PDA

View Full Version : possible future fight? Xykon vs V's master?

The Gray Fox
2009-08-03, 12:31 PM
ok we know that the elves are trying to save the city what is the possabilty that Vs master is with the main force of elves?(at elven command) from what we know no the force that teleported there is trying to coordinate more corvert groups what if V's master comes in and trys to take on Xykon? Who do you think would win? Assuming he knows O-chul's list and support from other elves?

Snake-Aes
2009-08-03, 12:33 PM
ok we know that the elves are trying to save the city what is the possabilty that Vs master is with the main force of elves?(at elven command) from what we know no the force that teleported there is trying to coordinate more corvert groups what if V's master comes in and trys to take on Xykon? Who do you think would win? Assuming he knows O-chul's list and support from other elves?

Small, as he's depicted as a recluse wizard.

Kish
2009-08-03, 12:36 PM
Xykon would swat Aarindarius like a bug, in the unlikely event that Aarindarius ever tried to confront him.

Optimystik
2009-08-03, 12:38 PM
If Aarindarius does get involved with the story, it will likely be towards V rather than the resistance. I do hope he makes a game-changing appearance though (similar to Hiko Seijuro, Kenshin's master in the Rurouni Kenshin series.)

The Gray Fox
Even reclusive people will come out of solitude in time of great need or war but what i really wanted to know is who do you think would win?

Larkspur
Xykon would swat Aarindarius like a bug, in the unlikely event that Aarindarius ever tried to confront him.

What makes you say that? The fiends presented him as a possible solution to Mama dragon, so he must be fairly powerful.

Snake-Aes
2009-08-03, 12:39 PM
Xykon.
<obligatory characters>

factotum
2009-08-03, 12:57 PM
What makes you say that? The fiends presented him as a possible solution to Mama dragon, so he must be fairly powerful.

Spliced V was a possible solution to Mama Dragon, and I didn't notice him defeating Xykon all that easily!

Mant
2009-08-03, 01:00 PM
Spliced V was a possible solution to Mama Dragon, and I didn't notice him defeating Xykon all that easily!

Just because the plot demanded V to act foolish and have all the deus ex's possible against.

Turkish Delight
2009-08-03, 01:06 PM

Am I missing something from Origin of PCs that states how powerful Aarindarius is? While it was just a hypothetical, the image the fiends painted was of Aarindarius crushed an adult black dragon almost off-handedly, not even bothering to stop reading. Obviously Aarindarius must be packing some major firepower, though doubtfully at Xykon levels.

Optimystik
2009-08-03, 01:10 PM
Just because the plot demanded V to act foolish and have all the deus ex's possible against.

Fighting an epic necromancer without negative energy protection and losing isn't much of a deus ex.

V WINNING with such inadequate defenses... now that would be a deus ex.

Kish
2009-08-03, 01:34 PM
Am I missing something from Origin of PCs that states how powerful Aarindarius is? While it was just a hypothetical, the image the fiends painted was of Aarindarius crushed an adult black dragon almost off-handedly, not even bothering to stop reading. Obviously Aarindarius must be packing some major firepower, though doubtfully at Xykon levels.

The fiends' alternate plan was "ridiculous," in Qarr's words. It only needed to be convincing enough to get past the severely trance-deprived Vaarsuvius and highlight the "this means depending completely on others" aspect. Other than the fiends' saying he could defeat the ancient black dragon easily, there is no indication that Aarindarius is even epic, and epic spellcasters are still rare enough that "he's epic" shouldn't be the default assumption.

All of that, I'd consider neutral. What makes me say Xykon would swat him like a bug is that Aarindarius is an extremely minor character.

Zanaril
2009-08-03, 02:07 PM
I don't know about Xykon Vs. Aarindarius, but if it was Xykon Vs. Aarindarius + the Order, I'd vote for the latter.

While it was just a hypothetical, the image the fiends painted was of Aarindarius crushed an adult black dragon almost off-handedly, not even bothering to stop reading.
That may have just been for the lulz. But maybe not.

Jackson
2009-08-03, 02:43 PM
That was a carryover joke, from when they were going over hypothetical situations in which Qarr would teleport to V's allies to help save his family from the dragon. Here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0630.html).

It shows Aarindarius zapping Qarr without looking up from his book. The joke is that he does the same to the dragon, treating it exactly like Qarr, when he next appears in a hypothetical. It's not a measure or indicator of his actual level of power.

spargel
2009-08-03, 02:50 PM

That's because V is a total idiot.

factotum
2009-08-03, 03:30 PM
That's because V is a total idiot.

And what guarantee do we have that Aarindarius is any better? Everything we've seen of him suggests he always has his head in a book--there's nothing to show he would have any idea how to deal with a black dragon with additional levels in Sorcerer who turned up on his doorstep, much less an epic-level lich necromancer who's clearly optimised himself for dealing with other casters.

