PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a Roomba(tm)?

Muz
2009-08-05, 03:34 PM
Heh. With that (tm) in the thread title, this looks like a spam thread or something. :smallsmile:

But yes, just what the title says. I was listening to something on NPR on my drive to work (not that those details matter, but you're gettin' 'em anyway) where some computer scientists were talking about various innovations, and the Roomba room-vacuuming robots (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roomba)were briefly mentioned.

Now I can't stop thinking about them!!:smalleek: I want a droid! I'm curious if anyone on here has 'em, and what they think of them. Are they some novelty, or do they actually work?

Fri
2009-08-05, 03:50 PM
don't forget the killer roomba (http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2007/10/roomba-maker-un/)

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-08-05, 03:50 PM
I have one, although it's gone mental with age. I need to trade it in and get a new one and put it to work!

It does an ok, but not necessarily exceptional, job keeping the floor clean. But like any machine, you have to modify things to its capabilities:

Pick up any toys, magazines, loose cords from the floor. Especially watch for drape cords.
Move the furniture apart, especially if its "overstuffed." We have some big, fluffy chairs, and it can wedge itself inbetween, and have a hard time getting out. (I always think of one of the meme photos floating around the internet, an overweight couple on a motorcycle, and their toddler child sitting in between them.)
If you have more than one floor in your home, you have to carry it up stairs or down stairs to do its work. We have a four level place, upstairs (bedrooms), main floor (living room/kitchen), family room, furnished basement. So I have to carry it up and down the stairs each time, and move its docking station each time.
It's not quiet. Forget the commercial, you can't have a pleasant conversation over a glass of wine while it cleans. We usually set it loose before we take off for something, and it does its thing, then parks itself when its done.

Overall, I like it, and plan on buying one once we move to Korea. Your pets will bark at it the first time, then ignore it after that. Kids will chase it around, and stand in front of it to make it stop and turn around the first time as well, then ignore it as well.

I still break out the big vacuum once a month or so to deep clean, and steam clean once about every six months. But if your spouse likes a clean floor, and you hate vacuuming, its the shiznit!

Muz
2009-08-05, 03:54 PM
Well, I don't have a spouse, or pets, or kids, or a second story, so that works out. Mostly I'm just horrible at remembering to vacuum and figured this thing would be neat to have. Does it know to move on to another room after a while, or do you have to set it down in each room? (It'd be awesome to have the sucker turn on while I'm away for the day, clean stuff, then shut down.)

soozenw
2009-08-05, 04:01 PM
We have a Roomba. I LOVE it. Ours has the lighthouses that you can use either as walls or as a contact point to get it back to the base when it is done.

The only problem is, if you don't have the lighthouse set for wall, it will clean all rooms it can get to, and won't have enough juice to finish all of them. I set up walls in each room so it only does one at a time, so it actually finishes each room. But ours can clean 2 large rooms on a single charge. Granted, it takes 50 times longer to vacuum a room than it would be for me to do it myself, but I hate to vacuum, so I don't mind the time. That and it vacuums under the couches, which I would never do otherwise.

Also, it's great entertainment for my toddler, so that's an added bonus.

Muz
2009-08-05, 04:04 PM
What model/generation is yours, soozenw? :smallsmile:

Jibar
2009-08-05, 04:06 PM
I'm curious if a modding community for Roombas exists.
Hmmm... this needs investigation!

soozenw
2009-08-05, 04:10 PM
What model/generation is yours, soozenw? :smallsmile:

Ours is a 535. (woot.com had them in May for $120!)

One more word of caution--to replace filters and brushes it is pretty expensive. I managed to get 2 sets of brushes on eBay for $40, and 8 filters for $20. I replace the filter every month or so, and I've already replaced the brushes once. Also, you really need to clean it after almost every use (empty the bin, clean brushes, etc) and when I changed the brushes, I took practically the entire thing apart and blew it out with compressed air.

But the company has great customer service, and they will send you replacement parts (ours got stuck under something and it burned out one of the wheels) for free within a couple of days, which are really easy to replace.

Starscream
2009-08-05, 04:25 PM
I'm curious if a modding community for Roombas exists.
Hmmm... this needs investigation!

