PDA

View Full Version : Compressed Air is too useful.

AstralFire
2009-08-04, 05:12 PM
I just bought two cans on Saturday and both are almost empty. (I used them concurrently to keep one hand from freezing too much.)

My computer hadn't been cleaned in half a year and I found it useful for cleaning all of the one piece fans we have that can't be taken apart...

Flickerdart
2009-08-04, 05:32 PM
I'm sure the One Piece fans are still enough in their right mind to clean themselves. It's some of those other animes you have to worry about... :smalltongue:

Innis Cabal
2009-08-04, 05:35 PM
I'm sure the One Piece fans are still enough in their right mind to clean themselves. It's some of those other animes you have to worry about... :smalltongue:

You need banned. Your awesomeness has exceeded forum limits and we can't contain you without severe risk to the server load.

AstralFire
2009-08-04, 05:36 PM

Huh? What are you...

http://www.theanteheroes.com/Humor/Wellplayed.jpg
Well played, sir.

http://www.theanteheroes.com/Humor/wellplayed2.jpg
Well. Played.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-04, 05:37 PM
Too useful? You can never get enough compressed air. Just watch Mythbusters.:smallcool:

loopy
2009-08-04, 05:54 PM
Thats right! Compressed air *is* too useful! I demand it be made less so!

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-04, 05:57 PM
I, I, I have no idea what is going on in this thread.

Like, at all.

I can't even work out the original post, let alone the anime referance...

Help me...

kpenguin
2009-08-04, 05:59 PM

Also, I'm quite sure you can take apart a One Piece fan... quite... easily...

AstralFire
2009-08-04, 06:00 PM
I, I, I have no idea what is going on in this thread.

Like, at all.

I can't even work out the original post, let alone the anime referance...

Help me...

I bought two cans of compressed air on Saturday. They're empty half a week later because I keep finding hard-to-clean things that they can, in fact, seriously help clean. I was complaining about the fact that it's too useful, meaning I never have it on hand more than a month.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-08-04, 06:06 PM
I bought two cans of compressed air on Saturday. They're empty half a week later because I keep finding hard-to-clean things that they can, in fact, seriously help clean. I was complaining about the fact that it's too useful, meaning I never have it on hand more than a month.You can buy cans of compressed air? OK, I can see how that works. Or at least how one might make and use them. But how about the anime referances? How did that happen?

Faulty
2009-08-04, 06:07 PM
I think in an episode of Burn Notice, Michael and Fiona used compressed air and a hammer to break into a storage unit.

AstralFire
2009-08-04, 06:12 PM
You can buy cans of compressed air? OK, I can see how that works. Or at least how one might make and use them. But how about the anime referances? How did that happen?

I was using them to clean the fans we have around the house that are made of one piece/large piece plastic molds that aren't meant to be taken apart outside of the factory, and thus can't be disassembled to be cleaned like a traditional fan can.

I said 'one piece fan'. Trust me, I was confused at first by the anime discussion switcharoo too.

Recaiden
2009-08-04, 06:18 PM
Is it at all reasonable to get your own air compressor?

thubby
2009-08-04, 06:39 PM
Is it at all reasonable to get your own air compressor?

depends on how big/expensive it is. my car came with a relatively wimpy one...

Boo
2009-08-04, 06:45 PM
You know it's too useful when you can use it to break into peoples homes and kill them.

Catch
2009-08-04, 06:50 PM
depends on how big/expensive it is. my car came with a relatively wimpy one...

This (http://www.gizmag.com/compressed-air-car-set-for-us-launch-in-2010/8896/) car runs on one.

skywalker
2009-08-04, 06:51 PM
You need banned. Your awesomeness has exceeded forum limits and we can't contain you without severe risk to the server load.

+1

I think in an episode of Burn Notice, Michael and Fiona used compressed air and a hammer to break into a storage unit.

I've always wondered whether this was actually possible...

Milskidasith
2009-08-04, 06:52 PM
Mythbusters uses compressed air as much as, if not more than, they use sheer force of awesome and high explosives. It is awesome.

horngeek
2009-08-04, 10:19 PM
Thank you for nearly killing me from laughing.

That's the best pun I've ever heard.

Jack Squat
2009-08-04, 11:11 PM
I've always wondered whether this was actually possible...

