities.

There are no written tenets of the Diamond Mind, nor are there schools. It has been said that the ways of the Diamond Mind are not taught, they are learned. Although many Disciples have been instructed by masters of the ways, true mastery must always come from within. Teaching can only prepare a psion to accept the ways, it cannot grant mastery of them. Interestingly, many psions independently develop techniques startlingly similar to those of the Diamond Mind. Since all psions are gifted with superior mental acuity and control, the concept of mastering the physical world through the mental one is appealing to many. Indeed, one of the most salient traits of psions as a whole is the value of mind over body.

The ultimate goal of a Disciple of the Diamond Mind is to be truly free of a body, to be unbound from the physical world. Many Disciples spend hours in mediation, searching for answers inside of themselves. They believe that through meditation and refinement of psionic techniques, they can perfect their mind until it can exist freely outside of a body. There are none who can say definitively whether anybody has achieved this goal, but there are many stories. A high chance of failure is not enough to stop the truly determined, and many Disciples dedicate their lives to reaching this ascension, confident that it can and will happen. Whether or not they are right is something that every Disciple must discover for themselves.

Feats

Heroic Tier Feats

Persistent Soul [Diamond Mind]
Prerequisite: Psion
Benefit: When making a death saving throw, you can take the better of your roll or 10.

Psionic Agility [Diamond Mind]
Prerequisite: Psion, Dex 13
Benefit: When you are wearing cloth armour or no armour, you gain a +2 bonus to AC.

Psychic Intensity [Diamond Mind]
Prerequisite: Psion, Int 13, Cha 13
Benefit: You gain a +2 feat bonus to damage rolls when you use a power that has the psychic keyword.
At 11th level, this bonus increases to +3. At 21st level, it increases to +4.

Triumphant Shielding [Diamond Mind]
Benefit: When you score a critical hit, you gain a +3 bonus to all defenses until the end of your next turn.

Paragon Tier Feats

Channel Warding
Prerequisite: Psion, at least one heroic feat with the [Diamond Mind] descriptor
Benefit: You gain Channel Warding as a utility power. It replaces your level 10, 16, or 22 utility power.

Channel Warding – Diamond Mind Utility 10
Taking a moment to concentrate, you erect an invisible barrier around yourself. Although it can protect you from harm, it is thin and will shatter when struck.
At-Will * Psionic
Move Action – Personal
Effect: You gain a +1 power bonus to AC and Reflex against the next attack targeting these defenses made against you, if the attack is made before the start of your next turn.

Greater Psionic Agility [Diamond Mind]
Prerequisite: Psion, Psionic Agility
Benefit: When you are wearing cloth armour or no armour, you gain a +1 bonus to AC and Reflex.

Psionic Vitality [Diamond Mind]
Prerequisite: Psion, at least one heroic feat with the [Diamond Mind] descriptor.
Benefit: You gain extra HP equal to your Wisdom score or your Charisma score.

Psychic Penetration [Diamond Mind]
Prerequisite: Psion, at least one heroic feat with the [Diamond Mind] Descriptor
Benefit: Your psionic powers ignore up to 15 points of any target’s resistance to psychic damage.
Your psionic powers ignore up to 20 points of resistance to psychic damage at 21st level.

Epic Tier Feats

Diamond Soul [Diamond Mind]
Prerequisite: Psion, at least one heroic or paragon feat with the [Diamond Mind] descriptor
Benefit: When you roll a death saving throw, you automatically treat your roll as a natural 20.

Epic Psionic Agility [Diamond Mind]
Prerequisite: Psion, Greater Psionic Agility
Benefit: While you are wearing cloth armour or no armour, you gain a +2 bonus to AC and a +1 feat bonus to speed.

Forceful Parry [Diamond Mind]
Prerequisite: Psion, at least one heroic or paragon feat with the [Diamond Mind] descriptor.
Benefit: You gain Forceful Parry as a utility power. It replaces your level 22 utility power.

Forceful Parry – Diamond Mind Utility 22
You conjure a shield of force around your hand, and effortlessly parry an incoming attack. The strength of your counter sends your enemy tumbling to the ground.
Encounter * Psionic, Force
Immediate Interrupt – Melee Touch
Trigger: A creature within reach hits you with a melee attack.
Effect: The target takes a -6 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack misses, you knock the target prone, and they take 2d10 force damage.

