PDA

View Full Version : Spell Druid options

Edwin
2009-08-04, 07:41 AM
So, I'm about to join a 1st level campaign, and have decided against my usual choice of arcane caster.

This time, I was thinking of making my self a druid. But not just a druid, no, a spell druid. That is, a druid focusing almost 100% on his spells.

Now, I don't have that much experience with this, so I was wondering if any of you playgrounders had some suggestions for a spell druid character.

This includes feats, character options, good spells, items, everything!

Don't limit yourself to 1st level, and any book is in. Also, what I really need is a good PrC.

Eldariel
2009-08-04, 07:44 AM
Any more focus than that? In any event, you'll probably still want to use Wildshape+AC, if defensively (flying forms, flying mount, etc.). Druids make for incredible summoners and have decent offensive magic, and buffing so those angles are things you should utilize.

Beyond the obvious "Max Your Wis" and "Natural Spell", you'll probably want Metamagic and if interested, Summoning-feats (really, summons are incredibly versatile and potent spells when buffed with magic and used up to their given potential).

The Rose Dragon
2009-08-04, 07:52 AM
Also, what I really need is a good PrC.

There are no good druid PrCs if you're going to focus on spells that I can think of. There is Planar Shepherd, of course, but 1) I've never seen it, and 2) most people say it's insanely overpowered.

Starscream
2009-08-04, 07:59 AM
Yeah, Planar Shepard is broken to an absurd degree. Don't stoop to that.

The problem with druid PrCs is that while plenty of them advance spellcasting, none of them advance Wild Shape. Except for Master of Many Forms, which advances nothing else.

The best thing for a druid is more druid. You get full casting, full wild shape, and the best animal companion.

Edwin
2009-08-04, 08:21 AM
I don't really care too much about wildshape for this character.

Yeah, anyone feeling the need to scream out that wildshape rocks or that it's key for a druid, just quit it. I am perfectly capable of making a potent druid character, this is simply another, if less high-powered, way to go.

As for the master of many forms; Sort of defeats the purpose, so that's not really an option.

Epinephrine
2009-08-04, 08:24 AM
As someone currently playing a spell druid, I have a few questions:

1) Is being a "druid" vital, or could you be another nature-loving divine caster (Spirit Shaman (uses druidic spells, fights ghostly undead), priest of a nature god, PrC to Holt Warden, etc. The Spirit Shaman is particularly neat, as it's a flexible spontaneous caster - you decide your spells known each day, and then cast spontaneously from that list.

2) If being druid is your choice (I approve, but thought I'd give alternate ideas), would your DM allow you to swap some features? There are some variant druids without wildshape/animal companions - one takes a bunch of features from different classes - monk movement and AC bonus, ranger favoured enemies, etc.

3) Would your DM allow you to grab class features from Pathfinder?
In Pathfinder you can choose to give up your animal companion in exchange for an appropriate domain; I believe the choices are the elemental domains, Plant, Animal, and Weather. Extra spells and a domain power don't hurt, and make up for the lack of a companion.

As far as PrCs are concerned, it depends on what you envision yourself doing. Holt Warden isn't bad, it adds some nice abilities and the plant domain; Winterhaunt of Iborighu is an odd choice that boosts power with cold spells - we just altered the fluff a bit so that it was fey-aligned rather than undead aligned. This only required rejigging the last two levels, so that rather than undead-type powers you gain fey-type powers, and rather than summoning entombed you summon some form of fey. (This is the route my spellcasting druid was going - aligning himself with the winter court of the fey and gaining power over winter.)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-08-04, 08:24 AM
First of all, you don't need to do anything special to be focused on spellcasting than you would to be focused on any other part of the class. A single-classed naked Druid with Toughness, Toughness, Natural Spell, and more Toughness is just as good a spellcaster as he would ever need to be. Don't limit yourself by discounting the rest of the class.

