PDA

View Full Version : Hippie in the playground

Froogleyboy
2009-08-05, 04:00 PM
I like to count myself as apart of the remaining hippie movement. But what of you, what are your views on Hippies, do you count yourself as a part of the hippie movement?

RabbitHoleLost
2009-08-05, 04:07 PM
I don't know if I could count as a hippie, but I sure as hell try to.
Free love! Music! Peace!
<3
But not drugs, kthnx

Mr.Moron
2009-08-05, 04:10 PM
I really have no opinions on hippies one way or another. Personally, I just don't have the level of energy/passion to be a part of any movement hippie or otherwise. You know but whatever or whatever to each their own. If that's your thing all the more power to ya.

Blue Ghost
2009-08-05, 04:12 PM
I don't know much about the hippie movement, but from what I know about it, I rather disdain it. Especially the "free love" and "drugs" part.

GrandMasterMe
2009-08-05, 04:15 PM
I love hippies *gives hugs*...except when they are on my lawn! :smalltongue:

Icewalker
2009-08-05, 04:18 PM
Well, I live in Berkeley, so...

:smalltongue:

Froogleyboy
It aint about the drugs man. Just . . . A lot of people use 'em

Mauve Shirt
Someone get Smellie_Hippie up here, he's needed for this thread.

Froogleyboy
2009-08-05, 04:19 PM
Well, I live in Berkeley, so...

:smalltongue:

I live in alabama and nothing happens in alabama. You don't gotta live a certain place. Its a state of mind.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-05, 04:28 PM
Pretty much a zombie hippie here, though I've been called the Death Hippie. Apparently I reap hippies and send them off.

Except when there is good (metal)folk music. <3 that, then I become superactive. Or things I like/love may activate me mentally, while good (metal)folk music does both.

Pyrian
2009-08-05, 04:48 PM
There are a lot of hippies at some of the events I go to. (Oregon humor: Q: Why do all the hippies move to Eugene? A: Because there are no jobs.) I like some aspects of the sub-culture, and dislike other aspects of it. I find it very difficult to immerse myself in it.

Recaiden
2009-08-05, 04:50 PM
Hippies are pretty cool. I like most parts of the movement, a few parts not so much. I wouldn't say I'm one of them though.

Starscream
2009-08-05, 04:56 PM
Hippies: An Analysis by Starscream

Music: Good
Fashion: Acceptable outside of somber occasions like state funerals
Hygiene: Questionable
Reality Awareness: Dave's not here, man
Is that really a VW van?!: Yes
What does it run on?: Hemp
Political ideals: Peace and love
Hypocrisy: Minimal
Hair Styles: Well, the 60s have the 70s beat at least
Is that...Keith Richards?!: Yes
What does he run on?: Hemp
Notable Achievements: Vietnam, segregation and Richard Nixon? Totally called it in all cases!
First Man on Moon: 1969
First Hippie on Moon: 1966 (Hallucinogens were involved)

Conclusion: Ate all my Doritos.

Moff Chumley
2009-08-05, 05:30 PM
Hippie child here. Insanely long hair, odd music, cynical attitudes towards two of the two topics banned on this forum, and half my FB status updates end with "peace+love". I'll hold on the drugs thing, though.

snoopy13a
2009-08-05, 05:59 PM
I have no problem with true hippies. However, most that I've run into are "Trustificanians" aka "Trust-Fund Hippies". They are the ones who preach saving the environment while driving a brand new SUV that mommy and daddy bought for them. Essentially it is just a phase for them before they settle down and join the country club :smalltongue:

Dragonrider
2009-08-05, 06:04 PM
*ahem*

<< avvie. :smalltongue:

In all seriousness...yeah. :smallamused: I was raised by TV-less, 95% organic (it would be 100% but some things are impossible to find organic), unschooling, homemade, environmentalist, sitting-in-the-park-late-at-night-singing-with-guitars parents. Took me a while to realize that was what we were, really, because of the whole drugged-up rep (and no one in my family drinks or smokes or nothin'). Then one day I looked around my house and went, "...huh. I guess we're kind of hippies." :smallbiggrin:

Crimmy
2009-08-05, 06:20 PM
WHAT?!
A hippie thread and no sign of smellie?!
Preposterous!

