PDA

View Full Version : The Barbarian Hulk

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-05, 03:55 PM
From the makers of the Joker Bard, I have decided to create yet another comic book character in the D&D world. This time, Big Mean Green.

Right now, here's the build:
Eldarial has helped me brainstorm some ideas, here's what we have so far:

Bruce Banner
"Don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry..."

CG/Male/Strongheart Halfling/ Monk (Overwhelming Attack style) 2/Stoneblessed3/Crusader1/Barbarian1/Hulking Hurler2/War Hulk10/FB1
Init +Dex, Senses: Listen +, Spot +,
Languages Common, Terran, Goliath
------------------------------------------------
AC 18, touch 18, flat-footed (13)
hp ( HD)
Fort +, Ref +, Will +
------------------------------------------------
Speed20 ft. ( squares)
Melee
Base Atk +8 (+15 unarmed), Grp +
Atk Options Full attack: 6d8+16, or 6d8+48 on a charge) +25/+25/+20/+15 or Throw: 8d6+41 (+25)
Combat Gear
Supernatural Abilities
-----------------------------------------------
Abilities Str 6, Dex 20, Con 16 (20 after level-points applied), Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8 (38 point buy)
SQ
Feats Power Attack (monk bonus), Improved Bull Rush (Monk bonus), Point Blank Shot (racial bonus), (1st level feat open), Weapon Focus (rocks) (3rd level), Cleave (6th level), Intimidating Rage (9th), Destructive Rage (12th)
Skills
Possessions Necklace of Natural Attacks +1 Skillful, Valorous; Monk's Belt

quick_comment
2009-08-05, 03:57 PM
If you use Quori armor shards/whatever they are called, you look like a quori monster.

Myshlaevsky
2009-08-05, 03:58 PM
Player: "Hey, can I turn into a green Giant instead of a bear?"
DM: *laughs* "Sure."

That's how I'd do it.

Eldariel
2009-08-05, 04:05 PM
Bear Warrior is fixed into a Bear; no way to change it (though Warshaper does some alterations). You may want to look into Primeval from Frostburn. It picks its one form to turn into. Also, Bear Warrior 10 isn't really worth it - better give him more Frenzied Berserker-levels to make him HULKSMASH more. But yeah, picking Dire Ape, saying it has no fur and green skin and going to town works with Primeval.

Of course, just reflavoring Bear Warrior works. Even better, making the base creature Goliath with Mountain Rage (or Stoneblessed if you want to keep the base race Human) would work out fine. That'd open up the rest of the levels to getting REALLY angry (for example, more FB levels). But overall, I think Mountain Rage does what you want here best; I suggest either Human Stoneblessed/Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker or Goliath Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker.

And yeah, you need two levels before entering Stoneblessed so stub for Human would be X 2/Stoneblessed 3/Barbarian ~2/Frenzied Berserker -> (with maybe War Hulk; that'd make him suck when not Raging/Enlarged, but would match his Rage Str to the real counterpart).

Whether the first levels grant you stat bonuses (Human Paragon?), feats, more rage (e.g. Druidic Avenger) or any such is of course out in the open.

blackspeeker
2009-08-05, 04:07 PM
Player: "Hey, can I turn into a green Giant instead of a bear?"
DM: *laughs* "Sure."

That's how I'd do it.

This here is exactly what I'd do to, anything can be reflavored/fluffed.

Sinfire Titan
2009-08-05, 04:09 PM
Goliath Barbarian sub levels allows you to get a size increase. Hulking Hurler is the next natural step up.

Berserk Monk
2009-08-05, 04:14 PM
You know ShneekeyTheLost, if you're interested in turning comic book characters into D&D ones, I think I found a way to make Wolverine.

Eldariel
2009-08-05, 04:15 PM
Soo, Human Paragon 3/Stoneblessed (Goliath) 3/Barbarian 2/Hulking Hurler 3/War Hulk 10?

Admittedly being able to throw anything really suits Hulk seeing how much...throwing anything he does. I'd really cram Frenzied Berserker-levels in there though just 'cause he does have the whole "involuntary shifting"-thing going on. Human Paragon 3/Stoneblessed 3/Barbarian 1/Hulking Hurler 3/Frenzied Berserker 1/War Hulk 10?

