PDA

View Full Version : Tri... wand... thing...

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-08-05, 02:06 AM
A friend of mine and I are both baffled, scouring books and unable to find it. It probably doesn't help that we don't remember what it's called. All we know is what it does. A device that can be fitted with three wands, and using it allows you to use each wand simultaneously in the same action but it expends 3 charges from each wand.

Can anyone help me out?

RTGoodman
2009-08-05, 02:08 AM
It's the rod of many wands, and I believe it's in an Eberron book, Complete Scoundrel, and/or Magic Item Compendium.

EDIT: Aha, Google to the rescue. It's actually in CMage, pg. 128.

Maerok
2009-08-05, 02:11 AM
That seems like the machine gun equivalent of a wand pistol...

Myatar_Panwar
2009-08-05, 02:15 AM
Is there actually some kind of wand pistol variant? I am in the process of making a wand-slinging badass, and need everything I can get.

Maerok
2009-08-05, 02:20 AM
Well, you could use a magic missile wand as a pistol. Or one of fireball. That works too.

RTGoodman
Is there actually some kind of wand pistol variant? I am in the process of making a wand-slinging badass, and need everything I can get.

SilverClawShift and some others have a setting called The Dustlands which is sort of a fantasy western world. Part of that is a little item called the spellshot pistol (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3203504&postcount=97), which, though not really a "wand pistol" is nonetheless pretty awesome. The Iron Kingdoms setting, I believe, also has a gunmage class that uses some sort of magic gun thing, but I don't know much more than that.

Of course, to be a real wand-slinger, you really just need to pick the Artificer class and go to town - they can do RIDICULOUS stuff with wands.

Doc Roc
It's okay. Expensive in practice. You'll want wand surge.

IK has some... incredible options for this. Unfortunately Gun Mage is a tier 3 class.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-08-05, 02:23 AM
Well, you could use a magic missile wand as a pistol. Or one of fireball. That works too.

Well, that is the plan. I figured you were talking about some obscure wand variant, probably found in some issue of dragon magazine.

edit: and yeah, hes full artificer. Warforged with a pair of sunglasses and trench coat, suckin on a lollypop. And when he removes those sunglasses? You just discover that his eyes are also sun glasses. Awww yeahhhhh.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-08-05, 02:28 AM
Okay, I found it. It was in Complete Mage.:smallbiggrin:

Maerok
2009-08-05, 02:37 AM
Well, that is the plan. I figured you were talking about some obscure wand variant, probably found in some issue of dragon magazine.

edit: and yeah, hes full artificer. Warforged with a pair of sunglasses and trench coat, suckin on a lollypop. And when he removes those sunglasses? You just discover that his eyes are also sun glasses. Awww yeahhhhh.

Sup dawg, I heard you like wands so I put three rods of many rods in a rod of rods of many wands so you can fire a rod that fires rods while you fire rods that fire wands.

In SWSE, I believe it's called that the Deathstar.

Skorj
2009-08-05, 02:39 AM
You'll be wanting to read the Dakka Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118802&highlight=dakka)right about now (there's also an earlier thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110162&highlight=dakka)not focused on the three-wands-thingy). Much fun to be had here.

Fizban
2009-08-05, 07:26 AM
Note that that dakka thread focuses pretty much entirely on a broken feat from the dragonlance setting, which doesn't come up nearly as often as forgotten realms or eberron. It pretty much has it's own vacuum.

For Dakka, you want first of all the artificer infusion Metamagic Item, choosing to add Twin Spell. It only lasts one round/level, and you'll probably have to take the wands out, but if you can cast it on all of them before loading them up you'll have 6 shots per round. With three rounds to cast and three more rounds to load you'll only have CL-6 rounds to blast, but if you're packing enough heat that should be all the time you need.