Froogleyboy
2009-08-05, 06:26 PM
*ahem*

<< avvie. :smalltongue:

In all seriousness...yeah. :smallamused: I was raised by TV-less, 95% organic (it would be 100% but some things are impossible to find organic), unschooling, homemade, environmentalist, sitting-in-the-park-late-at-night-singing-with-guitars parents. Took me a while to realize that was what we were, really, because of the whole drugged-up rep (and no one in my family drinks or smokes or nothin'). Then one day I looked around my house and went, "...huh. I guess we're kind of hippies." :smallbiggrin:

Dude . . . AWESOME. My step-brother turned me on to the Hippie movement. If it wasn't for him I'd have never been arrested for disturbing the peace (sat in front of a strip mall singing songs at 4AM )

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-05, 06:28 PM
WHAT?!
A hippie thread and no sign of smellie?!
Preposterous!
Relax dude....We hippies don't like to be rushed ya know...

Trog
2009-08-05, 06:35 PM
Hippies: An Analysis by Starscream
*snip*
Conclusion: Ate all my Doritos.
*chuckle*

I'm not a hippie, but I play one on TV am pretty laid back. Does that count?

Ishmael
2009-08-05, 11:41 PM
I'm a mountain-hippie, if that counts :P.

Sneak
2009-08-05, 11:46 PM
My dad was a hippie. Lived on a commune in West Virginia and everything.

Now he's a suburban dad/doctor. Funny how things turn out.

I wouldn't consider myself a hippie, personally. I enjoy counterculture-related music and many of their ideals are laudable, but while I don't mind drugs I don't personally partake, and I find myself too lazy and disinterested in politics to take much of an activist stance on anything.

Gorgondantess
2009-08-06, 12:11 AM
Ehehehehm. (http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/103815/)
That is all.

SilentNight
2009-08-06, 12:13 AM
I live in alabama and nothing happens in alabama. You don't gotta live a certain place. Its a state of mind.

Even thirty years since the end of the major civil rights movement, the aura still lingers around Berkeley. :smalltongue: I think some of it has rubbed off on me, music and free love definitely, great things. And in the words of The Beatles, "All you need is love." :smallsmile:

Coidzor
2009-08-06, 12:35 AM
My best friend used to be supportive of the hippies even if he saw them as pretty much complete failures, but then he moved to Eugene, Oregon, which is where the hippies went to die or something, where apparently you can't spit without hitting someone trying to carry the torch onwards.

Now he doesn't so much hate them as find them incredibly annoying and possibly sub-human things to be tormented and messed with, sort of like furries and emo kids.

I, personally, think there can only be the one hippy in the playground. The Smelleh one.

As for the rest, *shrug*

Gorgondantess
2009-08-06, 12:39 AM
Even thirty years since the end of the major civil rights movement, the aura still lingers around Berkeley. :smalltongue: I think some of it has rubbed off on me, music and free love definitely, great things. And in the words of The Beatles, "All you need is love." :smallsmile:

Well, that and air. Air definitely helps. And food and water, those are nice too. Also, a place of shelter isn't absolutely needed, but it's pretty damn nice to have.
Oh, also, things like money (to buy drugs!:smallwink: Also to evolve into a College knowitall hippie, not everyone can get by on a scholarship alone- is nice.:smalltongue:)
I kid, I kid. Well, except about the shelter part, and wanting money. That's pretty much a universal truth, unless you're Buddha.

Felixaar
2009-08-06, 02:20 AM
Some people call me a hippie. I, personally, like the ideals, but the connection with drugs generally makes me a little bit iffy. Though they're more or less unrelated, it's still hard to entirely disconnect from it. That being said, I am wearing a woodstock t-shirt and tie-dye pants. I wish the pants were a little bit warmer.

Jinura
2009-08-06, 05:41 AM
I like the music, if you count Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix and The Beatles as hippie music then I love it.
And the hair style's awesome :D
But the while political ideology of the hippie movement I'm strongly against. And don't really now any hippies I would say.