You could go Human and get Spell Focus: Conjuration and Augment Summoning at level 1, but I wouldn't even bother with that. You definitely want Natural Spell at level 6, and you'll probably want Natural Bond at level 3 to get a 'level -3' companion and still count as your full Druid level for its bonuses. Your animal companion is going to be just as strong as any melee character in the party, so don't disregard it. Start with a wolf, and at level 4 upgrade to a Fleshraker (MM3) or a Dire Eagle (RoS). For a spellcaster I'd go with the eagle since you can also use it as a flying mount.

For gear you'll probably want a Circlet of Rapid Casting from MIC, and Wilding Clasps for your important gear. Keep in mind that Druids are good at melee without any additional effort (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0353.html). You'll want to use armor and a shield starting out, eventually upgrade to some dragonhide breastplate and get Wild put on it. One of your first items should be a Lesser Rod of Extend for when you cast Creeping Cold. Later on you'll want a standard Rod of Empower for Fire Seeds.

Good offensive spells would include Produce Flame, Entangle, Creeping Cold, maybe Splinterbolt, Sleet Storm, Call Lightning, Icelance, Ice Storm, Arc of Lightning, and if you have Frostburn you'll want to prepare Call Avalanche. If you get a Fleshraker companion you should definitely use Venomous Volley (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Spells-Druid.pdf), a 2nd level spell that gives affected creatures a -4 to saves vs poison. Summon Nature's Ally can be useful, particularly once you get 5th level spells and can use Animal Growth on 1d3 Lions plus your companion. Also remember that you can spontaneously summon a Unicorn, which has multiple Cures and Neutralize Poison as spell-like abilities, plus its Magic Circle can keep nongood extraplanar creatures at bay and ignores SR. Buffing spells are good to have, particularly Enrage Animal and Bull's Strength for your companion in the early levels. If you plan on using a lot of buffs on your party, the feat Magic of the Land in Races of the Wild would be a useful choice.

I'd probably go with a small size race, such as a Gnome or Water Halfling (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#racesOfWater). Human is useful for the extra feat and skills, Wild Elf is good for weapon proficiencies and maybe dipping one level into Seeker of the Misty Isle. There are cheesy races such as Anthromorphic Bat from Savage Species and Jermaline in MM2, but no sane DM would allow either of those. Killoren from Races of the Wild is also a fun choice, their Aspect of the Ancient is particularly useful if you take Magic of the Land.

Edwin
2009-08-04, 08:37 AM
Don't limit yourself by discounting the rest of the class. -snap-

I'll say this again: I do not care about being as optimized as possible, and though, as I am well aware of, wildshape and the animal companion are powerful abilities. But I don't care.

What I want is a druid (Or possibly the spirit shaman, though I would prefer druid), who focuses 100% on his spellcasting capability, and using that to it's maximum effect.

Sorry about that, just needed to clear it up.

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone, and please, keep it coming.

Also, I doubt my DM would allow me to get a Fleshraker, even if I wanted to.

Gnaeus
2009-08-04, 08:45 AM
Be a Gnome (Con + and small size with no real drawbacks if you plan to be a spellslinger.)

At level 4, get a Dire Bat, which you ride. Upgrade to better flying mounts as needed.

Now you fly around all day, as a mobile spellcasting platform. Grab a couple of wands which benefit your party and can be used at range (Snakes Swiftness or Mass Snakes Swiftness, Creeping Cold, maybe summons).

You can't really go wrong with Spell Focus (Conjuration), Augment Summoning, Rapid Spell, and other summoning feats (Cloudy Conjuration, Greenbound/Ashbound, etc.)

Don't give up your animal companion. You want flight to stay away from melee while you cast. You CAN give up WS, but I don't recommend it, because all the alternatives are worse, and few advance casting in a meaningful way.

There are no good straight Druid PRCs. If you REALLY want to be a caster over all else, consider Druid 3, Wizard 3, Mystic Theurge 1, Arcane hierophant 10, Mystic Theurge 2-3. 17 level druid and wizard casting, at the cost of a slower progression and gimping your AC and Wildshape, but if you don't care about AC and wildshape ANYWAY... With this build, you do probably want to take natural bond at level 3, because having a flying mount really goes a long way towards keeping your caster mobile and out of reach for spellcasting. If you want 100% spellcasting, you don't want enemies in your face, and you do that with your animal companion.

