Talic
2009-08-05, 01:40 PM
Buff rounds?

Map:
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z123/TheChilliGod/Giantitp/Arena2i.gif

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-05, 01:47 PM
All-days plus 3 sounds good.

I'd like a level of light that I can HiPS in, if that's ok.

I didn't expect this when I agreed to this match, but I'll have to be away from my computer for perhaps a few hours. Sorry if this is inconvenient for you.

Talic
2009-08-05, 01:57 PM
Works for me. Moderately dim, enough for any stealth based abilities to work, but light enough to not impose any vision penalties.

My 3 rounds + All day: All cleric spell memorized are: Cure Light wounds, Cure Minor Wounds.

No All day buffs.
Round 1: Activate bead of Karma. (Go from CL 7 to CL 11)
Round 2: Cast Owl's Wisdom (From Scroll). - (Go from Wis 12 to Wis 16)
Round 3: Cast Antimagic Field (From Scroll). - (Cleric spell, Magic Domain, Level 6)

Initiative: [roll0]

Talic
2009-08-05, 02:38 PM
Lemme know when you're back. :)

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-05, 03:54 PM
Back now.

Buffs (OO):
All days:
Nondetection (14 hours)
Undetectable Alignment (24 hours)
Zone of Silence (12 hours)

Round 1: Freedom of Movement, Greater Mirror Image [roll0]
Round 2: Arcane Sight, Activate Tigerskin Armor for +4 Dex.
Round 3: Activate Scout's Headband for True Seeing, Quickened Expeditious Retreat.

Initiative: [roll1]

I'll start in the blue side, in:
B11
Question: Can I hide during my buff rounds?

Talic
2009-08-05, 03:57 PM
Yes. Fly to N11. Done.

Wielding a 2 handed sword, sporting a pair of kick-arse dragon wings.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-05, 03:58 PM
Hold on, I think I go first. I have a higher modifier than you do.

Also, checks for hiding:

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

Edit: I should also note that I have Mindsight, Arcane Sight, and True Seeing, so give me relevant information about you and your items.

Talic
2009-08-05, 03:59 PM
Ah, ok, then go first.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-05, 04:03 PM
Looks like the confusion was due to us using different rolling scripts. I think rollv is better, since it gives the natural number. Anyway, give me spot/listen and that information. My actions heavily depend on your auras and creature type.

Talic
2009-08-05, 04:06 PM
Elect not to roll spot/listen.

Mindsight reveals nothing.
Arcane Sight Reveals an abjuration aura, and that's all.
True Seeing reveals nothing more than I've already stated.

I am a humanoid. Orcish in appearance, except with wings. Knowledge checks will get you further information.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-05, 04:10 PM
K. Arcana: [roll0]

All other Knowledge skills are untrained, so I don't think they'll help.

What's the strength of the Abjuration aura? Also, if it's Nondetection, I get an CL check to defeat it. If it's Mind Blank, I think the ToS allows for a CL check or something to beat it.

I'll also need a character description, including visible items.

Talic
2009-08-05, 04:12 PM
It is neither. Abjuration aura is Moderate. No CL checks are allowed to defeat it.

Know (Arcana) reveals that I am also a Dragonborn.

Talic
2009-08-05, 04:19 PM
Orc, Dragonborn. Wings on back. Wearing an adamantine Chain shirt, wielding a greatsword, wearing a pair of boots. Anything else would be in the backpack.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-05, 04:24 PM
I activate my dispelling cord then cast Chain Dispel Magic targeting you, your chain shirt, your greatsword, your backpack, your boots, and any other objects I see on your person.

Hide check to remain hidden: [roll0]

Get a list of buffs/items, and tell me how many checks to make.

Talic
2009-08-05, 04:27 PM
I have 2 buffs.
I have 3 items named that Meet the criteria for Dispelling.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-05, 04:32 PM
The Abjuration buff: [roll0]
The other buff: [rollv]1d20+12]
The greatsword: [roll1]
The chain shirt: [roll2]
The boots: [roll3]
The backpack: [roll4]

I rolled for all named items, since I don't know which is the one I can't dispel. Tell me if I see any difference in auras.

