PDA

View Full Version : International Subs!

Boo
2009-08-05, 07:23 PM
I must say, there are a lot of people out there who like different sandwiches than myself. It's so very queer. Well, no it's not, but why not talk about sandwiches? I love them. So simple, yet so complex. So lovely, yet so ugly. Aren't sandwiches wonderful? What is your favourite? What tastes the best? Are you patriotic about your sandwiches?

Personally, I like to stick to a BLT (bacon, lettuce, tomato), and sometimes a philly (steak and cheese). I'm not a big fan of fish, mind you, so I tend to stay away from tuna salad, and its friends.

Lord Herman
2009-08-05, 07:26 PM
And here I was, thinking this thread was going to be about submarines... :smalltongue:

arguskos
2009-08-05, 07:26 PM
Mmmm... sandwiches. My personal favorite sandwich is two pieces of asiago bread, with some spicy brown mustard, two pieces of a nice swiss (not too strong though), 3 pieces of shaved honey ham, and 3 pieces of shaved turkey. That right there, that's a hella good sandwich.

Pyrian
2009-08-05, 07:28 PM
And here I was, thinking this thread was going to be about submarines... :smalltongue:I thought the other thread was going to be about sandwiches! I was very disappointed. :smallcool:

Spiryt
I'm kinda cottage cheese adict and I like it very much too.

Sandwich with butter, cheese, cucumber and boiled egg is pretty wonderful.

Also, honey.

Ash08
personally i like most all sandwiches... i don't think there's a sandwich I(as long as it's well made) that i don't like. Actually in general princible, I don't like sweet sandwiches, but other than that... they're all good!

The Rose Dragon
2009-08-05, 07:29 PM
I thought this was going to be about anime subtitles.

Damn you people, just make the title "International Sandwiches"! "Subs" refers to subtitles!

((I know about submarine sandwiches, dammit!))

Cyrano
2009-08-05, 07:29 PM
Lime plus creme fraiche makes an excellent condiment. So does spinach.

TRM
2009-08-05, 07:33 PM
Submarine sandwiches are the way to go. I prefer mine with cold cuts and cheese and lettuce and tomatoes and pickles and mustard and mayonnaise and peppers and olives and ranch dressing and more cheese.

I am also very partial to grilled cheese, preferably with orange cheddar and a slice of ham in the middle (mmm comfort food).

Sandwiches are quite possibly the greatest food known to man. Not only are they simple, but it isn't difficult to make a mouthwatering sandwich, and they are delicious in so many of their permutations. The key to making a good sandwich is crafting it so that it is easy to eat; I can't stand sandwiches with miles of toppings on huge crusty rolls that you can't even bite.

Mauve Shirt
2009-08-05, 07:34 PM
Hummus, tomato, and balsamic vinaigrette. Delicious.
Or toasted ham and cheese.

Keld Denar
2009-08-05, 07:34 PM
Man, I miss the bread I had in Germany. German grau brot with a little butter makes such wonderful sandwiches. A little spicy brown mustard and a fresh wurst and Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Extra m's mean its REALLY tasty. My host-dad used to put fried eggs on his sandwiches, which is also very tasty in indescibable ways!

golentan
2009-08-05, 07:40 PM
A good sandwich must include at least 7 distinct ingredients, encompassing a variety of vegetables, condiments, flavors and textures. I prefer a sausage of some sort as the primary ingredient, with pepperoni being my favorite. I do not enjoy most cheeses, though mozzarella is acceptable and some others are good when melted and served hot.

Vaynor
2009-08-05, 07:44 PM
My favorite sandwich is a toasted mayo turkey and swiss on wheat bread. Yummy.

THAC0
2009-08-05, 07:52 PM
Salmon BLT.

Fresh Alaska Salmon (and I do mean fresh), on fresh baked focaccia, with basil aioli, beefsteak tomatoes, thick slices of bacon and some lovely lettuce.

Mauve Shirt
2009-08-05, 08:00 PM
Man, I miss the bread I had in Germany. German grau brot with a little butter makes such wonderful sandwiches. A little spicy brown mustard and a fresh wurst and Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Extra m's mean its REALLY tasty.

Oh gosh yes, I miss those. The lack of good bread is really noticeable when one tries to make good wurst.

Mr.Moron
2009-08-05, 08:00 PM
I can't choose! There are a lot of good sandwiches out there. If I was to name the first few that came to mind: Steak & Cheese /w Onions & Mushrooms, Reuben, Lobster Roll.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-05, 08:10 PM
Good old Peanut Butter and Jelly.

Sometimes I mix it up with Peanut Butter and Marshmallow Fluff, or Peanut Butter, Jelly, and Fluff.

Sneak
2009-08-05, 08:11 PM
I almost always stick with a good ole Philly cheesesteak. I'm not a huge sandwich fan, to be honest. BLTs are alright, though.

It's seems that my sub preferences are compatible with yours, Mr. Boo. Clearly, we must be soulmates.

Anuan
2009-08-05, 08:47 PM
Steak, bacon, red onion, black olives, iceberg lettuce, a few slices of green jalapeno, at least three kinds of cheese (preferably including mozzarella, especially if it's to be toasted or at least heated enough for the cheese to melt. <3 mozzarella). Cracked black pepper, some australian mustard or tomato sauce, or a mixture of tomato sauce and worcestershire, remove the pepper. Maybe some shredded carrot. Fried egg, hard.

