PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Instrument(s)

Dispozition
2006-07-12, 06:00 AM
Well. I couldn't find a thread like this anywhere else, so I though I might make it.

Just say what instrument is. Simple as that.

I myself like the guitar, drumkit and double bass.

Last_resort_33
2006-07-12, 06:33 AM
I play guitar, drums, Bass and a little bit of the piano (not much)

I think that the best instrument in existance is the BIG church pipe organ (think phantom of the opera)

Zaggab
2006-07-12, 07:31 AM
I played the guitar for a couple of years in school, but 20 minutes a week with a scuky teacher didn't do much for me. After 4 years, I knew as much as I did after one year. So I quit. That was about two years ago, so know I can hardly play the guitar at all.

But it is still my favourite instrument

InaVegt
2006-07-12, 07:32 AM
My favourite instrument is the bagpipe

Kanashimi
2006-07-12, 07:36 AM
^ I absolutely love bagpipe, if it's played WELL. There is nothing more painful than listening to someone caterwaul out amazing grace for the fiftieth time playing a bagpipe poorly.

I personally like playing the piano most. It is the most logical and versatile instrument. For travelable instruments, though I like the Mandolin. ALso incredibly versatile, but fits on your back.

Njerus_Xhazekarath
2006-07-12, 07:45 AM
I play the piano, clarinet, harmonica (diatonic, chromatic and double) and ocarina.

My favourtie instrument of them all will be the clarinet.

Charity
2006-07-12, 07:48 AM
Kazoo or samisen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samisen)

St J would like a black samisen I'm sure.

Tom_Violence
2006-07-12, 08:38 AM
Depends on my mood, I must say.

If I'm feeling particularly chilled out then its gonna be something like piano, acoustic guitar, or cello, without piano probably topping that list.

If I'm feeling quite the opposite then there's a high chance that what I'm really gonna want to listen to is some full band rock music, with the guitar being the main focus. Hence my love of bands like The Living End for their fantastic lightning quick guitar work.

If I'm feeling somewhere inbetween then I find that what I often end up listening to is more electronic-based. You know, that music that doesn't actually have any real instruments in it at all? :P

As for playing, well, I've only ever got even vaguely competent with one instrument - bass - so I guess that would have to be it.

indianajoe
2006-07-12, 11:13 AM
I play the Saxophone.(Of the baritone variety) I also like to play organ or some type of keyboard every once in a great while.

Jack Squat
2006-07-12, 11:16 AM
My favorite has to be the bagpipe as well, proof being that it's the only instrument that I've taken the time for lessons and stick to them.

DEMONhunter
2006-07-12, 11:19 AM
I play electric guitar unbelieveably badly. No, worse.

WampaX
2006-07-12, 11:57 AM
Old thread was here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=banter;action=display;num=1148000891 ;start=0), but since its about two months old, continue here.

Sophistemon
2006-07-12, 01:27 PM
Scalpel.

Elrosth
2006-07-12, 01:44 PM
Piano as my favorite "standard" instrument.

I also greatly enjoy a sort of "electric guitar", if you will. The controller for Guitar Hero. :)

ZombieRockStar
2006-07-12, 01:51 PM
I play the viola, the piano, the guitar and I sing. My favourite has to be the viola. It is NOT just a big violin. >:(

Abd al-Azrad
2006-07-12, 03:44 PM
I sing and play drums. Never both at once.

And I do love listening to skilled kit players. Some people can do amazing things. Neil Peart, for instance.

Hungerdog
2006-07-12, 07:03 PM
My baby grand.

Anytime, in any mood, there's something in me that can come out through the ol' fingers on the ivories.

Nothin' better.

Hoseki
2006-07-12, 08:18 PM
Well, I adore listening to the bagpipes (they are such a misunderstood instrument... :'() But I play the harp and like that.

Vaynor
2006-07-12, 08:29 PM
I used to play clarinet, and like it. Though, my favorite instrument would have to be the piano, is it is, as said, versatile and easy to play, though can sound good too. ;D

Ilover_Juventad
2006-07-12, 08:38 PM
My favorite instrument would have to be the flute (more on wooden), though I don't play it that good. Following that would be piano and harp.

Evil_Pacifist
2006-07-12, 09:22 PM
Wow, lots of musicians here. I play cello and love it. I've played about five years, if memory serves.