Tallis
2009-08-05, 04:21 PM
From the makers of the Joker Bard, I have decided to create yet another lovely Marvel character in the D&D world. This time, Big Mean Green.

Just a nitpick, but The Joker isn't Marvel, he's DC.

However, I have a problem. He turns into a Dire Bear, not a big monstrosity.

I think most DMs would let you refluff as long as you don't alter the mechanics. Just ask.

Zeta Kai
2009-08-05, 04:24 PM
You know ShneekeyTheLost, if you're interested in turning comic book characters into D&D ones, I think I found a way to make Wolverine.

Oh, & how is that?

quick_comment
2009-08-05, 04:28 PM
Oh, & how is that?

I would guess Shifter Warblade/Bloodclaw Master/Frenzied Berserker

Dixieboy
2009-08-05, 05:13 PM
*Is still waiting for Spiderman and Superman*

Animefunkmaster
2009-08-05, 05:16 PM
Tiger claw maneuvers for the massive space covered in a hulk-ish jump

Captain Alien
2009-08-05, 05:26 PM

There is one for Spiderman when he turned into a Spider-Monstrosity. The 3rd edition Prestige Class "Llolth's Fang", from "Song and Silence". Is is called Llolth's Fang, anyway? I am not sure.

Also, you can homebrew a template, and give the character Climbing speed 30' or so, the supernatural ability of shooting web like a spider and a ridiculously high Reflex and Wisdom bonuses. +2 level adjustment, tops. About the class? I do not know. Any suggestions?

Berserk Monk
2009-08-05, 05:26 PM
Is there any way to take a spell (let's say enlarge person) you can cast and make it an at will ability or some other ability that doesn't require the components of a spell? You could take a level in wizard to make yourself giant. This does increase you strength by 4 which is useful for the Hulk, and Bruce Banner is a scientist which is the real world equivalent to a wizard.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-05, 05:37 PM
I would guess Shifter Warblade/Bloodclaw Master/Frenzied Berserker

Nah, Wolverine has massive regen, not massive damage output. He'd need something like the half-troll template which grants him regen to be able to cover that.

Also, to the people simply suggesting re-flavor call from GM, I'm trying to do this game-mechanics-legal.

Also, I'm not wanting to start out looking big and beefy, I'm wanting him to be fairly weak, until he looses his temper and 'hulks out', so the Goliath sub-level is out.

Warblade is... of interest. As is Hulking Hurler. Fitting it all in 20 levels is going to be... difficult.

The other problem is that one cannot Wildshape if one Frenzies, otherwise I'd bite the bullet and go Avenger Druid/MoMF/Hulking Hurler/FB. For a shape, I'd probably go with this guy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/grayRender.htm).

Hurlbut
2009-08-05, 05:53 PM
Nah, Wolverine has massive regen, not massive damage output. He'd need something like the half-troll template which grants him regen to be able to cover that.It's more like he can cut *any* thing with his admantine claws and incredible toughness from his admantine plated bones. But yeah naturally he has only a natural attack aside from his nigh powerful regeneration (he never die it seems even if flesh and organs were carbonized down to his bones).

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-05, 05:54 PM
Take levels in Green Star Adept.

You then become a construct bear.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-05, 06:00 PM
Take levels in Green Star Adept.

You then become a construct bear.

Actually... no you don't. Bear Warrior turns you into a bear. Your normal type or subtype is irrelevant to the polymorph effect.

Besides, it would require a lot of caster levels first, and wouldn't leave room for Bear Warrior.

Frosty
2009-08-05, 06:09 PM
What about that PrC Wild Runner or something from Races of the Wild? That gives another form of Rage.

Eldariel
2009-08-05, 06:14 PM
Actually... no you don't. Bear Warrior turns you into a bear. Your normal type or subtype is irrelevant to the polymorph effect.

Besides, it would require a lot of caster levels first, and wouldn't leave room for Bear Warrior.

Isn't that what the Mountain Rage/War Hulk is all about? Give him Str 10-12 and then Hulk Out for +16 (since War Hulk-abilities kick in when you go Large and you get 6 from Rage) and +6 more from Frenzied Berserker and +2 from Reckless Rage.