Masterful Warding
Prerequisite: Psion, Channel Warding feat
Benefit: You can use Channel Warding as a minor action. It now replaces your level 16 utility power instead of your level 10 utility power.

Disciple of the Diamond Mind
My mind is sharper than any blade, and its armour tougher than any plate.

Prerequisites: Psion, at least one feat with the [Diamond Mind] descriptor.

Some followers of the Diamond Mind train only as a means of self-improvement, focusing their power inwards. You are not one of these people. Your mind is your greatest asset, both a deadly weapon and a formidable defense. Your mastery of the Diamond Mind impresses the most accomplished Psions, and you have focused your energies to achieve excellence in combat. Through deep mediation on the principles of the Diamond Mind, you have found within yourself the power to enact the feats that Disciples of the Diamond Mind have become famous for. Not only do your attacks pass through armour, your mental focus is so intense that you can penetrate whatever defenses your foe may use to shield his mind. Your physical shell is protected by invisible armour, and your mind is a veritable fortress. You can perform feats of self that most would consider impossible. You are destined to become a legend among Psions, and future generations will speak your name with caution and awe.

Disciple of the Diamond Mind Path Features

Diamond Mind Focus (11th level): Your psychic attacks treat each creature that has resistance to psychic damage as not having that resistance. In addition, your psychic attacks treat each creature that is immune to psychic damage as instead having resistance to psychic damage equal to one-half its level.

Paragon Power Points (11th level): You gain 2 additional power points.

Shielding Surge (11th level): When you spend an action point to take an extra action and use that action to use a power that has the psionic keyword, you gain a +2 bonus to all defenses until the end of your next turn. When you use the total defense action, the bonus to defenses is increased by 1.

Diamond Warding (16th level): When you hit with an augmented psionic power, you gain resist 5 to all damage until the end of your next turn. When you score a critical hit with an augmented psionic power, you gain resist 15 all until the end of your next turn.

Disciple of the Diamond Mind Powers

Sharp Thoughts – Disciple of the Diamond Mind Encounter 11
You focus your mind to a razor’s edge and deal your enemy grievous wounds.
Encounter * Augmentable, Implement, Psionic, Psychic
Standard Action – Range 10
Target: One creature
Attack: Intelligence vs. Will
Hit: 3d6 + Intelligence modifier psychic damage, and ongoing 5 psychic damage (save ends).
Augment 2
Hit: As above, but target any two creatures within range.

Moment of Perfect Mind – Disciple of the Diamond Mind Utility 12
You focus your psionic ability to gain a moment of perfect clarity.
Daily * Psionic
Free Action – Personal
Trigger: You make a d20 roll and dislike the result.
Effect: You can make a reroll with a +5 bonus. You must use the result of the reroll.

Inescapable Brand – Disciple of the Diamond Mind Daily 20
You place a rigid mark upon your foe’s mind, forcing it to obey your commands.
Daily * Psionic
Standard Action – Range 20
Effect: The target is dominated (save ends).

Diamond Mind Ascendant
A perfect mind is perfection – where flesh fails, a mind can endure.

Prerequisite: 21st level, Psion, at least two heroic or paragon feats with the [Diamond Mind] Descriptor

Your abilities surpass those of almost any psion. You have the combat prowess of the most dangerous Disciples of the Diamond Mind, having thoroughly mastered the basics of the philosophy. However, you have gone beyond perfecting your mind. You allow psionic energy to transform your body, and little by little you loosen your connection to the material world. As you progress in your learning, your mind manages to take over more functions of the body. With less of a physical self to impede the focus of your psionic ability, you grow steadily in power. Eventually, you may rival the power of the most legendary wielders of psionic power. Even though your might may reach unprecedented levels, your attention is elsewhere. You can feel the final transformation coming, the freedom from a body that every Disciple of the Diamond mind seeks. After the many years of meditation and training, the final triumph is within your grasp. When your mind finally grows in strength such that it can sustain itself indefinitely, you shed your body in an incredible display of psionic energy. Waves of psionic power flow over you, breaking apart the body that has served as an imperfect vessel for so long. You leave the transformation a changed being, a creature of pure energy. While you can temporarily manifest a physical body if you desire, you have little reason to do so. You have achieved the final apotheosis of the Diamond Mind, and ascended to the final state of your existence.