Tom_Violence
2006-07-12, 09:43 PM
My baby grand.

Anytime, in any mood, there's something in me that can come out through the ol' fingers on the ivories.

Nothin' better.

I always that the idea of a baby grand piano was one of the great oxymorons of the music world. :P

Bagpipes seem popular, and I can kinda see why. But I gotta tell ya, pretty much every piece on them is starting to sound the same to me. Where I live barely a week goes by without some bastard whipping out the bagpipes and making a massive noise. Admittedly I've never heard an 'expert' play them, and truth be told I probably wouldn't notice if I did. :P At the risk of sounding like a complete Philastine they remind me of the harmonica, in the sense that someone picks them up and plays, and the noise that comes out is not a particular tune but just Bagpipe MusicTM. Still though, I will concede that for certain moments it can fit perfectly.

I guess its just one of those instruments that require a certain degree of education in to be able to properly appreciate. Like the also-mentioned harp it all kind of blends together if you don't really know what you're listening for, to me at least. I mean, everyone is familiar with all manner of guitar pieces and piano pieces, but I dare say most people couldn't really think of many that predominately feature a harp or bagpipes. Interestingly enough, though, one of the tracks that is taking up a lot of my listening time right now features as harp as the main instrument, and I'm very much enjoying it. Definitely in my Top 5 Instruments To Fall Asleep Listening To. :D

General Leitmann
2006-07-12, 09:56 PM
I play guitar, so I like it quite a bit, but I also like the Glissentar (http://www.godinguitars.com/godinglissentarp.htm). But I LOVE piano, especially classical piano.

Geode
2006-07-12, 11:05 PM
@^^ Have you tried wire-strung harp? It's a different sound, less soft with a bell-like ring (sustain).

You can hear some clips at:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000DLV8/102-7294213-6022509?v=glance&n=5174

Scroll down to the list. The amazon Music Sampler worked best for me (there was nothing to install and it loaded faster). The clip quality isn't great but it shows the difference from nylon strung harps.

Jack Squat
2006-07-12, 11:37 PM
Bagpipes seem popular, and I can kinda see why. But I gotta tell ya, pretty much every piece on them is starting to sound the same to me. Where I live barely a week goes by without some bastard whipping out the bagpipes and making a massive noise. Admittedly I've never heard an 'expert' play them, and truth be told I probably wouldn't notice if I did. :P At the risk of sounding like a complete Philastine they remind me of the harmonica, in the sense that someone picks them up and plays, and the noise that comes out is not a particular tune but just Bagpipe MusicTM. Still though, I will concede that for certain moments it can fit perfectly.

Here's where my "expertise" comes in. Most bagpipe music sounds similar because there are only a few catagories (and it's kind of hard to variate with only 9 notes). Anyways the catagories are airs (such as Amazing Grace), Marches ( 2\4, 4\4, 6\8, etc. Most popular is Scotland the Brave.), and Reels, jigs, and hornpipes (which all sound similar to someone who doesn't make it their life).

This has two tunes, but they sound very similar. I belive their both hornpipes, but I may be wrong. (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1702800866761003357&q=Bagpipes)

Scotland the Brave (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUOEr8VyTMQ) While not bagpipes, it is rather amusing

A competiton band (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuNgyOniFSc) These guys are really good. Not sure what set they're playing. Music starts 1 min in. Wish the drums were louder, but now I'm just starting to ramble.

EDIT: Gah, stupid tags.

PandaNecromancer
2006-07-13, 01:26 AM
Bunches of stringed and bowed instruments playing at once to a celtic tune. Rawrr. Add an electric guitar too...odd but awesome combo.

Hario
2006-07-13, 01:45 AM
I play the trumpet. I have no idea why people wouldn't like an instrument that can take on serious, intimidating sounds and still be portable and found in many different styles of music... for the record I don't count piano as portable ;) if it weighs less than 200lbs its not a real piano...

evnafets
2006-07-13, 02:07 AM
For listening to, probably Piano.
But you can't beat a guitar for just rocking up and starting a party.

For playing, I dabble a bit here and there.
Piano (a bit), Mandolin, and even (shock horror) the Piano Accordian

ElfLad
2006-07-13, 02:15 AM
I also greatly enjoy a sort of "electric guitar", if you will. The controller for Guitar Hero. :)

Only instrument I can play.