I mean, the functionings are exactly the same as Bear Warrior, just without Supernatural mumbo-jumbo. Primeval does the same. Only real Wildshape replaces stats and it's impossible to focus. I think Mountain Rage+War Hulk is by far the best way to do this by the rules.

Starscream
2009-08-05, 06:43 PM
Half-Troll gives Fast Healing but not Regeneration. Unless there's some errata that I missed.

So to make Wolverine you'd need to actually be a troll. Or something else that can regrow limbs.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-05, 07:02 PM
Isn't that what the Mountain Rage/War Hulk is all about? Give him Str 10-12 and then Hulk Out for +16 (since War Hulk-abilities kick in when you go Large and you get 6 from Rage) and +6 more from Frenzied Berserker and +2 from Reckless Rage.

I mean, the functionings are exactly the same as Bear Warrior, just without Supernatural mumbo-jumbo. Primeval does the same. Only real Wildshape replaces stats and it's impossible to focus. I think Mountain Rage+War Hulk is by far the best way to do this by the rules.

Ahh, I thought the sub-level gave him the Large size period.

Still, I was trying to avoid starting off with Powerful Build. I was ideally trying to put this on a Strongheart Halfling... just for the amusement value of seeing a midget grow up to Huge size and start WTFPWNing everything.

Having said that, what you describe is... very close to what I want to do.

Now, how do we go about doing damage? Is there a way to do unarmed damage as though you wielded a two-handed weapon? I mean, since we're using FB, we might as well use FB. However, even without the two-handed-ness... can we increase unarmed damage sufficently that it would be worthwhile?

Also, is Mountain Rage mutually exclusive with the Complete Champion Lion Totem Barbarian for pounce?

Kylarra
2009-08-05, 07:08 PM
It's kind of sad compared to optimized builds, but just playing a straight caster who likes to use Transformation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/transformation.htm) is kind of exactly what you're going for.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-05, 07:10 PM
It's kind of sad compared to optimized builds, but just playing a straight caster who likes to use Transformation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/transformation.htm) is kind of exactly what you're going for.

Nah, I'm wanting this to be more involuntary, kinda like Frenzied Berzerker. You piss him off... GWAR WTFPWN!!!!

Kylarra
2009-08-05, 07:12 PM
Nah, I'm wanting this to be more involuntary, kinda like Frenzied Berzerker. You piss him off... GWAR WTFPWN!!!!Ah right the involuntary aspect is key, still it does fit the wimp => crazy aspect.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-05, 07:14 PM
Permanent contingent transformation - "Any time I take damage"? :smallbiggrin:

Kylarra
2009-08-05, 07:16 PM
Permanent contingent transformation - "Any time I take damage"? :smallbiggrin:That made me laugh. :smallamused:

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-05, 07:18 PM
Permanent contingent transformation - "Any time I take damage"? :smallbiggrin:

Mountain Rage/Warhulk gives a LOT better boosts. Just wish there was some way to significantly increase his DR, because he's gonna be eating hits like nothing.

Wait...

Warblade/Barbarian/Warhulk/FB

Take Stone Power and Shards of Granite. Ignores DR of opponents, and negates first 10 damage per round. Also gives me a couple of tiger claw maneuvers for those RAWR jumps.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-05, 07:21 PM
Might want a monk level or something that gives you a slam attack, too. Maybe see about a graft, or two levels in Fist of the Forest?

Eldariel
2009-08-05, 07:22 PM
Ahh, I thought the sub-level gave him the Large size period.

Still, I was trying to avoid starting off with Powerful Build. I was ideally trying to put this on a Strongheart Halfling... just for the amusement value of seeing a midget grow up to Huge size and start WTFPWNing everything.

Having said that, what you describe is... very close to what I want to do.

Now, how do we go about doing damage? Is there a way to do unarmed damage as though you wielded a two-handed weapon? I mean, since we're using FB, we might as well use FB. However, even without the two-handed-ness... can we increase unarmed damage sufficently that it would be worthwhile?

Also, is Mountain Rage mutually exclusive with the Complete Champion Lion Totem Barbarian for pounce?

You don't get Powerful Build from Stoneblessed. Stoneblessed can be literally any race. Better yet, Mountain Rage says "his size becomes Large" instead of "his size increases by one category" (that text is only in explanations for why the bonuses it gets are so-so), so by RAW even a Stoneblessed Strongheart Halfling would go Large.