Immortality
Once you make your final ascension, you will no longer die like a mortal creature. While you can be killed, you will not die naturally. Once you have made the ascension, where you go is up to you. You might choose to continue adventuring, and make yourself known as one of the greatest heroes of all time. A path often taken is that of seclusion and consideration. Many see the ascension as the final goal, and after achieving it see no more reason to adventure. These people make use of their new form to gain a more complete understanding of the mind. Focusing their energy inwards, they can explore the intricacies of the mind in ways that no being of flesh and blood ever could. Those who have ascended to exist as beings of energy tend to slowly fade from the physical world. While they do not die, they no longer have ties to the world that once sustained them. Sometimes they fade until they are merely a faint, barely-present energy, quietly observing or absorbed in quiet meditation. Sometimes the ascended will find reason to show themselves again in the physical world, but such an event is extremely rare. Most are content to enjoy the perfection of mind they have achieved, lying eternally in quiet contemplation. Even though they may no longer be active in the world, their name serves as motivation for other Disciples of the Diamond Mind. As the story spreads of one more who has made the final ascension, more psions may be inspired to follow the road that you have taken.

Diamond Mind Ascendant Features

Manifest Reincarnation (21st level): Once per day when you die, your mind can manifest as a physical being. The manifestation detaches from your body and heals to your bloodied value. While in this manifestation, you gain the insubstantial quality. Furthermore, without your body impeding your psionic ability, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls with psionic powers.

At the end of the encounter, the manifestation returns to your body, restoring it to life at your bloodied value. If your body is not present, the manifestation creates a new body. Your existing corpse then disappears, but your items remain where they are. The new body does not have any items that are not a permanent part of it (such as a tattoo).

Diamond Mind Advancement (24th level): You gain any one feat with the [Diamond Mind] descriptor.

Psionic Ascension (30th level): You achieve the apotheosis that every disciple of the Diamond Mind seeks. Your mind subsumes and sheds your physical body, and you exist as a being of pure psionic energy. You can choose to manifest in a physical body if you desire. You cannot remain in physical form for longer than one day at a time, and for each minute you spend in physical form you must spend a minute in energy form before you can manifest a physical body again. It is a standard action to change forms.

While in energy form, you gain a fly speed equal to your speed. You also gain the insubstantial and phasing qualities. As a being of pure psionic energy, you are naturally attuned to psionic power. Enemies take a -4 penalty to saving throws against conditions imposed by your psionic powers.

You are also unable to physically interact with objects that were not on your person when you manifested as your energy form, including living beings. You are unable to do things like picking up objects, or physically striking a foe. However, your psionic powers can still affect any objects or beings normally.

Diamond Mind Ascendant Power

Psionic Empowerment – Diamond Mind Ascendant Utility 26
You sacrifice physical vitality to temporarily give your mind incredible strength and focus.
Daily * Psionic
Minor Action – Personal
Effect: You spend a healing surge, but do not regain any hit points. If you have no healing surges remaining, you instead take damage equal to your half your bloodied value. The first time you use a single-target psionic power before the end of the encounter, it automatically counts as a critical hit.

I plan to make a few more feats in the future, especially heroic and paragon feats. I am a little concerned that the miscellaneous bonuses to defenses could build up too high, so please tell me if you agree. I don't have many things in specific I'm worried about, but I'm definitely unsure if this is ready to play as-is. Whether or not it's completely done, I hope you enjoyed looking at this!

I also don't like how often the word "psionic" came up, but I guess it makes sense. Oh well. :smallsigh:

I also have another...what shall I call it..."supplement"? Well, I have another one of these for the Psion in the works, but I can tell you that it's nowhere near completion. If you're curious, the overall name is "Blazing Soul". Make of it what you will, but don't expect to see it too soon.

Gralamin
2009-08-03, 01:05 AM
Looks pretty good, overall. I'm too tired to offer much feedback, but I'll take a look in the morning.

Something that notably springs to mind is the restrictiveness of some of your utility replacing powers. I get that its so you can upgrade the slot, but its also seems strange that I can't replace a level 16 utility for Channel Warding instead of my 10th if I so choose.

Alteran
2009-08-03, 01:19 AM
I see what you mean. That's a fair change to make, and I shall do so.