Starsinger
2009-08-04, 08:52 AM
You could always take 1 level of Hierophant way in the future, for this nifty ability here.
Power of Nature (Su)

Available only to hierophants with druid levels, this ability allows a hierophant to temporarily transfer one or more of his druid Class Features to a willing creature. The transfer lasts anywhere from 24 hours to one week (chosen at the time of transfer), and while the transfer is in effect, the hierophant cannot use the transferred power. He can transfer any of his druid powers except spellcasting and the ability to have an animal companion.

The druid’s wild shape ability can be partially or completely transferred. The heirophant choses how many uses of wild shape per day to give to transfer and retains the rest of the uses for himself. If the hierophant can assume the form of Tiny or Huge animals, the recipient can as well.

As with the imbue with spell ability spell, the hierophant remains responsible to his deity for any use to which the recipient puts the transferred abilities.

And then your pesky wildshape can be someone elses problem.

Uin
2009-08-04, 08:53 AM
Shifter Druid/Moonspeaker

You were looking for a PrC and Moonspeaker is about the only one thats not either ridiculous or garbage. This works well if you want to focus on spells:

Shifter Druid Racial subs are solid. You can trade away your AC for a built in spirit buff that helps you physically and you can prep extra spells. You can trade away some wildshape for shifting benefits.

Moonspeaker adds more spells to your spell list and allows you to treat metamagic feats as shifter feats augmenting your shifting.

Moonspeakers again Augmented Summoning, Extended Summoning (no adjustment) and extra options of SNA.

Epinephrine
2009-08-04, 09:06 AM
Ok, some spell druid ideas: I'll just throw some focused ideas out there, since there are just so many options.

1) Winter druid. Choose to ignore all fire spells, ask the DM if you can replace all fire spells with cold damage equivalents. While cold is slightly better than fire normally, reducing your arsenal to pretty much cold and lightning actually reduces your flexibility, so it's a drop in power. Take Piercing Cold later so you can punch through cold resistance, look at other metamagic abilities. Winterhaunt is a neat PrC in this theme.

2) Plant druid. Use tons of plant-based spellcasting. Holt Wardens are plant-based PrC as well. Vine Mine makes plants where needed, heightened Entangle can actually be effective, and Blood Creepers or the like can act as a nasty plant-based offense (along with spells like Splinterbolt). Feel free to ask the DM to change a few spells to match thematically - the spell Sudden Stalagmite, for example, could just as easily be a root/thorn type effect, bursting from the soil to impale a foe.

3) Light and sunshine. Concentrate on fire/sun effects, consider a matching PrC (I believe there's one in Libris Mortis, for example). Can go with some nice purifying effects like Magic of the Land.

Really, picking an aspect of the druid to concentrate on can be great fun. A dwarven, gnome, or goliath Earth Dreamer or Stonespeaker? Master the dark side of nature with vermin, decay, poison and disease (bonus points if you can use decomposition, such a fun spell)? A Raptoran Skypledged druid, or if the DM permits it, another race of skypledged (the important part is that you can fly, and pledge yourself to the forces of elemental air)? There are just som many fun options, especially if you aren't concerned with being the most powerful you could be (and frankly, it's not like druids need that much help...)

Keld Denar
2009-08-04, 09:36 AM
Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns

Seriously...why has no one mentioned this spell yet? It IS the druids version of Evard's Black Tenticles, minus the hentai jokes, and the number of encounters this spell can singlehandedly end is staggering. Biggest weakness, similar to EBT, is big creatures with high Str, and anything with FoM or Teleport SLAs. The latter 2 shouldn't be encountered much, and for the former you still have other spells...like Quillblast or Summon Hippogryph Army II, III, and IV. Wall of Thorns is in Spell Compendium.