Mountain Rage is a racial sub level; it replaces your Rage. I'm not sure if it's an editing error or something, but Fast Movement isn't listed on the same level though (which would mean you can't get Pounce this way). However, since we don't have too much BAB anyways, losing out on iteratives isn't that painful.

This leads me to believe we should try to get the feat that doubles our unarmed damage if we only do one attack per round (it exists; we could also use Decisive Strike Monk, but that requires a Full-Round Action which isn't kosher). Combine that with Battle Jump [Unapproachable East] to get twice our Str on an attack done after a Jump and we should be looking at respectable Single Hit damage (x2 Str, x2 composite after that) and it counts as a charge so we can pick up Shock Trooper+Leap Attack-lines. We could also pick up Superior Unarmed Strike and Improved Natural Attack for 4d6 base damage (which is consequently doubled on a hit).

This all requires locating the feat that doubles your UA damage when only making one attack per turn though (or we could add two levels of Kensai and get +1 Valorous Fists). Also, if we take more levels of Frenzied Berserker, we can of course use Supreme Power Attack with Leap Attack-line to a decent effect (few hundred damage). Fist of the Forests is a viable alternative/supplement to Monk. Fluff annoyance, but getting Con to AC would significantly improve his defenses given that Banner Doesn't Do Armor.

Initial shell:
Monk 2/Stoneblessed 3/Barbarian 1/Fist of the Forests 3/Frenzied Berserker 1/War Hulk 10 (though fitting Hulking Hurler is also a good plan - Hulk does do a lot of Throw Stuff At People, after all, and it gives you a very impressive damage output from throwing heavy objects at people; could cut FotF levels to 1 and be satisfied with Hulk 9).

MustacheFart
2009-08-05, 07:30 PM

I remember seeing a feat somewhere called, Hammerfist, I think? Basically, it let you put both hands together and deliver an unarmed strike, which as a result granted the typical 1.5 x Str damage. I would think that would count as 2-handed.

Also there are two other feats that increase your Str. 1 feat increases Str by so much every time you deal a certain amount of damage. The other increases your strength by so much every time you take so much damage. I want to say they're not that great but they sure as hell would fit the whole Hulk concept.

The only other thing I'd suggest is some of the monstrous feats that require large size or larger. I know there's a body slam one, a super loud roar one, and a massive thunderclap one. All stuff that screams hulk to me.

Also if you still wanted to use a halfling, couldn't you use psychic warrior? An augmented Expansion would make you large. Psionics involve what's in your head so, there's certainly more of a fit with the hulk here than traditionally casting a spell.

Origomar
2009-08-05, 07:36 PM

super man is like pun pun levels man, i mean he has insane DR can shoot lazers from eyes, frost breadth, fly, super strength, incredibley fast, and has vision that can give you cancer.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-05, 07:36 PM
You don't get Powerful Build from Stoneblessed. Stoneblessed can be literally any race. Better yet, Mountain Rage says "his size becomes Large" instead of "his size increases by one category" (that text is only in explanations for why the bonuses it gets are so-so), so by RAW even a Stoneblessed Strongheart Halfling would go Large. What does 'stoneblessed' do? I don't have Races of Stone

Mountain Rage is a racial sub level; it replaces your Rage. I'm not sure if it's an editing error or something, but Fast Movement isn't listed on the same level though (which would mean you can't get Pounce this way). However, since we don't have too much BAB anyways, losing out on iteratives isn't that painful. Well, depends on the way you apply it. If Mountain Rage doesn't affect Fast Movement, then you might be able to get both.

And how do we not have too much BAB? Every class posited is a full BAB class.

This leads me to believe we should try to get the feat that doubles our unarmed damage if we only do one attack per round (it exists; we could also use Decisive Strike Monk, but that requires a Full-Round Action which isn't kosher). Combine that with Battle Jump [Unapproachable East] to get twice our Str on an attack done after a Jump and we should be looking at respectable Single Hit damage (x2 Str, x2 composite after that) and it counts as a charge so we can pick up Shock Trooper+Leap Attack-lines. We could also pick up Superior Unarmed Strike and Improved Natural Attack for 4d6 base damage (which is consequently doubled on a hit). Would Monk's Belt work instead? Monk is Lawful, and this character will have to be Chaotic. Maybe the feat from ToB that gives them an almost monk-ish unarmed damage progression?