Gralamin
2009-08-03, 01:28 PM
Persistent Soul [Diamond Mind]
Benefit: When making a death saving throw, you can take the better of your roll or 10.
Stealing a Racial trait with just a single feat is something I'd try to avoid doing, but this shouldn't be very broken.

Psionic Agility [Diamond Mind]
Prerequisite: Psion, Dex 13
Benefit: When you are wearing cloth armour or no armour, you gain a +2 bonus to AC.
A small AC boost is fine.

Psychic Intensity [Diamond Mind]
Prerequisite: Psion, Int 13, Cha 13
Benefit: You gain a +2 feat bonus to damage rolls when you use a power that has the psychic keyword.
At 11th level, this bonus increases to +3. At 21st level, it increases to +4.
So, All attacks get a large bonus. Not bad.

Triumphant Shielding [Diamond Mind]
Benefit: When you score a critical hit, you gain a +3 bonus to all defenses until the end of your next turn.
Fair enough

Paragon Tier Feats

Channel Warding
Prerequisite: Psion, at least one heroic feat with the [Diamond Mind] descriptor
Benefit: You gain Channel Warding as a utility power. It replaces your level 10, 16, or 22 utility power.

Channel Warding – Diamond Mind Utility 10
Taking a moment to concentrate, you erect an invisible barrier around yourself. Although it can protect you from harm, it is thin and will shatter when struck.
At-Will * Psionic
Move Action – Personal
Effect: You gain a +1 power bonus to AC and Reflex against the next attack targeting these defenses made against you, if the attack is made before the start of your next turn.
On its own merits, I don't think I'd ever take Channel Warding as it is, Especially since a Wizard utility 2 is better then it. At-will is nice, but constantly giving up your move action can suck.

Greater Psionic Agility [Diamond Mind]
Prerequisite: Psion, Psionic Agility
Benefit: When you are wearing cloth armour or no armour, you gain a +1 bonus to AC and Reflex.
I'd recommend no paragon or epic versions of this feat. Psions are not one of the roles thats supposed to be heavily armored. Thats just my opinion though.

Psionic Vitality [Diamond Mind]
Prerequisite: Psion, at least one heroic feat with the [Diamond Mind] descriptor.
Benefit: You gain extra HP equal to your Wisdom score or your Charisma score.
I gain +Wis, or +Cha HP for free? This is likely broken.

Psychic Penetration [Diamond Mind]
Prerequisite: Psion, at least one heroic feat with the [Diamond Mind] Descriptor
Benefit: Your psionic powers ignore up to 15 points of any target’s resistance to psychic damage.
Your psionic powers ignore up to 20 points of resistance to psychic damage at 21st level.
I don't think there is anything with that much psychic resistance, but alright.

Epic Tier Feats

Diamond Soul [Diamond Mind]
Prerequisite: Psion, at least one heroic or paragon feat with the [Diamond Mind] descriptor
Benefit: When you roll a death saving throw, you automatically treat your roll as a natural 20.
This is defiantly broken, as its stronger then some Epic destiny features.

Epic Psionic Agility [Diamond Mind]
Prerequisite: Psion, Greater Psionic Agility
Benefit: While you are wearing cloth armour or no armour, you gain a +2 bonus to AC and a +1 feat bonus to speed.
See above comment for paragon one.

Forceful Parry [Diamond Mind]
Prerequisite: Psion, at least one heroic or paragon feat with the [Diamond Mind] descriptor.
Benefit: You gain Forceful Parry as a utility power. It replaces your level 22 utility power.

Forceful Parry – Diamond Mind Utility 22
You conjure a shield of force around your hand, and effortlessly parry an incoming attack. The strength of your counter sends your enemy tumbling to the ground.
Encounter * Psionic, Force
Immediate Interrupt – Melee Touch
Trigger: A creature within reach hits you with a melee attack.
Effect: The target takes a -6 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack misses, you knock the target prone, and they take 2d10 force damage.
This is a pretty nice power, only its not an Utility, its an attack :smalltongue:.

Masterful Warding
Prerequisite: Psion, Channel Warding feat
Benefit: You can use Channel Warding as a minor action. It now replaces your level 16 utility power instead of your level 10 utility power.
I'd probably still not take it.

