PDA

View Full Version : Spells useful well past their own level

DragoonWraith
2009-08-05, 09:56 AM
So I'm playing my own Cerebremancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120106), with Sorc 1/Psion 3 entry. I'm currently level seven, meaning I have the casting of a 3rd level Sorcerer (CL 5) and a 6th level Psion (Telepath, ML 7). So I need spells that A. aren't replaced by my Psionics, and B. are useful despite getting them much later than I would otherwise. I still lose another two levels of Sorcerer casting (at 9 and 12), so I can be up to six levels behind (possibly more depending on what I do after Cerebremancer), so they definitely need to be things that last.

Any suggestions? I currently have Summon Monster I, Ray of Enfeeblement, and Detect Secret Doors, as well as Protection from Evil from the Celestial Sorcerer Heritage feat. Any sources are fine, though SRD is preferred.

Moved to Roleplaying Forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120614), where it belongs.

Jair Barik
2009-08-05, 10:02 AM
Cheat and ectoplasmic armour perhaps? Also you could take summon undead 1 as opposed to summon monster 1 if you wanted

RMS Oceanic
2009-08-05, 10:21 AM
Since this is the homebrew forum:

Cheap And Broken Wish
Sorceror/Wizard 1, Cleric 1, Paladin 1, Ranger 1, Druid 1, Bard 0
Universal
Range: Varies
Effect: Varies
Target: Varies
Save: Varies
Spell Resistance: Yes
This spell functions exactly like Wish, except you don't have to pay any XP for its effects.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-08-05, 10:28 AM
Grease: No save DC, just a flat balance check. Most things aren't trained in balance.
Obscuring Mist: Great for remaining unseen, and isn't easily disposed of without dispel magic. Note that even true seeing doesn't bypass it, as the mist is really there.
Scorching Ray: A very powerful 2nd level spell that retains its use pretty well.
Glitterdust: Invisibility? No problem.
Wind Wall: 20th level archer? Eh. Immaterial. Poison gas? Not your problem.
Major Image/Silent Image/Images in general: Illusions are limited only by your own creativity. Will negates (interaction) can mean that your enemy realizes the floor is fact only once he's interacted with it...meaning he's either scouting across the corridor staring intently at the floor, or currently falling 60 feet into a pit of lava cunningly covered by silent image.
Blink: You may not hit me. Your spells may not hit me. I can walk through walls. There's nothing you can do about it.

There are more, of course, but this is from Core, spell levels 1-3. Even then there are more, but someone else is probably better versed in this stuff.

DragoonWraith
2009-08-05, 05:49 PM
Since this is the homebrew forum
...oops.

Any good way to have the thread to be moved?

Anyway, thanks Djinn. Jair, I'm not quite sure what you mean. I'm pretty comfortable with the spells I currently have, but I'm wondering what would be particularly good choices going forward.

jmbrown
2009-08-05, 06:01 PM
There's a feat in complete arcane (or was it mage?) that gives you +4 caster levels that cannot exceed your HD. In other words, multiclass spell casters are no longer ganked because they stopped focusing in their spell casting area.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-05, 06:07 PM
There's a feat in complete arcane (or was it mage?) that gives you +4 caster levels that cannot exceed your HD. In other words, multiclass spell casters are no longer ganked because they stopped focusing in their spell casting area.

Practiced spellcaster- a staple for gish or otherwise multiclassed characters. CArc, I believe. There's also a practiced manifester in CPsi, that does the same for manifesting level- much more useful in the latter case, as manifester level is supremely important.

Krazddndfreek
2009-08-05, 06:13 PM
sorc heritage feats seem kinda useless to me. You have to waste your spell slots to have a weaker-that-a-spell spell-like effect.

I'll try to say ones that haven't been said before. Darkness, strike that, anything that gives concealment. 50% chance of being hit is always very nice. Enlarge person is great, your frontliners get reach and cover up four squares, and get a strength bonus. If you can, Overwhelm (PHB2) is oh so nice on those brutish ones with no will saves.

DragoonWraith
2009-08-05, 06:24 PM
Am aware of Practiced Spellcaster/Manifester (they're specifically accounted for in my Cerebremancer, which gives a similar effect but +2 to each, specifically stacking with both feats). The campaign is actually set in a world with no magic, just psionics, so my Sorcerer is a complete anomaly, and cannot get any magic training - hence, she's way behind where a normal Sorcerer would be. Part of this has been a conscious decision not to take Practiced Spellcaster. We'll see how that goes. I may take it at level 9 (oh, and we're using Pathfinder-esque feat rules, so every odd level instead of every third).

Anyway, thanks to everyone for suggestions. Any thoughts on getting the thread moved? I had thought I was posting in Roleplaying, but I was posting as I was heading out the door, soooo....

sorc heritage feats seem kinda useless to me. You have to waste your spell slots to have a weaker-that-a-spell spell-like effect.
Celestial Sorcerer Heritage gives a free spell known. Worth a feat to me. Also, Celestial Sorcerer Lore gives three free spells known, which is nice - not sure it's worth the fact I need to take two more Celestial Sorcerer feats (Lance, at least, looks half-decent... why the Wings have such ridiculously short duration, I cannot understand. The Aura would have been decent at level 1, I suppose, maybe...)

EDIT: Moved to Roleplaying Forums (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120614), where it belongs. Moderators, feel free to lock/move/merge/ignore this thread, whatever is appropriate by the rules.