Favorite to listen to is guitar or piano. And I have a bit of a soft spot for the sitar, although it gets old fairly quickly.

Trog
2006-07-13, 02:28 AM
Drums. Definitely my favorite. It's debatable whether or not I can play. :-/ I have excellent rhythm ;D , but no training. :P

Baerdog7
2006-07-13, 03:41 AM
I play saxophone, so I'm gonna throw in a vote for that, especially the tenor.

However, I do really enjoy a good...hell...anything, really. If I had to narrow down my favorites, I'd say a good: bagpipes, flute, trumpet, French horn, acoustic guitar, piano, saxophone (especially soprano or tenor) and, of course, the human voice would have to make up my favorites.

-Baerdog7

The Evil Thing
2006-07-13, 04:18 AM
Piano, it's easily the most versatile instrument ever and its unique formation and structure make it the easiest instrument to play.

Organ is also a very nice instrument. Simple, raw power but it can still be used very effectively for more delicate work. Bach's (Dorian) Toccata and Fugue comes to mind.

Dispozition
2006-07-13, 06:58 AM
Drums. Definitely my favorite. It's debatable whether or not I can play. :-/ I have excellent rhythm ;D , but no training. :P

Almost the opposite for me :-/
I've been taking lessons for 1 and a 1/2 years now. It still takes me about 10-20 seconds to get the right rythym on most songs.

I also learn acoustic guitar (2 and a 1/2 years) and I play around on the electric bass alot.

Xanadu
2006-07-13, 04:49 PM
It has to be the Tuba, all the way. I just got myself a full-sized one, and it's great. The thing is huge and I can just blast into it.

I, of course, also play the bass (second best instrument ever), guitar, a little piano, and very little drums.

I want to play the Bari Sax, Soprano Sax, Trombone, Bassoon. . . the list could keep getting longer and longer.

Em
2006-07-13, 05:56 PM
I'm... frustrated with the piano right now. It's definitely my favourite instrument, but I can't play the bleeding thing.
I have plenty of training, but no talent. >:(

hyikim
2006-07-14, 10:10 AM
Saxophone FTW!

Kesnit
2006-07-14, 10:43 AM
I play trombone, but my dogs hate it.

In terms of instruments I like to hear, bagpipes played well are high on the list.

CaptainSam
2006-07-14, 07:28 PM
Why has nobody mentioned the ukulele (http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-4559510005057780538&q=Ukulele+Orchestra+of+Great+B ritain)?

A marvellous little instrument, cheap to pick up and even easier to pick up!

Only problem is, they're so cheap, you end up owning several. I have 5, including a banjulele and a Mahalo Flying V (http://www.jam.se/images/mahaloVukksvvsm.jpg) for fun.

Anyone else play it?

Muffin_Mage
2006-07-15, 12:06 AM
I'm going to college to play jazz bari in August, so that gets a vote. I also play, to a greater or lesser extent, flute, clarinet, bassoon, alto and tenor sax and piano. I plan on working the flute and bassoon to the point where I'm semi-competent, and then pick up the oboe for professional reasons. I'm going to be learning piano anyway.

Then for fun, I want to learn how to play flamenco guitar, cocktail piano (which is a completely different style than anything else you can think of, believe me) and the bandoleon. It's sort of like an accordion, but with a different name. Astor Piazzolla wrote a whole crapload of tangos for it.

As a side note, I also want to sing in a barbershop quartet.

General Leitmann
2006-07-15, 12:07 AM
Why has nobody mentioned the ukulele (http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-4559510005057780538&q=Ukulele+Orchestra+of+Great+B ritain)?

Anyone else play it?

I got one!! Loads of fun!

Rolly_Goodbox
2006-07-15, 03:59 AM
Ive got a bachelors degree in jazz performance (saxophone), but other than that id have to say my favourite intsrument to listen to is the Trumpet.

Theres just something about Lee morgan and Freddie Hubbard that make everyday seem a little bit better.

Warmage_@_Large
2006-07-15, 08:52 AM
The recorder...........

It's all I can play :-[

Tom_Violence
2006-07-15, 09:51 AM
Dueling banjos!

