PDA

View Full Version : [4E] - Wondrous Lair Items

Aron Times
2009-08-03, 11:43 AM
Today's Adventurer's Vault 2 preview (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20090803) features wondrous lair items. These are basically wondrous items that are meant to be used in the party's base of operations, i.e. their "lair", and are thus not portable.

The preview includes four items:

1. Cask of Liquid Gold - An unlimited dwarven ale dispenser. Automatically refills itself everyday. With a little refluffing, we can turn this into the Cask of Bitter Black Gold, a coffee dispenser!

2. Door Warden - Basically a magically secured door. Useful for guarding important stuff.

3. Throne of Dominion - This reminds me of the Seanchan Empress's (May she live forever!) throne. Not as powerful as Lelouch's Geass, and it's not portable, but it's the best we have so far.

4. Gorgonblood Mortar - Very expensive for a 50-ft. wide wall, but it's worth it for high-security vaults (think House Kundarak). It blocks phasing creatures, so 24th-level Archmages in Arcane Spirit form can no longer bypass all of your defenses.

Discuss.

Alex Star
2009-08-03, 11:48 AM
The best thing about these "Wonderous Lair" items is that they may be a foreshadowing of PHB3 or DMG2

Perhaps the Return of Leadership or something like it, and stronghold building!

Yoren
2009-08-03, 01:36 PM
I'm actually really disappointed that you can't carry the Cask of Liquid Gold around with you.

Just think of all the problems that could be solved by having a never ending supply of ale!

dragoonsgone
2009-08-03, 02:26 PM
Ale the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

Asbestos
2009-08-03, 05:03 PM
4. Gorgonblood Mortar - Very expensive for a 50-ft. wide wall, but it's worth it for high-security vaults (think House Kundarak). It blocks phasing creatures, so 24th-level Archmages in Arcane Spirit form can no longer bypass all of your defenses.

Discuss.

Well, you'd need all 4 walls and the ceiling and floor to be made with the stuff for it to really be effective. Too expensive for PCs, but great from the NPCs and BBEG... unless your 'vault' is a 5ft cube.