PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Delaying to extend durations?

Ent
2009-08-05, 08:28 PM
Can you delay your turn to extend effects that last "until the end of your next turn"?

For instance, what made me wonder about this, Command (Cleric Attack 3, PHB). I hit a creature with Command, it is dazed "until the end of your next turn". Next turn I'm acting before it, can I delay until after it acts?

VirOath
2009-08-05, 08:30 PM
I'm 100% sure that term means that on the Initiative Number after yours on the next turn. So if you go off on a 15, the next turn the effect would end when 15 finishes.

Willing dropping down to another Initiative Number won't extend the duration.

Kylarra
2009-08-05, 08:46 PM
Nope.
p288 of the PHB specifically says that you end beneficial effects when you delay.

Indon
2009-08-05, 09:02 PM
Does it say you end detrimental ones that your enemies suffer?

Kylarra
2009-08-05, 09:05 PM
Does it say you end detrimental ones that your enemies suffer?Yep. The specific example used is of a stunned enemy.

jmbrown
2009-08-05, 09:09 PM

Detrimental effects are never at the end of your turn, they're at the end of the targets turn. You can't delay to extend the duration of a detrimental effect and you can't delay to ignore a detrimental effect. You can't take actions during a delay so you can't keep sustained powers activated.

Shadow_Elf
2009-08-05, 09:09 PM

Detrimental to an enemy is considered beneficial to you. Detrimental to you is considered beneficial to enemies.

It is quite clearly laid out in the delaying turns section of the PHB, and, as the above have stated, you are not allowed to delay to prolong beneficial effects.

Burley
2009-08-06, 06:33 AM
Detrimental effects are never at the end of your turn, they're at the end of the targets turn. You can't delay to extend the duration of a detrimental effect and you can't delay to ignore a detrimental effect. You can't take actions during a delay so you can't keep sustained powers activated.

Wiat... What? I don't think this statement is true. Since a quick flip through the PH1, PH2, and Divine Power shows me tons of "until the end of your next turn, the enemy is sliding on banana peels" type powers.