PDA

View Full Version : Road Test

Copper8642
2009-08-05, 03:09 PM
My road test to get a license is tomorrow, and I was just hoping the playground would wish me luck. I need it.

Please?

Mordokai
2009-08-05, 03:12 PM
G'luck to you buddy! :smallbiggrin:

Hannes
2009-08-05, 03:15 PM
I wish thou good luck in thy endeavours. I also wish you don't get a stuck up grader!

soozenw
2009-08-05, 04:14 PM
You'll do fine! Good luck!

Keld Denar
2009-08-05, 04:17 PM
If you ace all of the other tests, you can technically* pass the parallel parking part simply by driving straight into it over one of the side cones directly into position and putting it into park. This only marks you off 1 point, as opposed to the several points they can dock you for changing directions and/or backing over multiple cones.

*I still wouldn't recommend doing this

RandomNPC
2009-08-05, 04:21 PM
its all good, we've got a horror story about onea the people around here that test new drivers, and when i got her (the second of three tests) she was fine, failed me for the mirror knocking over the pole sticking out of the cone, cause apparently knocking over a pole is the same as putting your bumpper into the trunk of another car?

Swordlol
2009-08-05, 04:58 PM
I wish ya luck, have confidence, make friends with the driving instructor, don't get too comfortable or easy or you may just forget to turn on your blinker when you turn.

This says the person who got his license 5 weeks ago.

Innis Cabal
2009-08-05, 05:07 PM
My road test to get a license is tomorrow, and I was just hoping the playground would wish me luck. I need it.

Please?

Naw, its easy as pie dude. You'll do great. Just stay calm and you'll pass no problem

snoopy13a
2009-08-05, 05:08 PM
If you ace all of the other tests, you can technically* pass the parallel parking part simply by driving straight into it over one of the side cones directly into position and putting it into park. This only marks you off 1 point, as opposed to the several points they can dock you for changing directions and/or backing over multiple cones.

*I still wouldn't recommend doing this

Road tests vary by state. Some places have you parallel park on actual streets.

A couple of reminders:

1) Make sure to buckle up
2) Check your mirrors (and make sure the test giver sees you check your mirrors) and look behind you before leaving
3) Don't speed

d13
2009-08-05, 05:14 PM
Don't just "check the mirrors", exaggerate the movement. The instructor/inspector/whateverishowyoucallthem is not looking at your eyes, is looking at the side of your head.

Besides that, be careful with the lights and seatbelt, chill out and don't get nervous just because it is a test. If you know how to drive, you'll have little to no trouble.

Good luck =)

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-05, 05:26 PM
*Generic wish of luck!*

I jest, this is anything but generic.

Still, good luck. (Luck will need to be returned in a year or so when I take my test).

pita
2009-08-05, 05:31 PM
Heh. In Israel, we have to take a theory test before we start even learning how to drive.
The theory test is 30 questions like the following:
*Picture of a stop sign*
What does this sign say?
A. Go ahead.
B. Stop.
C. The sign indicates that you should stop.
D. You have to stop before the sign.
I can only get 5 wrong.
Gah.
I'm doing it tomorrow.
Good luck to you.

Copper8642
2009-08-05, 05:44 PM
Thanks too all, so far. Yes, luck will be returned when no longer needed. Yes, my parallel parking test is on an actual road (in a pretty small, calm little town, so it's not bad).

Ash08
2009-08-05, 07:07 PM
I wish you the best possible luck...

personally... driving scares me...

But good luck anyway!

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-05, 07:10 PM
Heh. In Israel, we have to take a theory test before we start even learning how to drive.
The theory test is 30 questions like the following:
*Picture of a stop sign*
What does this sign say?
A. Go ahead.
B. Stop.
C. The sign indicates that you should stop.
D. You have to stop before the sign.
I can only get 5 wrong.
Gah.
I'm doing it tomorrow.
Good luck to you.

I wish you luck on this as well!

Lissou
2009-08-05, 07:26 PM
Good luck!

I don't know exactly how it goes over there, but if it's the same as in France, make sure the instructor doesn't use the brakes, that's an instant fail.
Someone cut off my brother when he took his test and the instructor had to brake. Even though the mistake wasn't on my brother's part (the person was coming from the left and the priority is to the right), it was a fail.
Another friend waited to long to brake before reaching a stop, the instructor used the brakes, instant fail.