Talic
2009-08-05, 04:33 PM
No change. Done?

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-05, 04:33 PM
Broken check for other buff: [roll0]

Talic
2009-08-05, 04:34 PM
Still no change in auras.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-05, 04:41 PM
I move, trying to stay hidden.

MS: [roll1]

Move to:
C5

End turn.

Talic
2009-08-05, 04:44 PM
Full run, flying, to B10. Let me know your proximity to me at the closest point of each of my moves. I can't match your hide checks, so I'm not rolling spot.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-05, 04:47 PM
At your closest point, 4 full squares separate us, on a 2-dimensional plane. The actual distance may be different depending on your elevation. Also, are you able to run through the trees?

Edit: Sorry, I was mistaken. There are 4 squares separating us at the closest point, but that's at a point on your last move. I don't know your fly speed so I can't give you a move-by-move distance until you tell me.

Talic
2009-08-05, 04:50 PM
Elevation +40 now, and I can fly above them.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-05, 04:52 PM
See my previous post, and tell me your fly speed if you want to know the distance at the end of your moves.

Edit: Also, your starting space.

Talic
2009-08-05, 04:54 PM
It's a straight line path. I don't need the shortest distance at the end of my move. I need the shortest distance at any point. Look at the line, find the closest part to you, and give me the distance.

I don't need to provide you with privileged character info for that.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-05, 05:00 PM
Full run, flying, to B10. Let me know your proximity to me at the closest point of each of my moves. I can't match your hide checks, so I'm not rolling spot.

Emphasis mine. I thought you meant each of your move speeds used in your run action. Sorry if I misunderstood you. Anyway, the closest you come to me is, according to the Pythagorean theorem, ~44 feet away, which I think rounds down to 40 ft. for game purposes

Talic
2009-08-05, 05:02 PM
Closest point of the move = whatever part of it has the least distance. Not closest move. As a run speed is a single action, you wouldn't have needed it anyway.

You're up.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-05, 05:09 PM
Actually, if 4 spaces separate us, are we 20 feet apart, or 25? I've never been clear on that.

Anyway, if it's possible to do so, I cast Solid Fog centered on your square.

Check to remain hidden: [roll0]

Talic
2009-08-05, 05:18 PM
Solid Fog has no effect. The spell does not manifest.

If there are four spaces between us, it's 25. If there are 3 spaces, and the fourth is me or you, it's 20.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-05, 05:28 PM
The distance between us is greater than 40 feet then. I knew that didn't sound right, since you were 40 feet up, and the total distance had to be higher than that.

If this distance thing is about blindsense, which Dragonborn have iirc, then it wouldn't detect me if it was based on sound or hearing. I'm just putting this out here because it can be a pain to determine distance every round.

I'll hide/move again.

Move to:
H2

Vital statistics (observers only)
HP: 54/54

Spell slots:
1: 7/8
2: 8/8
3: 4/7
4: 4/7
5: 6/7
6: 5/5

Durations: True Seeing 8, the rest are really long, so I doubt they'll come into play.
End Turn.

Talic
2009-08-05, 05:33 PM
That's not the reason. I'll still need distances.

Move action: to B3, then C3 (Ground level).
Move action: to I3 (Ground level).

As I move away from the area I was at, the Solid Fog comes into effect.

Again, I'll need distance.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-05, 05:37 PM
That's terrifying to me.

At the nearest point of your first move, I'm 25 feet away. Do you still take the second move?

Talic
2009-08-05, 05:38 PM
Yes. 25 feet doesn't give my character any information that would change it.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-05, 05:43 PM
During your second move, I am adjacent to you at the closest point.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-05, 05:52 PM
Also, Spellcraft to recognize the effect that negated my Solid Fog.

[roll0]

Talic
2009-08-05, 05:53 PM
You'll ID it here. Any effect that is <Sp> or <Su> evaporates from you as I approach within 10 feet...

Including, I assume, your HiPS. Is this the case?