Me? I'd go Gnome DROOD20

1 SF: Conjouration
3 Augemented Summon
6 Natural Bond (go go gadget Dire Bat!)
9 Quicken Spell
12 Chain Spell
15 Sculpt Spell
18 Improved Toughness????

Alternatively, nab Natural Spell. Wildshape into something small and non-threatening. Screw hand-to-hand combat, use WS to stay AWAY and ARIAL while raining death, destruction, and cleansing fire from the form of a HUMMINGBIRD OF DOOM!

Tempest Fennac
2009-08-04, 09:38 AM
The Sidhe Scholer variant on page 33 of http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf may work froma fluff perspective. (Sadly, CK doesn't seem to list the spells which that class can spontaneously cast).

Zergrusheddie
2009-08-04, 09:51 AM
<Insert statement that Wildshape is teh ownage and ignoring it = 'rouge' with no Sneak Attack> :smallwink:

A casting Druid is very possible. I would still take Natural Spell as it is just amazing and allows you to go Dire Bat for decent defenses and flight and still drop Summons and Battlefield Control spells. Also, who is the BSF going to go try and kill; the Cleric with his Divine Power dropping heals on the party or the squirrel in the background who appears to be doing nothing?
Your Animal Companion could be a War Trained Riding Dog at level 1. At level 7, you can nab a Dire Wolf for a better attacker, though they do have a low AC.

Some spells to look into are the Vigor spells from Complete Divine. They gives Fast Healing for 10 + level rounds, which means they heal more than the Cure line but they are much slower. They are excellent for out of combat healing and with a Lesser Rod of Extend can be highly effective. At level 10, you could use a third level slot to heal 5 people 40 hit points over the course of 40 rounds with a Lesser Rod of Extend. It takes a while, but it is very efficient out of combat.

You may want to stay straight Druid as the bonuses it gives you are just awesome, even if you do not use them. There may be a time where you just wish you could have gone Dire Bear to help the melee classes a little.

Best of luck mate.
-Eddie

Keld Denar
2009-08-04, 10:39 AM
Also, I know they don't come till late, but elemental forms are pretty badass. Elemental immunities are sexy, and going Air or Earth gives you CRAZY mobility. If you had mobile spellcaster as an Earth Elemental, you could pop out of the ground, zap a spell, and sink back into the floor, or a wall, or any other stone surface you can reach. Its essentially untargetablility unless someone is readying. Thats something any other caster would love to have. Air is fun as well for the MASSIVE perfect fly speed.

Like lots of people have said, even if you want to be a purely casting focused druid, don't discount WS. It has just as many defensive perks as offensive, and every caster can appreciate good defenses!

Starscream
2009-08-04, 10:49 AM
At the moment I'm sort of playing a spell focused druid. I gave up Wild Shape and Animal Companion for the Shapeshift variant. It's not nearly as powerful, but much simpler.

I'm mostly focused on summoning. I wanted to do a plant themed character, so I looked for a way to make my summon list reflect that. There is a feat called Greenbound Summoning in one of the Faerun books that turns all your summoned animals into plants. But it is absurdly overpowered so my DM nixed it (I agree, it would have been ridiculous). Instead we agreed on a lesser version of the feat that applies the Woodling template from MM3 instead of the Greenbound template. This works much better.

Leon
2009-08-04, 10:57 AM
Yeah, anyone feeling the need to scream out that wildshape rocks or that it's key for a druid, just quit it. I am perfectly capable of making a potent druid character, this is simply another, if less high-powered, way to go.

Excellent words

Shapeshift Variant from PHB2 gives you decent combat forms and the ability to shift in and out with ease for spell casting

also you could ditch Wildshape for the Hunter variant from Unearthed Arcana

If your not averse to Multiclassing with a arcane class the Arcane Hirophant is a rather nice class (its in Races of the Wild)

Complete Champion has the Holt Warden which is a plant focused PrC that suits Druids quite well

maybe talk with you DM about swapping Wildshape out for some domains (Storm, Earth, plant, animal etc)

Moonspeaker has been mentioned - it is a great PrC if you go the shifter route

Compete Mage has a number of reserve spells that will be useful for a caster type (Storm bolt, Flame blast and Summon Elemental spring to mind)

Stormcaster (Stormwrack) is a Ok prc, its more aimed at arcane casters but a Druid can make a good showing of it

A spell i really like is Bones of the Earth (PHB2) rock pillars burst up where you select dealing damage to creatures in the area that it appears and are permanent, you can use them as the basis for construction of buildings, block off places like caves or ravines make bridges etc.

