PDA

View Full Version : Chain Contingency

Korivan
2009-08-05, 07:11 PM
Hi, I looking to either find something that was in 2nd edition that was brought into 3rd, or houserule it into 3rd. Chain Contingency went like this...

9th level
lasted 1 day per caster lever or until discharged.
took two different effects, determined at time of casting.
either two spells of eight level or lower go off at same time, or three spells go off 1 each round for 3 rounds, of 8th level or lower.
obviously, you can't place a contingency as part of the spell, nor could you make this have the same trigger as contingency. Otherwise, acted the same as its lower level counterpart. Could only have one on at a time.

So, what do you think, is this out there that I missed? WOTC scrapped it?

arguskos
2009-08-05, 07:13 PM
Chain Contingency was scrapped for 3.5 because of power concerns, almost certainly. It's like a better Contingency spell, and Contingency is already stupid powerful.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-08-05, 07:58 PM
I don't know if it still goes by chain contingency (I think it does), but I know I saw that spell in some 3e book, most likely a Forgotten Realms book. Sorry I can't be more specific, but it definitely exists.

FMArthur
2009-08-05, 08:09 PM
Craft Contingent Spell is a feat in Complete Arcane that urinates all over the action economy's grave. You make a contingent spell from any of the spells you can cast, and it can be on yourself or on someone else. You can have as many contingent spells on you as your hit dice. You do need to pay a cost of 50gp x spell level x caster level, and 4exp x spell level x caster level.

arguskos
2009-08-05, 10:51 PM
I don't know if it still goes by chain contingency (I think it does), but I know I saw that spell in some 3e book, most likely a Forgotten Realms book. Sorry I can't be more specific, but it definitely exists.
Eh.... I have all the Faerunian books (save two), and I can't find it anywhere. I don't actually think chain contingency was brought back.

Ah! With some searching, I found it. It was printed in Tome and Blood, for 3.0.

peacenlove
2009-08-06, 12:08 AM
If i am not mistaken chain contingency is in the Tome and Blood splatbook (3.0). hasn't been updated to 3.5 so its fair play :smallbiggrin: and its like contingency but 3 spells are triggered and up to 9th level.
EDIT: It is indeed in Tome and blood page 86 but accepts the spells that the normal contingency accept. They can all fire at the same round or one spell per round.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-08-06, 07:45 AM
Ah! With some searching, I found it. It was printed in Tome and Blood, for 3.0.

Well, it wasn't FR, but at least I'm not seeing things!