PDA

View Full Version : Wildshape choices before level 8

Zergrusheddie
2009-08-03, 02:05 AM
At level 8, Dire Lions and Polar Bears become available and Wild Shape really starts to kick ass. At level 7, I am kind of stuck using a Baboon with Spikes. While it is doing more damage than the Fighter, my friend said that it was not as effective as possible. What animal should I be turned into?

Currently, I do 1d6+11 Staff and 1d6+4 Bite.

Best of luck
-Eddie

Myrmex
2009-08-03, 02:36 AM
What books do you have access to?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-08-03, 02:55 AM
The Fleshraker dinosaur in MM3 is amazing. Otherwise refer to this post (http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=10552975&postcount=2) from this guide (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=733400) for advice on Wild Shaping and building/playing a Druid in general.

Zergrusheddie
2009-08-03, 03:55 AM
What books do you have access to?

*hits self with stick*

Any book is allowed at GM's discretion except for Dinosaurs, so no Mr. Fleshraker.

Fizban
2009-08-03, 08:54 AM
What's wrong with normal Brown Bears and Lions/Tigers? Polar bears only have a few more points than Brown Bears, their real use is having two extra hit dice for the same CR, but that only helps the DM. Aside from having everyone go in as polar bears! (giant cookie for anyone who gets the reference).

Get out your Spell Compendium and look up the 4th level spell Enhance Wild Shape. Cast it before shaping, enjoy the pounce/improved grab/rake/poison/scent/whatever abilities you'd actually want to turn into an animal for that you didn't get from plain wild shape. Really, the only choice is what's better: a freaking bear, a freaking lion, a freaking tiger, or a freaking velociraptor.

RS14
2009-08-03, 09:23 AM
Get out your Spell Compendium and look up the 4th level spell Enhance Wild Shape. Cast it before shaping, enjoy the pounce/improved grab/rake/poison/scent/whatever abilities you'd actually want to turn into an animal for that you didn't get from plain wild shape. Really, the only choice is what's better: a freaking bear, a freaking lion, a freaking tiger, or a freaking velociraptor.

That sounds stupidly broken. I suppose no more than polymorph, but still...:smallsigh:

PumpkinJack
2009-08-03, 10:47 AM
As far as medium animals go, the crocodile isn't too bad. With a full attack you get: Bite +6 melee (1d8+6) or tail slap +6 melee (1d12+6). Plus you get Improved Grab.

The leopard is great if you can charge an opponent and to use Pounce and Improved Grab. Their full attack is: Bite +6 melee (1d6+3) and 2 claws +1 melee (1d3+1). Plus they get some great racial skill modifiers.

If you're just concerned with doing damage, you'll probably do better with staying as an eagle and casting spells through the Natural Spell feat while you fly out of opponents' range. Besides damage, I think it's worth checking out the racial skill bonuses you can get through different forms. For instance, my druid used an octopus form for a racial bonus of +10 to Escape Artist in order to squeeze through a small hole in the wall to get past a locked door.

My DM had ruled that druids can only wildshape into forms they were familiar with, which limited the pool of choices for large animals but I got him to house-rule that a moose would use the stats of a rhinoceros based on the following description line: "These statistics can describe any herbivore of similar size and similar natural weapons (antlers, horns, tusks, or the like)." Getting 2d6+12 of damage on a gore and 4d6+24 damage on a charge isn't all that bad. Plus you're a moose!

Eldariel
2009-08-03, 11:05 AM

I'd like to point out that Wildshape specifically gives all special attacks so out of that list, only "Scent" and "Whatever" would be missed by standard Wildshape. The true purpose of Enhance Wildshape is to pick up stuff like Regeneration, Fast Healing, Damage Reduction, Blindsight, Bonus Feats, et cetera.

Also, Large Wildshape is gained on level 8 hence why people don't take Brown Bear until then :smallsmile:

Anyways, uhh, for just brawling, Leopard is the best option on those levels IIRC. Other notables are Desmodu Hunting Bat [MM2] for flight and high AC with decent attacks, and Crocodile has some grappling capabilities (albeit not amazing ones). Yeah, Baboon fighting with weapons isn't a horrible option on these levels.

Unfortunately most of the good forms are indeed Large or Dinosaur at this point making the selection pretty poor (especially since many "medium" animals are "Large, Long" such as Tigers, Lions and company). You'll actually be better in water since a buffed Squid is pretty frightening due to the number of attacks.

Forbiddenwar
2009-08-03, 12:47 PM
My DM had ruled that druids can only wildshape into forms they were familiar with!

These is not a DM rule but a RAW rule.

RS14
2009-08-03, 01:28 PM
The interpretation of 'familiar', however, is left up to the DM. Some enforce that clause in a manner that heavily restricts known forms. Others let you virtually ignore it.

Iamyourking
2009-08-03, 02:57 PM
Aside from having everyone go in as polar bears! (giant cookie for anyone who gets the reference).

Animorphs #37 right?

Fizban
2009-08-03, 06:45 PM
I'd like to point out that Wildshape specifically gives all special attacks so out of that list, only "Scent" and "Whatever" would be missed by standard Wildshape. The true purpose of Enhance Wildshape is to pick up stuff like Regeneration, Fast Healing, Damage Reduction, Blindsight, Bonus Feats, et cetera.

Also, Large Wildshape is gained on level 8 hence why people don't take Brown Bear until then :smallsmile:

*Facepalm* Right, nothing to see here, just someone who obviously doesn't play druid ever. In that case yeah, leapord is great. The errata changed the Deinonychus from large to medium size (check d20srd.org), so it's valid too.

Animorphs #37 right?
I was looking for character and series, but that's good enough. Your cookie is in the mail.

Iamyourking
2009-08-03, 07:42 PM
Fine, Rachael right before storming the building and getting everyone clobbered by a giant blubber monster. How's that?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-03, 08:29 PM
The interpretation of 'familiar', however, is left up to the DM. Some enforce that clause in a manner that heavily restricts known forms. Others let you virtually ignore it.Summon Nature's Ally and Know:Nature. Between the 2 you should be familiar with just about every viable Wildshape choice.

Fizban
2009-08-04, 02:34 AM
Fine, Rachael right before storming the building and getting everyone clobbered by a giant blubber monster. How's that?

Bad word choice, I should have said more specific than I expected. You picked out the exact book number when I figured most people would have trouble remembering the situation. You have exceeded expectations. Your cookie will now be shipped first class so hopefully it doesn't get squashed on the way.