PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Sport

jeek
2009-08-04, 04:00 AM
I've been kicking around the idea in my head of trying to modify the 3.5 rules a bit to set up a team sport, where each player would control X characters and try to move some object (a ball?) from one point to another, similar to American football.

Lethal effects are not currently a problem in my book (I'm a big fan of the old Mutant League games), but I'm assuming certain effects will have to be nerfed or banned (casters, lulz) for this to even be remotely playable.

Each player would create X number of characters, and then face off using whatever standard ruleset evolves out of this. Tournaments, and perhaps leagues, may evolve in the future.

I haven't done any actual crunching yet, but I wanted to get the idea out there and see if has been done already (Blood Bowl! :D) or if anyone had awesome ideas.

Edit: So far, I've had these ideas:
Only subdual damage can be dealt to anyone not carrying the ball.
No flying/teleports/burrowing (or maybe just not for the ball carrier)
Medium-sized and small races only (As much as I want to see a half-minotaur lineman)
Other than the initial snap, handoffs are a move action that provokes an attack of opportunity.
A given play would consist of: Offense subs, defense subs, offense lays out, defense lays out...Surprise round for the offensive team?

How the hell would we resolve passing? Considering not even including it.

Zeta Kai
2009-08-04, 05:27 AM
D20 Baseball (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39392) was my stab at drafting a sport using 3.0 rules. Check it out.

levi
2009-08-04, 05:57 AM
One way passing would work is to use Attacks of Opportunites. As the ball goes by, it provokes attacks of opportunity. If successfully hit with one (I'm assuming a grapple), it gets intercepted. Throwing a pass would be some sort of ranged attack check, and a good roll could give a bonus to AC against interceptions and help out the reciver.

Taking a ready action to catch or intercept a pass could give some kind of bonus as well.

TheGrimace
2009-08-04, 08:53 AM
Have the Thrower make an attack roll, and the intended receiver make a reflex save. Add the two results together. If the sum of the results exceeds the DC then the pass is completed.

All defensive players within (10?) feet of the ball get to make a reflex save as well, with a DC of (Throw Result + distance from ball (in feet)) to knock down the pass.

A quarterback can increase the DC by four in order to increase the throw result by two as many times as he would like, but he must declare this before rolling his attack roll (represents a bullet pass. Harder to catch, but harder to knock down.)

Exactly what "The DC" is, I'm not sure, what level characters are you using?

Zeta Kai
2009-08-04, 06:01 PM
I also made rules for the game of Blitzball (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4479935), which is a fictional sport with some similarities to football. Check that out, too.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-04, 07:01 PM
Only subdual damage can be dealt to anyone not carrying the ball.

That reminds me of a minor villain I once had. Ubercharger with a merciful weapon, and a coterie of necromancers waiting in the wings... nonlethal damage was anything but.

imp_fireball
2009-08-04, 07:51 PM
I'm planning to create d20 football and hockey in the tradition of baseball (already created, haven't witnessed any games hosted though).

Football would differ from blitzball in that it would be more two dimensional and depend on a roster of characters rather than the statistics of specific individuals (so when I create it, I'd attempt to keep within the rules already laid out in core).

It may take a while to get down to though amid all the other ideas popping into my head.

Debihuman
2009-08-04, 09:55 PM
So Zeta, should we be expecting Quiddich from you any time soon?

Debby
Whistling innocently....