Alternatively you can use Double Wand Wielder, and combine Metmagic Item, Metamagic Spell Trigger, Metamagic Wand Grips, Quicken Spell, Twin Spell, and Repeat Spell for just about the biggest missile storm ever. That's three wand activations (double wand+quickened wand) for 2 effects each, and another 2 effects on the next turn, or 12 effects over 2 turns. You can get around the need for quickening with Dragon Prophesier+Prophecy's Artifex, which will basically give you a rage that lets you quicken a wand you've personally made at will while the rage lasts.

KillianHawkeye
2009-08-05, 07:37 AM
Warforged with a pair of sunglasses and trench coat, suckin on a lollypop. And when he removes those sunglasses? You just discover that his eyes are also sun glasses. Awww yeahhhhh.

That's pretty awesome, but why does he have a lollipop? :smallconfused:

Sliver
2009-08-05, 07:44 AM

So I was the only one that thought Myatar wants to throw (or shoot) wands at others?

MickJay
2009-08-05, 07:44 AM
That's pretty awesome, but why does he have a lollipop? :smallconfused:

Before your time, kid, before your time... :smallbiggrin:

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-05, 08:39 AM
That seems like the machine gun equivalent of a wand pistol...

Not really. It's closer to a mini-Rocket Launcher. Kinda like this:

http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/3862/images/trirocket.jpg

DragoonWraith
2009-08-05, 08:43 AM
Sinfire, I love you for that. That game is awesome.

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-05, 08:57 AM
Sinfire, I love you for that. That game is awesome.

I wish they would put it on the Wii...

Deth Muncher
2009-08-05, 01:01 PM
You'll be wanting to read the Dakka Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118802&highlight=dakka)right about now (there's also an earlier thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110162&highlight=dakka)not focused on the three-wands-thingy). Much fun to be had here.

Hey, I was wondering whatever happened to those. Thanks for that.

BillyJimBoBob
2009-08-05, 01:30 PM
edit: and yeah, hes full artificer. Warforged with a pair of sunglasses and trench coat, suckin on a lollypop. And when he removes those sunglasses? You just discover that his eyes are also sun glasses. Awww yeahhhhh.He removes the sunglasses? Kind of a Kojak/Caine mash-up, eh?

I can see it now:

Who loves ya, baby? <Removes the sunglasses> *YYYEEEAAAAHHHHHHH!*

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-05, 03:25 PM
only problem with the rod of many wands is that it burns up charges quickly... like an extra three charges per shot per wand if you've got all three in there. Gets very expensive very quickly.

Best way to play a gun-mage? Warlock with Chaucible of Fell Power +2d6 and a Rod of Magical Precision shaped like a pistol. Unlimited ammo, very accurate firing, all day long.

The Demented One
2009-08-05, 06:24 PM
You seem to have made a small typo there. It's actually spelled 'ROW! ROW! FIGHT THE POWER!" :smallwink:

Eldariel
2009-08-05, 06:53 PM
only problem with the rod of many wands is that it burns up charges quickly... like an extra three charges per shot per wand if you've got all three in there. Gets very expensive very quickly.

Best way to play a gun-mage? Warlock with Chaucible of Fell Power +2d6 and a Rod of Magical Precision shaped like a pistol. Unlimited ammo, very accurate firing, all day long.

I don't know, Artificer works too. You can use cheap wands like Wand of Lesser Orb of Acid - as an Artificer, you get them basically from a conveyer belt with all the appropriate feats with little dent to your overall WBL.

And you can use Metamagic Spell Trigger to burn through 'em for big shots along with Metamagic Item for some free buff. Not infinite ammo, but very impressive shots. As a bonus, when something really dangerous shows up, you can pick up your Silver Pistol (Wand of Scorching Ray/Enervation/Orb of Force/Orb of Fire) and go to town for some truly remarkable damage.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-05, 07:08 PM
He removes the sunglasses? Kind of a Kojak/Caine mash-up, eh?

I can see it now:

Is it bad that I heard Hellboy's voice when I read that? Big, inhuman thing, wears shades... shoots people...