Felixaar
2009-08-06, 06:22 AM
As far as hippy music goes, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6mKMV0d2cs) and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUSDS9pkA2Y).

thubby
2009-08-06, 07:02 AM
many of the ideas adopted by hippies are good ones. however, it seems that being an actual hippie means taking them too far.
/imho

Dragonrider
2009-08-06, 07:28 AM
Yeah, I'm not for drugs or rampant sex. :smalltongue: however, all the equality and peace stuff I like.

As for music...I'm pretty in to Cat Stevens, as some of you know. The Peace Train man. And, HEY, Feliyo linked it before I did! :smalltongue:

smellie_hippie
2009-08-06, 09:12 AM
Does my not noticing this thread for a couple days help my qualifications as a hippie?

I feel safe in proposing my credentials as a hippie...
I love jam bands.
I enjoy organic food.
I avoid corporate monsters (Wal-Mart, McDonald's, Starbucks most notably).
I play guitar and have long hair.
I believe in peace rather than violence.
however.......
I do not do drugs. :smallyuk:
I do bathe regularly. :smallamused:

That being said, I think the 'hippie mindset' can be a wonderful thing. "Love your neighbor, be good to the Earth, give more than you recieve"... all that kind of stuff. It's not necessarily the sole rights of the hippies to claim those sentiments, but since I like the personality that goes along with the hippie term... I'm cool.

Dragonrider
2009-08-06, 10:02 AM
That being said, I think the 'hippie mindset' can be a wonderful thing. "Love your neighbor, be good to the Earth, give more than you recieve"... all that kind of stuff. It's not necessarily the sole rights of the hippies to claim those sentiments, but since I like the personality that goes along with the hippie term... I'm cool.

Maybe it's overly optimistic of me, and maybe it's just because the majority of the people I associate with are like-minded, but I think that the ideals of freedom, equality of men and women/race, and world peace as a goal are, if not adopted by the mainstream, at least paid lip service to and acknowledged as being admirable.

That was all one sentence. I think I need to work on not being so wordy.

Really, though...society as a whole may be jaded and cynical about peace's chances in the modern world, but few are willing to say openly that women are inferior to men, or that black people are inferior to white people.

Yeah, I know, infernal optimism. But I think it's coming.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-06, 10:05 AM
I do bathe regularly. :smallamused:
The image in my head of you is ruined, ruined I say!

Mr.Moron
2009-08-06, 10:12 AM
Maybe it's overly optimistic of me, and maybe it's just because the majority of the people I associate with are like-minded, but I think that the ideals of freedom, equality of men and women/race, and world peace as a goal are, if not adopted by the mainstream, at least paid lip service to and acknowledged as being admirable.

Then you have people driving around with bumper stickers like this:

http://i32.tinypic.com/29crqyb.jpg

Dragonrider
2009-08-06, 10:16 AM

I'm not going to comment because I don't want to get political. :smalltongue:

Cristo Meyers
2009-08-06, 10:17 AM

Rule of thumb: if someone felt the need to stick their opinion on a car bumper, then you're pretty safe ignoring anything that person has to say.

Mr.Moron
2009-08-06, 10:24 AM
Rule of thumb: if someone felt the need to stick their opinion on a car bumper, then you're pretty safe ignoring anything that person has to say.

I'd really rather make fun of the things they say but I see your point.

Froogleyboy
2009-08-06, 10:34 AM
People people people, Drugs have nothing to do with being a hippie. Some people do drugs to reach a higher state of mind. (i also enjoy my showers)

Dragonrider
2009-08-06, 10:43 AM
People people people, Drugs have nothing to do with being a hippie. Some people do drugs to reach a higher state of mind. (i also enjoy my showers)

I would say the "higher" is debatable. :smalltongue:

Though it depends on what kind of "high" we're talking about. :smallwink:

Recaiden
2009-08-06, 10:46 AM
A different state of mind then.

But what did you mean by?
Yeah, I know, infernal optimism
EDIT:Nevermind, I understand that post and my agreement/reaction to/with it now.

