PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous undead types?

Epinephrine
2009-08-04, 02:28 PM
I don't have a list of all undead types in my head, but I recall some being created and others being natural.

The party in my campaign have just defeated a pretty tough priest of an evil god of death (Kyuss) and left his body sprawled in the prayer room in which the priest was presiding over bringing an apostle of Kyuss into power with ritual magic. The job isn't finished yet, and the ritual hasn't actually been disrupted, as the party couldn't get through the sphere protecting the dormant Ulgurstasta. They plan to come back the next night.

I was toying with the idea of having the priest become a ghost, trying to ensure that the task he was set be finished, but I'm not sure what other options there are - is there a more fitting spontaneous undead?

Babale
2009-08-04, 02:31 PM
According to the Epic Level Handbook, dead people occasionally come back as Worms that Walk. Gives her a 100 damage Engulf attack on a melle touch attack(!) 300 foot Darksight, and more. It's SRD'd if you care.

Keld Denar
2009-08-04, 02:35 PM
Something like a Revenant or Poltergeist would also be appropriate thematically. I'm pretty sure they are statted up somewhere. Otherwise, ghost is very appropriate. He can TK objects to move them around, or just Magic Jar a body and continue a' ritualin.

Epinephrine
2009-08-04, 02:56 PM
According to the Epic Level Handbook, dead people occasionally come back as Worms that Walk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/wormThatWalks.htm).

Lol, that'd be a bit much. He was CR 12 before death, I think CR 26 might be pushing things :)

Argh, i just realised the priest was a Tiefling, so he's not actually a potential ghost! Is there an equivalent undead-type for dead tieflings?

Edit: Ok, I've got one, a Huecuva. Template from FF, any corporeal divine caster that has failed in its vows. Works for me!

Froogleyboy
2009-08-04, 03:34 PM
Lol, that'd be a bit much. He was CR 12 before death, I think CR 26 might be pushing things :)

Argh, i just realised the priest was a Tiefling, so he's not actually a potential ghost! Is there an equivalent undead-type for dead tieflings?

Native outsiders can become ghost . . .

Epinephrine
2009-08-04, 03:39 PM
Native outsiders can become ghost . . .

Really? SRD says, "'Ghost' is an acquired template that can be added to any aberration, animal, dragon, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, or plant. The creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature) must have a Charisma score of at least 6. "

I'd prefer ghost to huecuva...

Froogleyboy
2009-08-04, 03:49 PM
Read the "native" entry

Epinephrine
2009-08-04, 03:57 PM
Native: A subtype applied only to outsiders. These creatures have mortal ancestors or a strong connection to the Material Plane and can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be. Creatures with this subtype are native to the Material Plane (hence the subtype’s name). Unlike true outsiders, native outsiders need to eat and sleep.

Doesn't specifically say that they can be ghosts, nor specify that they count as humanoids or the like for the purpose of templates, spells, etc...

I can see how one could certainly interpret it as working, though, as being affected by resurrection implies a soul.

bosssmiley
2009-08-04, 04:11 PM
I was toying with the idea of having the priest become a ghost, trying to ensure that the task he was set be finished, but I'm not sure what other options there are - is there a more fitting spontaneous undead?

He's motivated by hatred, vengeance and lust for destruction? That says Spectre to me...

Gerrtt
2009-08-04, 04:15 PM
Even if he is a tiefling, you could just use the rule of plot and say he comes back as a ghost because you said so.