PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Races of the Archipelago (PEACH)

levi
2009-08-03, 09:07 AM
So here's the player races for my personal campaign setting, stripped down to just the mechanics. Some notes, these are the only PC races. The setting is neolithic and surviving day to day can be a struggle. I haven't worked out the favored classes yet, but each race will have more than one. Suggestions are welcome, but they may not fit with my fluff. Feel free to ignore the languages stuff, it's more flavor, but technically a mechanic.

Humans have split culturally into two groups, the land people, and the sea people. Mechnically all this effects is languages and favored classes.

Elves have been modified in the weapons department.

Lizardfolk have three racial hit dice, but no level adjustment. There's also a monster class for them, but I want to get the basic mechanics down first. I think they need a wider range of class skills (I added survival) and am open to suggestions.

Smallfolk are supposed to be kobolds that don't suck. The light sensitivty is included with the caveat that it's easy to negate the penalty with easily aquired equiment. (Most NPCs don't bother, but PCs can they can adventure with other races.) The RAW kobold ought to have a -1 Level Adjustment (yes, negative) and I'm trying to fix that. I think they might still be too weak.

I'm looking for feedback on balance and templating. It's mostly straight SRD as far as the wordings go, but some errors could have creapt in.

Humans

Medium: As Medium creatures, humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Human base land speed is 30 feet.
1 extra feat at 1st level.
4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.

Land People

Automatic Language: Land People. Bonus Languages: Diplomatic Elven, Lizardfolk, Sea People, Smallfolk, Trade Sign.
Favored Class: ...

Sea People

Automatic Language: Sea People. Bonus Languages: Diplomatic Elven, Land People, Lizardfolk, Smallfolk, Trade Sign, Mer.

Elves

+2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution.
Medium: As Medium creatures, elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Elf base land speed is 30 feet.
Immunity to magic sleep effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
Low-Light Vision: An elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Weapon Proficiency: Elves receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the longbow and shortbow as bonus feats.
Weapon Familarity: Elves may treat blowguns as as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons.
+2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. An elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if he were actively looking for it.
Automatic Languages: Diplomatic Elven and one House Elven dialect. Bonus Languages: Any House Elven dialect, Land People, Lizardfolk, Smallfolk, Trade Sign.

Lizardfolk

+2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence.
Medium size.
A lizardfolk’s base land speed is 30 feet.
Racial Hit Dice: A lizardfolk begins with three levels of humanoid, which provide 3d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +2, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +4, and Will +1.
Racial Skills: A lizardfolk’s humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 6 × (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Balance, Jump, and Survival, and Swim. Lizardfolk have a +4 racial bonus on Balance, Jump, and Swim checks.
Racial Feats: A lizardfolk’s humanoid levels give it two feats.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A lizardfolk is automatically proficient with simple weapons and shields.
+5 natural armor bonus.
Natural Weapons: 2 claws (1d4) and bite (1d4).
Special Qualities: Hold Breath: A lizardfolk can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to four times its Constitution score before it risks drowning.
Automatic Language: Lizardfolk. Bonus Languages: Diplomatic Elven, Land People, Sea People, Smallfolk, Trade Sign, Precursor, Mer.

Smallfolk

+2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution.
Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
A smallfolk’s base land speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Racial Skills: A smallfolk character has a +2 racial bonus on Craft (trapmaking), Search, and Survival checks.
+2 natural armor bonus.
Special Qualities: Light Sensitivity: Smallfolk are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a *daylight* spell.
Automatic Language: Smallfolk. Bonus Languages: Diplomatic Elven, Draconic, Land People, Lizardfolk, Trade Sign, Precursor.