Disciple of the Diamond Mind
<snip>

Disciple of the Diamond Mind Path Features

Diamond Mind Focus (11th level): Your psychic attacks treat each creature that has resistance to psychic damage as not having that resistance. In addition, your psychic attacks treat each creature that is immune to psychic damage as instead having resistance to psychic damage equal to one-half its level.
Fair enough of an ability.

Paragon Power Points (11th level): You gain 2 additional power points.
Nice and standard.

Shielding Surge (11th level): When you spend an action point to take an extra action and use that action to use a power that has the psionic keyword, you gain a +2 bonus to all defenses until the end of your next turn. When you use the total defense action, the bonus to defenses is increased by 1.
Why not just say "When you spend an action point to use a psionic power, you gain a +2 bonus to all defenses..."
Also, Its not clear whether the total defense action increase applies to it, or this ability. May want to add in a clarifier.

Diamond Warding (16th level): When you hit with an augmented psionic power, you gain resist 5 to all damage until the end of your next turn. When you score a critical hit with an augmented psionic power, you gain resist 15 all until the end of your next turn.
Fair enough

Disciple of the Diamond Mind Powers

Sharp Thoughts – Disciple of the Diamond Mind Encounter 11
You focus your mind to a razor’s edge and deal your enemy grievous wounds.
Encounter * Augmentable, Implement, Psionic, Psychic
Standard Action – Range 10
Hit: 3d6 + Intelligence modifier psychic damage, and ongoing 5 psychic damage (save ends).
Augment 2
Hit: As above, but target any two creatures within range.
Pretty good.

Moment of Perfect Mind – Disciple of the Diamond Mind Utility 12
You focus your psionic ability to gain a moment of perfect clarity.
Daily * Psionic
Free Action – Personal
Trigger: You make a d20 roll and dislike the result.
Effect: You can make a reroll with a +5 bonus. You must use the result of the reroll.
Good for a daily.

Inescapable Brand – Disciple of the Diamond Mind Daily 20
You place a rigid mark upon your foe’s mind, forcing it to obey your commands.
Daily * Psionic
Standard Action – Range 20
Effect: The target is dominated (save ends).
Ouch, but within power.

Diamond Mind Ascendant
<snip>

Diamond Mind Ascendant Features

Manifest Reincarnation (21st level): Once per day when you die, your mind can manifest as a physical being. The manifestation detaches from your body and heals to your bloodied value. While in this manifestation, you gain the insubstantial quality. Furthermore, without your body impeding your psionic ability, you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls with psionic powers.

At the end of the encounter, the manifestation returns to your body, restoring it to life at your bloodied value. If your body is not present, the manifestation creates a new body. Your existing corpse then disappears, but your items remain where they are. The new body does not have any items that are not a permanent part of it (such as a tattoo).
Pretty good.

Diamond Mind Advancement (24th level): You gain any one feat with the [Diamond Mind] descriptor.
Eh. Pretty weak.

Psionic Ascension (30th level): You achieve the apotheosis that every disciple of the Diamond Mind seeks. Your mind subsumes and sheds your physical body, and you exist as a being of pure psionic energy. You can choose to manifest in a physical body if you desire. You cannot remain in physical form for longer than one day at a time, and for each minute you spend in physical form you must spend a minute in energy form before you can manifest a physical body again. It is a standard action to change forms.

While in energy form, you gain a fly speed equal to your speed. You also gain the insubstantial and phasing qualities. As a being of pure psionic energy, you are naturally attuned to psionic power. Enemies take a -4 penalty to saving throws against conditions imposed by your psionic powers.

You are also unable to physically interact with objects that were not on your person when you manifested as your energy form, including living beings. You are unable to do things like picking up objects, or physically striking a foe. However, your psionic powers can still affect any objects or beings normally.

How does this interact with your level 21 power? Do you become weaker (No longer have Phasing or the fly speed, or the -4 penalty to Saving throws) when you die and regain your body? Why is it that when your freed due to death you have a bonus to hit, but not when you shed it willingly?

Power level, this ability seems a bit pushing it, but still within reason.

Diamond Mind Ascendant Power

Psionic Empowerment – Diamond Mind Ascendant Utility 26
You sacrifice physical vitality to temporarily give your mind incredible strength and focus.
Daily * Psionic
Minor Action – Personal
Effect: You spend a healing surge, but do not regain any hit points. If you have no healing surges remaining, you instead take damage equal to your half your bloodied value. The first time you use a single-target psionic power before the end of the encounter, it automatically counts as a critical hit.

