PDA

View Full Version : Handy tools for an investigator? [D&D 3.5]

13_CBS
2009-08-04, 06:53 PM
I'm playing a level 3 Urban Ranger, and I'm RPing him as an urban tracker, investigator, and all-around detective/police dude. I've got 2700 gold to spend for him, so what are some magic items/tools to help him do his job a bit better? Handy items include skill bonuses to Gather Information and such, and things to otherwise facilitate tracking and investigating.

Aethir
2009-08-04, 07:27 PM
Inquisitive's Kit - 300GP

Grants a +4 circumstance bonus to Search checks to investigate the scene of a crime or mystery.

edit: Mind you, you might need the Investigate general feat from ECS for the search check itself it to be allowed, though at least one DM I've played with has ignored this for flavor in the past so ymmv.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-04, 07:29 PM
Heh. When I saw this thread, my first thought was "Hey, I should direct 13_CBS here.":smallamused:

AstralFire
2009-08-04, 07:38 PM
At least one Elixir of Truth, for sure. Even if it fails, as the caster you know that it did - and just the fact that you have a way of truthtelling, even if it fails, can be useful. If someone knows you gave them a truth serum but don't know that you know it didn't succeed, then you can have fun with their misinformation.

Harperfan7
2009-08-04, 10:50 PM
Tanglefoot bags

MW manacles with amazing lock (adamantine as soon as possible - maybe even some that include the legs/bind fingers/muffle speech)

Flash pellets (from tome & blood)

Do Urban Rangers get Hold Person? Hold Person wand.

A dog companion that knows how to grab and hold people.

A mithril shirt (you can wear it under your clothes) - basically a bullet proof vest.

13_CBS
2009-08-05, 08:15 AM
Inquisitive's Kit - 300GP

Grants a +4 circumstance bonus to Search checks to investigate the scene of a crime or mystery.

edit: Mind you, you might need the Investigate general feat from ECS for the search check itself it to be allowed, though at least one DM I've played with has ignored this for flavor in the past so ymmv.

ECS...is that an Eberron book? I'm playing in a custom setting, so I'm not sure if setting-specific books will work. But thanks the idea anyway.

Any other equipment I should know about?