Animalistic Power (also from PHB2) is another one i like - less powerful than the +4 to Stat range but covers all 3 physical stats in one hit

Eldariel
2009-08-04, 11:08 AM

Sure, but you'll still have the ability; why not use it defensively instead of using spell slots to buff? I figured since you're building a spellcaster Druid, you want to gear all your abilities to support spellcasting and really, Wildshape is a great spellcaster support ability as it makes staying alive quite easy and removes the need for a variety of buffs as you can gain them in different Wildshape-forms instead. Shapeshift is completely worthless by comparison simply because you can't cast while in it so it serves no purpose whatsoever for a Druid not interested in fighting.

And really, there's only so much you can do with a caster Druid; once you have Extend Spell, Sculpt Spell, Quicken Spell, Rapid and Empower Spell, you don't really have worthwhile metamagic left (unless you also start picking metamagic reducers, which is hard for divine casters) meaning you have to focus on some specific types of spells to spend your resources for improving them.

Of course Beads of Karma, Ioun Stone and all CL buffs are given, but you knew that already. Rest all remains on what kinds of spells you want to focus on. Buffs? Save-or-dies? Summoning? "Spellcasting" is not a focus as spells can do anything in this case - you can focus on some type of spells though and gear your selection towards that focus. The problem is, you aren't giving out the information as to what you want here.

Demons_eye
2009-08-04, 11:11 AM
Shifter Druid/Moonspeaker

You were looking for a PrC and Moonspeaker is about the only one thats not either ridiculous or garbage. This works well if you want to focus on spells:

Shifter Druid Racial subs are solid. You can trade away your AC for a built in spirit buff that helps you physically and you can prep extra spells. You can trade away some wildshape for shifting benefits.

Moonspeaker adds more spells to your spell list and allows you to treat metamagic feats as shifter feats augmenting your shifting.

Moonspeakers again Augmented Summoning, Extended Summoning (no adjustment) and extra options of SNA.

+1 I was going to say this but he beat me to it.

Leon
2009-08-04, 11:31 AM
Shapeshift is completely worthless by comparison simply because you can't cast while in it so it serves no purpose whatsoever for a Druid not interested in fighting.

1st Level form gives a movement boost, 5th level form gives flight.

Eldariel
2009-08-04, 11:33 AM
1st Level form gives a movement boost, 5th level form gives flight.

But you cannot cast while using those forms. If you're a caster, that sorta defeats the purpose.

Leon
2009-08-04, 11:42 AM
But you cannot cast while using those forms. If you're a caster, that sorta defeats the purpose.

Your not going to be casting every round of everyday, they offer options in movement, be it tactical or not

Epinephrine
2009-08-04, 11:49 AM

No, it provides you with overland speed, and with the ability to get places by flight. Plus you can still cast a spell and use the forms to get into position to use them (cast Decomposition, then hover over the foes trapped in your Briar Web? Call Lightning, and fly about zapping folks?)

Just because you can't cast in them doesn't mean that they aren't useful. Looking like a dog or a bird is fine for being unnoticed/disregarded. Besides, druids can still fight very effectively in their forms, just not casting - and with shifting as a swift action you can fly, switch forms, and cast. Or cast a spell, switch forms, and fly. Or use the forms to deliver your touch spells.

Eldariel
2009-08-04, 11:49 AM
Your not going to be casting every round of everyday, they offer options in movement, be it tactical or not

Sure, but using something that gives up his option to cast spells seems pretty bad for a focused spellcaster; what if you end up under attack while airborne? Wildshape gives similar movement options, but retains spellcasting capabilities while using the said options given Natural Spell.