Mattaeu
2006-07-15, 11:56 AM
Currently, the panpipes, wooden.

Totally a chilling out instrument, but with plenty of notes to start rocking.

Now I just need to figure out how. :P

Jack Squat
2006-07-15, 05:17 PM
The recorder...........

Isn't a recorder the same thing as a tin whistle, or close enough? Those things are great at doing jigs.

TheSilverKnight
2006-07-15, 07:40 PM
Best instrument and my favorite is the electric bass via I am teaching my self and it has been a year and all I can play is "Saints go marching in" and "Smoke on the Water".

The best thing I have ever heard is the mix of bagpipes and five string bass in the begining of "Shoots and ladders" by Korn fieldy is the best basist next to the origonla Metalica basist and the 12 string basist from Led Zepphlin.

I also played the violen for a week in fifth grade(7 years ago?)

Besides that any bass instrument it is what stands out to me in music while those untrained in music not only don't hear it they don't appreicate it.

hmmm I guess piano and synthasizers too *generic techno mmmm cha mmm cha*

Tom_Violence
2006-07-15, 09:25 PM
Hehe, good ol' Smoke On The Water.

For who else was that the first tune you ever learned to play on a guitar? :)

Njerus_Xhazekarath
2006-07-15, 10:44 PM
The recorder...........

Don't worry, I can never play the recorder myself, although I can play the clarinet. Don't ask me why, I just can't make any sound out of that darn recorder.

Muffin_Mage
2006-07-16, 12:34 AM
Don't worry, I can never play the recorder myself, although I can play the clarinet. Don't ask me why, I just can't make any sound out of that darn recorder.
Well, Adrian Rollini, one of the giants of the bass saxophone during the 20s and 30s, created an instrument that might help you out. He took a tin whistle, removed the normal mouthpiece thingy and put cork and a sax mouthpiece onto it. He called it the red hot fountain pen. It sounds pretty spiffy. I can dig up a clip if you wish.

Speaking of that, I want to buy a bass sax at some point. And it's all Rollini's fault.

Ryshan Ynrith
2006-07-16, 01:41 AM

A marvellous little instrument, cheap to pick up and even easier to pick up!

Only problem is, they're so cheap, you end up owning several. I have 5, including a banjulele and a Mahalo Flying V (http://www.jam.se/images/mahaloVukksvvsm.jpg) for fun.

Anyone else play it?

Speaking of ukeleles...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=O9mEKMz2Pvo&search=Ukelele%20weeps

Ravyn
2006-07-16, 02:42 PM
I play flute and pennywhistle, along with most concert percussion--and I'm in my school's gamelan, so rebab, gender, gender panarus, suling, slenthem, gambang and saron. I even have my own rebab now--I need more music, though. Lots and lots of music....

For stuff to listen to, I have a soft spot for panpipes, but I'll listen to anything that's mainly melodic, and the more instruments they find use for, the better.

Krulla
2006-07-17, 06:43 PM
Being a bassist myself, (http://images.hugi.is/blog/88368.jpg) I'm going to have to go with the electric bass. :D

I just got a Ernie Ball MusicMan 5 string last week... it's beautiful. Played my first gig with it last friday (that's the linked pic).. My first 5 string too, I've been playing 4 strings since I started about three years ago. That low B scares me. :-/

kriklaf
2006-07-18, 04:24 PM
Depends on the music. If we're talking rock, then absolutely electric guitar. Brian May's probably my favorite--lots of people talk about good guitarists who make their guitars talk--he makes his sing.

Orchestral--eh, it's a toss-up between cello and English horn. That is, as long as the english horn is well-played. It, along with the rest of its double-reed kin, can be absolutely excruciating if played poorly.

Oh, and if we're talking about instruments that we ourselves play, then I'll go with voice. It is also a beautiful instrument that takes skill and practice and finesse to show beauty. No, everyone cannot sing. I was subjected to a wretched piece of crap "performed" by the equally wretched Paris Hilton that completely proves my point.

AmberVael
2006-07-18, 07:57 PM
WHAT? Does this thread mean that I'm the only French Horn player here?
*Gasp*
By the way, we French Horn players are the best. If you want to contend that point, you first must listen to The London Horn Sound. You can hear some clips here. (http://www.calarecords.com/detail.asp?ID=54)
I haven't listened to these particular clips, so I don't know about the quality.
The quality is passable, but the CD sounds SO much better. You want to buy it now...