This all requires locating the feat that doubles your UA damage when only making one attack per turn though (or we could add two levels of Kensai and get +1 Valorous Fists). Also, if we take more levels of Frenzied Berserker, we can of course use Supreme Power Attack with Leap Attack-line to a decent effect (few hundred damage). Fist of the Forests is a viable alternative/supplement to Monk. Fluff annoyance, but getting Con to AC would significantly improve his defenses given that Banner Doesn't Do Armor. I'm not liking the Kensai thing much, but maybe the whatever item that lets your unarmed attacks be +1 with the ability to put on effects?

And with Shock Trooper, it doesn't matter what is AC is, it's gonna be crap regardless. Where is Fist of the Forests from?

Initial shell:
Monk 2/Stoneblessed 3/Barbarian 1/Fist of the Forests 3/Frenzied Berserker 1/War Hulk 10 (though fitting Hulking Hurler is also a good plan - Hulk does do a lot of Throw Stuff At People, after all, and it gives you a very impressive damage output from throwing heavy objects at people; could cut FotF levels to 1 and be satisfied with Hulk 9).

How about Warblade2/Stoneblessed 3/Barbarian1/Hulking Hurler3/Frenzied Berserker 1/Warhulk 10?

Doesn't Warhulk also give you throwing stuff? Mighty Rock Throwing and stuff?

Eldariel
2009-08-05, 07:52 PM
What does 'stoneblessed' do? I don't have Races of Stone

Qualifies you as a "Race of stone" and gives you miscellaneous bonuses. Basically, with Stoneblessed level 3 ability, any character can qualify for Goliath/Dwarf/Gnome Anything (choice done on taking the first PrC level). It also gives you +2 Con as the other relevant part ('cause while low Str is doable, you'll want a lot of Con even in Banner-form just for this to work out).

Well, depends on the way you apply it. If Mountain Rage doesn't affect Fast Movement, then you might be able to get both.

Yeah. The table doesn't list fast movement but nowhere is it mentioned that the sub level would cost you fast movement. YMMV.

And how do we not have too much BAB? Every class posited is a full BAB class.

War Hulk does not have full BAB. In fact, it has no BAB. It just increases your Str every level. Also, Stoneblessed is a Medium BAB class so a non-Goliath loses 1 point either way.

Would Monk's Belt work instead? Monk is Lawful, and this character will have to be Chaotic. Maybe the feat from ToB that gives them an almost monk-ish unarmed damage progression?

Ex-Monkism is no problem; he had an orderly mind before...well, y'know. The real reason to take Monk is that this build is hungry for a lot of feats (seriously, check F. Berserker's prerequisites and think how many specific ones he WANTS in addition) and Monk provides three feats that, using fighting styles (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#monkVariantFightingSty les), are all on our "wanted"-list (IUS is obvious and we can get stuff like Improved Trip/Power Attack/Improved Grapple/Improved Bull Rush [Shock Trooper Prereq]/whatever for the first 2 levels).

I'm not liking the Kensai thing much, but maybe the whatever item that lets your unarmed attacks be +1 with the ability to put on effects?

Necklace of Natural Attacks. Just, using items for key parts of the build doesn't feel very hulkish to me.

And with Shock Trooper, it doesn't matter what is AC is, it's gonna be crap regardless. Where is Fist of the Forests from?

FotF is from Complete Champion and it's not like we're gonna charge EVERY round, especially if adding Hulking Hurler. And yeah. At least he'll have a fckton of HP. Some DR would be nice though.

How about Warblade2/Stoneblessed 3/Barbarian1/Hulking Hurler3/Frenzied Berserker 1/Warhulk 10?

Doesn't Warhulk also give you throwing stuff? Mighty Rock Throwing and stuff?

Hulking Hurler gives you Throw Anything which feels appropriate. Also, you'll be featstarved without Monk which is why I crammed it there in the first place. Sufficient to say, throwing a car/wagon/dragon is much cooler than throwing a weapon/rock. But yeah, War Hulk has "Mighty Rock Throwing" and such.