Telonius
2009-08-06, 10:49 AM
There's various degrees of hippie. I'd consider myself hippie-affiliated but not actually a hippie. Peace, love, and music are great, and I'll do what I can to promote them. But they're the goals, not the here and now. I've got to live in a world where racism, intolerance, war, and fear exist; and deal with the other people in the world in terms they'll understand. Attila the Hun isn't going to lay down his sword because somebody gave the dude a flower. But the guy down the street might be convinced that it's a good thing, both for him personally and the world at large, for him to drive a more fuel-efficient vehicle or take the bus.

SilentNight
2009-08-06, 11:27 AM
Well, that and air. Air definitely helps. And food and water, those are nice too. Also, a place of shelter isn't absolutely needed, but it's pretty damn nice to have.
Oh, also, things like money (to buy drugs!:smallwink: Also to evolve into a College knowitall hippie, not everyone can get by on a scholarship alone- is nice.:smalltongue:)
I kid, I kid. Well, except about the shelter part, and wanting money. That's pretty much a universal truth, unless you're Buddha.

:smalltongue: Well of course. I like to think there's a little Buddha in all of us.

Well, Hippies are musicians, and drugs and music have a long and twisted history which I'm not going to get into. And while I don't use them myself, yes people do use them to connect to one another, similar to the free love thing but not as good.

smellie_hippie
2009-08-06, 12:08 PM

That was all one sentence. I think I need to work on not being so wordy.

Really, though...society as a whole may be jaded and cynical about peace's chances in the modern world, but few are willing to say openly that women are inferior to men, or that black people are inferior to white people.

Yeah, I know, infernal optimism. But I think it's coming.

I think you and I feel the same way Dragonrider. Optimism and positive thoughts are what will eventually pull us all towards a happy state of living.

I have no delusions that 'hugs and love' will cure the world of all of it's ills, because some people aren't interested in changing their ways. It's also not right for me to claim that my way is better or that their way is wrong...

But I can tell you for nothing, I truly believe that my foolish (but not rose colored) optimism leaves me much happier at the end of the day. It's kinda like, watching the Daily Show. All the bad news I hear throughout the day gets scrutinized through a humorous lens... and suddenly, it doesn't seem quite so ominous...

TRM
2009-08-06, 12:20 PM
While I agree with many of these legendary hippies' ideas I don't consider myself a hippie. I do love music, I do love organic, I do love love, and I am into peace and all that good stuff.

But I'm opposed to political extremism no matter how noble. I will clip my comment short to avoid a political discussion, but I believe that the most practical way for change is to work within the system that we have, and that extreme measures aren't what we want. I'm wary of overly drastic measures, because they are so likely to go wrong and result in [bad things] without balancing opposition. I am hopeful, however, that we can continue to steadily improve (that is, move towards a society where more people agree with me on these issues) and that life will be better.

Supagoof
2009-08-06, 02:39 PM
The image in my head of you is ruined, ruined I say!DD - where in the username does it say "Rotten Stench" Smellie Hippie?

Delightfully Smellie Hippie is more suitable to his persona and hygiene - having met the man/myth/legend and being adopted into the family.

Optimism and positive thoughts are what will eventually pull us all towards a happy state of living.
Right on brother man. Right on.

And in the words of The Beatles, "All you need is love." Or to quote another Beatles song "You say you want a revolution? Well you know, we don't want to change the world."

sam4books
2009-08-06, 02:55 PM
Oh wow, I never thought I'd met fellow hippies on the interwebs :D

Okay, I'm probably not full hippie(doesn't do drugs and all that jazz), BUT I am a sucker from environmentalism, and would rather die then cut my hair. Hey, long hair is cool! And I hate fighting....no matter what or who started it, I just hate it. Not really a vegeterian though, even though I should be -__-

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-06, 02:57 PM
DD - where in the username does it say "Rotten Stench" Smellie Hippie?

Delightfully Smellie Hippie is more suitable to his persona and hygiene - having met the man/myth/legend and being adopted into the family.

Goof, I was just kidding.

littlequietguy
2009-08-06, 03:01 PM
My philosophy is "real hippies don't call themselves hippies when asked that question".

