PDA

View Full Version : Question about Binder Class

feyanor
2009-08-05, 09:19 AM
Hi,
I just want to make sure I understand the rules correctly :).
When taking the first Level of the Binder class I can make a Pact with a vestige... Since I'm reading this for a Hellfire Warlock build let's assume Naberius.
After making the Pact(Assuming a succesful check) I can:
at will use Disguise Self without verbal or somatic component,
I heal ability damage at 1 point per attribute per round,
and I can use the persuasive voice and silver tongue powers.
Did I understand this right?
Sry If the question sounds foolish, but I don't know anyone who ever played a binder ...

kamikasei
2009-08-05, 09:27 AM
When you bind a vestige, you get all the powers that vestige grants. Most will be continuous or at-will, yes. I can't look up whether your list is accurate right now, but there wouldn't be any powers listed under Naberius' description that you couldn't use.

You get those abilities whether or not you succeed at the check. If you meet the special requirements (if any), you can bind the vestige and never fail. The check determines whether the vestige influences you.

feyanor
2009-08-05, 09:30 AM
Wow that was fast!
Thank you very much =)

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-05, 09:30 AM
You don't even need a successful Binding check. Attempting to use the Soul Binding class feature of the Binder is automatic, the check is to see if you can ignore the side-effects of binding them and hide their signs (if you are 2nd level). If you don't care about the penalties, you can completely ignore the check and influence.

But you do get all of the granted abilities. The only reason you wouldn't get all of them is if you took the feats instead of the level dip, in which case you would be restricted to a specific ability or two. The Bind Vestige feats suck.

Edit: ninja'ed.

kamikasei
2009-08-05, 09:37 AM
But you do get all of the granted abilities. The only reason you wouldn't get all of them is if you took the feats instead of the level dip, in which case you would be restricted to a specific ability or two. The Bind Vestige feats suck.

And note that for a Hellfire Warlock build, the Bind Vestige feat won't get you the ability damage mitigation that you want Naberius for, so you do need to take that level.

So yeah, welcome to time-sharing your soul! (Is it a step up or a step down from selling it?)

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-05, 09:40 AM
And note that for a Hellfire Warlock build, the Bind Vestige feat won't get you the ability damage mitigation that you want Naberius for, so you do need to take that level.

So yeah, welcome to time-sharing your soul! (Is it a step up or a step down from selling it?)

So you split your soul 95/5? Which part?

feyanor
2009-08-05, 09:45 AM
I think it's very strong for a 1 LVL dip and on top of that, it is extremly cool for any Warlock from a Roleplaying point of view.

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-05, 09:50 AM

95% Vestige, 5% Essentia.

Alternatively, 95% real estate, 5% yours.

Kaiyanwang
2009-08-05, 10:22 AM

Step down. Step up is outsourcing.

jeek
2009-08-05, 10:42 AM
95% Vestige, 5% Essentia.

Alternatively, 95% real estate, 5% yours.

That last 5% is usually just backwash, anyways.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-05, 11:04 AM

Alternatively, Shape Soulmeld: Strongheart Vest.

But that's cheesy.

Hyozo
2009-08-05, 11:09 AM

Not quite, you'r forgetting the part he already sold to the devils. (Or whatever else, but hellfire warlock implies devils)

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-05, 11:13 AM
Not quite, you'r forgetting the part he already sold to the devils. (Or whatever else, but hellfire warlock implies devils)

Actually, I assumed 95% went to the devils and 5% to the vestige. I was just wondering what bits of his soul went where. Who would rather have his love for poetry and flowers?

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-05, 11:25 AM
Alternatively, Shape Soulmeld: Strongheart Vest.

But that's cheesy.

And tasty cheese, at that. WHo says cheese can't have flavor?

feyanor
2009-08-05, 02:38 PM
Hmm can you take 10 on the check to bind the vestige(binder lvl + charisma + d20)?

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-05, 02:42 PM
Hmm can you take 10 on the check to bind the vestige(binder lvl + charisma + d20)?

If it were a Charisma or Skill check, yes. But it isn't, so no.

NEO|Phyte
2009-08-05, 03:00 PM
Actually, I assumed 95% went to the devils and 5% to the vestige. I was just wondering what bits of his soul went where. Who would rather have his love for poetry and flowers?

Technically speaking, NONE of his soul goes to the vestiges, they bind to him, not the other way around. The idea is that they miss reality enough that they hitch rides on peoples' souls to be able to experience it.