Trog
2006-07-19, 12:05 AM
Hehe, good ol' Smoke On The Water.

For who else was that the first tune you ever learned to play on a guitar? :)

HA! My kid! It's the only tune I knew to show him at the time.

blackfox
2006-07-19, 09:22 AM
Alto saxophone, B-flat soprano clarinet, and soprano flute. Piccolo is acceptable for blowing out the ears of the trumpet section, however. ;D

Iroll20s
2006-07-19, 09:42 AM
I play the guitar and I could probably pull a tune out of a violin given a few minutes but ach nothin sounds better than the sounds of a bagpipe playing Saving Grace in the highlands, im sorry, I'm part scottish, so sue me :P (excuse me while i 'Transcribe the accent into the [post]')

I cannae understan why some pipple dinnae like the soond of the ol' bagpipes, scunners the lot of 'em, a goot bagpipes player can bring tears of joy to the eyes of the listener rather than tears of anguish of one who cannae play them properly.

(despite that i dont have a scottish accent, if anything its slightly irish)

AmberVael
2006-07-19, 02:27 PM
Piccolo is acceptable for blowing out the ears of the trumpet section, however. ;D

To quote our piccolo section:
"Top 10 reason to play piccolo #7: Because we like seeing dogs and small children run away when we start playing."

I suppose if you confine it to the trumpet section it will acceptable. Just don't start on the beloved Horn section (though the horns aroun you may not be the elite like my section is ;)).

Chump_and_William
2006-07-22, 02:51 PM
William: hi, i play the tuba

chump: i play the drum

XXelementXX
2006-07-22, 03:10 PM
I don't really play much of anything... But I know how to play Hot Cross Buns on a recorder! ^^;

The_Lonely_d12
2006-07-23, 12:29 AM
I play a bunch of instruments...Tuba, Clarinet, Flute, Shakuhachi, piano, various percussion, guitar, pipe organ (getting better, at least), marimba, the trombone, the mandolin....and spoons.

Yes, I can play the spoons.

I blame my tuba professor for that one-he insisted on doing a folk quartet with someone doing percussion, and I was bright enough to say that I played a lot of percussion. My favorite would have to be either the clarinet, the mandolin, the flute, or the shakuhachi.

Wow...I play a lot...my own fault for being a music ed major, though.

Krade
2006-07-24, 02:18 AM
I must say I'm not particularly suprised to see you posting in this thread.

On topic: While I don't particularly have a favorite instrument, I do have several that I enjoy listening to above all others: Electric Bass, Cello, Mandolin, and... COWBELL!!!!!

Arian
2006-07-24, 03:44 AM
I like all the recorder family, especially treble and tenor. I own sheet music for some wonderful duets for treble and tenor recorder. :-)

(Treble is another name for alto, BTW. The 'standard' recorder is called either descant or soprano.)

Artisan
2006-07-24, 05:51 AM
PErsonally, I play the sax, but I love listening to all wind and brass instruments, and Chellos (Apocalyptica RULES! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalyptica))

Lianae
2006-07-25, 08:44 AM
I used to do piano for a couple of years, but my favourite instrument is the electric guitar. I can play a tiny bit, but I just love listening to riffs - think Led Zep, the Darkness and Jimi Hendrix

Krade
2006-07-25, 05:40 PM
PErsonally, I play the sax, but I love listening to all wind and brass instruments, and Chellos (Apocalyptica RULES! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalyptica))
HA! Apocalyptica is just about the ONLY reason I even know exactly what a cello is. So yeah, I second the"Apocalyptica Rules" statement, they are definitely in my top 5 favorite groups.

GravyThePowrballr
2006-07-25, 11:21 PM
Good Lord. Lotsa musical folks here. Well I don't mean to brag, but I play a mean air guitar. Better than any you've ever heard I'm sure.

But I *can* play "Afternoon Delight" on a triangle. Is that not one of the best songs ever?

Ubergeek87
2006-07-26, 04:16 PM
I'm pretty decent with the Harmonica and I really like the sound of the Didgeridoo too even though I can't play it.