That's in no particular order, just a list of the ingredients. Best sandwhich -ever.-

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-08-05, 09:01 PM
Anuan, I think I just had a sandwich-gasm.

Anyways, I like Philly sandwhiches, and BLTs are good, and you can't beat a good Grilled Cheese. But I think Anuan's still wins.

Eldan
2009-08-06, 01:54 AM
I prefer the "everything I had left in the fridge"-sandwich. And since MyFridge (tm) always has to contain at least five kinds of cheese, three kinds of curry sauce and lots of red pepper, that's usually in it. I'm also a fan of the one my father used to make: olives, onions, tomatoes, mozzarella, mortadella, basilicum, oregano, olive oil, some salt, ciabbata bread.

By the way: why do so many people call sandwiches "subs" in english?

billtodamax
2009-08-06, 02:24 AM
Peanut butter and honey is surprisingly nice. And ridiculously easy to make, of course.

Anuan
2009-08-06, 02:34 AM
Peanut butter and honey is surprisingly nice. And ridiculously easy to make, of course.

QFT.
Charactersforpost.

Boo
2009-08-06, 02:43 AM
By the way: why do so many people call sandwiches "subs" in english?

Submarine sandwiches: those really long ones. I was just parodying a thread title, and made the topic based on the last few posts of that thread. Do note that I make fun of everything, so please don't take offense and bring up any bad feelings.

Eldan
2009-08-06, 02:45 AM
I'm not even remotely offended, just wondering where the term came from. I had heard it a few times before, but couldn't think of any reason why. So, large sandwiches look like submarines?

Dispozition
2009-08-06, 02:50 AM
Vegemite and Cheese sandwiches...Greatest creation this side of the everything :P

As for these subs of which you speak...Errr...Not sure? I don't eat them often...Last time I went to subway was over a year ago and I don't make them at home...

Boo
2009-08-06, 03:15 AM
I'm not even remotely offended, just wondering where the term came from. I had heard it a few times before, but couldn't think of any reason why. So, large sandwiches look like submarines?

*hint hint* (http://images.google.com/images?q=sub%20sandwich&sourceid=navclient-ff&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-45,GGGL:en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi)

Oh, and the note was more for whomever made the topic I parodied.

LCR
2009-08-06, 04:21 AM
I prefer tuna salad or crab salad sandwiches.
My favourite sub ever would probably be the tuna sub from a chain called "Jimmy John" (sic?), very delicious. Unfortunately, you can't get those in Germany. We only have Subway's.
I also enjoy "Döner Kebab" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Döner#Germany), but I'm not sure, if you can even call that a sandwich.

Agamid
2009-08-06, 09:43 AM
the veggie burger at The Alibi Room in Newfarm. it's always changing but always had a veggie patty and sweet chilli sauce.

Or, turkish bread, toasted, drizzled with olive olive oil and balsamic vinegar, stacked with tomato, pepper, fresh basil and cheese and toasted under the griller... mmm... this is making me hungry...

or just plain vegemite and cheese :q

Avocado on a sandwich = win, like artichokes on a pizza.

Castaras
2009-08-06, 10:10 AM
Any sort of cheese sandwich.

With any of the following: Lettuce, Tomato; Ham, branston pickle; another type of cheese.

Always with butter, btw. Not too much butter, but a little bit.

I'm also partial to philadelphia(this the right word? :smallconfused:) cheeseyness. But most of all, just a slice of bread, with some sort of cheese on top, with pickle if it's cheddar, and I'm happy.

Or melted cheese on toast, with quite a bit of lea & perrins worcestershire sauce.

Yes, I like cheese. You noticed.

Agamid
2009-08-06, 10:13 AM
Any sort of cheese sandwich.

With any of the following: Lettuce, Tomato; Ham, branston pickle; another type of cheese.

Always with butter, btw. Not too much butter, but a little bit.

I'm also partial to philadelphia(this the right word? :smallconfused:) cheeseyness. But most of all, just a slice of bread, with some sort of cheese on top, with pickle if it's cheddar, and I'm happy.

Or melted cheese on toast, with quite a bit of lea & perrins worcestershire sauce.

Yes, I like cheese. You noticed.

i can't for the life of me remember where this quote came from but i had it scrawled on my high school pencil case all though my final year "Cheese exists beyond the confines of space and time."
i love cheese. cheese and ice cream are two BIG reasons i could never go vegan.

Mr.Moron
2009-08-06, 10:14 AM
i can't for the life of me remember where this quote came from but i had it scrawled on my high school pencil case all though my final year "Cheese exists beyond the confines of space and time."

What about cheese-flavored ice cream?

Castaras
2009-08-06, 10:15 AM

Cheese is the reason I couldn't go vegan (don't like icecream much). And meat is why I could never go vegetarian. :smalltongue:

@^ EWWWWWW

mikej
2009-08-06, 10:56 AM
love my foot long "Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki" at Subways. Always with the basic tomato, lettuce, added bacon, and a generous amount of slice pickles. I never order sauce if the meat is already coated in some.

I often only eat once per day. Soo I usually buy two and eat both in one meal.