PDA

View Full Version : Victoria: An Empire Under The Sun

Dewey
2009-08-04, 08:15 PM
So, is anyone else around here a fan of Victoria? I've been playing for about a year, and I enjoy it a lot (now that I've learned how it works).

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-08-04, 08:53 PM
I would be a fan, but I can't find a copy. I play other Paradox games though, and they make very good games.

Dewey
2009-08-04, 09:00 PM
I'm afraid I can't give you advice on how to get a copy, I got mine from a friend who told me about it.

Alex Knight
2009-08-04, 10:39 PM
Play it, love it, as well as the Hearts of Iron games.

Current goal: How best to screw over America in Victoria so that when I translate over to HoI, it's a real challenge to conquer the world. :smallcool:

Alex Knight
2009-08-04, 10:40 PM
I would be a fan, but I can't find a copy. I play other Paradox games though, and they make very good games.

Y'know that you can buy a digital copy from Gamer's Gate and download directly to your computer, right?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-08-07, 01:50 PM
Yeah. I'm just wary about most game downloads.

Alex Knight
2009-08-07, 02:51 PM
Yeah. I'm just wary about most game downloads.

I've downloaded it three times to two different computers. No issues.

Saithis Bladewing
2009-08-07, 07:15 PM
Victoria's economy is a beast to get used to. Can be a good game though.

Gamersgate is very good about downloads. Similar to Stardock, they tend to trust the customer.

Dewey
2009-08-07, 09:31 PM
Yeah, I can't agree more. for the first few months I had the game, I basically ignored the economy and focused on the military. It was fun, but my playing has matured and improved by a tremendous amount lately, and the game is a lot more rewarding for it.

Om
2009-08-09, 08:40 AM
Big Vicky fan here. Perhaps its just the period but it is my favourite of the Paradox games. Focusing on industrialisation and shaping your population is far more entertaining, for myself, than simply setting out to conquer the world. My favourite nations to play would be Mexico and the Papal States - two very interesting scenarios

I'd second the recommendation for GamersGate. That's where I got the game and I've had no problems. The game itself is small enough (and lacking copy protection) that you can simply download it and save it on your computer forever. Plus its a much better service than Impluse

Besides, I don't think the expansion pack Revolutions is available in hard copy. For anyone who has the game, I'd highly recommend this as an expansion as something that really adds to the fundamental gameplay. Now if we can just get a sequel...

Current goal: How best to screw over America in Victoria so that when I translate over to HoI, it's a real challenge to conquer the worldMy favoured strategy, while playing as Mexico, is to first survive the Big Blue Blob and then capitalise on the ACW to support the Confederates. If you play it right you'll end up with an uneasy three way split in North America (ignoring Canada) with Mexico and the CSA beating off repeated USA challenges before the whole continental settles down along highly fortified borders

Should make an interesting HoI scenario but I've not great confidence in the Revolutions converter. There may be better fan made ones out there

Alex Knight
2009-08-09, 05:02 PM
Should make an interesting HoI scenario but I've not great confidence in the Revolutions converter. There may be better fan made ones out there

My last attempt was using England to carve up America into the USA, CSA, New England, California, and Pacific Northwest countries, only to find out that the HoI convertor didn't recognize several of those nations, and gave them back to the US :(

Om
2009-08-10, 10:52 AM
My last attempt was using England to carve up America into the USA, CSA, New England, California, and Pacific Northwest countries, only to find out that the HoI convertor didn't recognize several of those nations, and gave them back to the US :(That's particularly bad but even if the borders had been right the IC and resources still would have been ridiculously out of synch. I suspect that the most accurate way to convert games would be to manually create a new scenario for HoI (should be much easier in HoI3) based on your Vicky game