PDA

View Full Version : Spellbooks for Aquatic Creatures

AintThatASeamus
2009-08-04, 12:12 PM
What would a water-dwelling wizard use for a spellbook? Any of the ideas that I've come up with as a replacement for paper, such as inscription on stone or metal, seem like they would be far too cumbersome for a wizard to carry around, even compared to the typical tome.

Any suggestions?

Krrth
2009-08-04, 12:14 PM
What would a water-dwelling wizard use for a spellbook? Any of the ideas that I've come up with as a replacement for paper, such as inscription on stone or metal, seem like they would be far too cumbersome for a wizard to carry around, even compared to the typical tome.

Any suggestions?

As I recall, you can enchant a spellbook to be immune to water damage. TOehr ideas could be waterproof ink on leather, carved runes in leather, wooden sticks, tattoos, paint, and the like.

Mr.Moron
2009-08-04, 12:15 PM
Waterproof Spellbook, 30gp (Planar Handbook pg 71)

EDIT: The wording is such that you might need to go to the surface, to write new entries otherwise it's pretty safe underwater.

Tempest Fennac
2009-08-04, 12:17 PM
I know that a Wizard variant called Anagakoks (page 123 of http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf ) use tree bark to scribe their spells. Underwater Wizards could use stone in a similar way.

Epinephrine
2009-08-04, 12:23 PM
Finely scaled fish-hide? Just pick off the appropriate scales, leaving a lighter coloured pattern. They could be held in a book as well.

Lysander
2009-08-04, 12:24 PM
A spellbook carved into still living sheets of seaweed.

Alejandro
2009-08-04, 12:25 PM
How about seaweed papyrus?

Fixer
2009-08-04, 12:30 PM
Thin metal foil and an embosser bound into a normal (waterproof) binder.

As long as the water doesn't affect the metal (try tin) it is perfectly readable under normal light, underwater, and you can still 'write' in it.

HamsterOfTheGod
2009-08-04, 12:38 PM

Any suggestions?

The materials work for the aquatic wizard and are as common for the aquatic environment as magical materials are for the non-aquatic environmen. The materials cost the same as the regular spellbook, for the aquatic wizard.

What the materials are is just fluff, a spellbook made of X with ink of Y writen using pen of Z fluff. Just some of the possible combinations (some have already been mentioned):

- bound water-proof paper, water-proof ink and a water-proof pen

- seaweed scroll, quid ink, urchin quill

- the broad fin of a certain large fish folded like a fan, ink with fish scale powder, red coral pen

- bound paper thin sheets or rust proof metal, acid based ink, and a gold pen

- a string of shells, ink with gound mother of peal powder, stone stylus

- strips of sharkskin, ink made of sharks blood, written with a shark tooth