Froogleyboy
2009-08-06, 03:02 PM
Oh wow, I never thought I'd met fellow hippies on the interwebs :D

Okay, I'm probably not full hippie(doesn't do drugs and all that jazz), BUT I am a sucker from environmentalism, and would rather die then cut my hair. Hey, long hair is cool! And I hate fighting....no matter what or who started it, I just hate it. Not really a vegeterian though, even though I should be -__-

*facepalm* 0-e

sam4books
2009-08-06, 03:04 PM
*sigh*

Let me guess, I made my first prime mistake as a newbie on the second post without even trying didn't I?

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-06, 03:05 PM
Don't worry if you made any, have fun and follow the rules, and you'l be fine.

sam4books
2009-08-06, 03:07 PM
Thanks, its just it's pretty bad when your trying to establish yourself as a new member and then you screw it up. But atleast people here are nice. Not like the last message boards I've been to.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-06, 03:09 PM
Yeah, know the feeling, luckily, this is one of the best, if not the best places on the internet.
Just stick with posting, get a custom avatar(There is a thread in the Arts & Crafts forum) and possibly make very substantial posts and you'l get noticed and established. It'l take time, ofcourse.

smellie_hippie
2009-08-06, 03:10 PM
My philosophy is "real hippies don't call themselves hippies when asked that question".

I disagree with this... but I was labled a hippie long before I took on the patchoulli scented mantle.:smallamused:

As for the disillusionment... you can keep whatever image you like DD. There is nothing in the name that indicates 'smellie' meaningn a bad smell... :smalltongue:

sam4books
2009-08-06, 03:11 PM
Yeah, know the feeling, luckily, this is one of the best, if not the best places on the internet.
Just stick with posting, get a custom avatar(There is a thread in the Arts & Crafts forum) and possibly make very substantial posts and you'l get noticed and established. It'l take time, ofcourse.

Thanks for the help, I'll keep that in mind ^_^

Froogleyboy
2009-08-06, 03:13 PM
You didn't make a mistake :) I just get aggravated when people think you have to do drugs to be a hippie.

sam4books
2009-08-06, 03:17 PM
Oh. Sorry about that :( I really have to stop listening to what some people tell me <_<

Mr.Moron
2009-08-06, 03:18 PM
Someone needs to get a Richard Nixon avatar and just start acting generally ornery in this thread.

smellie_hippie
2009-08-06, 03:19 PM
You didn't make a mistake :) I just get aggravated when people think you have to do drugs to be a hippie.

There's no point in getting aggravated though. It's an unfortunate piece of baggage that comes along with nearly any moniker.

Geeks can't throw a football, and football players aren't smart.

It's just not true, but some people need their preconcieved notions. Let them have them... I find it even more 'revolutionary' to break the mold and not fit into a particular box. I actually fond of my rhombus... :smallamused:

Dragonrider
2009-08-06, 03:22 PM
Someone needs to get a Richard Nixon avatar and just start acting generally ornery in this thread.

Rutskarn'll do it. :smallamused:

Recaiden
2009-08-06, 03:23 PM
Oh. Sorry about that :( I really have to stop listening to what some people tell me <_<

Don't worry about, really. Some people are just so uptight about drugs.:smalltongue:
But Rutskarn hardly ever changes avatars. Neither do his alter egos, do they?

Supagoof
2009-08-06, 03:28 PM
I've always considered his alter ego to be fun loving and peaceful. Which one was that, lemme check...Player Zero - yeah that alter ego.

DD - I knows you're kidding. I just needed to point out that our ancient hippie hero does indeed keep himself clean. :smallbiggrin:

Blue Ghost
2009-08-06, 03:32 PM
I guess hippieism(?) just doesn't work with us Lawful folks.

Froogleyboy
2009-08-06, 03:44 PM
There's no point in getting aggravated though. It's an unfortunate piece of baggage that comes along with nearly any moniker.

Geeks can't throw a football, and football players aren't smart.