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-05, 06:11 PM
It's (Ex), but I get it through a magic item. Luckily, I have cover, so I think I am still hidden if you don't beat my hide check (sans magic bonuses). Do I roll another one, or do I keep the old one, but reduce it? Also, I'll have to roll MS now, something I haven't been doing since the need for the check was obviated through magic.

Nonmagical MS check: [roll0]

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-05, 06:15 PM
Wait. As a conjuration (creation) effect, doesn't Solid Fog Function in an antimagic field?

Talic
2009-08-05, 06:15 PM
I'm fine. Your turn.

EDIT: No. Only instantaneous duration conjuration persist in AMF.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-05, 06:21 PM
A man with dark hair moves out of H2. His eyes glow blue, but the color seems muted. In fact, he looks drained of color, as if viewed through some sort of filter. There is a band of beaten old leather on his forehead, which is mostly concealed by greasy black bangs. The most striking feature about his head, however, is the gaudy bright pink veil that covers his face, which seem very out of place on such a drab, gray... well, man. He has a drab, featureless gray cloak with a hood, and where it does not conceal his torso you can see a tiger's pelt. His arms are covered in fine, silvery chainmail (the cloak is sleeveless), and you see bracers of tiger's skin on his wrists. There are a large number of thin leather bands crudely tied around his right arm. He is also wearing ornate blue leather armbands with golden patches that look like eagles sewn in. A light crossbow hangs at his side, and you can see a pouch on his belt within easy reach of his hands. He wields a round wooden shield, its surface virtually unscathed. There is a smooth blue gem embedded in the center of the shield, with a small arrowhead embedded in it. He has one ring on each hand: the left ring is a thin golden band set with silver spheres. The right ring is a thicker, larger golden ring with a seal in the middle surrounded by small rubies. It could certainly be used as a signet. You probably can't make out what the seal looks like at this distance. His boots are dark gray and seem unusually large, and are padded on the bottom. He is also wearing a backpack.

Tumble to E3.

Tumble: [roll0]

Then I cast a spell. DC 19 Spellcraft check:
It's Greater Invisibility

The man vanishes.

You see the man's shield appear in the space you last saw him.

Observers only:
I activate belt of battle for a full-round action. I spend it as two move actions: one to drop my shield, and another to move to B15 and draw a crossbow.

Stealth:
Hide: 1d20+52
MS (Obviated by Zone of Silence, but just in case): 1d20+26

Talic
2009-08-05, 06:30 PM
Further actions?

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-05, 06:31 PM
Forgot that rolls can't be edited in.

Hide:[roll0]
MS:[roll1]

Talic
2009-08-05, 06:37 PM
Appear? Appear how? Appear where? Is it on the ground? Give me information.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-05, 06:39 PM
It appears and falls out of nowhere in E3. It lands on the ground there, motionless.

Also, I messed up those Hide/MS checks. They should be 5 points lower each.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to mention this, but I end my turn.

Vital statistics (observers only)
HP: 54/54

Spell slots:
1: 7/8
2: 8/8
3: 4/7
4: 3/7
5: 6/7
6: 5/5

Durations: True Seeing 7, the rest are really long, so I doubt they'll come into play.

Talic
2009-08-06, 02:07 AM
Observers only:Hm. He backed away to the left. Unexpected. He's not gonna corner himself. So, let's see what I can do. If he's smart, he went southeast. If he's predictable, he went southwest. If he's stupid, he went due west. I'm going to assume he's not dumb. Now to find out if I can predict his actions.

Regardless, I don't feel particularly threatened. I'm fighting a caster who can't cast on me.

Move: To C7
Move: To C13

In any case, I intend to amend these actions if I gain sight of you at any point.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-06, 11:31 AM
I have cover, so I think I am still hidden if you don't beat my hide check (sans magic bonuses).

It turns out this is wrong. I can't use these kinds of trees for cover. Fortunately, I don't think that changes anything that happens so far.

Anyway, I appear in B15 when you get to C13. I have no shield, but I'm carrying a crossbow.

Talic
2009-08-06, 01:57 PM
Ok, you're up. :)

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-06, 02:09 PM
I'm pretty screwed here. My only hope is to shoot you to death with my crossbow. So, here goes.