Random_Sea-Monkey
2006-07-27, 07:54 PM
I like piano music most of all. I also like the sound of the celesta (similar in concept to a piano, though the hammers strike metal plates). All string instruments (non-plucking except the harp) sound incredible.

The_bard
2006-07-27, 10:52 PM
oh man, dont get me started!

i <3 lutes, but i dont have one :(

barry sax has a good jazz sound

i like the pennywhistle/tinwhistle (i made one of these)

guitars are fun and are good in alot of musical genres

i also like the oboe (dont ask why)

wooden flute in celtic tunes are beautiful

bagpipes are good, if a profetional played them

i could go on, but i wont

theswarm
2006-07-28, 12:49 AM
I love any kind of drums, even though I can't play. I play cello, the coolest orchestra instrument EVER!!!

Appolo
2006-07-28, 01:34 AM
i play guitar, electric bass, drums, upright bass, and cello.

i've gotta say that the order of my favourite to least favourite is

upright bass
electric bass
drums
guitar
cello

Deckmaster
2006-07-28, 05:07 PM
I used to be in the percussion section of the school band. We played a variety of instruments. My favorite was the xylophone.

My dad plays the guitar. I keep asking him to teach me how.

LazyJoe
2006-07-28, 05:37 PM
Bass guitar all the way, baby. Unless you want to go fully acoustic in a kind of Damien Rice/Jack Johnson live-session stylee, you'll never appreciate the bass until it's gone. It lends a sturdiness to most songs. Easy to pick up, difficult to master, it's the ultimate foundation-building instrument.

HabbakukUnknown
2006-07-28, 06:31 PM
Triangle and Cowbell. The two best instruments ever.

And when i'm listening to music, rock if i'm in a chilled out mood, stuff like Satch and Apocalyptica, or if i'm feeling heavy, then Dragonforce, Lordi, Hammerfall, Trivium for me. If i'm depressed, then Metallica, any other mood, everything

I also play guitar, bass, drums, percussion, Recorder, Ocarina, Harmonica (slightly), Flute and Keyboard/Piano.

And Churhc organs rock (think Phantom of the Opera or Davy Jones in PotC 2)

TheThan
2006-07-28, 11:58 PM
I’m learning the harmonica, (lazy don’t practice as much as I should) and I have an itch to start learning the dulcimer, my dad and I found a cheep one at Wal-Mart so we picked it up. But then we discovered that this one is missing like three frets so we can’t do much with it.

Jack Squat
2006-07-29, 12:44 AM
I’m learning the harmonica, (lazy don’t practice as much as I should) and I have an itch to start learning the dulcimer, my dad and I found a cheep one at Wal-Mart so we picked it up. But then we discovered that this one is missing like three frets so we can’t do much with it.

That sounds exactly like me when I started learning the harmonica. Of course losing both of mine tends to put a damper on practice time :P

*Note, I never actually got to the songs more advanced than Kumbaya

Chris the Pontifex
2006-07-30, 09:22 AM
I cant play any instrument and the stuff I listen to mostly comes from synths and computers. There is this one electronic instrument that I've seen only ones (I believe it was with the polyphonic spree)
I dont know what its called, but its got an antenna and a reciever, and it works by distorting the magnetic field with your hand(s). The whole concept is just brilliant and in the hands of a skilled musician so is the music.

What that guy is doing to that ukelele is just brilliance

Goff
2006-07-30, 09:28 AM
Would the theremin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theremin) be what you're talking about?

Chris the Pontifex
2006-07-30, 09:40 AM
yes thats the one,
and knowing that Goldfrapp uses them explains a lot of their first album

B0nd07
2006-07-30, 09:35 PM
I like the electric guitar, trumpet, and harmonica mainly because I like rock, and jazz.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-07-31, 05:26 AM
French horns have to be my favourite instrument, i mean look at the jokes they have for them;

conductor:
leaps tall buildings in a single bound
is more powerful than a locomotive
is faster than a speeding bullet
walks on water gives policy to god

percussionist:
falls over the doorstep when trying to enter buildings
says "look at the choo-choo"
wets himself with a water pistol
plays in mud puddles
loses arguments with himself

saxophone player:
runs into buildings
recognizes locomotives 2 times out of 3
is not issued any ammunition
can stay afloat with a life jacket
talks to walls, argues with himself

