PDA

View Full Version : Need help with encounter design

gnomas
2009-08-03, 06:21 AM
So the end of the summer and the first session of my campaign since a month ago is looming ever nearer, EEP!
(feel free to skip to the last paragraph btw, the rest is rambling)

in the last session the Dwarven king the PCs are working for presented the party with three leads, and they chose one.

They'll be venturing into an ancient temple that has sundenly appeared at the edge of the desert they are in.
You can read the lead up to the encounter if you want butit isn't necessary.
I have a rough outline in my head...long entrance hall ends in a central chamber, doors lead off to the side into large burial chambers filled with musty runic tablets. running through the center of the pyramid is a ceiling high wall with a giant statue of a jackal headed man inlaid into into it. there is a door at his feet. the only way to open the door is to hold down a lever, which also activates a rolling ball trap from the statues mouth (extending a ball track in the process) the lever holder gets left outside (if they aren't squished), and will have to walk up the ball track to get through. the PCs will now be in a church like room where they will see black roped figures performing a ritual. the figures see them and retreat into a passage, collapsing it behind them. the PCs find a trap door that leads them underground, but with another chamber between themselves and the cultists. this is where the encounter takes place.

I know i want the characters to fight a party of evil spirits taking the forms of shadowy duplicates to the PCs. in fact, i already had a thread on this but i now realise i still haven't decided on the approach i want to take.

So here are some of the suggested options:
-shadow creature (or some such) template
-they fight exact copies of themselves
-they fight similar characters with different builds/styles
-they have to alter their own styles to defeat the challenge
-fight 1v1 in dream world first
-entire thing in dream world?

how much more powerful than the PCs can i make the duplicates? does each enemy force the PC to change their tactics or simply force them to team up on each duplicate one by one?

the party: blaster sorcerer (fire speciality, has a level adjustment +1)
rogue with LA +1 (new guy)
dragon shaman (will be new character, havn't seen yet)
dragonfire adept (lotsa HP, flies around invisible with breath weapon)
cleric (mostly buffing and healing)
fighter (greataxe)
all will be ecl 8

((this has helped me collect my thoughts so i have some ideas now, but i still need suggestions and comments))

sorry for making you read all that:smalleek:, ill shut up now:smalltongue:

Kaiyanwang
2009-08-03, 06:41 AM
Well, consider this: if you throw at them 6 NPC of level 8, it's more or less a CR 14 encounter, without the shadow template.

Now, most NPC tendo to explode if focused, more of most monster of the same CR, IMHO.

So, first and foremost, be sure that PC are full of resources, and maybe that are there special rules helping them (the 1vs1 can be good if well managed, but can be very dangerous).

Johel
2009-08-03, 07:49 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/simulacrum.htm

The copies will only have half of the original's HD, though.
various buffs (Stoneskin, Haste, Displacement, Greater Heroism, Bear+Cat+Bull, Protection from Energy) can stack together to give the ILLUSION of a high-level opponent.

So, that's 6 NPC of level 4 with :

damage reduction 10 (150 pts max)
+1 speed bonus to attacks
+1 dodge bonus to AC
+1 speed bonus to Reflex saves
50% miss chance
+4 moral bonus to attacks
+4 moral bonus to saves
+4 Str
+4 Dex
+4 Con
energy resistance 12 (120 pts max)

If you see it's too hard for the PCs, drop the buffs one after another.

gnomas
2009-08-03, 08:15 AM
I like the idea of being able to decrease the power level as the fight goes on..hmm

How about this: 1v1 dream fights against superior opponents, which they lose. have each fight provide a clue to the weakness of one of the other shadows. after the fights, they have a short amount of time to switch places with each other to take advantage of the weaknesses...now i need a way to do these clues...:smallannoyed:

Melamoto
2009-08-03, 08:20 AM
Wouldn't make perfect sense to exist there, but it's possible: An Ice Assassin trap that copies everyone; altered to not have the explosion effect, or make it only 1d6 damage (The fight will hurt too much for serious after damage from all enemies).
Keep in mind that you will have to make sure they are at their full power. A battle with themselves should be the equivalent of 5 battles, in the sense that it should put them in serious risk of death. Don't play them too powerful, but try to play them the parties weaknesses. However, don't attack their weaknesses THAT hard, otherwise they're doomed. Just make them realise what you're doing, and see if they can cover those weaknesses up themselves. Otherwise, play it even.

Johel
2009-08-03, 09:20 AM
Blaster Sorcerer : Fire, fire, fire... Protection from energy and good Reflex saves will make him cry... until he try spells with another energy and a touch attack. If he has none, he can still try using a range weapon. Melee is suicide against the shadow because it has a higher BAB than the sorcerer. Also, damage reduction means magic remain the key.Do not buff this one with Haste (no fast move, lower dodge bonus, no "rain of blows" full attack.)

Rogue : Very though fight. The damage reduction make the sneak attack nearly useless and it's difficult to use them anyway because of Greater Heroïsm. However high the defenses of the shadow are, it has low HP and make low damages. So, by playing defensive (for a rogue ?!!), the rogue can maybe survive in the long run.
Do not buff this one with Bear+Cat+Bull (no bonus HP, AC and damages)

Dragon Shaman : don't know the class.

Dragonfire Adept : don't know the class.

Cleric : he used most of his spells to buff himself while his shadow-self has still all his spellslots ready. The shadow's weakness should be melee, therefore. Do not buff this one with Stoneskin (no damage reduction).

Fighter : he's a "Power Attack + Great Axe + Cleave" adept, right ? Well, let him try to wound the shadow with that. With the Blur and Haste, this thing is basically impossible to touch. And if Fighter does touch it, the Stoneskin will reduce it to nothing. Use Feint can reduce the dodge bonus, though. Do not buff this one with Greater Heroism (no moral bonus to skill checks).

Kaiyanwang
2009-08-03, 09:29 AM
Dragonfire adept could be "shadowed" by a Warlock..

The Anti-Fighter could be one with combat reflexes standstill hold the line and reach weapon..

gnomas
2009-08-03, 09:44 AM
So i've officially decided to do the 1v1 dream fights first (that way the PCs can't actually die). I like idea of lower level characters with buffs on them to make only one strategy work against them. I'm thinkin' that they'll lose the first time around, but if they're smart they will then swap with someone else who can use the proper strategy...this means i have to make sure all the weaknesses and strengths fall into place..

Can't seem to remember what book ice assassin is in.

Thanks for all the ideas so far!