But if you go at a reasonable speed, it should be fine.

Sorry if we're stressing you out with all the advice. I wish you good luck, tell us how it goes.

Felixaar
2009-08-06, 02:21 AM
You can do it, pal!

mikej
2009-08-06, 02:25 AM
good luck!

I'm also a little nervous about driving tests. I'm going to write the G1 driving test in two days.

Zeb The Troll
2009-08-06, 06:16 AM
Good luck!

I don't know exactly how it goes over there, but if it's the same as in France, make sure the instructor doesn't use the brakes, that's an instant fail.
Someone cut off my brother when he took his test and the instructor had to brake. Even though the mistake wasn't on my brother's part (the person was coming from the left and the priority is to the right), it was a fail.
Another friend waited to long to brake before reaching a stop, the instructor used the brakes, instant fail.

But if you go at a reasonable speed, it should be fine.

Sorry if we're stressing you out with all the advice. I wish you good luck, tell us how it goes.Here the graders don't get to use the brakes. We have to take the test in our own cars. Sometimes on a street (like I did) and sometimes in a test area which only simulates a street, but with no other cars on it (like my daughter did).

In both cases, as others have said, just remember what you learned in driver's ed and exaggerate those mirror checks and you should be okay.

Eldan
2009-08-06, 06:23 AM
Oh god! Copper has a car!

Kidding. Good luck, mate.

Helanna
2009-08-06, 07:50 AM
Hey, good luck!

I just got my license . . . wow, less than a week ago, on my second try.

Remember to just do everything by the book (it seems obvious but if you havn't been driving by exact standards, you've gotta be extra careful), and remember that a lot of it depends on the instructor no matter what you do. The first time I took my test, I got 60 infractions or points or whatever they are, when the maximum to pass is 30. On my second test, I only got 5. I swear my driving wasn't much different at all . . .

Anyway, good luck then, I hope you pass!

Miklus
2009-08-06, 04:01 PM
Good luck!

Just take it easy, you don't get penalised for going slowly.

adanedhel9
2009-08-06, 04:53 PM
I actually never had to do parallel parking on my test. Lucked out, I suppose; I probably would have failed if I had to do it. I just barely squeaked by without that dreaded maneuver.

(I didn't really learn how to drive until after I got my driver's license.)

Good luck!

Just take it easy, you don't get penalised for going slowly.

Well, at least where and when I took the test, getting pulled over was an instant fail. And it is possible to be pulled over for going too slowly (a friend in high school managed to do that by going ~10 mph in a 55 zone). So just don't go too slowly.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-08-06, 05:13 PM
Good luck!

I just took my test for the second time, today, and passed :smallcool:

I didn't have to parallel park or do a three point turn. Infact, the most complex maneuver I had to pull was backing up fifty feet and parking "uphill" at a curbside.
They also passed everyone before me =3

It has been a fantastic.

Copper8642
2009-08-06, 08:34 PM
Passed!

And saw a car for sale on the side of the road on the way home and bought it. Wooo!

Thanks again, TO ALL! (Luck that requires returning is henceforth returned. Well used.)

Keld Denar
2009-08-06, 08:45 PM
LOL! GRATZ! Spontaneous purchase is spontaneous!

You should probably take the car in and have a mechanic look at it to make sure nothing important is about to fall off. I'd never buy a used car without an inspection. I just don't know enough about cars, and I'm a freakin mechanical engineer....

Trai
2009-08-06, 08:49 PM
Congrats on the license and the car with which to use it!

Alteran
2009-08-06, 08:57 PM
Congratulations! Enjoy driving! In about a month I'll be able to get my license, but I'm not sure if I'll do that right away. How long did you wait?

Copper8642
2009-08-06, 09:16 PM
I waited a year between permit and license. Definitely helped the whole learning bit.

Well, we had noted the car on the way to the test and said "let's check that out." Then we did drive it, she explained good stuff and bad stuff, work that was needed, we went home to check internet to make sure I wasn't getting gipped, came back, got car, then spent rest of day getting plates, registration, insurance, and a car wash. There are just a few issues that need dealing with, and two of my brothers are mechanics, one does body, the other does technical part things (I'm not a car person, I have no idea much about anything).

A Rainy Knight
2009-08-06, 11:30 PM
Congratulations on passing! I'm taking a test for my driver's license this Sunday. :smallsmile: