PDA

View Full Version : Suvie's Children?

CasESenSITItiVE
2009-08-05, 06:27 PM
This sounds like it's come up before, but i couldn't find it in a search...

why are V's children dark-skinned? looking through some older comics, i noticed both of them have darker skin, but both V and Kyrie have fair skin

Exterminatus
2009-08-05, 06:28 PM

why are V's children dark-skinned? looking through some older comics, i noticed both of them have darker skin, but both V and Kyrie have fair skin

They're adopted.

Lissou
2009-08-05, 06:41 PM

V and K are both androgynous, which is a running gag. If they had biological kids, it would mean that they're of opposite genders, therefore making them slightly less ambiguous, as there would only be 2 options (V male and K female or V female and K male).
With the kids being adopted, there are 4 options (the two mentioned earlier, + both female or both male).

EDIT to add precisions: The Giant gave them darker skin because if they had looked the same, everybody would have assumed they were biological kids because it's more common. As it would be awkward to put in the dialogue ("oh no, the dragon is trying to kill our adopted kids!"), he made it obvious through the art.
It also gives elves more variety (they were pretty much all the same skin colour up to that point).

quick_comment
2009-08-05, 06:52 PM
From 631 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0631.html), 8th panel :

"An hour?!? My adopted progeny will be long dead by then, imp!"

Thanatosia
2009-08-05, 07:33 PM
If they had biological kids, it would mean that they're of opposite genders, therefore making them slightly less ambiguous, as there would only be 2 options (V male and K female or V female and K male).
Nah, it would have just represented another opportunity for Arcane Magic to Trumph. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0009.html)

Optimystik
2009-08-05, 10:26 PM
Nah, it would have just represented another opportunity for Arcane Magic to Trumph. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0009.html)

And once again the door to "polymorphed parents carrying children to term" is blasted off its hinges.

@OP: Both Wild Elves and Wood Elves have the kind of skin and hair coloration we see in V's children. I don't know which, if any, established elven subraces Rich is using in OotS however (well, besides drow anyway.)

B.I.T.T.
2009-08-06, 07:00 PM
Well the true answer to why V's kids have...hmmm "V's Kids", that name has "Future Telethon" written all over it.

Anyway the true answer to why V's kids have darker skin the V and his or her wife and/or husband is that their genetic make-up is arranged in such a way so as to allow that particular skin pigmentation characteristic to manifest itself upon the aformentioned progeny. Explained, as it was above, by the fact that the two figures charged with the duties of providing parental services to said children were not themselves responsible their conception. Rather, they took it upon themselves to raise these children in the stead of their natural parents.

Elfin
2009-08-06, 07:07 PM
V's and Suvie's children are adopted.

Squark
2009-08-06, 07:32 PM
And once again the door to "polymorphed parents carrying children to term" is blasted off its hinges.

@OP: Both Wild Elves and Wood Elves have the kind of skin and hair coloration we see in V's children. I don't know which, if any, established elven subraces Rich is using in OotS however (well, besides drow anyway.)

So this brings up another question- Which, of the myriad of elven subraces, do V's kids belong too?

Watcher
2009-08-06, 08:01 PM
They life in a forest. Probably wood if they hadn't been shipped in a crate in order to come from somewhere else? I dunno, elves are weird like that.

AlexanderRM
2009-08-06, 09:10 PM
As it would be awkward to put in the dialogue ("oh no, the dragon is trying to kill our adopted kids!"), he made it obvious through the art.

He actually did do that anyway, as quick_comment noted.

Puns de León
2009-08-06, 09:20 PM
Wild elves are supposed to have black to brown hair, while wood elves sport yellow to coppery red.
One of V's kids has red hair, while the other's is green, so they could be wood elves, if the Giant intended the hair to signify anything at all. I doubt there's much to read into, though, other than the skin colour.
Are there elves in D&D with purple hair, or green, or any of the colours shown on the heads of the members of Team Peregrine?

rewinn
2009-08-06, 09:25 PM
One of V's kids has red hair, while the other's is green, so they could be wood elves, if the Giant intended the hair to signify anything at all. I doubt there's much to read into, though, other than the skin colour.

Red.

And Green.

Obviously: Christmas Elves!

vampire2948
2009-08-07, 04:58 AM
y'know, I was wondering - Perhaps V has more children than hir adopted projeny who stay with Inky? We know that V isn't a virgin (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0625.html) (panels 4 and 5) - so it is technically possible.. hmm.. of course, there is nothing to back this up. Ignore me.

*flees to a different thread*

Dark Faun
2009-08-07, 08:56 AM
If V had more children than the two we saw, the mother black dragon would have mentioned them since she probably asked the oracle about V's children.

Squark
2009-08-07, 01:55 PM
Yeah, I'm inclined to believe that if had been any more children, we would have seen them as the dragon was preparing to kill/torture them.

Cizak
2009-08-07, 05:33 PM
V's and Suvie's children are adopted.

V is both the parents?:smalleek: What happened to Kyrie?:smallconfused:

Kish
2009-08-07, 05:35 PM
Inkyrius is sexless while Vaarsuvius is hermaphroditic, you see. *ducks*

Bibliomancer
2009-08-07, 05:42 PM
In Races of the Wild's chapter on elves, it explains that elven children (after they are house-broken) are rotated to be raised by relatives for a few years at a time because elves like children but also like their privacy, so they don't want to have it violated for decades at a time, which explains why the children are 'adopted.' Interestingly, if the normal view stands, this implies that V or Kyrie have siblings or cousins.

As for the pigmentation difference, it is possible that the children are part wild elf if they were third cousins once removed to V. Other theories that have been mentioned on previous threads relating to this topic include pigmentation differences on the same scale as hair color differences (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0670.html), the children being highly tanned (which would be unusual) and elves being born with dark skin that lightens as they go through life, like some humans have their hair color grow darker as they age from childhood to adulthood.

Mc. Lovin'
2009-08-08, 08:48 AM
As it would be awkward to put in the dialogue ("oh no, the dragon is trying to kill our adopted kids!"), he made it obvious through the art.

From 631 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0631.html), 8th panel :

"An hour?!? My adopted progeny will be long dead by then, imp!"

Wow that was uncanny