By the way, getting Necklace of Natural Attacks with Valorous (double damage on charge) and Skillful (get Medium BAB; improvement over War Hulk) seems like a really good idea.

Btw, quick math: The Rage Str on level 20, given 12 base Str, is:
+6 Mountain Rage
+2 Reckless Rage (feat)
+6 Frenzy
+20 Warhulk

or 46. Note that this is without ANY magic whatsoever. Indeed, the whole character doesn't need to have anything to do with magic.

Also, Con (given 18 base; we can do that, can't we?):
+2 Stoneblessed
+4 Rage
+2 Reckless Rage

This is without considering the possible level-ups and inherents or anything to that effect - just his natural Con. With level-ups, it's 30 which already makes for a decent HP buffer. Also, he qualifies for Roll With It which grants DR 2/- (he gets Toughness to qualify for it from Stoneblessed) and stacks with itself, so we could get DR 10/- if we invested 5 feats in it (though finding the feats may be hard).

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-05, 08:11 PM
Qualifies you as a "Race of stone" and gives you miscellaneous bonuses. Basically, with Stoneblessed level 3 ability, any character can qualify for Goliath/Dwarf/Gnome Anything (choice done on taking the first PrC level). It also gives you +2 Con as the other relevant part ('cause while low Str is doable, you'll want a lot of Con even in Banner-form just for this to work out). I agree, a lot of Con is going to be a very good idea.

Yeah. The table doesn't list fast movement but nowhere is it mentioned that the sub level would cost you fast movement. YMMV. We'll leave it as a 'possible cheese' option.

War Hulk does not have full BAB. In fact, it has no BAB. It just increases your Str every level. Also, Stoneblessed is a Medium BAB class so a non-Goliath loses 1 point either way. Eeep! I did not notice that War Hulk has no BAB. That... hurts. A LOT. That's like 10 BAB we don't get. Like... casters will have higher BAB.

Ex-Monkism is no problem; he had an orderly mind before...well, y'know. The real reason to take Monk is that this build is hungry for a lot of feats (seriously, check F. Berserker's prerequisites and think how many specific ones he WANTS in addition) and Monk provides three feats that, using fighting styles (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#monkVariantFightingSty les), are all on our "wanted"-list (IUS is obvious and we can get stuff like Improved Trip/Power Attack/Improved Grapple/Improved Bull Rush [Shock Trooper Prereq]/whatever for the first 2 levels). You... have a point. Plus, Overwhelming Attack monk variant gives us Power Attack without the requsite Str 13, which is a good bypass so that we can qualify faster, because Banner certainly isn't going to have a Str of 13.

Necklace of Natural Attacks. Just, using items for key parts of the build doesn't feel very hulkish to me. True, but two levels of Kensai is going to murder the build. And it is something we can throw our WBL at to fix.

FotF is from Complete Champion and it's not like we're gonna charge EVERY round, especially if adding Hulking Hurler. And yeah. At least he'll have a fckton of HP. Some DR would be nice though.Which is why I was looking at Warblade. Stone Power lets you take a -5 on your attack to give you 10 temporary hit points. It lasts for one round. And can be done every round. That's effectively negating the first 10 damage every round, which is not bad. Some extra DR would be nice, but barring extreme cheese, I don't see a way to do it.

Hulking Hurler gives you Throw Anything which feels appropriate. Also, you'll be featstarved without Monk which is why I crammed it there in the first place. Sufficient to say, throwing a car/wagon/dragon is much cooler than throwing a weapon/rock. But yeah, War Hulk has "Mighty Rock Throwing" and such.

By the way, getting Necklace of Natural Attacks with Valorous (double damage on charge) and Skillful (get Medium BAB; improvement over War Hulk) seems like a really good idea.

So, we're looking at Monk2 (overwhelming attack style)/Stoneblessed3/Barbarian1/Hulking Hurler2/Warblade1/War Hulk10/FB1

Ranged Power Attack from HH2, don't need HH3, really.

Also, is the any way to gain any kind of Fast Healing ability on the cheap? He's GOT a boatload of hit points, so maybe the best way for him to mitigate damage is just to heal it?

Starbuck_II
2009-08-05, 08:19 PM
Which is why I was looking at Warblade. Stone Power lets you take a -5 on your attack to give you 10 temporary hit points. It lasts for one round. And can be done every round. That's effectively negating the first 10 damage every round, which is not bad. Some extra DR would be nice, but barring extreme cheese, I don't see a way to do it.

Crusader levels grant that ability to ignore damage till end of next round. You store the damage in a reserve. Kinda like DR, but better (since applies to magic attacks too).
Similar to the Hulk, the more damage you store in reserves makes you stronger.

You'll need to use some kind of healing strike or healing stance.

Eldariel
2009-08-05, 08:24 PM
Eeep! I did not notice that War Hulk has no BAB. That... hurts. A LOT. That's like 10 BAB we don't get. Like... casters will have higher BAB.

Skillful Fists solve that. Also note that the Monk gives us Flurry of Blows which we can either keep (if pursuing the multi-attack angle; Frenzy already gives him 1 extra and he has iteratives so with Skillful-enhancement putting our BAB at 15, we'd get all but one iterative making Flurry fairly good) or trade for Decisive Strike (if interested in "One Big Hit").

Also note that you can mix'n'match the abilities from the fighting styles as you see fit; only reason to stick through with one is the level 6 ability which we'll never get anyways.

Which is why I was looking at Warblade. Stone Power lets you take a -5 on your attack to give you 10 temporary hit points. It lasts for one round. And can be done every round. That's effectively negating the first 10 damage every round, which is not bad. Some extra DR would be nice, but barring extreme cheese, I don't see a way to do it.

Maybe a Crusader-level instead? Delayed Damage Pool seems nice and it's not like there are many maneuvers he'd be using anyways; Crusaders also access Stone Power and Martial Spirit, which feels most appropriate (heal as you beat things up).

So, we're looking at Monk2 (overwhelming attack style)/Stoneblessed3/Barbarian1/Hulking Hurler2/Warblade1/War Hulk10/FB1

Ranged Power Attack from HH2, don't need HH3, really.

Also, is the any way to gain any kind of Fast Healing ability on the cheap? He's GOT a boatload of hit points, so maybe the best way for him to mitigate damage is just to heal it?

Roll with It from Savage Species gets 2/- DR per time we take the feat and stacks with...everything. Something to consider, especially since some Stone Dragon strikes get you DR. Combine this with Stone Power and he'll actually have a decent defensive suite.

Humm, Fast Healing I can only think of Combat Focus for and I don't think we have the feats to pull it off. Besides, it requires BAB +9.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-05, 08:49 PM
Skillful Fists solve that. Also note that the Monk gives us Flurry of Blows which we can either keep (if pursuing the multi-attack angle; Frenzy already gives him 1 extra and he has iteratives so with Skillful-enhancement putting our BAB at 15, we'd get all but one iterative making Flurry fairly good) or trade for Decisive Strike (if interested in "One Big Hit"). Well, there's a 1st level Crusader stance that heals 2 points every time you hit your opponent, so there's some use for lots of hits.

Also note that you can mix'n'match the abilities from the fighting styles as you see fit; only reason to stick through with one is the level 6 ability which we'll never get anyways. Yes, but Improved Bull Rush is prerequisite for Shock trooper anyways

Maybe a Crusader-level instead? Delayed Damage Pool seems nice and it's not like there are many maneuvers he'd be using anyways; Crusaders also access Stone Power and Martial Spirit, which feels most appropriate (heal as you beat things up). I concur.

Roll with It from Savage Species gets 2/- DR per time we take the feat and stacks with...everything. Something to consider, especially since some Stone Dragon strikes get you DR. Combine this with Stone Power and he'll actually have a decent defensive suite. Let's see how many spare feats we have first.

Humm, Fast Healing I can only think of Combat Focus for and I don't think we have the feats to pull it off. Besides, it requires BAB +9.

I've put up a skeleton of a statblock in the OP, with what we have down so far.

Eldariel
2009-08-05, 09:01 PM
Hm, alright, we'll need the prerequisites:

Frenzied Berserker
Power Attack (have)
Cleave
Destructive Rage (ugh)
Intimidating Rage (double ugh)

War Hulk
Cleave

Hulking Hurler
Power Attack (have)
Point Blank Shot (ugh)
Weapon Focus: Any Ranged (double ugh)

Stoneblessed
None (only skill prerequisites - Appraise 2 and Craft: Stonework 5; also Languages of Terran and Goliath are required, and being accepted by Goliath community or W/E)

The prerequisites take 5 unique feats we don't have yet. Add to that Shock Trooper and Leap Attack and we're running thin. Stone Power and I think we've spent all given no flaws (and we'd really like Brutal Throw). Also, Extra Rage.

Fawsto
2009-08-05, 09:02 PM
Shut Up, Hulk's power is to JUMP! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M-Y7tWzzw0)

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-05, 09:14 PM

Frenzied Berserker
Power Attack (have)
Cleave
Destructive Rage (ugh)
Intimidating Rage (double ugh)

War Hulk
Cleave

Hulking Hurler
Power Attack (have)
Point Blank Shot (ugh)
Weapon Focus: Any Ranged (double ugh)

Stoneblessed
None (only skill prerequisites - Appraise 2 and Craft: Stonework 5; also Languages of Terran and Goliath are required, and being accepted by Goliath community or W/E)

The prerequisites take 5 unique feats we don't have yet. Add to that Shock Trooper and Leap Attack and we're running thin. Stone Power and I think we've spent all given no flaws (and we'd really like Brutal Throw). Also, Extra Rage.

We may have a problem qualifying for Warhulk, then. Cleave also requires Str 13. Unless you know of a way to get around that...

also, having trouble filling the 1st level feat slot. Weapon Focus requires BAB +1, which he doesn't have yet, unless you want to stick the Crusader in first, then the two levels of monk. Everything else either requires Rage or Str 13+

We can get Str 13, if we use this chart (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases), once we have our first level of Barbarian after the three levels of Stoneblessed. So we can take that in our 6th level feat slot. He's going to have a +12 to Strength just on size bonuses alone.

also, since we have Intimidating Rage, we might as well go whole hog with the skill trick Never Outnumbered to demoralize as well as attack. That's pretty hulk-ish.

Eldariel
2009-08-05, 09:19 PM
We may have a problem qualifying for Warhulk, then. Cleave also requires Str 13. Unless you know of a way to get around that...

Well, by the table it doesn't. But either way, we can just pick it up after we get Rage and only use it when we Rage. Given that all our related classes are only active when Raging anyways, it's a moot point.

also, since we have Intimidating Rage, we might as well go whole hog with the skill trick Never Outnumbered to demoralize as well as attack. That's pretty hulk-ish.

Yeah, agreed.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-05, 09:26 PM

Frenzied Berserker
Power Attack - Monk Bonus Feat
Cleave - 6th level
Destructive Rage - 9th level feat
Intimidating Rage 12th level feat

War Hulk
Cleave - 6th level

Hulking Hurler
Power Attack (have)
Point Blank Shot (ugh) - Racial Bonus Feat
Weapon Focus: Any Ranged (double ugh) - 3rd level feat

Stoneblessed

After prerequsite feats, we have 2 slots left open, plus a 1st level feat.

Stone Power has a prerequsite of +6 BAB. Don't meet prerequisites for Leap Attack at 1st level, nor Shock Trooper. We have a conundrum.

If we dump Hulking Hurler, the Hulk looses a *LOT* of his ranged damage potential, but this gives us a couple levels in Fighter we can take to get a couple of bonus feats, making feat logistics much easier.

One additional funfact! With Warhulk 10, he gets to attack ALL opponents with line of effect which he threatens. As an attack action. That means he gets to do it for every attack in his full attack progression. Suddenly, the Flurry idea isn't so bad after all, particularly when combined with the ability to heal 2 points after ever hit. Heck, even without a full attack, charging in to the middle of a whole swarm of mooks is a perfectly valid way to heal yourself!

Dixieboy
2009-08-06, 04:42 AM
super man is like pun pun levels man, i mean he has insane DR can shoot lazers from eyes, frost breadth, fly, super strength, incredibley fast, and has vision that can give you cancer.

There's also the "Super womanly intuition", "Super senses", "Super disguise" and like a billion others.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-08-06, 02:43 PM
So any ideas on a 1st level feat? Has to be something he can actually qualify for at 1st level with 0 BAB