PDA

View Full Version : Abarat

Vaynor
2006-07-24, 11:11 PM
Hey, has anyone here read Abarat? As you can tell by my avatar, I like it. Soooo, discussion?

Sophistemon
2006-07-24, 11:12 PM
Never heard of it. But your avatar is refreshingly creepy.

Vaynor
2006-07-24, 11:30 PM
Yes, yes it is. The Prince of Darkness commands you to read his book.

Murky_Pool
2006-07-25, 06:21 AM
Never heard of it, does the prince of darkenss include a copy with the command to read?

If not - Command Word: Failed

So..... What's it about?

Were-Sandwich
2006-07-25, 07:54 AM
Abarat, Abarat, Abarat.....

Nothing, sorry.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-07-25, 12:20 PM
Wikipedia is your friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abarat

Hm, by Clive Barker—Mr. Hellraiser. (I still have to see that. Should probably read the novella, too.)

Sounds pretty interesting.

AmberVael
2006-07-25, 02:59 PM
I can't believe that Wikipedia thinks that quintets are rare... seriously, quintets are short. Look at the Wheel of Time series. 11 books, and it isn't finished and HE JUST WROTE A FREAKING PREQUEL! I want some of these fantasy authors to hurry up and write their books before they die!

But anyways, besides my rant. Never heard of that book before. Looks like it could be interesting though. I've read so many books. I'm hard pressed to have enough to read over a weekend. I'll probably see if I can buy this one just to have something new to read.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-07-25, 03:05 PM
I can't believe that Wikipedia thinks that quintets are rare... seriously, quintets are short. Look at the Wheel of Time series. 11 books, and it isn't finished and HE JUST WROTE A FREAKING PREQUEL! I want some of these fantasy authors to hurry up and write their books before they die!

But anyways, besides my rant. Never heard of that book before. Looks like it could be interesting though. I've read so many books. I'm hard pressed to have enough to read over a weekend. I'll probably see if I can buy this one just to have something new to read.

Robert Jordan (Author of the Wheel of Time series) is an overly-wordy hack. His books are god awful, I still can't believe I read all the way to number 5.

ElfMaster2000
2006-07-25, 05:19 PM
Hey, I saw the Wikipedia picture, and noticed if you flip it over, it stills says Abarat...

To answer your question, no, I have not.

Vaynor
2006-07-25, 05:20 PM
Abarat, Abarat, Abarat.....

Nothing, sorry.
Wow, this is a thread for a fantasy comic, full of geeks like me, and almost no one has heard of Clive Barker/Abarat? Amazing...

Anyways, you don't have to read it, Disney bought the rights to the movie, multimedia, and themed ride for $8 billion. Or, you could be better than the average movie-goer and read a great book, your choice.

Here's (http://www.thebooksofabarat.com/content4/xbarat99.html) the Abarat site...

Hey, I saw the Wikipedia picture, and noticed if you flip it over, it stills says Abarat...

To answer your question, no, I have not.
Yeah, cool huh?

Cardel
2006-07-25, 05:20 PM

Hmm, Im not sure if this is true, but I heard he has a life-threatening disease, and may die within the next decade. Again, Im not sure if its true.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-07-25, 09:24 PM
Yeah. That's what is meant when the article says, "The title contains an Ambigram." There's a link to info on ambigrams in the Wikipedia article on Abarat.

AmberVael
2006-07-25, 11:16 PM
Hmm, Im not sure if this is true, but I heard he has a life-threatening disease, and may die within the next decade. Again, Im not sure if its true.

He does. He intends to go on living so that he can finish his series. I think Death will take him right before the last book just to spite him.

Sophistemon
2006-07-25, 11:26 PM
God I hope not. I'm not a huge fan of the books, but to die before finishing your life's work would be terrible.

bingo_bob
2006-07-25, 11:30 PM
*raises hand*

I've read both books.

And Mendelson Shape should still be alive! Seriously, with a name as cool as 'Mendelson' how can you die?

Vaynor
2006-07-25, 11:32 PM
*raises hand*

I've read both books.

And Mendelson Shape should still be alive! Seriously, with a name as cool as 'Mendelson' how can you die?
OH MY GOSH! THANK YOU! SOMEONE HAS READ THESE BOOKS!

Yes, I totally agree, plus, falling off a giant moth would be a horrible way to die...

Sophistemon
2006-07-25, 11:39 PM
Giant moths? Okay, you've peaked my curiosity. I'll look them up the next time I'm at the library.

Vaynor
2006-07-25, 11:41 PM
Yes, my avatar used a cloth being, stitched together as a slave, to crush the bodies of five beings, and animated a giant moth out of it as a mount for an assassin to kill a little girl. Interest rising?

bingo_bob
2006-07-29, 02:55 PM
Yes, I totally agree, plus, falling off a giant moth would be a horrible way to die...

Except he didn't actually DIE that way... he's still there in book 2. THEN he dies.

purepolarpanzer
2006-07-29, 09:59 PM
I felt cheated when he died too. Replaced by a stupid bug guy. Christopher Carrion kicked alot of arse in that book though. Wish he had beaten Matter Motely. Oh, by the way, Abarat is my favorite series. Love tha avatar, and the poem in your signiture greatly resembles the one in the first book.

Vaynor
2006-07-31, 01:05 AM
I felt cheated when he died too. Replaced by a stupid bug guy. Christopher Carrion kicked alot of arse in that book though. Wish he had beaten Matter Motely. Oh, by the way, Abarat is my favorite series. Love tha avatar, and the poem in your signiture greatly resembles the one in the first book.
Thanks, and that's probably cause it IS the same poem. ;)

King_of_Oz
2006-08-07, 05:06 PM
I absolutely love these books, but I guess it is a situation where you either love or hate them. In other words, everyone I've recommended them to has hated them, yet I find them amazing.

LoM, Great avatar by the way

Closet_Skeleton
2006-08-09, 12:47 PM
Yeah. That's what is meant when the article says, "The title contains an Ambigram." There's a link to info on ambigrams in the Wikipedia article on Abarat.

An ambigram being an ambiguous anagram or someting? I hate words people make up like that. Perhaps I should just read the article.

Oh, so an Ambigram is like a panandrom, except its part of the typeface rather than part of the word.

It calls it a "young adult book". To me that means it's for 16-19 year olds. From what a previous poster describes by "young" then it must mean "not overtly sex related".

Giving an example of something that isn't a quintology (or whatever the word is) isn't how you prove that they're common.

Vaynor
2006-08-09, 03:04 PM
It calls it a "young adult book". To me that means it's for 16-19 year olds. From what a previous poster describes by "young" then it must mean "not overtly sex related".
Compared to the majority of his other books of course. ::)

LoM, Great avatar by the way
Thank you! It's by Mephitsobah, or however you spell it... :P