PDA

View Full Version : Finding a quote

Keld Denar
2009-08-03, 12:35 PM
So, I was talking to a coworker, I remembered a quote, but I couldn't remember exactly how it goes or who said it, and after 20 minutes of googling around, I still can't find it.

Its something like:
"Those who lead don't know better, and those who know better don't lead."

or something like that. Maybe it was not to lead, but to be in politics or government or something. I don't remember. Anyone help me out?

Maybe my google-fu has finally reached its limits.

Blayze
2009-08-03, 12:38 PM
A quick Google search reveals...

"Those who know do not speak, those who speak do not know."

Attributed to a man called "Steve Aylett".

Wikipedia says...

Steve Aylett (b. 1967 in Bromley, United Kingdom) is a satirical science fiction and slipstream author of several bizarro books. He is renowned for his colorful satire attacking the manipulations of authority, and for having reams of amusing epigrams and non-sequiturs only tangentially related to what little linear plot the books possess. His characters are often Trickster figures.

Keld Denar
2009-08-03, 01:25 PM
Nah, thats not it, even if it looks like it. Basically, its saying that almost everyone in politics is stupid, because everyone whos smart knows better than to get into politics.

lvl 1 fighter
2009-08-03, 02:26 PM
Jack Black in School of Rock said something like... "Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, teach gym."

Not really about politics though.

zillion ninjas
2009-08-03, 03:42 PM
This sounds similar to the Peter Principle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle), which is more about work environments in general than about politics:

In a Hierarchy Every Employee Tends to Rise to His Level of Incompetence.

Llama231
2009-08-03, 07:28 PM
Jack Black in School of Rock said something like... "Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, teach gym."

Not really about politics though.

And those who cannot teach gym go into politics. Or law.

kamikasei
2009-08-06, 04:56 AM

Well, that's just a take-off of the old "those who can, do; those who can't, teach" line.

Pyrian
2009-08-06, 09:32 AM
Its something like:
"Those who lead don't know better, and those who know better don't lead."Hmm. Reminds me of Douglas Adams. "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves into a position of power should on no account be allowed to do the job." or "It is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."

MethosH
2009-08-06, 11:06 AM
Zen Proverb "Those who know don't tell and those who tell don't know"

Quote by Aristotle: "Those that know, do. Those that understand, teach."

Putt's Law "Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand."

Polybius (205 BC - 118 BC) "Those who know how to win are much more numerous than those who know how to make proper use of their victories."

There is also
"Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it."
and
"Those who know... do know".

Keld Denar
2009-08-06, 11:24 AM
"It is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."

This is really really close. There was a converse statement attached to it though. "Something about the people who ARE best suited to rule the people are those wise enough to stay out of politics."

Seriously, now this is bugging me...and my google-fu is too weak!

Keld Denar
2009-08-06, 03:00 PM
I think this is what I was looking for:

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato

Yup...pretty much sums it up.

Those silly ancient greeks...they thought of everything!