At worst, he doesn't use it and at best, he can be a Stormcrow raining down lightning in a crow form over a battlefield or earth elemental transmuting the very ground underneath the adversaries and trapping them inside it or so.

I just don't see a single reason why a focused caster would want to do the trade. It's not like Wildshape is gonna be that broken anyways if not used for combat.

Leon
2009-08-04, 11:57 AM
I just don't see a single reason why a focused caster would want to do the trade.

I conversely don't see a single reason why a Focused caster should keep wildshape

You are firmly attached to your wildshape, I'm firmly not.
The Druid has a great array of options that it can pursue with or without varying features of the class

Keld Denar
2009-08-04, 12:04 PM
I don't see a many reasons why a focused caster should keep wildshape, but I don't see ANY why a focused caster would trade wildshape for the shapeshift variant. If anything, trade it for something like Monk's AC bonus, or a couple domains with domain slots, or the ability to cast summons as a standard action instead of one round. Anything BUT shapeshift variant would make sense.

Epinephrine
2009-08-04, 12:06 PM
I just don't see a single reason why a focused caster would want to do the trade.

Flavour. Maybe you see the druid as a wielder of elemental forces, but NOT as one with innate powers to assume new forms. I certainly was happy to ditch wildshape for my druid, as part of his continuing struggle with himself was to rise above his animal nature.

Eldariel
2009-08-04, 12:29 PM
Flavour. Maybe you see the druid as a wielder of elemental forces, but NOT as one with innate powers to assume new forms. I certainly was happy to ditch wildshape for my druid, as part of his continuing struggle with himself was to rise above his animal nature.

Shapeshift is given the same flavour, just different mechanics. I still don't see what you're trying to accomplish. If Wildshape had an alternative that improved casting, of course the caster would go for it but given that Wildshape actually goes better with casting (since it's possible to cast spells while Wildshaped) than Shapeshift, that seems like a downgrade. You can refluff Shapeshift, but you can refluff Wildshape just the same.

Now, Aspect of Nature (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#wildShapeVariantAspectOfN ature) might just work out. It doesn't conflict with spellcasting and specifically just augments your standard abilities. This variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid) of course trades away Wildshape too, but it's rather bland. Still, if going for Rangerish feel, it could work out.

Epinephrine
2009-08-04, 12:39 PM
Shapeshift is given the same flavour, just different mechanics. I still don't see what you're trying to accomplish. If Wildshape had an alternative that improved casting, of course the caster would go for it but given that Wildshape actually goes better with casting (since it's possible to cast spells while Wildshaped) than Shapeshift, that seems like a downgrade. You can refluff Shapeshift, but you can refluff Wildshape just the same.

Agreed, shapeshift is a weaker version of Wild Shape, it's suboptimal. It does have advantages - not having to track uses, instantaneous switching of forms - no need to figure out how your bear-druid will convey information. Just pop back to human form, tell them, and revert to bear form. It also has (to my mind, at least) a different feel to it - you have a small number of forms that you've learned to take, not simply the ability to reform your body into any animal shape. Works well with a totem animal type theme, where you use the same few animals in your spells and summons.

Now, Aspect of Nature (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#wildShapeVariantAspectOfN ature) might just work out. It doesn't conflict with spellcasting and specifically just augments your standard abilities. This variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid) of course trades away Wildshape too, but it's rather bland. Still, if going for Rangerish feel, it could work out.

Yes, I prefer those for casting druids. Or just making up your own alternate version and passing it by the DM. Giving up Wildshape is a big deal, you should be able to get some little perk for it.

sofawall
2009-08-04, 12:56 PM
Ring of the Beast.

Tempest Fennac
2009-08-04, 01:40 PM
What does that do, sofawall? I agree with Epinephrine's comment about Shapeshifter Druids as well (there is actually a Totem Druid on Crystal Keep which is more focused on 1 type of animal at the expense of other animals).

seedjar
2009-08-04, 01:50 PM
I'm partial to druids, so my opinion may not be especially helpful to you. But, if you want to be "spell focused" then just do what you would do with another caster - take metamagic feats, buy spellcasting equipment, etc. A druid's spell selection is awesome if you're creative with them, and you can dip into several PrCs from Complete Divine for a level or two to add cleric domains to your list. (Plus, how cool is not having to deal with a spellbook?) If you don't like wild shape, you don't have to use it, but from what I've seen there aren't too many spectacularly good magic things you can swap for wild shape. The hunter variant does look good to me, and moonspeaker gets my vote too.
But really, modifying the class to get rid of wild shape may be more trouble than it's worth. If you really don't want it in your character concept, then don't build around it (i.e. don't take natural spell.) I still think there's a powerful argument for natural spell and wild shape in a casting build, however, simply for its utility as a disguise. Even if you didn't get a creature's extraordinary abilities, physical stats - even their movement modes - wild shape would still be useful to a caster because you can look like something other than a caster. (And if druids weren't significantly sturdier than most full casters, you might have a real genuine need for disguise in combat.) Wild shape's duration is top-notch among class abilities, too.
If I were building your character concept, I would just think of wild shape as having a limited shapechange SLA as my contingency plan. (But being me, I'm too badassed to ever need it.)
~Joe

woodenbandman
2009-08-04, 08:43 PM
Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns Wall of Thorns

Seriously...why has no one mentioned this spell yet? It IS the druids version of Evard's Black Tenticles, minus the hentai jokes, and the number of encounters this spell can singlehandedly end is staggering. Biggest weakness, similar to EBT, is big creatures with high Str, and anything with FoM or Teleport SLAs. The latter 2 shouldn't be encountered much, and for the former you still have other spells...like Quillblast or Summon Hippogryph Army II, III, and IV. Wall of Thorns is in Spell Compendium.

Me? I'd go Gnome DROOD20

1 SF: Conjouration
3 Augemented Summon
6 Natural Bond (go go gadget Dire Bat!)
9 Quicken Spell
12 Chain Spell
15 Sculpt Spell
18 Improved Toughness????

Alternatively, nab Natural Spell. Wildshape into something small and non-threatening. Screw hand-to-hand combat, use WS to stay AWAY and ARIAL while raining death, destruction, and cleansing fire from the form of a HUMMINGBIRD OF DOOM!

Just FYI Quill Blast got nerfed down to balanced in the SpC. It used to be a WTF killer of everything.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-08-04, 09:05 PM
I'll agree that trading Wild Shape for a similar yet weaker ability that you can't even cast spells in is very nonsensical. If anything, I'd trade Wild Shape for the Deadly Hunter (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid) variant and get a Dire Eagle companion for a flying mount. There's just not much point to Shapeshifting into a mobile form that completely disables your primary focus when you could Wild Shape into a bird and still cast spells unhindered. There are so many better, useful alternate class features that you could take over Shapeshift, it was only written to be forced on players to make the class less powerful and should never be used voluntarily.

I'd go with a Water Halfling (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#racesOfWater), get a Brixashulty companion from Races of the Wild to use as a mount, then upgrade to a Dire Eagle at level 4.

erikun
2009-08-04, 09:23 PM
Summoning Handbook (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=883099), as it hasn't been mentioned yet, if you're planning on focusing on summons.

Kelpstrand
2009-08-04, 09:45 PM
Jumping in late game, I always like my Druids casting, so I'll mention some stuff:

1) Hey, you Druid, you got entangle at level 1? Yes. Have fun.

Entangle may not be color spray, but it's pretty darn good and holding them down.

2) Kelpstrand. It's not just the name of a Wise and Erudite forumite, it's also th name of an awesome Druid spell. You win at Druiding. Are you a Human Druid who is level 3? What if for a standard action you could grapple at +9 for 3 rounds and spend two of them beating on the flat footed opponet? Are you an evil cheesy Anthro bat? Great! +12. What's the grapple on a level 3 Orc Fighter again? Oh really, +10?

3) Spirit Jaws. Keep one around. It's like a not as good version of Kelpstrand. So why do you have it? Because it grapples shadows and Allips. You know those horror stories about level 5 parties that die to Allip attacks? Now you can just kill one, and then another one two rounds later.

4) Still at level 1 and not sure what else to prepare besides Entangle? Well, you could do 1d6 non lethal in an area and stun for a round. Or how about Aspect of the Wolf. Did you know if you cast it on yourself and share it with your AC Riding Dog your Riding Dog is now a Wolf with more HP?

5) Level 3 and 5 again: Frostburn has a rolling sphere that does cold damage and dex damage on failed save. Take that in your second level slots. Both have a no save no SR level 3 spell that is basically fog cloud +1d6 damage. It's fun.

sofawall
2009-08-04, 09:56 PM
What does that do, sofawall? I agree with Epinephrine's comment about Shapeshifter Druids as well (there is actually a Totem Druid on Crystal Keep which is more focused on 1 type of animal at the expense of other animals).

All SNA spells are cast as the next higher one.

So you can use SNA IV in a 3rd level slot. I don't recall, however, if you can cast SNA IV at level 5, or if you need the ability to cast it normally (you just use a lesser slot). If it's the latter, it's in an errata.

Also, I forget the book. One of the Completes (Divine? Adventurer? One of those I think.)

Leon
2009-08-04, 10:31 PM
Shapeshifts great boon is that you don't have to wait 5 levels to get it, it gives you a speed boost and a combat capable form from the get go.

The OP is starting at level one, ergo its a option that is up for consideration.

For a spell focused druid I'd suggest seeing if you can track down a copy of No Quarter 10 and have a look at the Circle Druid.
Its designed for the Iron Kingdoms setting but it offers a much more focused approach on spell casting.
There are quasi prc's called paths to power that augment the basic druid down specialized paths (they are available from Privateers web site as free downloads)

The class should be able to fit into any normal D&D game with little trouble.
Somethings like changing forms and an animal companion are not part of the core class, they are both in their own path of power

It has its own spell list that includes a few typically arcane spells that fit with a druid like Lightning bolt and Chain Lightning

Shapeshift, it was only written to be forced on players to make the class less powerful and should never be used voluntarily.

Shapeshift may not be as game breakingly powerful as wildshape but its still a very valid class feature.
And it Free's up a feat at 6th level which would otherwise be slaved to wildshape to make it capable of casting spells

olentu
2009-08-04, 10:39 PM
All SNA spells are cast as the next higher one.

So you can use SNA IV in a 3rd level slot. I don't recall, however, if you can cast SNA IV at level 5, or if you need the ability to cast it normally (you just use a lesser slot). If it's the latter, it's in an errata.

Also, I forget the book. One of the Completes (Divine? Adventurer? One of those I think.)

That would be complete champion page 141. It does not allow one to cast a SNA of a level higher then one could normally cast.

Edit: it also does not need a wilding clasp.

Navigator
2009-08-05, 05:48 AM
This may be going in a different direction from what you actually wanted, but if you suck up the Precocious Apprentice feat and just one Wizard level, you get tons of options. You can enter Mystic Theurge at your convenience, and then Arcane Hierophant when you qualify. You'll have 9th level spells in both arcane and divine by 20th level. Since you don't care about the other Druid abilities, and will be missing only one level of casting, I don't see you having much to lose.

Fizban
2009-08-05, 07:07 AM
I just wanted to point out that Wall of Thorns is core, not Spell Compendium. Still awesome, though at 5th level a lot of creatures will have high enough AC to ignore the damage. I'd think of it as a shapeable druidic Solid Fog.

Leon
2009-08-06, 04:00 AM
Pair of Feat idea's

Magic of the Land (Races of the Wild) - Heals recipients of the spells cast in natural settings on a knowledge nature check (or damages undead)
The Check is a free action made when casting the spells so it can be added or not on the fly

Earthbound (PHB2, Metamagic) - Turns a spell into a magic landmine for an hour on the designated location