It's possible...holding the can upside down cools down the metal fast and enough to make it fairly brittle. Liquid nitrogen would probably work better, and isn't exactly hard to come by.

AstralFire
2009-08-04, 11:33 PM
I have cryogenically frozen ants alive with upside down compressed air.

Ten cans.

Building infested. No pesticide.

Freeze ants. Pick up off the wall with duct tape. Light duct tape on fire in trashbin with roommate's Axe spray and a lighter. Any that I missed picking up with the tape actually would start moving again after a half-hour or so to thaw.

Ants lost interest in coming to my room much faster than anyone else's on the floor. I wonder why. (Also I made sure to destroy their scent trail through my room utterly.)

Zuki
2009-08-04, 11:51 PM
How do you take out an ant scent trail? I'd read before that was a useful thing to do when you've got problems with them, but I hadn't followed up.

...Also, yeah, I can totally see you doing that to ants.

Player_Zero
2009-08-04, 11:53 PM

Right mind you say?

Recaiden
2009-08-04, 11:54 PM
Right mind you say?

You lent that part to Rutskarn, remember? That's why he writes stories and you do maths.

AstralFire
2009-08-05, 12:02 AM
How do you take out an ant scent trail? I'd read before that was a useful thing to do when you've got problems with them, but I hadn't followed up.

...Also, yeah, I can totally see you doing that to ants.

Scented soap.

Keld Denar
2009-08-05, 12:10 AM
Compressed air + flying insects = HOURS OF ENTERTAINMENT!

lulz ^ n

Mr. Mud
2009-08-05, 03:33 PM

I was actually just thinking about that. Any truth in this?

Jack Squat
2009-08-05, 08:41 PM
I was actually just thinking about that. Any truth in this?

I may test this with actual padlocks tomorrow. It works in theory. As I posted above, all you need to do is get the metal brittle enough.

Anyone have a clip of the scene in question? I'm assuming it's against a normal keyed master lock and you use a can of compressed air (upside-down) and a normal claw hammer.

TheThan
2009-08-05, 08:48 PM
I've got an air compressor for such jobs. though it doesn't get cold enough to do anything cool like cryogenicly freeze ants.

hehe i made a funny

Jack Squat
2009-08-07, 06:34 PM
I may test this with actual padlocks tomorrow. It works in theory. As I posted above, all you need to do is get the metal brittle enough.

Anyone have a clip of the scene in question? I'm assuming it's against a normal keyed master lock and you use a can of compressed air (upside-down) and a normal claw hammer.

OK, so I just tested this, and on both locks I tried (Masterlock), the end result was them being cut off by bolt cutters. The pins inside are shattered, and the lock itself is frozen up, but it still hung on the latch. On one attempt, I even heated the lock beforehand with a blowtorch to make the contraction more pronounced.

IMO, this is the MacGyver effect; It's sound in theory (get a metal cold enough, fast enough, and it becomes brittle), but as portrayed in the show (using liquid compressed air), isn't possible. Not at all surprising, as they can't actually show you how to open up a padlock without leaving a mark.

Besides, if you can be somewhere with a hammer and not be questioned, you'll be able to use padlock shims (http://www.lockpickshop.com/SPS-20.html)1.

1This advice is meant for legal use only, such as if you lost your key or forgot your combination2.

2I've done both of these more than once.

orchitect
2009-08-07, 06:40 PM
Compressed air is the best air you can get in a can.

Just don't take your computer to the gas station and use the air pump. That's BAD compressed air; its not even in a can!

AstralFire
2009-08-07, 06:41 PM
That really made me laugh more than it should have, orchitect.

Thanks for testing that, Jack. I doubted it would work, but it's nice to know for sure.

Crispy Dave
2009-08-07, 06:44 PM
Ok so i'm failing as a computer geek today becuase when I heard compressed air the first thing I though of was Paintball.

BisectedBrioche
2009-08-07, 07:16 PM
Funny story; while I was still in college (in Britain that's the 2 years of school you go through before university and the first non-compulsary stage of education) I was in Maplin with my mother (I was heling her with the shopping) and mentioned I needed to get some canned air.

She though I was trying to sneak of on a snipe hunt.

Nerocite
2009-08-07, 07:48 PM
I use an air compressor. Make my own canned air!