It's just not true, but some people need their preconcieved notions. Let them have them... I find it even more 'revolutionary' to break the mold and not fit into a particular box. I actually fond of my rhombus... :smallamused:

whoa . . . nice

Shraik
2009-08-06, 03:49 PM
I fit a similar stereotype to hippie. Long hair, don't shave, where lots of oddly colored shirts(mostly hawaiin). My musicals tastes are strictly of that era, save for System of A Down. Except the grateful dead. Only band of that era that just doesn't work for me.
I believe that the world could be united through music, and that if we could all put our differences aside and just live a life enriched with musical enlightenment, the world would be nicer.

Too bad that ain't happening unless someone makes it happen.

sam4books
2009-08-06, 04:00 PM
I believe that the world could be united through music, and that if we could all put our differences aside and just live a life enriched with musical enlightenment, the world would be nicer.

I agree with this statement :D

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-06, 04:02 PM
Except then people would start argueing about which music genre is better...

sam4books
2009-08-06, 04:05 PM
Yeeaaah.....Personally, I'm neutral on the entire thing. Even though I tend to lean toward the Classic/Alternitive Rock side of the pool :/

Trog
2009-08-06, 05:15 PM
*wanders into thread again and hands out glass bottles of CokeŽ*

Trog only had enough cash to buy them for the thread... not the world. And you can all forget the idea of Trog teaching you to sing in perfect harmony. Mainly because Trog's tone deaf.

*sips from his bottle. Sits down on the grass*

Moff Chumley
2009-08-06, 08:13 PM
MATH!
Hippyism=Trying to improve the world
Drugs=Running away from the world

So, yah. If you stop and think about it, drugs never enter into the realm of the true hippy. And if Frank Zappa didn't need drugs to do what he did, NO ONE does. :smallamused:

thubby
2009-08-07, 12:14 AM
MATH!
Hippyism=Trying to improve the world
Drugs=Running away from the world

So, yah. If you stop and think about it, drugs never enter into the realm of the true hippy. And if Frank Zappa didn't need drugs to do what he did, NO ONE does. :smallamused:

and who says the world wouldn't be better if more people ran away from it?

SilentNight
2009-08-07, 02:07 AM

Proof (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us-TVg40ExM)

thubby
2009-08-07, 02:34 AM

i so want to link to some guys getting in a fight over a band/singer/genre, unfortunately i don't keep such a vid on hand.

Erothayce
2009-08-07, 05:52 AM
I find new age hippies to be a terrible parody of what was once a valid movement that had something to say and tried to do something about situations that they thought were wrong in the world. Today's hippies do nothing but complain. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-07, 03:29 PM
Coincedentally, Woodstock was 40 years ago, exactly.

Shraik
2009-08-07, 03:35 PM

In honesty, I plan to do something similar with my life. After I go through college. Plan to travel the world in order to enlighten myself with music. This is seriously something amazing that's being done.

Moff Chumley
2009-08-07, 07:15 PM

Because you can't actually run away from the world. You just stop reacting and affecting it, but you're still there.

Coidzor
2009-08-07, 07:57 PM
The easier to cook up a scheme to round up those who don't want agency and remove them. kekekekekekekekekekekee.

Excuse me, I have a new Zarist plot for world domination I've just hatched.

Felixaar
2009-08-07, 08:21 PM
As for music...I'm pretty in to Cat Stevens, as some of you know. The Peace Train man. And, HEY, Feliyo linked it before I did! :smalltongue:

Yer-a gettin' slow, ol' gal :smalltongue:

Dragonrider
2009-08-07, 08:23 PM
Yer-a gettin' slow, ol' gal :smalltongue:

....says the guy who responded more than a page and a half later. :smallbiggrin:

Felixaar
2009-08-07, 08:37 PM
....says the guy who responded more than a page and a half later. :smallbiggrin:

...you win this round :smalltongue:

More in the spirt of this thread...

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/5216/picture058h.jpg

Coidzor
2009-08-07, 08:44 PM
There's just something about changing your name after you get big that strikes me as awfully tacky and chintzy though, so I never could really appreciate Cat Stevens: the music for Cat Stevens no longer existing, not even as a ghost or dead guy.