Attack roll for crossbow: [roll0]

Damage (if it hits): [roll1]

Regardless of the result, I move away from you. You last see move south, before the Geater Invisibility/HiPS takes over. If you want stealth rolls at any point, I'll provide them, but you don't seem to be making spot/listen checks.

Anyway, OO:
If B17 is ground, I'm moving there. If it's not, then I'm moving to B16. I then cast Swift Etherealness.

End Turn.

Talic
2009-08-06, 02:11 PM
Where do I lose LOS? What square?

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-06, 02:13 PM
B15 is the very edge of the Antimagic field, so as soon as I leave it, you lose LoS. You know I've gone to B16, but from there it's a mystery.

Talic
2009-08-06, 02:16 PM
Then my first move will start by moving to C16.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-06, 02:23 PM
I think I need some adjudication on this. I'm ethereal right now. Does the AMF penetrate planar boundaries?

Also, did I hit you with that bolt?

Talic
2009-08-06, 02:27 PM
Yes, you did hit. And, as for Etherealness, AMF:

Force effects and abjurations affect an ethereal creature normally. Their effects extend onto the Ethereal Plane from the Material Plane, but not vice versa. An ethereal creature can’t attack material creatures, and spells you cast while ethereal affect only other ethereal things. Certain material creatures or objects have attacks or effects that work on the Ethereal Plane.

AMF is an Abjuration effect.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-06, 02:28 PM
So I'm right next to you, soft and vulnerable?

Talic
2009-08-06, 02:31 PM
Depends on your exact location.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-06, 02:34 PM
Ah, sorry. B17.

Talic
2009-08-06, 02:36 PM
Then yes.

Free action: Drop Sword.
Free action: Rage.
Free action: Frenzy.

Touch Attack: [roll0]
If hit, opposed Grapple: [roll1]
If successful, damage: [roll2] nonlethal

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-06, 02:38 PM
Grapple check: [roll0]

Doesn't look good for me, does it?

Talic
2009-08-06, 02:39 PM
Well, it's your go, now, I moved and attacked, and in this AMF, I ain't got many other options.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-06, 02:42 PM
Well, my grapple is +6, my escape artist is +2, and I can't magic my way out. If there's no hope of escape, we should just call it here.

Talic
2009-08-06, 02:45 PM
Fair nuff. Y'know, if you had doubled a different direction after going invis, I'd have totally lost you. Run south until disappearing, then shift up and go east or something.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-06, 02:47 PM
I couldn't do that, since you got your antimagic field all over the bridge. What I really should have done was move, Swift Etherealness, then move again into the post. I'd have been safe there, and then I could end up almost anywhere on the map before the end of my next turn.

Talic
2009-08-06, 02:49 PM
Well, looking back (now that I'm reviewing)...

When you first used the belt of battle and went SW away, you could've doubled back east, and I'd have had no clue. You're silent and invisible, for the most part.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-06, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I didn't make the best choices here.

I have a bad habit of trying to make my turn as quickly as possible. I should really take advantage of the fact that I have more than 2 minutes to think of something. This has led to all kinds of nonsense in my matches with Milskidasith.

Talic
2009-08-06, 02:54 PM
The biggest part of evading like that is doing something unexpected. You could have had the match, if you stayed clear, and shot me with the crossbow.

I did get lucky with the first move. I basically kept my AMF to get the max area possible, adn tried doing sweeps.

Claudius Maximus
2009-08-06, 03:00 PM
That's true. Like I said, I'm going to start taking my time a little when I take my turns.

Anyway, since you're a pretty reliable judge of this sort of thing, there's a hangup in my match against Milskidasith. He's confused right now, and he got the result "Attack nearest creature". He wants to cast dispel magic on me, but I suspect that it's supposed to force him to use physical attacks. What do you think?

Talic
2009-08-06, 03:10 PM
Dispel Magic is an attack for purposes of invisibility. The initial line (1-10) states "with melee or ranged weapons".

The nearest creature line does not. It's technically legal, though I'd probably restrict attack to "damaging effect". Magic Missile and scorching ray, good. Dispel Magic and Bestow Curse, not so much.