PDA

View Full Version : This Film Is Not Yet Rated

AdInfinitum
2006-08-08, 06:19 PM
Anyone else looking forward to seeing this movie?

There is a link at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMFnFAUhRi0

BelkarsDagger
2006-08-08, 06:27 PM
...Odd trailer for an odd looking movie. I wonder what it's gonna be rated. ::)

Alchemistmerlin
2006-08-08, 08:53 PM
That looks amazingly stupid.

Unfortunately it's going to rake in money because of people who want to "stick it to the man" ::)

Thanks, I'll save my 10 bucks.

AdInfinitum
2006-08-08, 09:17 PM
I don't know. i'd love to see who the members are.

Big_Red_Bird
2006-08-09, 01:03 AM
"You can't say the f-word. It's a facist system." ::)

Mr Croup
2006-08-09, 09:02 AM
I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie. I used to watch far more documentaries than I do now, but I'm definitely interested in this one. I think part of my interest comes from being a film maker. When you look at some of the standards and practices of the MPAA, it really is quite ridiculous. I mean, it's a bit silly that if you say certain words X number of times in a film, you can automatically garner the same rating as showing graphic sexual content. I for one would love to see the MPAA go away of the Comics Code Authority. We just don't need it.

Altair_the_Vexed
2006-08-09, 10:03 AM
Interesting.

Of course, in the UK, we have the BBFC to deal with. They're nice people whom I found very helpful and friendly when I was dealing with them on the release of a DVD.
However, they were once governed by a chap who refused to certificate (i.e. banned) plenty of movies that are now available in supermarkets.

Deckmaster
2006-08-10, 11:34 PM
"You can't say the f-word. It's a facist system." ::)

Actually, I believe that guy says, "I'm going to say the f-word. It's a facist system."

The f-word in question being "facist."

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-08-12, 08:35 PM
It looks interesting. I just wish they'd do one bashing the ESRB though... ;D

Alchemistmerlin
2006-08-13, 10:14 PM
It looks interesting. I just wish they'd do one bashing the ESRB though... ;D

Please, enlighten us as to what is "Oh so awful" about the ESRB? ::)

General Leitmann
2006-08-14, 10:04 AM

Unfortunately it's going to rake in money because of people who want to "stick it to the man" ::)

Wow, and it's good to see you wanna 'break away from the flock' by not seeing this movie. Original. ::)

This movie looks interesting. And I'm going to see it because it looks interesting, not because I want to 'stick it to the man'. Ignoring film because it's not what everyone else is doing is what everyone else is doing, but whatever.

I've seen a preview for this one before, and it'd be neat to see how it works, as I've always wanted to know who was behind forcing great directors *ahem... Kubrick... cough... Tarantino...ahem* to change their work so that they don't get offended.

Bah... whatever. Looks good, and I'm going to see it for a pittance $9.50CDN

Alchemistmerlin
2006-08-14, 10:21 AM
They don't force anyone to change anything. You're free to release your film unrated.

The theaters are the ones who force people, by refusing to show NC17 or unrated movies, and the television stations who refuse to run TV spots.

Tarantino is SO overrated...and he's a prick in real life.

I'm not refusing to see it because everyone else is seeing it, I'm refusing to see it because it looks dumb as (Offensive word deleted!), I merely said that it is unfortunate that this will be successful because of people who "stick it to the man.

Reading comprehension, always your friend.

As I said, I'll be saving my 10 bucks.

Mr Croup
2006-08-14, 11:21 AM
They don't force anyone to change anything. You're free to release your film unrated.

The theaters are the ones who force people, by refusing to show NC17 or unrated movies, and the television stations who refuse to run TV spots.

The theatres are part of the National Association of Theater Owners, which cofounded the rating system with the MPAA, and the organizations have a standing relationship of agreement, as well as sharing members.

The point is not that you can't release your film, but rather you can not get distribution on any large scale without submitting to the MPAA and making sure your film makes it through with an "acceptable" rating.

This makes it harder for film makers that wish to push the envelope to get their vision out to the public in a widespread way. The MPAA also has a history of inconsistency and double standards. One of the issues that keeps cropping up is the bias against gay films. A scene showing the same amount of flesh, the same amount of sexual activity with two men is more likely to recieve a harsher rating than one with a man a woman.

From what I have read, the film is certainly not as comprehensive as it could be, and shows a clear bias. But then, every documentary has some bias. Still, it looks entertaining, and it is a subject which I have some investment in, so I'll be seeing it when I can.

Hamsterboy_14
2006-08-15, 08:48 AM

I don't know about sticking it to the man, but i'd buy it to stick it up the man's ass. Who would actually want to see this.

Mr Croup
2006-08-15, 01:59 PM
I don't know about sticking it to the man, but i'd buy it to stick it up the man's ass. Who would actually want to see this.

I don't know, maybe people interested in documentaries and the film industry? Just a thought.