Not exactly a community (http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/feature-top-5-roomba-hacks), but still pretty cool.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-05, 04:31 PM
Yeah, roombas are one of the most awesomely hilarious inventions ever. Also, as we all know, every roomba needs a dueling harness. (http://xkcd.com/506/)

Hannes
2009-08-05, 04:36 PM
You know, your Roomba is watching you while you sleep... (http://www.leasticoulddo.com/comic/20090722)

Guancyto
2009-08-05, 04:36 PM
Or a costume. It's the unofficial company mascot where I work, so people take turns making paper hats and googly-eye faces to tape onto it.

soozenw is spot-on about its power issues, though. Little guy will clean up just fine, but he needs to nap constantly.

Pyrian
2009-08-05, 04:52 PM
My parents have one. Their cat likes to sit on it, which occasionally starts it up. Sadly, she will usually get off at that point rather than riding it around the floor for long enough to get a camera... But sometimes they come home and wonder why the rooba is going again.

Joran
2009-08-05, 09:26 PM
Just got a Roomba and so far it's been everything it's been advertised. I know nothing about these docking stations; we just plug it into the adapter after it's done.

Anyone know anything about the Scooba?

Assassin89
2009-08-05, 09:55 PM
My parent have one. It is in the basement and isn't in use that much.

Jokerz
2009-08-06, 12:02 AM
I have one, and my pet ball python Monty likes to ride on it, insofar as I can tell he likes anything.

I usually just vacuum the floor myself instead, though. the Roomba isn't all that good for deep-cleaning.

Muz
2009-08-06, 12:43 AM
Well, I couldn't resist the techno-lust any more. My resolve weakens at night, and, dangit, I just ordered one. I'm sure I'll regret it, I'm sure I could have spent the money on something else, but...

Well, heck. I'm helping to stimulate the economy, right? ...Right? :smalleek:

Gorgondantess
2009-08-06, 12:52 AM
Well, I couldn't resist the techno-lust any more. My resolve weakens at night, and, dangit, I just ordered one. I'm sure I'll regret it, I'm sure I could have spent the money on something else, but...

Well, heck. I'm helping to stimulate the economy, right? ...Right? :smalleek:

Right-o, man! You need to Help stimulate our struggling capitalist economy, brah!:smalltongue:

Yeah, you'll regret it, but then the makers of the roomba will be that much closer to making a superior, cheaper product. Also, their employees will be paid just a bit more, so they can feed their families. So, yeah, you helped.:smallamused:

Hell Puppi
2009-08-06, 01:04 AM
I would get one but it would last around 3.5 minutes with my Shepherd puppy.
Either that or it would choke to death on Corgi fur. The after-winter shed is something like a vacuum Apocalypse. :smallsigh:

soozenw
2009-08-06, 07:29 AM
I would get one but it would last around 3.5 minutes with my Shepherd puppy.
Either that or it would choke to death on Corgi fur. The after-winter shed is something like a vacuum Apocalypse. :smallsigh:

They actually have one for people with pets, but I don't see how that would work with the amount of hair that some dogs shed. I know my hair tends to clog up the brushes on ours. It was pretty gross the 1st few times we used it. Never knew there was that much hair on the floor from my head. :smalleek:

mangosta71
2009-08-06, 08:42 AM
I've considered getting one. I'll call it Skynet and tape a knife to it. Points for those that get the reference.

Jibar
2009-08-06, 09:42 AM
Will you later trade roles with it so it sits on the couch drinking Red Bull while you do all the hoovering?

mangosta71
2009-08-06, 01:07 PM
Well, obviously. I mean, I would have to. It's important that, not only do the robots remember who first armed them, but that they also remember who treated them well.

Supagoof
2009-08-06, 01:56 PM
*Imagines two roomba's going at it with the Star Trek fight music playing in the background.*

Ba ba baah baah baah ba ba baaah ba ba baaah
Dun doon dun doon dun doon dun doon
Ba ba baah baah baah ba ba baaah ba ba baaah

There was a Star Wars (to change venues a bit) exhibit that was going around that had a theatre portion where you went in and saw a short film on where we are today with robots to where they are in the Star Wars universe. The roomba was compared as an early version of R2-D2, or basically a droid that carried out automated tasks. First it vacuums. Next it fights off the galatic empire.

Starscream
2009-08-06, 02:24 PM
The roomba was compared as an early version of R2-D2, or basically a droid that carried out automated tasks. First it vacuums. Next it fights off the galatic empire.

I always wondered if R2 had any real loyalty to the rebel alliance, or if he was just doing what he was told. And if he knew that Vader was his former friend Anakin.

I guess it all depends on what happened between the prequels and original trilogy. There's probably some novel I've never read that deals with it.

Muz
2009-08-19, 03:12 PM
The Roomba has arrived. I expect it may in fact be evil. It's got a black/dark grey color scheme, and the way the central light pulses when it's charging...

On....
...and off...
and on...
...and off...

is decidedly unsavory. Like it's...feeding. Waiting. :smalleek:

Still not sure what to name it. I was thinking "Zathras" would be fitting, but now I'm not sure. It is, essentially, a DRD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_races_in_Farscape#DRDs). It's just a shame more DRDs didn't have names. :smallsmile:

Jalor
2009-08-19, 03:24 PM
I would get one, but then this would happen.

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/6956/20070108roomba.png

Faceist
2009-08-20, 01:17 AM
I've considered getting one. I'll call it Skynet and tape a knife to it. Points for those that get the reference.Possibly the best possible use of a prototype robot. Aside from maybe putting a wig on it and taking it on a plane and pretending it's your son.

"What do you mean? They're not going to say anything and draw attention to my sons disability."

ghost_warlock
2009-08-20, 01:37 AM
Okay, I think I'm going to get one of these things. I'm the only one in the house (of 4 occupants) who ever bothers to vacuum so it'll save me the hassle. Also, since my cat is getting older, she tends to shed a lot. It'll be nice to set up a Roomba routine for sucking up the stray cat hair that tends to accumulate in corners and along the bottom of furniture.

Speaking of the cat, I can't wait to see how she reacts to one of these things chasing her around the house! :smallbiggrin:

Fri
2009-08-20, 02:28 AM
I always wondered if R2 had any real loyalty to the rebel alliance, or if he was just doing what he was told. And if he knew that Vader was his former friend Anakin.

I guess it all depends on what happened between the prequels and original trilogy. There's probably some novel I've never read that deals with it.

I remember reading that R2D2 actually know everything, but it decided to keep its memory private. It is the only character that got all the most knowledge of both star wars trilogy. He's quirky because he wasn't wiped out regularly, all droids of its type were supposed to have their memory cleaned regularly.

Muz
2009-08-20, 11:19 AM
... all droids of its type were supposed to have their memory cleaned regularly.

Hrm. So if I don't clean out my Roomba's dustbin regularly... :smallbiggrin:

Perenelle
2009-08-20, 11:36 AM
My Aunt and Uncle have a Roomba as well as a Roomba-like-thing that mows their lawn. I dont know what the lawn mowing thing is called though. They're thrilled with getting new technology and their house is filled with interesting things. They recently had a baby and he crawls around chasing the Roomba. :smallbiggrin:

Lupy
2009-08-20, 11:57 AM
Pern, will you be angry if I borrow steal their lawn-roomba?

I'm sure that I can put a robot with whirling deathblades on it's underside to good use in a city with so much work going on in it's sewers... :smallamused:

Perenelle
2009-08-20, 01:12 PM
Haha Lupy. No I would not be angry if you stole their lawn roomba but I think they might. And You'd have to head over to Texas since I'm talking about my other aunt. :smallwink:

Lupy
2009-08-20, 01:21 PM
Haha Lupy. No I would not be angry if you stole their lawn roomba but I think they might. And You'd have to head over to Texas since I'm talking about my other aunt. :smallwink:

Aw.

Anyone in NC want to lend me a lawnmower-ba? Or even a just a roomba, I can attach the death blades myself...

Perenelle
2009-08-20, 01:34 PM
Aw.

Anyone in NC want to lend me a lawnmower-ba? Or even a just a roomba, I can attach the death blades myself...

Okay if there is anyone here in NC that happens to have the urge to lend Lupy a roomba/lawnmower-roomba-thing, please dont. Lupy and sharp objects are a bad combination. :smalleek:

Decoy Lockbox
2009-08-20, 02:29 PM
I had a Roomba, but it led the other appliances in an armed rebellion against me. I had the Roomba executed as a warning to the others.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-20, 02:36 PM
I had a Roomba, but it led the other appliances in an armed rebellion against me. I had the Roomba executed as a warning to the others.

Always a good way to deal with defectors. Then you can get another that is eerily similar but strictly loyal, and the other appliances will look at it with fear and distrust, shying from the uncanny physical resemblance to their once charismatic and rebellious leader.:smallamused: