PDA

View Full Version : I may be working on the nerdiest projects ever.

Talanic
2009-08-04, 10:45 AM
First off - I'm usually working on these while I'm at my job, where I do night shift security. One patrol per hour, and the rest to myself. It's probably just a temporary job (electronic security will be installed in the building later) but it works well for all I have to do; it'd only be better if I had internet while I was there. But I digress; the point of me saying that was, I've been up for about 20 hours right now, and I'm just shooting off a post before bed.

The three major projects in my life so far, in ascending order of how much they're likely to interest people on this board:

1. I'm writing a book. Well, revising a finished science fiction / fantasy book. If you care to learn more, it's in my sig. I always welcome comments and criticism.

2. I'm (kind of) professionally designing an RPG, for author P. C. Hodgell's series. She was one of my college professors, and it's based on verbal agreement, but I've designed a system for her to use from scratch over the summer. Her agent's been through a lot this summer, so I don't have the contract in writing yet, but it's expected any day now. I'm about ready to start alpha playtesting, too...and when we're done, we tentatively plan to release .pdfs for free and use print-on-demand if anyone wants hard copies.

3. My alma mater - responding to my attempt to create a college e-sports league earlier this year - has hired me to give lectures at the university, regarding computer games. I'm to lecture twice at this time (more expected if these go well): Once on types, history, and culture of games, and once "For Parents who don't play, of Children who do." A week after the second lecture, a campus LAN party is scheduled.

So yeah, that's what I'm doing this summer. If you'd like to comment or ask questions about any of those, go right ahead - I'll be checking back in about eight hours.

Trodon
2009-08-04, 10:55 AM
Awesome well good luck on all of that.

bosssmiley
2009-08-04, 12:27 PM
...nerdiest projects ever

Developing radar?
The Manhattan Project?
Cracking Axis cyphers?
The Apollo Project?
Creating the internet?
Building a steam engine? (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4445559.ece)

For someone teaching a parent's guide to computer games you have a remarkably low benchmark standard for nerdiness. :smallwink:

That said. Keep on trucking (http://dbangkero.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/rcrumb-3.jpg) Talanic. :smallbiggrin:

Icewalker
2009-08-04, 01:17 PM
I intend to build a musical tesla coil with a friend. :smallbiggrin:

Sounds like some pretty awesome stuff you've got going there, though. Good job, that, where you have a lot of spare time to yourself to work.

Llama231
2009-08-04, 05:02 PM
I have started, or worked on tons of crazy complicated games, but none of them have finished, most failing out. Usually its because people get bored or forget about it. letsmakeavideogameseesig

So, it really only matters if you can get it done, so good luck! :smallbiggrin:

ghost_warlock
2009-08-05, 02:59 AM
Hm. And I thought the nerdiest project ever involved engineering and building a functional R2-D2 replica with a build-in movie projector that plays only Dr. Who episodes where all the dialogue has been dubbed in Klingon. With an easter-egg TV Tropes commentary track.

Icewalker
2009-08-05, 03:14 AM
Hm. And I thought the nerdiest project ever involved engineering and building a functional R2-D2 replica with a build-in movie projector that plays only Dr. Who episodes where all the dialogue has been dubbed in Klingon.

Throw in Star Trek: The Original Series in elvish and you've got a deal.

Yarram
2009-08-05, 04:50 AM
I have an overweight maths teacher who's worn a skin-tight trekkie suit in public....
He also built a scaled replica of the tardis.

Shades of Gray
2009-08-05, 05:01 AM
Well as far as PROJECTS go, I did have to teach the class for 25 minutes for a project. Topic could be anything that you could relate to SCIENCE.

I chose the science behind superheroes.

Yarram
2009-08-05, 06:20 AM
Well as far as PROJECTS go, I did have to teach the class for 25 minutes for a project. Topic could be anything that you could relate to SCIENCE.

I chose the science behind superheroes.

Heh heh heh... I had one of those once... And I didn't have anything prepared because I forgot about it untill the day it was due, so I went to the fruit bowl, and picked out a cucumber, wrote a speach that describes how they work, and snapped it over my knee in th class so I could point out the little seeds inside it.

Man that was epic. (Coincidently, I got full marks)

InaVegt
2009-08-05, 06:36 AM
I'm working on an Operating System in my spare time.

Helanna
2009-08-05, 08:06 AM
Throw in Star Trek: The Original Series in elvish and you've got a deal.

Hey, if you guys ever actually get something like that built, go ahead and let me know. I want one.

Random832
2009-08-05, 02:12 PM
He also built a scaled replica of the tardis.

Was it bigger on the inside?