PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Favoured Soul Spell Choices

EarthTremor
2009-08-03, 11:14 AM
Hi folks. I'm building a cohort for my main character and i'm going favoured soul for party support - yes, i know cleric/druid/archivist are all better classes, but i'm taking favoured soul for ease of use, not power. What i want is develop a spell theme, just a few spells that would help identify her as a priest of her faith, so i'd like suggestions, maybe one spell per level at most.

She follows the Asgardian pantheon (Freya, to be precise, the D&D version is in Deities and Demigods). She is 14th level currently.

EarthTremor
2009-08-03, 11:23 AM
gah, forgot to list my sources... Player's Handbook, Spell Compendium, Complete Warrior/Divine/Arcane/Adventurer/Scoundrel/Mage, Races of Stone/Dragon/Eberron, Dragon Magic, Stormwrack, Book of Exalted Deeds (prefer to avoid this one though as it is not strictly 3.5). Will try and borrow or buy a copy of Frostfell before next game as well.

Thorin
2009-08-03, 11:30 AM
Please add the party members you have, so we avoid redundancy

EarthTremor
2009-08-03, 11:47 AM
of course... Barbarian, Paladin, Cleric, Rogue/Evoker, Ranger/Rogue/Fighter. The DM enjoys hurling ridicuous amounts of damage at us though so even with the pally and cleric more heals/buffs will be needed.

Thorin
2009-08-03, 12:52 PM
Well...

All the Vigor branch comes to mind. They are of course useless during combat, but are optimal for healing out of it. Close wounds is a life saver couse it can be cast as an immediate action. Those are all form spell Compendium I belive.

The mass versions of spells (mass resistance of course, and mass CW if you pick the feats to improve your heling abilities). Circle of protection from X is allways handy. Remove X so you allow your party members to continue doing their thing...

I`ll add some more later

Fixer
2009-08-03, 01:21 PM
For offense there was a spell called "Darkfire" in the Spell Compendium that my wife rather liked. You cast it and for 1 round/level you can throw balls of fire around. 1d6/2 caster levels fire damage (max 5d6).

You can cast it and use it as a ranged or melee attack, which is better than most other cleric spells of that level.

Another_Poet
2009-08-03, 01:53 PM
For offense there was a spell called "Darkfire" in the Spell Compendium that my wife rather liked. You cast it and for 1 round/level you can throw balls of fire around. 1d6/2 caster levels fire damage (max 5d6).

You can cast it and use it as a ranged or melee attack, which is better than most other cleric spells of that level.

Assuming there is a level cap on that damage, it sounds similar yet inferior to Produce Flame. Of course most clerics can't get Produce Flame, but still.

Toliudar
2009-08-03, 02:07 PM
It's better than Produce Flame (which is appropriate, given that it's a third level spell). It's a low-paperwork offensive spell, doesn't show up at night, and seems a very good basic offense.

Freya's the one with the apples, right? Maybe your DM would allow a reflavoured version of Fire Seeds?

Summons, walls, buffing - all good support-character work too.

EarthTremor
2009-08-03, 08:58 PM
Apples? I'm not sure.

From Wikipedia:

In the Eddas, Freyja is portrayed as a goddess of love, beauty, and fertility... ...Freyja is described as the fairest of all goddesses, and people prayed to her for happiness in love. She was also called on to assist childbirths and prayed to for good seasons.

Freyja was also associated with war, battle, death, magic, prophecy, and wealth. She is cited as receiving half of the dead lost in battle in her hall Fólkvangr, whereas Odin would receive the other half at Valhalla.

The D&D version is essentially the same, giving her the Air, Charm(?), Good and Magic Domains. Animals associated with her are the cat and the falcon.

I've already got most of her 'business' spells chosen (vigor spells, mass sure wounds spells, mass conviction, panacea etc.) What i'm asking for help on is 'flavour' spells, spells that are hopefully still usefully but also make her a little unique, something that would identify her as a descendant of Asgardian divinity. Does that make sense?

Thankyou for all your feedback thusfar :)