So level 26 ability is a worse version of the original Righteous Rage of the Tempus. Looks good to me.

Looks good overall. I won't address fluff because A) I'm lazy, and B) Thats subjective.

Alteran
2009-08-03, 01:55 PM
Stealing a Racial trait with just a single feat is something I'd try to avoid doing, but this shouldn't be very broken.

Perhaps. I'll see about changing this, but preserving the basic effect.

On its own merits, I don't think I'd ever take Channel Warding as it is, Especially since a Wizard utility 2 is better then it. At-will is nice, but constantly giving up your move action can suck.

Perhaps it deserves a +2 bonus instead. I was mainly worried about it being a near-constant bonus with a class that gets a lot of ranged attacks.

I'd recommend no paragon or epic versions of this feat. Psions are not one of the roles thats supposed to be heavily armored. Thats just my opinion though.

I know they're not supposed to in general, but that's one of the main aims of this...thing. One of the goals of the Diamond Mind is to protect the body through the power of the mind.

I gain +Wis, or +Cha HP for free? This is likely broken.

I suspected as much, I was hoping that the prerequisites would be enough. Maybe not.

I don't think there is anything with that much psychic resistance, but alright.

I just checked, and I am astounded to say that neither Aboleths nor Mind Flayers have resistance to psychic damage. Maybe Purple Dragons do? I imagined there would be more. I'll still leave it, maybe there will be more such creatures in the future.

This is defiantly broken, as its stronger then some Epic destiny features.

Fair enough.

This is a pretty nice power, only its not an Utility, its an attack :smalltongue:.

It...huh. It sort of is. Maybe it'll replace the 23 encounter power.

I'd probably still not take it.

Really? A free minor action boost to defenses? The this point, the only downside is the fact that it's a relatively common power bonus. Well, and it takes two feats. I'll consider increasing the bonus to +2.

Why not just say "When you spend an action point to use a psionic power, you gain a +2 bonus to all defenses..."
Also, Its not clear whether the total defense action increase applies to it, or this ability. May want to add in a clarifier.

Yeah, that could be phrased better.

Eh. Pretty weak.

I know, I'm thinking of a replacement. It felt like a cop-out to me.

How does this interact with your level 21 power? Do you become weaker (No longer have Phasing or the fly speed, or the -4 penalty to Saving throws) when you die and regain your body? Why is it that when your freed due to death you have a bonus to hit, but not when you shed it willingly?

Power level, this ability seems a bit pushing it, but still within reason.

I'll have to think about this. Honestly, why do you not get the +1? Balance. I also thought it was pushing it, but maybe I'll just replace the penalty to saving throws.

So level 26 ability is a worse version of the original Righteous Rage of the Tempus. Looks good to me.

Well, worse in the sense that it burns a surge, better in the sense that it's also an automatic hit. Although on the negative side again, it is a daily. And level 26. But in the end, the effect is more powerful.

Looks good overall. I won't address fluff because A) I'm lazy, and B) Thats subjective.

Fair enough. Thanks for the evaluation, I'm glad you liked it overall. :smallsmile:

Limos
2009-08-03, 02:38 PM
Your Inescapable Brand power does exactly the same thing as a Level 29 Psion power. I can't seem to get the compendium working right now give me a second to dig up the dragon mag. Oh except it requires an attack roll, you don't just automatically dominate them.

Soul Break

You sear your foe with an ebony ray of psychic compulsion, giving it the choice to remain under your domination or pay a terrible price.

Daily Charm, Implement, Psionic, Psychic
Standard Action Ranged 20

Hit: The target is dominated (save ends).

Aftereffect: The target chooses either to be stunned until the end of its next turn or to take 3d10 + your Intelligence modifier psychic damage.

Miss: 2d10 + Intelligence modifier psychic damage, and the target is dazed (save ends).

First published in Player's Handbook 3.

Alteran
2009-08-03, 05:57 PM
Soul Break seems like a not-great power to me. I was comparing this to the level 15 Psion daily, Dominate. That requires an attack roll, but it is a lower-level power and has an aftereffect. It may still have an effect on a miss as well, I'm not quite sure about that.