Haven
2009-08-03, 03:41 PM
I keep reading this as "possible food fight" o.O

spargel
2009-08-03, 06:07 PM
And what guarantee do we have that Aarindarius is any better? Everything we've seen of him suggests he always has his head in a book--there's nothing to show he would have any idea how to deal with a black dragon with additional levels in Sorcerer who turned up on his doorstep, much less an epic-level lich necromancer who's clearly optimised himself for dealing with other casters.

V thought Aarindarius would be able to handle the dragon, although V's opinion doesn't really mean a lot. We haven't really seen him do or say anything yet, so it's too early to judge.

And it's really Xykon's idiot aura and luck that lets him win most of his difficult fights.

holywhippet
2009-08-03, 06:13 PM
While likely older than the rest of the party (except possibly Durkon) I get the impression that V is still somewhat of a youngster. Powerful, yes, but not entirely experienced enough to know how best to use that power. His/her master is a lot older and presumably has been through a few battles before. Fighting an epic level lich sorcerer could be challenging though.

Bibliomancer
2009-08-03, 06:52 PM

However, people have mentioned in OotPCs that Aarindarius throws V out into the world to get some real experience, implying that Aarindarius was an adventurer at some point in the past and knows how important real-world experience is.

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that Aarindarius is of epic levels, because if he was he would have penetrated the Cloister for the elves, unless he's a recluse even by elven standards. If the latter is the case, then he is unlikely to help at all, unless he sends a familiar to V to set her straight, which doesn't seem to be necessary now.

73 Bits of Lint
2009-08-03, 07:30 PM
Aarindarious is a mentor figure to one of the protagonists, which means:
A) Xykon would drop him like a sack of dirt, and
B) V would somehow be present to see it happen.

I keep reading this as "possible food fight" o.O
Xykon would win that easily. Have you ever tried throwing a fistful of mashed potatoes at a skeleton? It is very difficult, and the stuff just doesn't stick to bones the same way it sticks to skin and hair.
Or, yeah, that's what I've heard. I mean, I'd never ... At least, not unless someone dared me ...

Gift Jeraff
2009-08-03, 07:35 PM
Note that Xykon needed some help from Redcloak and Tsukiko and Xykon did not go easy on V since it was a challenge of power and not a matter of good vs. evil. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0653.html)

73 Bits of Lint
2009-08-03, 07:47 PM
Note that Xykon needed some help from Redcloak and Tsukiko and Xykon did not go easy on V since it was a challenge of power and not a matter of good vs. evil. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0653.html)
Considering that that line was actually used at the end of the fight proper, it seems doubtful to say that Xykon had been holding back. More likely, he just then decided not to offer V the chance to surrender (as he offered to Roy).
Also, Xykon just seems to like saying things to the effect of No-More-Mister-Nice-Guy, as seen here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0661.html) (just a couple minutes after saying that he was through screwing around with V, he was, once again, "officially done" screwing around with V and O'Chul).

Smiling Knight
2009-08-03, 08:10 PM
I assume he went back into relaxation mode after the splice was dispelled, with the whole "relying on Listen checks" and "why you suck lecture."

David Argall
2009-08-03, 08:17 PM
Aarindarius is a bit character. He will not attack the main villain.

Optimystik
2009-08-03, 09:38 PM
Aarindarius is a bit character. He will not attack the main villain.

So was Fyron :smalltongue:

Iago
2009-08-04, 12:34 PM
Aarindarious is a mentor figure to one of the protagonists, which means:
A) Xykon would drop him like a sack of dirt, and
B) V would somehow be present to see it happen.

I have to concur. Oh, we can argue about:
A) Xykon's level (21-to-32, from various forum assessments) and precise abilities and magic items; and
B) Aarindarius' abilities and statistics (completely unknown level, possible relevant prestige classes, such as archmage with counterspell specialty); and
C) under what circumstances the fight would occur (surprise rounds, allies, preparation, location, etc.); and
D) whether Aarindarius would display tactical sense which Vaarsuvius may or may not have, again depending...

BUT. It all fails, because:
A: Drama beats Probability. See http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0584.html
and
B: The villain killing a mentor is dramatic. See http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0392.html

As such, Xykon cannot possibly lose to Aarindarius. Rather, Xykon would handily defeat senior and more powerful mages (magi), only to be defeated by furious and vengeful apprentices (apprentici?)... again, because Drama beats Probability. Q.E.D.

Kish
2009-08-04, 12:44 PM
So was Fyron :smalltongue:
All five of them.

multilis
2009-08-04, 01:09 PM
Humour angle: V's master slaughters X by skilled use of limited spells while still reading book, while jealous V watches. (X later regrows/emerges from sewer)