PDA

View Full Version : Buried Treasure

Agamid
2009-08-04, 12:15 AM
It's amazing what you find when you go through old boxes or move house, or at second hand shops or just sitting by the side of the road.

My best frying pan was found in a rubbish bin about 30 years ago, my hair dryer was in a dumpster and a got about a dozen gorgeous gloves out of a dumpster out the front of a deceased estate once.

I'm always fascinated to hear about and see what cool little treasures people have uncovered, so please tell and show.

I'm currently preparing to move house, and so have been going though all the boxes under the house and throwing out a lot and decided what to store with my mum and what to take with me.
Some of the highlights of the finds from under the house include:
An Original Flash Gordon comic book
A dictionary from 1912
A newspaper from 1957 (and my dad's newspaper collection from when he was a kid, which includes the papers covering the moon landing and the queen's coronation).
And this, made by my grandfather for my grandmother (both now dead) while he was stationed in Papua New Guinea.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2593/3787939752_e3aa1d93fa_b.jpg

Player_Zero
2009-08-04, 12:43 AM
Was expecting this to be about that kind of sport dealie where you bury stuff and leave clues... What's that called again?

Ninja Chocobo
2009-08-04, 12:46 AM
Occasionally people will throw out their old computers by putting them on the side of the road. Upon noticing them I pull out any available processors or RAM and make a note to return later with a screwdriver for the hard drive/s. They're not exactly quality parts, but they're small enough to be collectable.

Lately, however, someone's been getting the screwdriver there first. Missed out on two that way...

e: Images!
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa252/NinjaChocobo/Other/ram.jpg
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa252/NinjaChocobo/Other/processors.jpg

Recaiden
2009-08-04, 12:53 AM
Was expecting this to be about that kind of sport dealie where you bury stuff and leave clues... What's that called again?

Do you mean Geo-caching? Or a scavenger hunt?

I don't often find stuff lying on the road, but we did get a treadmill once. I get a lot of things at garage sales and such though. Furniture, lights, toys.

TheThan
2009-08-04, 12:55 AM

Geocashing Yo

RTGoodman
2009-08-04, 01:01 AM
Huh, we actually just did the same kind of thing. Several years ago we had to move out of our old house because the government was gonna bulldoze it to put a road in. Well, after we moved out, they changed the plans, so the building was left standing. Now, in the past, oh, 5-6 years, the place has been DESTROYED by looters (who took everything from the complete set of copper piping to the hot water heater to the friggin' furnace).

BUT, yesterday my mom and brother went in there to see what was left, and happened to find an old bottle of Johnie Walker scotch from what assume to be the early 1900s (since that's when the house was built. It's so old that it doesn't have a label, it just has the brand and whatnot right in the glass of the bottle. The things kinda cracked and the "cork" or "stopper" appears to just be a bunch of rock or hardened mud or something at this point, but there's some liquid in the bottle and you can still smell the booze. Very cool stuff. I'll try to get a photo up tomorrow if I think about it.

Player_Zero
2009-08-04, 01:04 AM
Do you mean Geo-caching?

Geocashing Yo

Yeah, them's the one. Excellent, now it won't annoy me.

Quincunx
2009-08-04, 04:41 AM
I literally pounced upon this when it turned up in a charity shop sandwiched between saints' pictures and framed postcards:
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u231/Quincunx_GitP/Fabrics/template_front.jpg
It's a multi-sized bodice sloper for drafting a basic sewing pattern. By the best guesses of a better researcher than I, and by the bra-less and flat silhouette the basic pattern gives, I think it's late '20s-early '30s issue of a mail-order pattern drafting course. Somewhere out there are the matching books with instructions to expand this thing into an entire wardrobe.

Bouregard
2009-08-04, 05:21 AM
I got a office chair for free from my old boss. Yes it was used, yes maybe the leather was worn out on the edges but think about it, new it was worth 600€... yeah not a cheap plastic one, ergonomic, real leather, stainless steal, designwork... and he want to throw it away...

Only annoying thing it's freaking heavy...

Fostire
2009-08-04, 10:04 AM
When I helped my cousin move into my grandfather's old apartment, I started going through my grandfather's stuff trying to find some money he had lost a couple of years before.
I found plenty of amazing stuff, including medals from sailing competitions, dozens of old photos, plenty of cash (although it was all in an old currency that is no longer in use), and even a certificate stating that my great grandfather joined the nazi party. But the best find of all was a small envelope that contained 5 rings and a pearl necklace. Two of them were wedding rings and the other three where gold rings with diamonds on top.
The weird thing here is that no one in my family knows who the rings belong to. The wedding rings each have an inscription with initials and a date, and according to my mother no one in my family got married on either of those dates, plus the initials don't match with anyone in my family either.

Mysterious rings are mysterious (and valuable :smallbiggrin:)