PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard help

SolkaTruesilver
2009-08-04, 09:28 PM
Hello Everyone!

My motherboard fried, so has the processor. I need to buy a new one. I have spare RAM (4gb), a recent video card (*cough* bought in february) and about 1300 gb of hard drive, which is why I'd rather just buy the material than a complete new computer.

I'Ve been to www.motherboard.com, but I can't make head or tail of their system.

I am a somewhat reasonable gamer, and I don't really ask for the moon. Any suggestion for a reliable motherboard + processor deal around, one that is efficient, lasting and is sold on a pretty good deal?

Isak
2009-08-04, 09:32 PM
Three important things to ask, other wise you may end up needing to buy a whole new set of RAM, a new video card, and new hard drives.

What type of RAM is it? DDR? DDR2? The specific number will be most helpful. (PC2700, 3200, 5400, etc)

What is the bus type of the Video Card? AGP? PCI? PCI-E? http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/6459/pcxslotspp2.gif

What type of Hard Drive is it? IDE or Sata? IDE is a longer ribbon cable, where-as Sata is two smaller cables.

*Edit*

As far as finding a CPU/Mobo... Once we figure out what type you need...

This (http://www.newegg.com/Store/ComboDeals.aspx?ComboStoreID=1&name=CPUs-Motherboards) link will be your best friend.

SolkaTruesilver
2009-08-04, 09:41 PM
I will be back soon with the information you might require...

thubby
2009-08-05, 12:48 AM
motherboards are a pain in the butt, but consider me an extra set of eyes
/autosubscribe to thread

Hunter Noventa
2009-08-05, 07:53 AM
Once you have the data I highly suggest checking out www.newegg.com as they have major brands, reviews and good pricing and return policies.

I would suggest and ASUS Motherboard, it's what I've got now and I've had no problems with it. If you use newegg, you can select what you've got and it'll show you all the compatible motherboards.

Ashtar
2009-08-05, 08:28 AM
I'd need age and type of the old motherboard and processors so that we can know what generation of computer were are talking of.

I recently had a motherboard /processor die under me and got a Intel Q9550 with a small Asus motherboard to replace it. Of course I still had to change the ram and the power supply after that. :smallsigh:

The 4 core is a solid upper mid range, not the latest tech, but nice on the performance / price curve.

Lupy
2009-08-05, 12:41 PM
I would actually go Phenom II right now over Core 2 Quad... *ducks and hides*

I'll support Intel again if i5 is good and reasonably priced.

I'd go for an AMD Phenom II X2 545 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103694), it's cheap and powerful for a dual core processor.

SolkaTruesilver
2009-08-05, 08:45 PM
I'd need age and type of the old motherboard and processors so that we can know what generation of computer were are talking of.

My processor was a dual-core athlon 2.4 GHz, and the motherboard was an ASUS. I bought them all 2 years ago.

I learned today that my PC is in the office of somebody who left for their vacations for 3 weeks. Arrrgggg...