clarinet player: (Dedicated to a clarinet player I know)
Too afraid too jump building because of their reed
Works in locomotives
too busy with reed for gun
throws reed into water
thinks reed is god

trombone player:
leaps short buildings in a single bound
is more powerful than a switch engine
is just as fast as a speeding bullet
walks on water if sea is calm
talks with god

flautist:
barely clears a Quonset hut
loses tug-of-war with locomotive
can fire a speeding bullet
swims well
is occasionally addressed by god

oboist:
leaps short buildings with a running start and favorable winds
is almost as powerful as a switch engine
is almost as fast as a speeding bullet
walks on water in an indoor swimming pool
talks to god if special request is approved

bassoonist:
makes marks on the wall when trying to clear short buildings
is run over by a locomotive
can sometimes handle a gun without inflicting self-injury
dog-paddles
talks to animals

trumpet player:
argues with building when it won't get out of the way
sleeps in locomotive
claims it's too easy to catch bullets in teeth explaining why he really can't
saves water to drink after every triple C
thinks he's god.

horn player:
lifts buildings and walks under them
kicks locomotives off the tracks
catches speeding bullets in teeth and eats them
freezes water with a single glance
is god

Muffin_Mage
2006-08-01, 01:31 AM
I haven't heard that one, but here's the French horn joke I always think of:

Three college girls living in the same room take three band guys out one night. The first girl went out with a trumpet player. When the others asked her how the kissing was, she said, "Eh. His lips were too tight, and he was a bit of a jerk." The second girl went out with a tuba player. She said, "His lips were these huge meaty slabs! They were disgusting!" The third girl went out with a French horn player. When asked, she said, "Oh, the kissing was so-so, but I loved the way he held me!"

Shotaro
2006-08-01, 12:57 PM
Guitar, Piano and of course the Theremin, simply because you can play it with your nose and it doesn't cause excessive blood loss/sandpaper like skin-loss

Caillach
2006-08-01, 02:45 PM
I play the viola, the piano, the guitar and I sing. My favourite has to be the viola. It is NOT just a big violin. >:(

Hooray there's more than one of us in the world! It is good to know.

Reivas_Genocai
2006-08-02, 09:02 PM
I'm learning how to play bass right now, I've had it for about 2 years but the majority of what I've learned has been in the past 9 months, I got really into it, and I cant stop.

So I do bass and lead vocals (harsh vocals, yes I'm that cool. Personally, I enjoy them as much as singing) for a metal project/band that I've started.
I'm part self taught and part "my guitarist from the band taught me." (he plays guitar, bass, anything with a string really, and pretty damn well)

But it's definatly a blast to play and do vocals, though my talent lies more with vocals, and I am starting to learn that whole multitasking thing.

The_Lonely_d12
2006-08-03, 09:03 PM
French horns have to be my favourite instrument, i mean look at the jokes they have for them;

conductor:

percussionist:
plays in mud puddles

saxophone player:
runs into buildings

Works in locomotives
throws reed into water
thinks reed is god

trombone player:
talks with god

flautist:
swims well

oboist:

bassoonist:
dog-paddles
talks to animals

trumpet player:
sleeps in locomotive
thinks he's god.

horn player:
is god

I saw that in the music building at my university, and I almost started crying from laughter. Some of the things there, like clarinetists with their reeds, or trumpets with their water and needless triple C's...good times. I kinda wonder what they would've said for tubists...

DivinelyFlawed
2006-08-06, 02:13 PM
My instrument is the clarinet. And yes, the Reed is god. For without the Reed...I just have a wooden tube.

happyjenn97
2006-08-19, 04:34 AM
Cello & acoustic guitar (not together)

GeeVee
2006-08-20, 12:31 PM

conductor:

percussionist:
plays in mud puddles

saxophone player:
runs into buildings

Works in locomotives
throws reed into water
thinks reed is god

trombone player:
talks with god

flautist:
swims well

oboist:

bassoonist:
dog-paddles
talks to animals

trumpet player:
sleeps in locomotive
thinks he's god.

horn player:
is god

That joke doesn't really work in that context...

Anyways, back to instruments. I really only play two instruments. I've played the clarinet for seven years, but I've never really given it much effort. I've played guitar since september 2005, and if I don't play at least two or three hours a day, I get withdrawal symptoms. :P Guess which one is my favorite.