Anuan
2009-08-07, 08:51 PM
I often get asked if/told I'm a hippy, so I guess I look like one (though the long hair and goatee have also gotten me termed a 'rocker,' 'metalhead' and, in one or two situations, a 'bikie.' Go figure.) a little bit.

Peace and love, sure, it's cool. Doubt it'll happen in my lifetime though. While I prefer to stay away from non-competitive violence, I won't hesitate to defend myself or someone else who needs it via the application of physical force. I tend to stick to a Chinese kung fu proverb; "Never attack first. Always hit first."

I'm into folk music, does that count as hippy? Mostly british and celtic folk, though.

Drugs? Pfft.

'Free Love'? Which, the original 'marriage is a form of social bondage and is wrong' or 'lets have sex with everyone!'? Cause, uh...I don't agree with either. If we're going to use it in the sense of 'everyone should be free to love whoever/whatever and however they want,' I'll go with that, though I've never heard a hippy define Free Love that way.

So, I guess I'm kind of...well, not really a hippy, though I agree with some of the base ideals?

Coidzor
2009-08-07, 09:02 PM
Free love: it's either a bad idea which does nothing but mess with people and spread disease because they're too stupid to use condoms or it's a no-brainer which we're already doing.

Moff Chumley
2009-08-07, 09:30 PM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/drama.png

Yah. Free Love doesn't work very well.

Felixaar
2009-08-08, 12:00 AM
To be honest I think of "free love" more as unconditional love to all things rather than, well, having sex with no regard for the consequences.

Coidzor
2009-08-08, 12:14 AM
Well, then you're just using the wrong terminology alltogether. :smallconfused:

Universal love is different.

As is unconditional love. Especially since we think you have to be a deity to get it right, usually...

Dracomorph
2009-08-08, 12:48 AM
I do think it wouldn't hurt everyone to chill out, examine their prejudices, and drop the silly ones.

On the other hand, I've been a rampant bitter pessimist since about age 7, and most hippy music irritates me with it's meandering. GAH! It's like ragtime that never ends! (I love the ragtime, BTW. But the constant false endings make good comparison.)

Dragonrider
2009-08-08, 07:07 AM
There's just something about changing your name after you get big that strikes me as awfully tacky and chintzy though, so I never could really appreciate Cat Stevens: the music for Cat Stevens no longer existing, not even as a ghost or dead guy.

Well, initially his name was Steven Georgiou, and he was playing under Steve Adams because his last name was too difficult to pronounce...and when he got picked up by the company there was some deal with his name and his girlfriend suggested that he be "Cat" because he had eyes like a cat. He still went by Steve amongst his friends, though. And THEN after that I guess he changed it actually legally because he didn't want to be recognized as Cat Stevens anymore.

I dunno...whatever floats your boat, I guess. :smalltongue:

AKA_Bait
2009-08-08, 08:23 AM
I used to consider myself something of a hippie back in high school because I was ultraliberal and into sixties music. Then I went to college for 2 years in Oregon and found most hippies I met were actually just rich kids who used it as an excuse to act irresponsibly and selfishly (no job, much pot, etc.). Since then I no longer consider myself a hippie despite the usually long hair, beard, liberal politics and preference for folk music.

Coidzor
2009-08-08, 02:35 PM
He still went by Steve amongst his friends, though. And THEN after that I guess he changed it actually legally because he didn't want to be recognized as Cat Stevens anymore.

See, that was all before he got big though, so it really doesn't figure into it. :smalltongue:

Also, terrible shame to love someone who was ashamed of what he did to such an extent.

Dragonrider
2009-08-08, 04:20 PM
Also, terrible shame to love someone who was ashamed of what he did to such an extent.

Eh. It was 30 years ago. Judging by the fact that he's made a return to music, I think he's come to terms with it all. :smalltongue:

But, to be honest, I've learned not to delve too deeply into the pasts and personal lives of celebrities, because they usually disappoint. Cat/Yusuf is okay by me because I think he was honest about the things he did and was really looking for the right thing in life...but a lot of celebs not so much.

