PDA

View Full Version : Pride and Prejudice

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-08-15, 10:07 AM
Well here i was just procastinating along on the GitP forums when I thought, why no see if anyone else has read Pride and Prejudice and wanted to share their ideas?

Well as you may have guessed my altieror motive is that i have a talk to give on two minor characters. I need to analyse both

Colonel Fitzwilliam
&
Sir Lucas.

This is for English Lit and if anyone happens to want to help that will be much appriciated, the due date for this is this friday, or since i am from Aussie land next thursday.

Also I don't want to limit this thread to just those two characters, feel free to coment on others as well.

Don Beegles
2006-08-15, 04:22 PM
My biggest comment on teh book would have to be Meh. I didn't dislike it like Mark Twain did (http://www.twainquotes.com/Austen_Jane.html), but I didn't l;ove it like any girl I know who has read it. It didn't really stick very well with me, so I'll need yuo to refresh my memory as to those to characters. Colonel Fitzwilliam is the main 'officer' I recall who is good friends with Lydia and Kittie, right? And I can't remember Sir Lucas at all.

2006-08-15, 06:57 PM
Colonel fitzwilliam is cousin to Mr Darcy and is co-guardian for Darcy's younger sister.

Sir William Lucas, knight, of Lucas Lodge. His daughter marrys Mr Collins.

That should remind you of the characters.

Don Beegles
2006-08-15, 07:51 PM
NO it doesn't sorry. Maybe I should reread it, because evidently it didn't stick as well as I had thought it did.

Starla
2006-08-15, 07:56 PM
Linky: http://www.austen.350.com/pride-prejudice/

There you can read it online.

Those are very minor characters. Rosencranz and Gildenstern at least got to speak.

The first mention of William Lucas is in Chapter 22 when he accepts Mr Collin's proposal to marry Charlotte with "most joyful alacrity"

Although there are 2 more things revealed in that paragraph. He was stricted in obeying social standards than Mr Bennett. His younger daughters were still waiting to come out and the marriage of their older sister meant they could come out sooner. Thus we see that socially they kept to the standard of waiting for the older daughter to get married before allowing younger daughters to come out.

Charlotte does not think very much of men or marriage. This has to be affected partially by how her father and brothers act. I don't know how you would want to interpret it, but I suspect that she believes her parents marriage to be tolerable as her marriage is to Mr Collins.

Poison_Fish
2006-08-15, 08:41 PM
You know.. I have read the book. But all I can recall when thinking about it is a Red Dwarf episode of the robot blowing everyone up in Pride and Prejudice with a tank to tell the rest of the crew that dinner was ready.

eggy_goodness
2006-08-15, 08:49 PM
You know.. I have read the book. But all I can recall when thinking about it is a Red Dwarf episode of the robot blowing everyone up in Pride and Prejudice with a tank to tell the rest of the crew that dinner was ready.

"I SAID SUPPER IS READY!" :)

2006-08-16, 03:41 AM
Linky: http://www.austen.350.com/pride-prejudice/

There you can read it online.

Those are very minor characters. Rosencranz and Gildenstern at least got to speak.

The first mention of William Lucas is in Chapter 22 when he accepts Mr Collin's proposal to marry Charlotte with "most joyful alacrity"

Although there are 2 more things revealed in that paragraph. He was stricted in obeying social standards than Mr Bennett. His younger daughters were still waiting to come out and the marriage of their older sister meant they could come out sooner. Thus we see that socially they kept to the standard of waiting for the older daughter to get married before allowing younger daughters to come out.

Charlotte does not think very much of men or marriage. This has to be affected partially by how her father and brothers act. I don't know how you would want to interpret it, but I suspect that she believes her parents marriage to be tolerable as her marriage is to Mr Collins.

Thank you very much, and as to Red Dwarf, i guess I will now be watching that instead fo doing my homework to find that referace...

:PMaybe i will get extra marks

Starla
2006-08-16, 11:53 AM
In chapter 23 when Sir Lucas goes to the Bennett family to annouce his daughter's engagement he receives astonishment (they believed he was jesting), dismay, and then verbal abuse which he remain courteous throughout. I suspect the courtesy mainly came from his obeying social strictures however considering that he was telling their family was almost a betrayal of their friendship, that their family would become the new heirs to the Bennett's estate, he probably felt he deserved a little berating.

Arian
2006-08-17, 12:46 AM
*poke* Not "Sir Lucas"- either"Sir William Lucas" or "Sir William". He's a baronet.

His wife is correctly called "Lady Lucas", but he has to be given a first name.

(Lady 'Name' Lucas would be the daughter of at least an earl, as Lady Catherine de Bourgh and Lady Anne Darcy were - note that Mr Darcy's father was a gentleman and Sir Lewis de Bourgh a knight, so strictly speaking, their wives were respectively "Lady Anne, Mrs Darcy" and "Lady Catherine, Lady de Bourgh")

--- Re Colonel Fitzwilliam: as the younger son of an Earl, his title was "The Honourable (Name) Fitzwilliam" - though we don't actually know what his first name was. Unlike Mr Darcy's - his first name was Fitzwilliam. :-)