Felixaar
2009-08-08, 10:02 PM
Well, then you're just using the wrong terminology alltogether. :smallconfused:

Universal love is different.

As is unconditional love. Especially since we think you have to be a deity to get it right, usually...

I don't see how you've arrived at this conclusion. To be honest, if "Free Love" were to mean physical relations with any- and everyone, then the term "Free Sex" would probably be a lot more accurate. Free Love, to me, is just what it says - love, for free :smalltongue: which is unconditional love all over, really. You don't have to earn it and there's nothing that qualifies it, it's just love.

Recaiden
2009-08-08, 10:09 PM
I don't see how you've arrived at this conclusion. To be honest, if "Free Love" were to mean physical relations with any- and everyone, then the term "Free Sex" would probably be a lot more accurate. Free Love, to me, is just what it says - love, for free :smalltongue: which is unconditional love all over, really. You don't have to earn it and there's nothing that qualifies it, it's just love.

Maybe I'm not understanding how you mean to use "love" here, but that sounds like it would lead to more problems than it solves.

Pyrian
2009-08-08, 10:47 PM
Given that the rallying cry of the peace/free love movement for so long was "make love not war" I'm pretty sure screwing a lot was an essential feature of the philosophy at the time. Note that they didn't particularly distinguish between chaste love and passionate love the way Christianity in particular tends to.

Moff Chumley
2009-08-08, 10:49 PM
I used to consider myself something of a hippie back in high school because I was ultraliberal and into sixties music. Then I went to college for 2 years in Oregon and found most hippies I met were actually just rich kids who used it as an excuse to act irresponsibly and selfishly (no job, much pot, etc.). Since then I no longer consider myself a hippie despite the usually long hair, beard, liberal politics and preference for folk music.

That's no reason to give up on calling yourself a hippy... those guys weren't hippies, they were asshats. Being a hippy involves acknowledging not only that the world has problems, but that you can do something about them.

littlequietguy
2009-08-08, 11:05 PM
I personally don't think that drugs in the specific way hippies use it is always that bad.
Alcohol can be much worse.

Moff Chumley
2009-08-08, 11:28 PM
I personally don't think that drugs in the specific way hippies use it is always that bad.
Alcohol can be much worse.

Well, a blanket statement 'Drugs=Evil' is of course wrong, but you gotta draw the line between a stoner and a guy who smokes once in a while with friends. Nothing wrong with social smoking, but letting it run your life is of course not a fun path.

Coidzor
2009-08-09, 01:41 AM
Aye, drug dependency is an ugly, ugly thing. Also, the bits about profiting from the suffering of others by prolonging and worsening said suffering.

Felix: Pretty much what Pyrian said, really. It's pretty much dealing with the sexual side of things, traditionally as regards to marriage. Sure, it's not all about promiscuity and permissiveness (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_love#1940s_-_1960s), but it does carry those connotations. I was a bit harsh when I first brought it up, and I apologize for that, but I still do not feel that applying the term free love to your belief is thematically appropriate due to the obfuscation it could and has just now caused.

SilentNight
2009-08-09, 11:34 AM
There's a philosophy which I quite like which says "love is not a feeling, it's a state you dwell in." Which essentially says, that when you are in love, you're at peace with everything, and therefore love everything, or something like that. This is what the hippies did. The "make love not war" thing was just an extension.

Froogleyboy
2009-08-09, 07:38 PM

Whooooooooa thats deep man

Anuan
2009-08-09, 09:15 PM
Whooooooooa thats deep man

This statement is why people groan and ignore hippies when they say stuff :smalltongue:

Vespe Ratavo
2009-08-10, 08:04 AM
...am I a hippie? :smallconfused:

*measures hair* Pretty long.
*looks inside refrigerator* Organic, vegetarian.
*looks at music collection* Beatles, Hendrix, Stones...more Beatles.
*looks at clothes* ...needs moar Beatles.
*looks at drugs* Do not want.
*looks at peace* Give it a chance.
*looks at war* When you talk about destruction, don't you know that you can count me out.
*looks at love* All you need, man.

Guess I am. I try, anyway. :smalltongue: